The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default Broncos at Chiefs: Game Notes

1. Further evidence that this is Moreno's world, and we are all just living in it:

(Manning tells Moreno a play call a few plays before the epic 35 yard screen pass. Moreno smiles like a maniac, nods his head in approval, and promptly false starts)
Attached Images

pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
schaaf
Aint nothin but a G Thang

Abe's giving em the biznez

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I feel like these game notes are lacking depth
schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle

2. Peyton Manning (41) is 10 TD's from breaking Brady's record (50).
3. Broncos need to average 31.5 ppg (over the remaining 4) to break the single season scoring record.
4. Deck just Deckering: goes from 1 rec 5 yard performance to breaking Broncos single game TD reception record.
5. Like the first meeting, Chiefs almost strictly employ 6-man box against the Broncos, while only blitzing on rare occasion.
6. This time, the Chiefs largely shutdown a gimpy Knowshon Moreno on the ground.
7. The good news? The Chiefs Defense is the best the Broncos will face until the playoffs...and the Broncos still scored 35 Offensive points.
8. On another note, Montee Ball tore 'em up
9. With one game under his belt, here's hoping Champ Bailey keeps getting healthier, watching Kayvon Webster face-guard is no fun.
11. Losing Kevin Vickerson was big. Was it insurmountable? No. Mitchell Unrein played well enough, doesn't get blown off the ball, and is fairly slippery.
12. On the other hand, Sylvester Williams is about as useful as a one-armed hooker. Please, just get him off the field.
13. Robert Ayers got plenty more snaps, even logging about 15 plays from 3-tech, and rushing Alex Smith into a near Mike Adams INT to effectively end the game.
14. Chris Harris Jr. just keeps making plays. Hope he gets a Pro Bowl nod.
15. Even with the injuries, I still think the Broncos Defense will get better, and is good enough to win a Superbowl. They will need to focus more on generating turnovers to win it all.
16. Danny Trevathan is 5 tackles away from breaking 100. Get 'em Trev.

Last edited by pricejj; 12-03-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Price,
It was mentioned on another thread that Champ played 30 snaps. That blew me away because after a couple of early plays that didn't look good for him, we never heard from him again. I think a lot of us just assumed he was benched which obviously was not the case.

I have always thought that if a CB has a quiet game, he probably played well, or at least, well enough. What did you see?
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Price,
It was mentioned on another thread that Champ played 30 snaps. That blew me away because after a couple of early plays that didn't look good for him, we never heard from him again. I think a lot of us just assumed he was benched which obviously was not the case.

I have always thought that if a CB has a quiet game, he probably played well, or at least, well enough. What did you see?
Champ was fine. As long as he can continue to play without reinjuring himself, you will see his confidence grow week by week. Barring any setbacks he should be close to top form in the playoffs.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
6. This time, the Chiefs largely shutdown a gimpy Knowshon Moreno on the ground.
8. On another note, Montee Ball tore 'em up
Do you think this was a result of Ball just performing better, KC defending Moreno differently, or coincidence? Or a combination? The production differences between the two are difficult to ignore, as is how completely Knowshon got shut down from a rushing perspective. And I don't think "gimpiness" had much, or anything, to do with it. He seemed to be running and moving just fine.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Do you think this was a result of Ball just performing better, KC defending Moreno differently, or coincidence? Or a combination? The production differences between the two are difficult to ignore, as is how completely Knowshon got shut down from a rushing perspective. And I don't think "gimpiness" had much, or anything, to do with it. He seemed to be running and moving just fine.
Without Ball's 45 yard run, the Broncos rush totals would have been pedestrian. The Chiefs ran almost strictly with a 6 man box, 4 man rush. At first blush, I was pretty concerned...but after looking at it more closely, there is reason for optimism. Here's why:

1. There are no other teams in the AFC who have a front 6 as strong as the Chiefs. The combo of Eric Berry and Derrick Johnson at both half-field LB's in the Chiefs Nickel package (2 deep Safety's with Berry at LB) is the stuff dreams are made of.
2. Montee Ball had great ability to pick up 1st downs against Chiefs Nickel, he's just more elusive (this game) than Knowshon.
3. Broncos still scored 35...on the road.

The Broncos OL could not find a way to consistently block Eric Berry (who played lights out) or Derrick Johnson, but were still able to find a way to pick up 1st downs when it mattered most.

I bet we see these guys again in round 2 of the playoffs...and I hope it's in mile high.

Last edited by pricejj; 12-04-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they can beat the colts. I don't think they can beat the bengles.
Broncos_OTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
16. Danny Trevathan is 5 tackles away from breaking 100. Get 'em Trev.
Trevathan took over WLB for Woodyard who moved to MLB, and is basically putting up the same kind of numbers......he's having a very good season

2012 - Woodyard had 117 tackles (73 solo 44 assists) 5.5 sacks, 1 FF, and 3 INT's

2013 - Trevathan has 98 tackles (65 solo 33 assists) 1 sack, 3 FF, and 3 INT's
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Ball rushed for 117 yards...however he got 73 of them on two runs. Ball still averaged 4.0 on his other 11 carries (44 yards)....but Chiefs played the run relatively well last week save for those two plays.

Knowshon while constantly being hit in the backfield was a beast in the passing game catching 4 passes for 72 yards (34 longest) and a TD.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Price,

Champ of 2013 isn't the Champ of 2005...but he's still a good CB when healthy. He can't cover some, but he can cover most when healthy. And if he had been getting burned a lot, I'm sure the announcers would have harped on it, like they did Cooper being schooled by Decker.

People read too much into the fact Bailey sat out most of the 2nd half....he gave a few short completions...no big plays and was on a snap count by the medical/coaching staff.

He's still not in top shape yet, and I believe his foot is still not 100% despite being healed enough to play....being 35 years old doesn't help him heal as fast in such a violent game.

I think he'll be able to contribute more and more as the season progresses, and would love to see him break it off in some of these doom and gloomer's asses.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Champ of 2013 isn't the Champ of 2005...but he's still a good CB when healthy. He can't cover some, but he can cover most when healthy. And if he had been getting burned a lot, I'm sure the announcers would have harped on it, like they did Cooper being schooled by Decker.

People read too much into the fact Bailey sat out most of the 2nd half....he gave a few short completions...no big plays and was on a snap count by the medical/coaching staff.

He's still not in top shape yet, and I believe his foot is still not 100% despite being healed enough to play....being 35 years old doesn't help him heal as fast in such a violent game.

I think he'll be able to contribute more and more as the season progresses, and would love to see him break it off in some of these doom and gloomer's asses.
I agree. I was just pleasantly surprised to hear he played 30 snaps. That was a lot more than I thought, and encouraging since there was no apparent catastrophes.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Sly was only in for 7 run plays. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of those 7 plays to see if he's as bad as you indicate or if it was just one play that is sticking with you.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Sly was only in for 7 run plays. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of those 7 plays to see if he's as bad as you indicate or if it was just one play that is sticking with you.
This^

Sometimes one bad play or season defines a player's entire career to some of the posters on here.

Moreno has like 3 fumbles the last 377 times he's ran the ball (once every 126 carries) but he's still considered a fumbler by many on here......Rahim Moore could become the next Ronnie Lott-Rod Woodson-Ed Reed etc. over the next few seasons and you'll still have people on here whining about the Ravens loss.

Sylvester probably got pushed around on one play and now he's a liability and a bust.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
1st quarter
1. 2nd and 1 (run) - LDT, run over LG for 3 yard gain for 1st down (Williams not involved).
2. 1st and 10 (run) - LDT, straight at Williams over RG for 20 yard gain for 1st down.

2nd quarter
3. 3rd and 1 (run) - LDT, straight at Williams over RG for 5 yard gain for 1st down.
4. 2nd and 10 (run) - LDT, run over LG for 2 yard gain (Williams not involved).

3rd quarter
5. 2nd and 10 (run) - LDT, run over LG for 2 yard gain (Williams not involved).

4th quarter
6. 1st and goal (run) - LDT, run over LT for TD (Williams pushed 3 yards back into endzone, not involved)

The 7th play must have been a QB keeper.

Williams had no impact in the running game, and had no pressure or penetration in the passing game.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I"m finally getting a chance to watch this game. I am at 21 - 7 with KC in the lead. I know how this game ends, and I'm still sick seeing this right now. What a game this must turn out to be!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote