The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore....

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...christmas.html

"Of course, since we created Santa, we can certainly change him however we’d like—and we have, many times over. Like the holiday itself, Santa has long since been extracted from his religious roots, even if the name St. Nicholas still gets thrown around. Our current design takes inspiration from multiple sources, including Washington Irving’s 1809 description of St. Nick “riding jollily among the tree tops, or over the roofs of the houses, now and then drawing forth magnificent presents from his breeches pockets, and dropping them down the chimnies of his favourites.” When Clement Clarke Moore published “A Visit from St. Nicholas” in 1823, the old man was described and illustrated as a “plump” but elfin figure. Since then, Santa has been redesigned and re-appropriated to push everything from soda to war.

So let’s ditch Santa the old white man altogether, and embrace Penguin Claus—who will join the Easter Bunny in the pantheon of friendly, secular visitors from the animal kingdom who come to us as the representatives of ostensibly religious holidays. It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin."

HOUGHTAM PROBABLY AGREES that JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK NEEDS TO DIE AND GO AWAY!!!

Last edited by txtebow; 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM..
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

don't worry, the Left has canceled Christmas

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...christmas.html

"Of course, since we created Santa, we can certainly change him however we’d like—and we have, many times over. Like the holiday itself, Santa has long since been extracted from his religious roots, even if the name St. Nicholas still gets thrown around. Our current design takes inspiration from multiple sources, including Washington Irving’s 1809 description of St. Nick “riding jollily among the tree tops, or over the roofs of the houses, now and then drawing forth magnificent presents from his breeches pockets, and dropping them down the chimnies of his favourites.” When Clement Clarke Moore published “A Visit from St. Nicholas” in 1823, the old man was described and illustrated as a “plump” but elfin figure. Since then, Santa has been redesigned and re-appropriated to push everything from soda to war.

So let’s ditch Santa the old white man altogether, and embrace Penguin Claus—who will join the Easter Bunny in the pantheon of friendly, secular visitors from the animal kingdom who come to us as the representatives of ostensibly religious holidays. It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin."

HOUGHTAM PROBABLY AGREES that JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK NEEDS TO DIE AND GO AWAY!!!
At first I thought that this was an article from the ONION...but sadly, it's NOT....
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

here's one that will get the right's panties in a wad. jesus was probably not white either.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

come on...Jews aren't white

a little help gaff?

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Johnykbr
Perennial Pro-bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
here's one that will get the right's panties in a wad. jesus was probably not white either.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Jesus had "olive" colored skin (most closely similar to a present-day Greek) as they say and that the one we see so often is just a European representation...
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Not according to this dumb whore.

It's totally, like, a scientifically verifiable fact, like, ohmyGOD!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...white.cnn.html
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

If you like your Santa Claus being a white man, you'll be able to keep your white Santa, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

I'm sure this brings back childhood memories huh HOUGHTAM?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa.jpg (10.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

the war against white christian heterosexual males enters its final phases.....

Lincoln was really gay, black, muslim vampire killer, doncha know?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Oh hell, why not?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg barackoclaus.jpg (15.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Who was Saint Nicholas?

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/origin-of-santa/

How did the kindly Christian saint, good Bishop Nicholas, become a roly-poly red-suited American symbol for merry holiday festivity and commercial activity? History tells the tale.

The first Europeans to arrive in the New World brought St. Nicholas. Vikings dedicated their cathedral to him in Greenland. On his first voyage, Columbus named a Haitian port for St. Nicholas on December 6, 1492. In Florida, Spaniards named an early settlement St. Nicholas Ferry, now known as Jacksonville. However, St. Nicholas had a difficult time during the 16th century Protestant Reformation which took a dim view of saints. Even though both reformers and counter-reformers tried to stamp out St. Nicholas-related customs, they had very little long-term success except in England where the religious folk traditions were permanently altered. (It is ironic that fervent Puritan Christians began what turned into a trend to a more secular Christmas observance.) Because the common people so loved St. Nicholas, he survived on the European continent as people continued to place nuts, apples, and sweets in shoes left beside beds, on windowsills, or before the hearth
Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
houghtam
Ring of Famer

That's only part of the story. Contrary to popular opinion, St. Nicholas isn't the sole basis for Santa Claus mythology.

Santa is a combination of St. Nick, Norse and Germanic gods, and other Christmas figures such as Father Christmas/Pere Noel. I suggest you educate yourself in those facts before simply copying and pasting what someone else thinks it is.

So if Santa is already a combination of a bunch of different bits of lore and legend, I have absolutely no problem with anyone ascribing to Santa qualities outside what we in the 21st century feel is tradition. To deny someone that ability is nothing short of hypocrisy, considering someone 1000 years ago would likely be confused or angry over what "our" definition of Santa (reindeer, elves) has become.

Simply put, since "your" Santa is already a bastard, you don't get to complain about the bastardization of "their" Santa.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
That's only part of the story. Contrary to popular opinion, St. Nicholas isn't the sole basis for Santa Claus mythology.

Santa is a combination of St. Nick, Norse and Germanic gods, and other Christmas figures such as Father Christmas/Pere Noel. I suggest you educate yourself in those facts before simply copying and pasting what someone else thinks it is.

So if Santa is already a combination of a bunch of different bits of lore and legend, I have absolutely no problem with anyone ascribing to Santa qualities outside what we in the 21st century feel is tradition. To deny someone that ability is nothing short of hypocrisy, considering someone 1000 years ago would likely be confused or angry over what "our" definition of Santa (reindeer, elves) has become.

Simply put, since "your" Santa is already a bastard, you don't get to complain about the bastardization of "their" Santa.

No I WILL complain about THEIR attempts to undermine my Good Ole' Saint NICK and a holiday born from EUROPEAN TRADITIONS AND CULTURE!

Let them imagine "KWANZA CLAUS" as AA.... I down wit dat........
Old 12-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No I WILL complain about THEIR attempts to undermine my Good Ole' Saint NICK and a holiday born from EUROPEAN TRADITIONS AND CULTURE!

Let them imagine "KWANZA CLAUS" as AA.... I down wit dat........
Complain all you want. Won't do you any good, and reeks of hypocrisy.

Personally, I grew up believing in the traditional image of Santa, but like I said, it doesn't bother me one iota what other people believe. I thought you righties were all about personal freedom.

Besides, isn't Christmas supposed to be about, you know, Christ? I'm sure Jee-zuss would be thrilled with your narrow views.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Hey txtebow, do you know where St. Nicholas was born?

Demre, Turkey. Here is a man in Demre (jolly ole St. Nick's stomping grounds) selling St. Nick memorabilia:

Sure looks like a white guy to me!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey-icons1.jpg (86.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Complain all you want. Won't do you any good, and reeks of hypocrisy.

Personally, I grew up believing in the traditional image of Santa, but like I said, it doesn't bother me one iota what other people believe. I thought you righties were all about personal freedom.

Besides, isn't Christmas supposed to be about, you know, Christ? I'm sure Jee-zuss would be thrilled with your narrow views.
Imagine the hilarity of having the historical figures of St. Nick and Jesus time warped to the present? The winguts would blow a gasket on the first look.

"You mean, they're brown? LIES!"
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Mustafa Guzel, owner of a shop near the cathedral, probably looks a lot more similar to St. Nicholas (b. Nikolaos...that sure is an Anglo name! ) than Santa Claus does.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg stnick.jpeg (27.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Imagine the hilarity of having the historical figures of St. Nick and Jesus time warped to the present? The winguts would blow a gasket on the first look.

"You mean, they're brown? LIES!"
Yeppers.

txtebow: "You can't steal the icon for Christmas that we stole in the first place! Next you're going to tell me that we didn't invent the Christmas tree or that gift-giving near the winter solstice happened for hundreds of years before Christmas was ever celebrated!"
Old 12-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Hey txtebow, do you know where St. Nicholas was born?

Demre, Turkey. Here is a man in Demre (jolly ole St. Nick's stomping grounds) selling St. Nick memorabilia:

Sure looks like a white guy to me!

I'm olive skinned and Italian; I recognize Santa Claus as white and the guy pictured above looks a lot more like me and Santa than the author of the original article noted in post #1

Further, post a picture of a guy from Brooklyn, New York, in 1920 and he looks just like me; post a picture of a guy from Brooklyn New York tiday and he's likely to look Puerto Rican or Black.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Yeppers.

txtebow: "You can't steal the icon for Christmas that we stole in the first place! Next you're going to tell me that we didn't invent the Christmas tree or that gift-giving near the winter solstice happened for hundreds of years before Christmas was ever celebrated!"
You stand for nothing. I stand proud. That's what makes me successful and what makes you an unemployed ex concession stand manager. If we ever met in person I'd bet I would feel ashamed for even conversing with you.

LONG LIVE THE FAT, WHITE & BEARDED JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK!!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Anyone else find it ironic that someone fighting so hard for the image of Santa Claus, a symbol of peace and goodness, has to resort to personal attacks to try and get whatever point he is trying to make across?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Anyone else find it ironic that someone fighting so hard for the image of Santa Claus, a symbol of peace and goodness, has to resort to personal attacks to try and get whatever point he is trying to make across?

I made my point LONG before resorting to defining your existence in a FACTUAL context..... And I have it on good authority that you're on track for another lump of coal in your stocking. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I made my point LONG before resorting to defining your existence in a FACTUAL context..... And I have it on good authority that you're on track for another lump of coal in your stocking. Merry Christmas!
And your point was invalidated. Your Santa is a bastard.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
And your point was invalidated. Your Santa is a bastard.

Happy Holidays!

I think the proper term is "mongrel"
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote