The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default Seattle's Pass Defense

So are these guys really as good as people say? Just look at the list of QBs they have faced so far this year:

Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub
Andrew Luck
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Carson Palmer
Kellen Clemens
Mike Glennon
Matt Ryan
Christian Ponder
Drew Brees
Colin Kaepernick
Eli Manning
Carson Palmer
Kellen Clemens
Drew Brees
Colin Kaepernick

Kind of puts their #1 ranked pass defense in a different light doesn't it? The only truly elite QB I see on there is Drew Brees and they got to face him twice at home where they are much better while he and the Saints are much worse on the road (Andrew Luck has elite talent, but he isn't actually elite yet). Not to discount that they are indeed good, but seriously does that list not make you think they might have a rather inflated sense of how good they really are? Does that list indicate that they are ready to take on Peyton ****ing Manning? I think they are in for a rude awakening to be honest.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default

Don't kid yourself. Seattle probably has the best D in the league. It is gonna be a tough game. Having said that we have an historically good offense and I take our D they way they have been playing against a so-so offense.

I like our chances.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Don't kid yourself. Seattle probably has the best D in the league. It is gonna be a tough game. Having said that we have an historically good offense and I take our D they way they have been playing against a so-so offense.

I like our chances.
I'm not kidding myself, and I already said their pass defense is good, but come on, look at that list and tell me their stats aren't a bit skewed by the fact that 80% of their games were against QBs who frankly kind of suck as passers. I mean Drew Brees threw for over 300 against them in driving rain in their stadium, and it was obvious to everyone watching he was greatly diminished by the weather.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

In the playoffs the Broncos defense has gone up against the #2 and #6 offenses by pts/drive and given up 17 and 16.

Seattle has faced #3 and #12, giving up 15 and 17. The two teams' defenses are not playing that differently right now.

I'd actually take our run D and corners over Seattle's. They definitely have the better safeties and probably a better pass rush. A pass rush can be neutralized by Manning, though, and their aggressive man coverage could be exploited by our "rub" routes. So the refs letting them play could help Denver's receivers just as much.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
In the playoffs the Broncos defense has gone up against the #2 and #6 offenses by pts/drive and given up 17 and 16.

Seattle has faced #3 and #12, giving up 15 and 17. The two teams' defenses are not playing that differently right now.

I'd actually take our run D and corners over Seattle's. They definitely have the better safeties and probably a better pass rush. A pass rush can be neutralized by Manning, though, and their aggressive man coverage could be exploited by our "rub" routes. So the refs letting them play could help Denver's receivers just as much.
It's not just Manning that is likely to neutralize their pass rush. Our o-line is absolutely dominant in pass protection right now.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm not kidding myself, and I already said their pass defense is good, but come on, look at that list and tell me their stats aren't a bit skewed by the fact that 80% of their games were against QBs who frankly kind of suck as passers. I mean Drew Brees threw for over 300 against them in driving rain in their stadium, and it was obvious to everyone watching he was greatly diminished by the weather.
Luck put up points on them as well. Their defense is great but nowhere near historic. Denver's offense is as historic as it gets. Pittsburgh's defense in 2011 was about as good as this Seattle D and Tebow scorched them (although Lebeau kind of blew that one).
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,958

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I was just thinking that.

Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's not just Manning that is likely to neutralize their pass rush. Our o-line is absolutely dominant in pass protection right now.
Seriously. One hurry today, and I believe just one hold (on a pass play) that was actually a bad call.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I was just thinking that.

Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.

Got to agree, this whole Seattle dominant defense smells very similar to what the Chief fans and the media were shoveling the first nine games.....................

Dominant against who ?
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I was just thinking that.

Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.
I don't really think that's true. If you actually mean elite receiver you are mostly right, though Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as an exception. Then again Fitzgerald kind of seems to be on the decline.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,958

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't really think that's true. If you actually mean elite receiver you are mostly right, though Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as an exception. Then again Fitzgerald kind of seems to be on the decline.
Larry is still good but doesn't have a functional offense around him.

They didn't even have to play vs Wayne.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Got to agree, this whole Seattle dominant defense smells very similar to what the Chief fans and the media were shoveling the first nine games.....................

Dominant against who ?
Well, their defense is probably still the best in the league but they aren't the best since the '02 Bucs or anything like that. And playing SF, St. Louis, and Arizona 6 times didn't hurt their numbers either.

The Broncos in the regular season were the most dominant overall team since the '07 Patriots. Let's hope it doesn't end the same way, and I doubt it will.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default

Don't get me wrong. We are the better team. But on your list the following are pretty decent QBs:

Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick X 2
Andrew Luck
Drew Brees X 2
Eli Manning

That is 7 games against at least decent QBs. I am not sure our QB list is any harder tbh.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
So are these guys really as good as people say? Just look at the list of QBs they have faced so far this year:

Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub
Andrew Luck
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Carson Palmer
Kellen Clemens
Mike Glennon
Matt Ryan
Christian Ponder
Drew Brees
Colin Kaepernick
Eli Manning
Carson Palmer
Kellen Clemens
Drew Brees
Colin Kaepernick

Kind of puts their #1 ranked pass defense in a different light doesn't it? The only truly elite QB I see on there is Drew Brees and they got to face him twice at home where they are much better while he and the Saints are much worse on the road (Andrew Luck has elite talent, but he isn't actually elite yet). Not to discount that they are indeed good, but seriously does that list not make you think they might have a rather inflated sense of how good they really are? Does that list indicate that they are ready to take on Peyton ****ing Manning? I think they are in for a rude awakening to be honest.
Great post, if it is not windy, Manning is going to eat them up!!!
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,897

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Thank you for bringing this up. They are definitely a solid group, but look at their division... Kaep who is an awful throwing QB... Carson Palmer who is past his prime and a turnover machine (Sherman had two of his INT's vs. him in week 15, Hawks still lost...), and Kellen Clemens played Seattle twice this year.

Seattle hasn't really been tested by a good offense except vs. Indy (Loss), Houston (won in OT after Schaub threw a pass right to Sherman during his 4 straight games of throwing a pick 6), and New Orleans. They beat up on NO pretty good but both games were at Seattle in tough conditions and bad weather favoring the defense. Andre Johnson and Marquis Colston both logged very nice days vs. the Seahawks secondary.

Everybody keeps bringing up their pass rush too. Yes, they can rush the passer but are they phenomenal at it? No. They've average 2 sacks a game the past four games.

Seattle seems like KC, only with better DB's and a worse offense. Eliminate their home field advantage and they seem very vulnerable.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Don't get me wrong. We are the better team. But on your list the following are pretty decent QBs:

Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick X 2
Andrew Luck
Drew Brees X 2
Eli Manning

That is 7 games against at least decent QBs. I am not sure our QB list is any harder tbh.
Cam Newton and Kaepernick are not good passers, sorry. They are mediocre by NFL standards when it comes to throwing the football. Eli Manning was dog**** this year, so we can throw that out. Andrew Luck is good but not eilte yet. So like I said Drew Brees is the only elite passer they have faced and they faced him in ideal conditions both times (and he still threw for quite a few yards in the playoff game).
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Don't kid yourself. Seattle probably has the best D in the league. It is gonna be a tough game. Having said that we have an historically good offense and I take our D they way they have been playing against a so-so offense.

I like our chances.
The game will come down to the 2,3,4 and 5 receiving targets versus their 2,3,4, and 5 guys in the secondary. Sherman and DT are going to battle all game long and because of that it will be which team's other guys step up.

the great thing with our offense is that it can only be contained for awhile, eventually the offense will explode and put points on the board. also, the depth of our skill position is incredible. no team, not even the mighty Seachickens have enough guys in the secondary to stop all of Peyton's targets, and while they are worried about the pass, Knowshon and Montee are running hard.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,545
Default

Plus the broncos have far better receivers than any team Seattle has played.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Don't get me wrong. We are the better team. But on your list the following are pretty decent QBs:

Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick X 2
Andrew Luck
Drew Brees X 2
Eli Manning

That is 7 games against at least decent QBs. I am not sure our QB list is any harder tbh.
Kaepernick is wildly overrated. Dude, is a 50% passer. Sure his legs are a great weapon, but to be elite you have to complete passes at a higher rate. Eli had a really down year. While he is considered a good upper tier QB his season was really bad. Of the guys listed, Newton, Luck and Brees are the only ones that are good, and Brees played them on the road where the Saints are always a completely different team away from home.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #20
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Not to discount that they are indeed good, but seriously does that list not make you think they might have a rather inflated sense of how good they really are?

Does that list indicate that they are ready to take on Peyton ****ing Manning?
Yes, and HELL NO!
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

I think the main thing I take away from this is that their defense does not match our offense if our offense plays well and we have a good gameplan. Yes they are a very good defense, but they clearly are not on par with our offense. Period. I think we will have a good amount of success against them on offense to be honest, and I think our defense is going to give them fits. The more I think about it the more I like the matchup.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Got to agree, this whole Seattle dominant defense smells very similar to what the Chief fans and the media were shoveling the first nine games.....................

Dominant against who ?
Bingo.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Cam Newton and Kaepernick are not good passers, sorry. They are mediocre by NFL standards when it comes to throwing the football. Eli Manning was dog**** this year, so we can throw that out. Andrew Luck is good but not eilte yet. So like I said Drew Brees is the only elite passer they have faced and they faced him in ideal conditions both times (and he still threw for quite a few yards in the playoff game).
First of all, WE ARE GOING TO THE SB!!!! Let's not get into any thing nasty tonight. Let's enjoy!

And so where is the list of elite QBs, or to be more fair, elite teams we have faced?

Again don't get me wrong I think we win this game. And there is no way they have faced a QB as good as Peyton because he is the best. And I think that Seattle is a pretty darn good team and it will be a tough game. All I am saying.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #24
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Another advantage the Broncos might have is that Carroll and the Seahawks already won their Super Bowl against us in the preseason. I think the Broncos will happily trade that win for this one.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #25
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
Plus the broncos have far better receivers than any team Seattle has played.
Better receivers, a larger array of offensive weapons, and WAY better O line protection.

Couple this with the likelihood that our defense should dominate their mediocre offense, and we should roll over them like a freight train.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Denver Broncos