The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #101
whoeey
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
This is silly. Denver the franchise and the fan base is VERY fortunate to have had two of the best QBs ever to play, play for the team. Let's hope Peyton can win multiple SBs like Elway and bring it back to Denver!

It's all opinion and preference for 97 or 13 anyway. Chocolate or Vanilla, Under Armour or Nike, Cheese or Pepperoni, Coke or Pepsi, Turkey or Ham... Lamb or Tuna.

End Thread.
Pepsi sucks. Not only do they have that terrible logo but it's basically syrup
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #102
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
Pepsi sucks. Not only do they have that terrible logo but it's basically syrup
!
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #103
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

It's a trip, this current Broncos team is probably going to break the points record for a single season, and they have a quarterback who is probably going to set the record for the most passing yards and TDs in a season, but I'd have a hard time taking anybody on this current offense over anybody from the '97 offense.

With the rules totally geared towards the offense today, it's not shocking that long standing records are being broken repeatedly.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #104
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
That 96,97 and 98 defense wasn't shut down maybe top 15 at there time. 97 defense barely stop Bret in the Super Bowl and the 98 defense are secretly thanking Gary Anderson's foot in the 98 NFC championship.
I wanted Minnesota. This is why I want the Seahawks in the Super Bowl this year. I'm in the minority.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #105
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

ZERO of the 2013 offensive starters could crack the '97 lineup ... that '97 offense led the league in points and yards. Maybe somebody could beat out Brian Habib, but that'd be it.

'97 Broncos offense started 5 Hall-of-Famers (Rod Smith=M.Irvin, TD>Sayers). Nalen and Griffith and maybe Jones played at near-HOF levels that year, leaving Easy Ed, Stink Schlereth and Brian Habib.

Demaryious over Ed? I think not, youngster doesn't block.
Beadles over Stink? No ...
Beadles over Habib? Maybe.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #106
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Why to even create these threads..How do we will know?..One of the stupid threads in mane.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #107
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
Notice Peyton's body language and pouty looks on his face when things aren't going his way. The Duke never did that. Ever.
Except in the blowout loss to the 9ers in the Superbowl....
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #108
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
ZERO of the 2013 offensive starters could crack the '97 lineup ... that '97 offense led the league in points and yards. Maybe somebody could beat out Brian Habib, but that'd be it.

'97 Broncos offense started 5 Hall-of-Famers (Rod Smith=M.Irvin, TD>Sayers). Nalen and Griffith and maybe Jones played at near-HOF levels that year, leaving Easy Ed, Stink Schlereth and Brian Habib.

The 2013 offense is number one in almost every stastical category.. And many of which are all time records..
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #109
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Good thing Beadles isn't even the best guard on this team. Vasquez starts over all of them.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #110
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
It's a trip, this current Broncos team is probably going to break the points record for a single season, and they have a quarterback who is probably going to set the record for the most passing yards and TDs in a season, but I'd have a hard time taking anybody on this current offense over anybody from the '97 offense.

With the rules totally geared towards the offense today, it's not shocking that long standing records are being broken repeatedly.
I dunno if I agree. 97 was Rod Smith's first year as a starter. If the choices are 97 Rod Smith or 2013 Demaryius Thomas, i think its a toss up. Honestly, same probably goes for Deck and McCaffery.

Also, I love Elway, but if Peyton sets all those records this year? C'mon. He's having an incredible season. Elway completed like 55 percent of his passes that year.

Louis Vazquez over Brian Habib.

We don't play with a fullback, but we have a Welker, which the 97 team didn't have.

On D, I'll take Von ... Knighton and Traylor are probably washes, Vickerson probably better than Lodish. DRC is better than both our corners from that season, and is there anything special about Allen Aldrige? Probably not.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #111
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
Notice Peyton's body language and pouty looks on his face when things aren't going his way. The Duke never did that. Ever.
Not for nothin', but do you remember the end of Dan Reeves's tenure??
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #112
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Manning starts. Thomas starts. Decker possibly. Knighton, Von, Vasquez, Moreno/Ball are a lot better than Louville for RB2.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #113
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The 2013 offense is number one in almost every stastical category.. And many of which are all time records..
That is true, and I'd still have a hard time taking any of these guys over the guys on the '97 offense.

The rules are different, which leads to these crazy numbers. The passing TD record stood for over 20 years and nobody even threatened it. Now it's going to be broken for a second time in about 6 or so years. The points record will also be broken again in that same time period.

To an extent, it is comparing apples to oranges because of the way the game is called now. But I'd still have a hard time taking any of these guys over the '97 guys. An argument can be made that the current offensive players are doing so well because they have one of the best QBs ever who is playing at a time where the rules are totally geared toward QBs. Take Manning off of this team and we're not talking about this. As great as Manning has been this year, I'd still take an old Elway over him.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #114
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Manning starts. Thomas starts. Decker possibly. Knighton, Von, Vasquez, Moreno/Ball are a lot better than Louville for RB2.
I would say that Thomas (both of them) and Decker ride the bench. Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery, and Shannon Sharpe lit it up big time. Hell, those guys still put up big numbers after Elway retired.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #115
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Not for nothin', but do you remember the end of Dan Reeves's tenure??
God, that was ugly.

Reeves broke out the shuttle system with Maddox and Moore alternating plays.

They went on that skid when Elway went down with a shoulder injury and got buried in KC with the playoffs on the line when he tried to play with one arm.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #116
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Vasquez is the only offensive starter over the 97 team. Everyone else: nope.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #117
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
I dunno if I agree. 97 was Rod Smith's first year as a starter. If the choices are 97 Rod Smith or 2013 Demaryius Thomas, i think its a toss up. Honestly, same probably goes for Deck and McCaffery.

Also, I love Elway, but if Peyton sets all those records this year? C'mon. He's having an incredible season. Elway completed like 55 percent of his passes that year.

We don't play with a fullback, but we have a Welker, which the 97 team didn't have.

On D, I'll take Von ... Knighton and Traylor are probably washes, Vickerson probably better than Lodish. DRC is better than both our corners from that season, and is there anything special about Allen Aldrige? Probably not.
Well, this is kind of an apples and oranges debate. If we really want to split hairs, are we playing under the '97 rules, or the current rules? Is this Shanahan's offense, which had great balance, and at times would be run heavy, or is this the current Broncos offense, which is pass heavy (unless it's 30 degrees...sorry, I couldn't resist ).

If we're talking about who would start on the '97 team, I'll take pretty much everybody on the '97 roster. If we're talking about who would start on the '13 team, well, now we have a debate. Like you mentioned, this team doesn't play with a FB. So does that mean that Griffith is out of the game, or are we changing the offense to include him? TD was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield, but Moreno has come up big. Are we really going to start Moreno over TD? That's just crazy, but this Broncos team isn't run heavy.

And you made a really good point. If we're talking about Rod Smith in '97, maybe you take Thomas. If we talking about Rod Smith when he hit the peak of his career, and was very good for a long time, I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.

As interesting of a debate as this is, it is pretty flawed.

With that being said, '97 and '98 Broncos kills this Broncos team! If this Broncos team wins the Super Bowl, then I'll be more than happy to entertain that argument.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 12-16-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #118
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Outside of TD and some oline guys and Sharpe, I think this year's offense is pretty much equal to that 1997 team, and Manning already has a ring where as Elway did not.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #119
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I love Elway, but if Peyton sets all those records this year? C'mon. He's having an incredible season. Elway completed like 55 percent of his passes that year.

DRC is better than both our corners from that season, and is there anything special about Allen Aldrige? Probably not.
Best analysis yet, rep. I'm a huge Vasquez fan, can't believe I missed him ... but then realized for some reason I was comparing the 2012 team.

I didn't think anybody would actually debate Elway vs. Manning ... you're chasing your tail there. It's like debating Batman vs. Spiderman or Dr. Manhattan vs. The Silver Surfer, there is no answer.

Must disagree on DRC however. He might be comparable to Ray Crockett - even though Shannon Sharpe says his brother Sterling thought Crockett was about the best he faced, and was glad we signed him out of the NFC North. No, I've always felt Darrien Gordon was a very important and productive cog for those teams, maybe most underrated player. Had a special period of service - signed a two-year deal before the '97 season, started all 39 games those two years, then left. He finished 1997 with 2 sacks and 4 interceptions, one for a TD ... was 2nd in the league in punt returns, including 3 TDs.*

* Just learned: NFL all-time career leader in punt ret avg through 2012 ... Click here.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #120
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

'97 Corners < '13 Corners

'97 Safeties > '13 Safeties (not even close)

'97 D. Tackles < '13 D. Tackles (assuming a healthy Vickerson)

'97 D. Ends > '13 D. Ends

Mobley > Woodyard (barely...both are solid)

Trevethan > Romonawski

Von's probably a better pass rusher than any member of the '97 D.

Offense is a whole different discussion. Both are/were great, but are vastly different. The only obvious talent differential is with Vasquez over Habib, IMO.

Shannon Sharpe's ability as a receiver would create mis-matches in coverage or get the defense to play nickel (in which case, the '97 Broncos would pummel the opposing defense in the trenches). The '97 receivers were better blockers, but the '13 receivers are better route runners. Like I say, I find it pretty tricky to compare the 2 offenses.

I'm not touching the Elway-Manning debate. I'm just glad we've had both QB's on our roster
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #121
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
The '97 receivers were better blockers, but the '13 receivers are better route runners. Like I say, I find it pretty tricky to compare the 2 offenses.

I'm not touching the Elway-Manning debate. I'm just glad we've had both QB's on our roster
When people talk about Smith/McCaffrey vs. Thomas/Decker, people say that Smith and McCaffrey were better blockers. That is true, but to me it goes beyond that. They were better receivers too. Now if we're talking about Smith and McCaffrey in '97, and not their overall careers, then Thomas/Decker have an argument. Like it was pointed out earlier, '97 was Smith's first year as a starter. He really developed into a very good receiver after that, and better than anything that Thomas and Decker have been.

When it comes to route running, McCaffrey was one of the best route runners that I have ever seen. That, along with a tall frame and great hands, made him a very good receiver.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #122
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Zero of our current receivers could do this:

And we really could use a large dose of it.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #123
Bronco Yoda

LMAO! This thread be funny. You can tell some peeps never watched the 97, 98 Championships.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #124
jmz313
Ring of Famer

I'll take every member of the 97 team. They did win their superbowl.

Different game then, big play D, good O, had some nasty, 97 team took care of biz. Eddie Mac would dominate today's game just as much as he did then if not more but DT would get beat up and flail with all the contact that was allowed then. Manning ain't tucking a ball and running head first for the goal line.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #125
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

This.

I also would take HEALTHY Woody over Cadrez and also agree with Welker over Griffith since that's the closest comparison (11 personnel vs 21)

Regardless, I love them all.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote