The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #126
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,673

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
No, no, no, no, no. Bush did not screw up Katrina. Trust me, all my in-laws live there, I spend several months a year visiting, and I got married there. It was ENTIRELY on Governor Blanco. It is the governor of the state that has to allow in federal aid and she refused to allow it for some unknown but surely political reason. In fact, Bush was being pressured by members of the LA state assembly to go so far as to declare LA of being a secessionist state so he could override her. Former mayor Nagin, as liberal as you can get, even said that it was on her and praised Bush.

Even Nagin blasted her and praised Bush.

Also, I'm legitimately curious, how is Bush responsible for California's energy crisis? Is everything done in CA by propositions and direct voting? It seems to me that being governor in California has got to be one of the worst positions anyone could get.
It's the federal government's responsibility to make sure California is provided as much low-priced unicorn juice as needed, no matter how catastrophic their own energy policy happens to be.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #127
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
No, no, no, no, no. Bush did not screw up Katrina. Trust me, all my in-laws live there, I spend several months a year visiting, and I got married there. It was ENTIRELY on Governor Blanco. It is the governor of the state that has to allow in federal aid and she refused to allow it for some unknown but surely political reason. In fact, Bush was being pressured by members of the LA state assembly to go so far as to declare LA of being a secessionist state so he could override her. Former mayor Nagin, as liberal as you can get, even said that it was on her and praised Bush.

Even Nagin blasted her and praised Bush.

Also, I'm legitimately curious, how is Bush responsible for California's energy crisis? Is everything done in CA by propositions and direct voting? It seems to me that being governor in California has got to be one of the worst positions anyone could get.
Bush was not responsible directly for the disastrous de-regulation but his response was utterly incompetent.

Quote:
SAVVY SELLERS. The Bush Administration is not responsible for California's self-inflicted wounds, but it is responsible for failing to impose a temporary cap on wholesale electricity prices in order to control their manipulation by a handful of generators and natural gas suppliers, many headquartered in Texas. Economists have long recognized that tight conditions in electricity markets put sellers in a very strong position to exercise market power by withholding supply to drive prices upward. There is compelling evidence that savvy sellers are doing just that in California; indeed, there is no other explanation for the tenfold increase in wholesale prices in less than one year.
http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...ls-the-economy

It infuriated me when, in the wake abundant evidence that consumers were being ripped off by Enron and the like, Bush's response was (essentially) "whatever. The market will fix it." What an idiot.

Last edited by The Lone Bolt; 12-11-2013 at 04:09 PM..
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #128
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,963
Default

As for Katrina --- it is my understanding that FEMA demanded the Louisiana governor surrender control of the state to FEMA -- and that the governor resisted -- to her credit.

Bush is responsible because he appointed an incompetent moron to run FEMA.

MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #129
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,963
Default

Where is Palestine’s Mandela?

By Alan Hart

The answer to my headline question is that he, Marwan Barghouti, is in an Israeli jail where he has been since his arrest in Ramallah by an IDF unit in 2002, after which, in 2004, he was sentenced to five life terms in prison. Some months before his arrest one of Israel’s security agencies tried and failed to assassinate him. A missile was fired at his bodyguard’s car and killed the bodyguard. (If the attempt on Barghouti’s life had succeeded, his killers would not have been brought to justice because as well as bulldozing Palestinian homes and stealing Palestinian land and water, Israel kills, murders, with impunity).

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle37089.htm
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #130
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
As for Katrina --- it is my understanding that FEMA demanded the Louisiana governor surrender control of the state to FEMA -- and that the governor resisted -- to her credit.

Bush is responsible because he appointed an incompetent moron to run FEMA.

MHG

Quote:
3. FEMA Director Michael Brown, who resigned over his handling of the response, later told a group of students that the White House only wanted to federalize the response in Louisiana, where the governor was a Democrat, and not in Republican-led Mississippi in order to embarrass Louisiana officials. Brown said the White House believed they had a chance to “rub [Kathleen Blanco’s] nose in it.” The Bush administration denied political considerations played a role in the response.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz2nDRqXyI1
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #131
W*GS
Ring of Famer
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,739
Default

Anybody else reading/read "Days of Fire"?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #132
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
Bush was not responsible directly for the disastrous de-regulation but his response was utterly incompetent.



http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...ls-the-economy

It infuriated me when, in the wake abundant evidence that consumers were being ripped off by Enron and the like, Bush's response was (essentially) "whatever. The market will fix it." What an idiot.
Interesting article, I was not aware of that.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #133
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
While the storm landed as an actual cat. 4 in Mississippi and wiped out entire towns, the first response was to NO where a lot more people were affected. FEMA was already on scene but had underestimated the amount of supplies necessary. Bush "pleaded" with Nagin and Blanco to designate a mandatory evacuation but it was declared too late and was hardly enforced. What some people believe is that she didn't want the National Guard to come in under federal control while the White House and FEMA didn't want it coming in under state control since Baton Rouge was hit pretty damn hard as well.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #134
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

The president of the United States, in front of 91 world leaders, the mourning nation of South Africa and Obama’s clearly furious wife, Michelle, the president flirted, giggled, whispered like a recalcitrant child and made a damn fool of himself at first sight of Denmark’s voluptuously curvy and married prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt
http://nypost.com/2013/12/12/obamas-...is-a-disgrace/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg obama81.jpeg (164.4 KB, 24 views)
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #135
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Translation:

"How dare that uppity black man talk to one of our white women!"

Where were you when Bush was trying to cop a feel on Angela Merkel?

Thought so.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #136
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Translation:

"How dare that uppity black man talk to one of our white women!"

Where were you when Bush was trying to cop a feel on Angela Merkel?

Thought so.
Not sure where I was but pretty sure Bush and Merkel weren't at a memorial service.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #137
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Not sure where I was but pretty sure Bush and Merkel weren't at a memorial service.
Say it with me everyone!

Dou-ble stand-ard! Clap! Clap! Clap-clap-clap!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #138
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Say it with me everyone!

Dou-ble stand-ard! Clap! Clap! Clap-clap-clap!
Say it with me everyone!

"I did not have sex with that woman"
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #139
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,673

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This is one of the better thread derailments I've seen in awhile.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #140
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,306

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The president of the United States, in front of 91 world leaders, the mourning nation of South Africa and Obama’s clearly furious wife, Michelle, the president flirted, giggled, whispered like a recalcitrant child and made a damn fool of himself at first sight of Denmark’s voluptuously curvy and married prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt
http://nypost.com/2013/12/12/obamas-...is-a-disgrace/
The pic stories were covered extensively after they caused a stir.....especially amongst the tabloids and other 'the black guy is embarrassing us' sources.
Perpetuating the 'stupid' is just, well, 'stupid.'

Michelle Obama was not unhappy during Nelson Mandela 'selfie', photographer insists
AFP photographer who took picture of Barack Obama, David Cameron and
Denmark's Helle Thorning-Schmidt, insists Michelle Obama had been smiling only moments before


Quote:
However, it was a misleading image capturing a natural and relaxed atmosphere, according to Roberto Schmidt, the AFP photographer responsible for the snap.

"Anyway, suddenly this woman pulled out her mobile phone and took a photo of herself smiling with Cameron and the US president," he wrote in a
blog for AFP. "I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their
departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. "The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another
two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. We are in Africa.

"I later read on social media that Michelle Obama seemed to be rather peeved on seeing the Danish prime minister take the picture. But photos can
lie. In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, Cameron and Schmidt included. Her stern look was
captured by chance."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...r-insists.html
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #141
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,963
Default

Michelle has plenty of other reasons to be unhappy (putting it mildly) with her hubby. By now she must be under no illusions what sort of man he is -- which is to say -- a puppet of the CIA and financial elite.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #142
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,963
Default

lets get this thread back on track...

The average American has no awareness of Cuba's key role in helping to end Apartheid.

Beyond The Propaganda
The Secret History of How Cuba Helped End Apartheid in South Africa


Video and Transcript - Democracy Now!

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle37088.htm
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #143
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,673

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Great. More DickTater fellatio. Just what the doctor ordered.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #144
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,306

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
lets get this thread back on track...

The average American has no awareness of Cuba's key role in helping to end Apartheid.

Beyond The Propaganda
The Secret History of How Cuba Helped End Apartheid in South Africa


Video and Transcript - Democracy Now!

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle37088.htm
You now want to turn a funeral thread into a pro-Cuban propaganda thread and that's 'getting back on track.'?

Stick with the 'Nazis weren't so bad' derailment of your own threads
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #145
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Well the thread is about Mandela and you just can't make this stuff up .... she thought he was giving baseball signs......

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #146
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Well the thread is about Mandela and you just can't make this stuff up .... she thought he was giving baseball signs......

txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #147
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Nelson Mandela is dead, and South Africa without “Madiba” will be much the same as it was before: a wreck of a country with slowly collapsing infrastructure, high crime, and the slow-motion genocide of Afrikaners.


And who is currently "leading" South Africa?


THIS GUY: JACOB ZUMA




Today, the State President of South Africa is a polygamous Zulu who thinks you can wash away HIV with a shower, and he’s probably better than whoever is coming next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlaasmoordeMonument.jpg (112.7 KB, 18 views)
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Denver Broncos