The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Was the McDaniels "Era" worth it?
Yes 54 57.45%
No 40 42.55%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default Was the McDaniels "Era" worth it?

The Broncos had become a middle of the pack franchise and McD took them to rock bottom.

Regardless of what happens in 2 weeks, did the McD debacle have to happen for everything that came after it?

Where would they be if Bowlen had kept Shanahan for even just one more season?

Poll forthcoming.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
kappys
Ring of Famer

It will be of little avail to the

If it took the Mcdaniels era to help Pat Bowlen's booze addled brain recognize that he needed to get real leadership for the Broncos and bring in JE then absolutely. We were never getting back to the superbowl with Shanny and the terrible defenses and coordinators that he was bringing in.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

I don't get how anyone could vote no in this poll. Without McDaniels we are almost certainly still wallowing in mediocrity with Cutler at the helm, and Elway might have never taken over the team.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I was thinking this exact thing as they kept showing McDip**** on the Pats sideline during the game yesterday. If not for him, we would never have been here. Weird how things work out...
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

If we win in NY then yes
Ill take the lowest of lows if can lead to the highest of highs
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

It is especially worth it considering the light-speed turnaround we have experienced. From the McD era to Super Bowl in 3 short years!

God bless you, John Elway.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks to McDamnit's ineptness at GM/HC we got Manning.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The Broncos had become a middle of the pack franchise and McD took them to rock bottom.

Regardless of what happens in 2 weeks, did the McD debacle have to happen for everything that came after it?

Where would they be if Bowlen had kept Shanahan for even just one more season?

Poll forthcoming.
There's a douchebag poster on patsfans.com with the same username as you, backing the hawks in th big game in 2 weeks.

Tell me it's a coincidence
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

It was definitely worth it. A lot of our core players were drafted by McDaniels. He also brought us Mike McCoy (helped us get to the playoffs with Tebow which couldn't have hurt the Manning chase), Adam Gase, Studdesville and front office guys like Keith Kidd and Matt Russel....

Also, going through those down years make the good years like this one feel so much better.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

No. That was an awful time and the single worst person in the history of the franchise. I don't view it as the "key" to unlocking Elway/Manning or anything like that. These are independent things. Someone else could have come in and failed less spectacularly and we could have still ended up in the same spot. Key word being could...we don't know. There isn't a per se connection.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-20-2014 at 08:45 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
bombay
Ring of Famer

If it forced John Elway's hand, maybe. That useless little piece of **** wanted us to be patsies West. We are the Denver Broncos, and we are second to none. Screw the patsies west. We Are Broncos.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsCheer View Post
There's a douchebag poster on patsfans.com with the same username as you, backing the hawks in th big game in 2 weeks.

Tell me it's a coincidence
That name is notorious in the Simpsons fanbase.

As is Handsome B. Wonderful.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
No.
I forgot about the people who still think Shanahan and Cutler would've won a Super Bowl for us. Yeah that probably accounts for all the no's you will see in this poll. Crazy nutters.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't get how anyone could vote no in this poll. Without McDaniels we are almost certainly still wallowing in mediocrity with Cutler at the helm, and Elway might have never taken over the team.
I did but I want to change it! Having the GOAT for a few of his best years, then it was worth it, win or lose next week
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

To have a coaching situation completely collapse on itself was new for me as a Broncos fan. I was born in 1981. In my life Denver has had 5 coaches. Two of them coached for 26 out of 32 years I've walked the earth. It is strange to not have a successful team to root for.

The last three seasons has been a complete trip. 3 playoff wins. 3 division crowns. Top seed in the conference for two straight seasons and now a 7th superbowl appearance. I honestly am floored by the turn around in a relatively short time. All because of some dude named Elway, hiring some guy named Fox and both of them deciding that Manning guy would fit here.

Amazing. So I suppose it is a yes. The McDaniels "era" was worth it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

I suppose one could make the argument that the total and complete destruction of both Germany and Japan allowed these countries to be rebuilt as the economic powerhouses that they are today.

However, this history of Germany and Japan prior to 1945-1946 left countless millions of casualties in its wake. Nothing can justify that kind of carnage.

Shannyham needed to go, no question about that. But he needed to go after the Brian Griese experiment failed, not nearly a decade later. Replacing one failed dictator with another failed dictator ALWAYS spells disaster.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
No. That was an awful time and the single worst person in the history of the franchise. I don't view it as the "key" to unlocking Elway/Manning or anything like that. These are independent things. Someone else could have come in and failed less spectacularly and we could have still ended up in the same spot. Key word being could...we don't know. There isn't a per se connection.
Agreed. McDaniels is/was an idiot. His douchebaggery w/ Cutler and Marshall wins first prize in the stoopid bowl......followed closely by Dumerville phone wrecks
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Is the argument for the yes that had those events not happened we would not have been able to get Peyton Manning? I suppose I would rather have Manning than Cutler. And I prefer this coaching staff to whatever unqualified and untalented personal friends Shanahan would have rolled out every year at the various coordinator positions. I personally feel once Shanny was gone, Cutler decided he was going to leave regardless. He wanted to play elsewhere and lied to get his way.

But assuming he leaves regardless, that doesn't excuse the wasted draft picks and the horrid trades for crap players. Those are things that really hurt the franchise.

I am grateful for the Tebow season, I guess. The Steelers wild card win is one of the most exciting playoff games I can remember watching. But at the end of the day it was all a mirage.

I still think McDaniels did poorly in a lot of ways and hurt this franchise. Am I grateful that Elway and Fox were able to work with what was here and keep building on that? Yes. Do I appreciate that some of the problem McDaniels caused directly led to Manning being able to come here? Yes. But that doesn't mean we couldn't have had similar circumstances and not had to go through the McDaniels hell. So I'll say no.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I suppose one could make the argument that the total and complete destruction of both Germany and Japan allowed these countries to be rebuilt as the economic powerhouses that they are today.

However, this history of Germany and Japan prior to 1945-1946 left countless millions of casualties in its wake. Nothing can justify that kind of carnage.

Shannyham needed to go, no question about that. But he needed to go after the Brian Griese experiment failed, not nearly a decade later. Replacing one failed dictator with another failed dictator ALWAYS spells disaster.

You cannot compare occupied Germany and Japan to the 2009-10 Denver Broncos. One is a football team, the other was the defeat of two of the most evil war machines mankind has ever devised. And Shanahan and McDaniels are not and can never be compared to Hitler and Tojo.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #20
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

HEll no...remember Kyle Orton. How can you ever ask if that was worth it?
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

No
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Well the McD "path" led us to our current situation for sure, 100%, positive. Therefore, due to the McD ---> Elway/Manning connection being a 100% correlation, I still vote that yes, it was worth it. As you said, we don't know if another crappy coach would've led us to our current situation. McDip**** did, and we know that. Give me the guarantee...as painful as it seems, thanks McDouchebag!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
HEll no...remember Kyle Orton. How can you ever ask if that was worth it?
Even Orton delivered some memorable moments!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #24
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

If he was a blessing in disguise it was purely unintentional, obviously. But his complete and total failure inadvertently cleared the decks for the next wave, and helped the organization to stop clinging to the mediocrity that had consumed the team in the late Shanahan era.
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I forgot about the people who still think Shanahan and Cutler would've won a Super Bowl for us. Yeah that probably accounts for all the no's you will see in this poll. Crazy nutters.
The word is delusional. SoCal is one of them. I would hope others see what has now become a possible World Championship to Denver.

I didn't hate on McDaniels right from the start so I only had maybe 12 months of being sick of him and what he did to our franchise. 12 months and now the verge of a Super Bowl? Sure it is now worth it and amazing what we still are digging out of is a sliver since we have proven we have what it takes to get to the promise land. The pieces he did at least give us has proven to help the team. Who knows if his first draft could have produced better players with a different coach but why speculate now. McDaniels failed but do we really want to take a chance on hiring a better coach (or keeping status quo) and think we would be in a better position today? We got what we wanted...well almost.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-20-2014 at 09:08 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote