The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #1376
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I remember when Joe Mauer (Twins) committed to FSU.
I remember how pissed off FSU fans were when he went to the Twins.
But that FSU class was nuts. Mauer,McPherson & Henshaw as QB commits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
A QB I like in the upcoming draft is David Fales from San Jose State.

His stock has got to be on the rise.

I come away a little more enamored with Fales every time I watch him play.

The passing display that David Fales and Derek Carr put on last week when San Jose State and Fresno State played was a lot of fun to watch.
Fales and Carr both came into the season highly regarded by scouts.
Carr much more so than Fales. I think both will be good NFL QB's.
I think Carr will be a star. He has his brother's experience to lean on and I feel as though he has more potential than his brother.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #1377
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1378
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Holy **** that was a crazy ass first down run by Bridgewater.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #1379
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Wow and that TD pass was even better. Holy **** again.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1380
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Congrats to Duke's David Cutcliffe for winning the Walter Camp Coach of the year Award. I think there will be other organizations such as the AP that will also vote.

Personally, I think it's a very close call between Cutcliffe and Gus Malzahn. Duke has been getting incrementally better the last few years and went bowling last season, but Auburn is a one year turnaround from 3-9 to 11-1. Very tough to do, especially in the SEC. Although for Duke to ever win 10 games is a big deal, and a division title.

SoCal's Picks for Conference Coaches of the Year:

PAC 12: Todd Graham, Arizona State: They were decent last year and took a major step forward this season. To be playing at home for a Rose Bowl berth in Year 2 is a BFD for this often underachieving program.

Honorable mention: Ed Orgeron, USC (Interim and Fmr HC). Terrific job injecting life back into that program. Has a good chance to get the FAU job.

BIG 12: Art Briles, Baylor: Very close call here between Briles and Gundy. While Oklahoma State beat them and are better than Baylor, in many ways, Briles work is more impressive because he built that program from scratch and does it with lesser recruits. He's always been one of the best offensive minds in the game, starting from his million formation offense at Stephensville HS and U. of Houston to the spread scheme he has now at Baylor. He's had them good for awhile, but they took a huge step this season.

Honorable Mention: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma St. Will be very tough to beat in the Fiesta Bowl. Damn good club this year and also recently.

BIG TEN: Mark Dantonio, Michigan State. Dantonio has always fielded very good defenses going back to his time as DC at OSU. He and his DC did a terrific job this year fitting their personnel into the old Miami 4-3 Over defense, which was aggressive, attacking and downright dominant most of the year. It was likely the nations finest by the end of the season. Winning 11 games at MSU is a big achievement. His biggest achievement might be yet to come.

Honorable Mention: Jerry Kill and Tracy Klaes, Minnesota. Kill has built a fine program after the dumpster fire left by Tim Brewster. They are a big, physical team that can run and defend. You could see it starting last year in their bowl against TT. They lost the game, but I was impressed with how they played, with no names. Hopefully Coach Kill can overcome his medical issues.

ACC: David Cutcliffe, Duke. He went 10-2 and won the Coastal.....at Duke. Their run included wins at VT and at UNC and also at home vs. Miami. He took Duke bowling last year too. Terrific offensive coach. Also has a receiver that....(wait for it)...reminds me of McCaffrey. Lol

Honorable Mention: Jimbo Fisher, FSU. I don't think Fisher is a particularly good game day coach as FSU has underachieved for much of his reign (insert "the best 9-4 team in the country" joke here) but part of the job is recruiting and he's absolutely killed it in that regard. This FSU roster, and last years as well, were the most gifted of any group in the country. The Seminoles are very likely national champions and that's always a massive accomplishment.

SEC: Gus Malzahn, Auburn. To go from 3-9 to 11-1 might be the single best one year coaching job of anyone in the country. Malzahns high tempo offense looked great this season and Auburn got better and better as the year went on after looking mediocre against WSU. That's a sign of great coaching and development.

Honorable Mention: Gary Pinkel, Missouri. Another great story. A usually slightly above average team really took off....and without their QB as well in the SEC.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-05-2013 at 08:45 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #1381
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Boise State's Chris Petersen to UW.

Big hire. Lol...they actually upgraded from Sark. Didn't think he would leave Boise but they actually took a step back this year...maybe he thought he had to cash in while his reputation was still largely intact.

Excellent hire either way.

Allegedly, he also strongly pursued USC but the interview didn't go well because part of that job was personality in terms of being able to mix with boosters etc and Haden didn't think his demeanor/lack of charisma was a good fit in that regard.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-06-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #1382
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Big hire. Lol...they actually upgraded from Sark. Didn't think he would leave Boise but they actually took a step back this year...maybe he thought he had to cash in while his reputation was still largely intact.

Allegedly, he also strongly pursued USC but the interview didn't go well because part of that job was personality in terms of being able to mix with boosters etc and Haden didn't think his demeanor/lack of charisma was a good fit in that regard.
Sarkisian is an excellent coach. Boise State has let what appeared to be a very capable coach go before and they didn't miss a beat. I'd rather have Sarkisian than Petersen. Also Steve Sarkisian is the most underrated BYU QB ever - and we're talking about him being in a fraternity that included Jim Mcmahon, Robbie Bosco, Steve Young and the immortal John Beck. Steve Sarkisian is always the better choice when it comes to coaching candidates. It's science.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #1383
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Sarkisian is an excellent coach. Boise State has let what appeared to be a very capable coach go before and they didn't miss a beat. I'd rather have Sarkisian than Petersen. Also Steve Sarkisian is the most underrated BYU QB ever - and we're talking about him being in a fraternity that included Jim Mcmahon, Robbie Bosco, Steve Young and the immortal John Beck. Steve Sarkisian is always the better choice when it comes to coaching candidates. It's science.
How do Mormon fraternities operate? Do they have magic underwear parties, and decaf beverage stands. On second thought I remember a story about someone spiking a caffeine free punch with Mountain Dew once, it was quite the scandal, so I guess I'm on the right track.

DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #1384
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
BYU homerism.

It's good stuff.

BTW Khan, you know that Sarkisian isn't even Mormon right? He's catholic, just went there to play and didn't convert.

/Khan hates him now.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-06-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #1385
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

Chris Petersen is a better fit to coach at Washington than he would be at USC.

Petersen isn't a SoCal type of coach....he fits in better in the Northwest. You need to have some charisma/schmoozing ability to be the head coach at USC and Chris Petersen has always seemed like a serious dude who wants to recruit and coach and not have to deal with the other bull**** that goes along with the job.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #1386
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Snark is an excellent coach? Based on what? He's very average.

UW clearly upgraded and has top notch facilities. Great news for the PAC12.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #1387
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

If anyone needs their Friday football fix, the MAC Championship Game is on ESPN 2 at 8 pm Eastern Time.

Bowling Green 9-3 (7-1 in MAC) versus #14 Northern Illinois 12-0 (8-0 in MAC).

Toledo was the only team to beat Bowling Green in league play.

Northern Illinois will probably win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowling Green hang with them.

Bowling Green has a stout defense that only gave up 13.8 points per game this season.

Go Falcons.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #1388
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Bowling Green is taking it to Northern Illinois.

BGSU leads 24-13 in the 2nd quarter.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #1389
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Snark is an excellent coach? Based on what? He's very average.

UW clearly upgraded and has top notch facilities. Great news for the PAC12.
He took over an 0-12 team and is leaving them at 8-4 five years later. That's certainly not bad.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #1390
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
He took over an 0-12 team and is leaving them at 8-4 five years later. That's certainly not bad.
He's been 5-4 in the PAC12 the last 4 seasons, and is 24-21 in the PAC12 all-time.

That spells average to me but U$C thinks its a home run hire.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #1391
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Congrats to Miami commit QB Brad Kaaya for leading Chaminade to a CIF title over favored Serra.

Gotta hold off UCLA and SC here.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1392
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

OU stating with Oklahoma State so far, needed some extra help with trick plays but staying in the game.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #1393
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

florida semenholes.
I just like saying that.
has nothing to do with their current QB. I have always called them the semen holes.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #1394
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Chris Petersen is a better fit to coach at Washington than he would be at USC.

Petersen isn't a SoCal type of coach....he fits in better in the Northwest. You need to have some charisma/schmoozing ability to be the head coach at USC and Chris Petersen has always seemed like a serious dude who wants to recruit and coach and not have to deal with the other bull**** that goes along with the job.
hiring hookers and fixing players grades?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #1395
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Whoa, whoa now - now you're just getting a little out of hand.
I told you they would win!!! What a win for the Sooners
Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #1396
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
OU stating with Oklahoma State so far, needed some extra help with trick plays but staying in the game.
Woohoo!!! Should get an at large BCS game now
Old 12-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #1397
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Woohoo!!! Should get an at large BCS game now
Yep. Big win. Props.

Did not see that coming.

OU could receive an at large bid to the Orange.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #1398
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Yep. Big win. Props.

Did not see that coming.

OU could receive an at large bid to the Orange.
Who you think they would play?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #1399
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

No way does OU get an at large bid IMO. honestly, this season was a rollercoaster that showed how great the Sooners had it with Jason White, Bradford and Landry Jones playing QB.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #1400
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Who you think they would play?
I misspoke. They have a chance but it may not be likely.

The Orange will likely go with Clemson as the natural ACC tie in. Clemson vs UCF is the most likely Orange Bowl at this point. OUs best chance is the Sugar. They couldn't play in the Fiesta because they don't do two teams from the same conference in a BCS bowl usually unless its the title game.

Right now there are 3 at large slots and four contenders: Bama, Oregon, Clemson and OU. Bama is a lock. Clemson is likely due to conference tie ins with Orange. I'm not sure you would get an invite over Oregon, but it's possible.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-07-2013 at 01:26 PM..