The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #151
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I remember Jim Zorn and Steve Largent...... yes I'm that old.
I remember Steve Largent. That makes you really old.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #152
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Heard an odd factoid and wanted to know if anyone can confirm this.

Is there a single player on the Seahawks roster with super bowl experience?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #153
theknowitall
The Football God

I know it all!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

zero. none.
theknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #154
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Well, it's not as if the Broncos are overflowing with it either. Offhand, the only ones I can think of are Manning and Welker. I'm probably missing someone, though.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #155
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Well, it's not as if the Broncos are overflowing with it either. Offhand, the only ones I can think of are Manning and Welker. I'm probably missing someone, though.
John Fox
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #156
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Woah. I totally forgot we used to be in the same division as the Seahawks. Mind = blown
When they switched to the NFC I immediately began thinking about throttling them in the Super Bowl.

Excellent.
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #157
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Tamme
Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #158
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Elway
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #159
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I remember Steve Largent. That makes you really old.
Not really. Remember the hit he put on Mike Harden?
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #160
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Well, I meant players rather than coaches or executives, but I think you are right about Tamme.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #161
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

DRC
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #162
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Nice article about the whole "number one offense" vs. "number one defense" in the super bowl thing:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/22/super-b...r-broncos-o-d/

The top-ranked defenses have come out on top three out of four times (with Denver's 1989 defense being the only loser.) However, the game has changed quite a bit since the last time we saw such a clash - - nearly a quarter century ago!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #163
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Nice article about the whole "number one offense" vs. "number one defense" in the super bowl thing:

The top-ranked defenses have come out on top three out of four times (with Denver's 1989 defense being the only loser.) However, the game has changed quite a bit since the last time we saw such a clash - - nearly a quarter century ago!
Obviously four games is also a very small sample, and if you look at each game it's actually rather murky. The 49ers won by the largest margin ever in a Super Bowl. And the 1990 Giants really should've lost. The '78 Steelers should just be thrown out as they were playing a completely different game back then. This is pretty much a non-story in my opinion.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #164
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Obviously four games is also a very small sample, and if you look at each game it's actually rather murky. The 49ers won by the largest margin ever in a Super Bowl. And the 1990 Giants really should've lost. The '78 Steelers should just be thrown out as they were playing a completely different game back then. This is pretty much a non-story in my opinion.
They were all playing a different game. You can't just bury receivers with physicality anymore.

Plus Sherm's going to have to be more careful, now that he's a household name. Officials will be even more sensitive to him molesting receivers, since they know the whole world will be paying specific attention to what he does.

Lots of attention is the last thing in the world I want my #1 CB to be getting.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #165
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:

Check this link: http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/20/d...championships/

Quote:
Does defense really win championships?

In a word: no.

We found that when it comes to winning a title, or winning in sports in general for that matter, offense and defense carry nearly identical weight. For example, here’s what Berman didn’t tell you: the number of Super Bowl champs with a top 10 offense? Thirty-eight. And a top 3 offense? Twenty. In other words, offense wins championships, too.

We further found that among the 45 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team — measured by points allowed that season— has won 29 times. The better offensive team won 25 times. (Note that adds up to 53, which means that some teams are the better offensive and defensive team in the Super Bowl. Nineteen Super Bowls have featured a team superior on both sides of the ball. Those teams have won 14 of those games.) It’s a slight edge for defense, but it’s a pretty close call and not different from random chance. The favorite statistic of the “defense wins championships” proponents is that the top-ranked defense during the regular season has won 15 Super Bowls, whereas the top-ranked offense has won only 8. Although this would seem to confer an advantage to defense, these two numbers are not statistically different. And, remember, since the top-three defenses have won no more than the top-three offensive teams, it also means that offensive teams ranked 2 and 3 have won more Super Bowls than the second- and third-best defensive teams, though again, these differences are not statistically significant.
Freakonomics
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #166
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Anyone who knows anything about football knows winning championships is about being better than your opponent in whatever way is possible. Bronco fans know that great offense is a very effective way to win Super Bowls. We also know that our defense needed to be good too. It's about playing a better all-around game than your opponent, nothing more.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #167
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Anyone have the GIF of the Broncos Seahag game where Elway dropped back, was blitzed only to duck and use the blitzer's momentum to spin him over then pop up and throw a 50 yard TD?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #168
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Better question : why would anyone with a sense of football knowledge suggest a coach needs to go in 1999 who just won back to back championships and then lost the 1998 MVP and his HOF starting QB.

That type of analysis is crazier then Tebowers or better yet just a simpleton
Absolutely. I at least waited until 2002 when he didn't take Ed Reeeeeeeeed.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #169
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
This board was around in 1999?
I made the argument that Shannyham should be fired back on the old (and now long defunct) DPO site. That site predated even the OrangeMane.

I still remember when Taco John announced that he was setting up *this* site. In the beginning right after I joined the OM, every post I made got moved to the "Horse's Butt" and then before the first week was out, I was banned from this site for nothing worse than having a dissenting opinion. So I never returned even after the ban had been lifted.

Then the DPO died, and so did the DPO-like follow on sites, so I decided to give the OrangeMane another try. And I'm glad I did.

You clowns can advocate for me to be banned all you want, but in the real world being "smug" is NOT a bannable offense. And for the record, "smugness" is very often the result of being able say: "I told you so!"
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #170
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I made the argument that Shannyham should be fired back on the old (and now long defunct) DPO site. That site predated even the OrangeMane.

I still remember when Taco John announced that he was setting up *this* site. In the beginning right after I joined the OM, every post I made got moved to the "Horse's Butt" and then before the first week was out, I was banned from this site for nothing worse than having a dissenting opinion. So I never returned even after the ban had been lifted.

Then the DPO died, and so did the DPO-like follow on sites, so I decided to give the OrangeMane another try. And I'm glad I did.

You clowns can advocate for me to be banned all you want, but in the real world being "smug" is NOT a bannable offense. And for the record, "smugness" is very often the result of being able say: "I told you so!"
You're not the same Armchair Bronco from the DPO days.

You're a fraud.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #171
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Anyone have the GIF of the Broncos Seahag game where Elway dropped back, was blitzed only to duck and use the blitzer's momentum to spin him over then pop up and throw a 50 yard TD?
I looked but couldn't find anything on YouTube. However, I *was* at that game in Seattle, cheering for the Broncos. It was the signature passing play of Elway's career.

EDIT: Here it is. Scroll forward to about 1:38

It's my all-time favorite Elway play.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-23-2014 at 03:00 AM..
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #172
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post

SF; DR

seattle fan; didnt read
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #173
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Heard an odd factoid and wanted to know if anyone can confirm this.

Is there a single player on the Seahawks roster with super bowl experience?
Seems like deja vu with the Atlanta Falcons in SB 33 -- they run their mouths every time a microphone's in sight and party like "oh, yeah -- somewhere in the midst of this big media-fueled vacation, a game will be played". Meanwhile the Broncos (as in '98) will remain disciplined and focused on film study and preparation for the game.

The time for celebration and partying is -- after the final game is in the books. T'is the difference between a team that's "been there before" and one that has not.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #174
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Seems like deja vu with the Atlanta Falcons in SB 33 -- they run their mouths every time a microphone's in sight and party like "oh, yeah -- somewhere in the midst of this big media-fueled vacation, a game will be played". Meanwhile the Broncos (as in '98) will remain disciplined and focused on film study and preparation for the game.

The time for celebration and partying is -- after the final game is in the books. T'is the difference between a team that's "been there before" and one that has not.
Everybody in Seattle is convinced that they've already beaten the Broncos.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote