The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Uhm, you do realize the NSA is collecting data on EVERYONE, right? I mean that's the whole Ed Snowden story.
.. for which they don't need to intercept every shipped computing device to do, like I said.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
.. for which they don't need to intercept every shipped computing device to do, like I said.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...20&postcount=5

nah, you just put requirements into manufacturers for backdoors to be built in.

(that's what my point is, this is happening - and it's broad spectrum. Phone collection data, and internet data is proof that it's not selective.)
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #28
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

What about having requirements for backdoors into technology? That is happening.

As far as expense, it doesn't matter. You've seen the Utah NSA data center, no? The Ed Snowden/NSA story states that it is blank surveillance.
Intercepting and hand modifying every piece of computing technology shipped even from just Dell is a silly claim. It would be monumentally expensive to do and impossible to hide. And laughably pointless.

Makes sense for a targeted purpose, but not as a general practice. Much easier to just force manufacturers to build in monitoring equipment and/or compromise the quality of security products.

Now, if you knew [insert specific target here] was going to order a sweet new rig from [insert maker here]? Sure, I could see that happening.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 01-07-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

(that's what my point is, this is happening - and it's broad spectrum. Phone collection data, and internet data is proof that it's not selective.)
Which is what I said. At least do me the courtesy of actually reading what I am typing, aight?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Our govt is out of control.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Our govt is out of control.
Not for the first time. History is repeating itself.

Stealing J. Edgar Hoover’s Secrets
http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/1000...it_th_20140107
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Not for the first time. History is repeating itself.

Stealing J. Edgar Hoover’s Secrets
http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/1000...it_th_20140107
Exactly. Some of this have been railing against this kind of surveillance for a loooong time. Some of us for only, oh, about the past five years or so.

And some of us call guys like Bush a "great president".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #33
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Which is what I said. At least do me the courtesy of actually reading what I am typing, aight?
Which is what I said, so I don't under stand your contention.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Intercepting and hand modifying every piece of computing technology shipped even from just Dell is a silly claim. It would be monumentally expensive to do and impossible to hide. And laughably pointless.

Makes sense for a targeted purpose, but not as a general practice. Much easier to just force manufacturers to build in monitoring equipment and/or compromise the quality of security products.

Now, if you knew [insert specific target here] was going to order a sweet new rig from [insert maker here]? Sure, I could see that happening.
It is happening from factory. Read what I am citing in the articles I post.

Did you not see the back doors built into new cell phones? Sheesh. Dudes, it is happening. I don't understand the myopia.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #35
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It is happening from factory. Read what I am citing in the articles I post.

Did you not see the back doors built into new cell phones? Sheesh. Dudes, it is happening. I don't understand the myopia.
What we're talking about is the plausibility of the claim that the NSA intercepts shipments in transit and modifies individual components. No one is even remotely arguing what you seem to think we are.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #36
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
What we're talking about is the plausibility of the claim that the NSA intercepts shipments in transit and modifies individual components. No one is even remotely arguing what you seem to think we are.
I'm not arguing. I think that's where the problem is.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #37
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Scary because i don't think any of us with a straight face could say any leader is coming along to change things. If Obama won't then i don't see it happening.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #38
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Scary because i don't think any of us with a straight face could say any leader is coming along to change things. If Obama won't then i don't see it happening.
Obama is a ****ing puppet
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #39
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

“A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!”
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #40
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Nah. Security researchers would've found widespread backdoors installed like that within months, if not weeks. Never mind the sheer number of people, even people outside the US Government's control who'd have to be both complicit in it and silent about it.

I'm not saying the government has never done it in targeted situations. But doing it on a widespread basis would never work. And would be ridiculously inefficient compared to the means already at their disposal.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #41
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Nah. Security researchers would've found widespread backdoors installed like that within months, if not weeks. Never mind the sheer number of people, even people outside the US Government's control who'd have to be both complicit in it and silent about it.

I'm not saying the government has never done it in targeted situations. But doing it on a widespread basis would never work. And would be ridiculously inefficient compared to the means already at their disposal.
It is happening (backdoor requirements), it was classified until leaked, it is wide spread.

Those are facts you can't dispute.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #42
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It is happening (backdoor requirements), it was classified until leaked, it is wide spread.

Those are facts you can't dispute.
They have backdoors with service providers and possibly software companies. But they're not effing with firmware or hardware, except maybe on specific targets.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #43
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
They have backdoors with service providers and possibly software companies. But they're not effing with firmware or hardware, except maybe on specific targets.
Incorrect.look at ed snowden, see my link in this thread about firmware required for HD manufacturers, see iphone, should I continue? Or does the nsa taking and storing, mining data for everyone not clear enough.

Last edited by alkemical; 01-09-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #44
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Incorrect.look at ed snowden, see my link in this thread about firmware required for HD manufacturers, see iphone, should I continue? Or does the nsa taking and storing, mining data for everyone not clear enough.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...illance-magic/

I've read all about it. Mostly it comes down to some advanced exploits with some targeted interception of shipping sprinkled in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of any of it under the auspices of the NSA. Especially not domestically.

But there's no way they're doing this on anything resembling a majority of hardware out there. I mean, outside of the risks of being discovered, what does it gain them? Once they have access to your pipe through your isp and content providers there's not much else they need from your computer... unless you specifically catch their interest.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #45
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised.

Right....but once I over-write it with a new version. this is all possible just an extremely ridiculous vector to take toward stealing money or infomation. There are many other ways that would bear more fruit with less effort.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #46
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...illance-magic/

I've read all about it. Mostly it comes down to some advanced exploits with some targeted interception of shipping sprinkled in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of any of it under the auspices of the NSA. Especially not domestically.

But there's no way they're doing this on anything resembling a majority of hardware out there. I mean, outside of the risks of being discovered, what does it gain them? Once they have access to your pipe through your isp and content providers there's not much else they need from your computer... unless you specifically catch their interest.
Dude, they are doing it to everyone. Hence the data center in utah. Seriously, it's happening.