The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Default Extra point change possible in the future?

Hmm, bot sure how I feel about this, they should leave it as is IMO. Heard Goodell on NFLN today, talking about illegal hit penalties being reviewed possibly, and they mentioned there may be a change in the future with extra points...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315809/article/goodell-believes-penalized-hits-will-become-reviewable.

Could the extra point be in danger? It's not as far-fetched as you might think. "There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about." Goodell said. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

That's not a horrible idea. the extra point is one of the most irrelevant plays in all of sports. It is a given 99.9% of the time. If they are going to continue to bring in more review they need to cut something out. I can't think of a better place to start.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
hades

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I'd be surprised, unless they automatically go to more commercial breaks after a TD. Liek 2 minutes worth of it straight. Right now, score a TD, commercial, kick the extra point, commercial. Kick off, commercial, that's a lot of TV revenue right there, they could miss 1/3 of it.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

So you want to eliminate a important part of a kickers job and pretty much eliminate kickoffs. What's next? Making people fair catch all punts?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

But we'd never have another moment like this again:

Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I do think the extra point is pretty much automatic, but I don't see why Goodell can't leave well enough alone.

That ****er isn't happy unless he's tinkering the **** around and trying to alter the game.

Listen ginger bush....you've got a serious power complex and won't be happy until you alter the game into your vision of what you want football to look like.

When you make a change like that, it trickles down to every other level of football.

I'm getting tired of red ****ing around with the game like he's been doing.

That ginger mentioned a possible Super Bowl in London in the future....**** off buddy, I'm all for the global market, blah, blah, blah and understand the economic possibilities....but ****ing the fans in our country over by playing the Super Bowl overseas would be a slap in the face.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
manchambo
Ring of Famer

I actually don't think this change would be that big of a deal, but I don't think it should be made. They are going to have to change plenty of things in coming years for safety reasons. Please just leave some traditions be if there isn't a safety reason to change them.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Why not just make them kick the extra point from farther away if it is too automatic?
They changed the kick-off distance supposedly to make it safer, so the distance of a kick isn't cast in concrete.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

Is there any other sports league where the rules constantly change like NFL? So weird. But this won't happen.
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
jerseyguy4
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Like some others, I don't think it's a bad idea, at least for consideration.

I don't have a big problem with Goodell. It doesn't hurt to discuss points of the game and consider options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Bob View Post
Why not just make them kick the extra point from farther away if it is too automatic?
They changed the kick-off distance supposedly to make it safer, so the distance of a kick isn't cast in concrete.
At first read, this is a very interesting idea.
However, this would change the game even more than Goodell's idea. More missed kicked extra points would encourage more 2 point attempts. TD's would much more often result in 6 or 8 points. I still like the idea though. Even 5 yards back makes a decent difference.
jerseyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

this the same idiot who wants to expand the playoffs to include 4 more teams in the playoffs
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Goodell was on NFLN explaing the EP thing. A theory being bounced around is you score, it is an automatic 7. Unless you go for 8. If you get the conversion, you get 8. If you fail the conversion, you get 6.

...They are going full retard in New York.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Just make the extra point a kick from the 30 yard line, don't over think it. The refs screw **** up enough already don't add math (I know the refs don't add up the scores)
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Instead of tinkering with the rules, and messing with all of the deep knowledge of 7's and 3's that most football fans have accumulated over the years (3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21) I think he should just focus on having a full season of games over in London each year.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Each team should have to play one of its games over in London @ Wembley stadium. This means there would be 16 games in London during a 16-game season. British fans with season tickets would get to see every team once.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Instead of tinkering with the rules, and messing with all of the deep knowledge of 7's and 3's that most football fans have accumulated over the years (3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21) I think he should just focus on having a full season of games over in London each year.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Each team should have to play one of its games over in London @ Wembley stadium. This means there would be 16 games in London during a 16-game season. British fans with season tickets would get to see every team once.
This is a horrible idea........
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #16
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
This is a horrible idea........
X eleventy billion! I hate 1 game in London each year. This is the National Football League, not the World Football League.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #17
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Goodell was on NFLN explaing the EP thing. A theory being bounced around is you score, it is an automatic 7. Unless you go for 8. If you get the conversion, you get 8. If you fail the conversion, you get 6.

...They are going full retard in New York.

I actually don't think it's a bad idea. Scoring would be exactly the same. If a team decides to go for 2.....then they would still end up with either 6 or 8 points, just as they would now.

It only eliminates actually kicking the XP.....which as we say, is practically automatic anyway.

We know the Pats will be for doing away with it.......I believe Gronk broke his forearm on an XP play.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #18
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

This is stupid. It's been a long time part of the game, why change it. Sure it's pretty much a guarantee that it will be made, but what is it hurting to do it? What's being solved? Less boring? The kick barely takes any time to do. It's not like we are waiting hours for the kick to take place.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

I watched the same interview and he also mentioned that every play should be exciting, and the extra point kick is not. He also said that 6 out of 1,200 extra points this regular season missed. Not sure if that is accurate, just regurgitating what Goodell said.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #20
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I watched the same interview and he also mentioned that every play should be exciting, and the extra point kick is not. He also said that 6 out of 1,200 extra points this regular season missed. Not sure if that is accurate, just regurgitating what Goodell said.
Every play exciting? I guess to Goodell nothing is more exciting than a touchback!
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
I actually don't think it's a bad idea. Scoring would be exactly the same. If a team decides to go for 2.....then they would still end up with either 6 or 8 points, just as they would now.

It only eliminates actually kicking the XP.....which as we say, is practically automatic anyway.

We know the Pats will be for doing away with it.......I believe Gronk broke his forearm on an XP play.

We won a game outright against Cinci because they missed an extra point. If the Pats are for it then should we not be automatically against it?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #22
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

A blocked extra point played a part in the Broncos loss against the Jagwads in the 1996 playoffs.

They also lost to the Fade back in 1991 because of a blocked XP.

Don't say the PAT is automatic or not important.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #23
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
We won a game outright against Cinci because they missed an extra point. If the Pats are for it then should we not be automatically against it?

Touche.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #24
NYBroncoManiac
Ring of Famer

Default It's called "Football"

I think we should expand the kicking points possibilities.

Since there are so many touchbacks now, how about this: If the kick goes through the uprights on a kickoff and the kicking team manages to keep the receiving team from scoring on the ensuing possession, the kicking team gets a point.
NYBroncoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #25
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Very arena league.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote