The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #101
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
no I do not read my typing before posting thats why the spelling and punctuation sucks.

if you cant comprehend the concept of "living off reputation" can you not see how stoopid that makes you look?
I know you aint stoopid.
Qbs had easier paths of less resistense. Why throw at champ when we always had some clown on the other side of the field or some poor excuse for a pass defender covering their TE?
or the countless times their #3 receiver had a career game against us while champ just followed his assignment to the bathroom.
We had the #3 ranked pass defense last year. Kinda strange considering you're saying that our secondary was basically soft everywhere last season.

If anything, the dropoff to this year says maybe we're missing Champ more than we think.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #102
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.

Great post, stupid posters on here sometime I tell ya...........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #103
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
a difference of opinion. He was great for a couple years. 2010 or 2011 on, he lived off his name.
soooooooo dumb....
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #104
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Champ actually graded as one of the top corners in the league last year, and has for the last few years. Reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

He'll get it together as he gets more comfortable out there. It's an instinctual/reacting thing right now, not a lack of athleticism thing. I'm not worried.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #105
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Thank god there still a handful of posters like Eddie Mac and Fontaine on this board to counter the hordes of morons who can't write sentences properly or brag about how they "don't breakdown film" and "don't rewatch games."

But hey, lotta idiots on the orangemane. What else is new?
Insightful post. You can get off Your knees and wipe your face off now. What's funny is this is from the guy who calls Derrick Wolfe a math head. Jackass

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 12-02-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #106
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you don't care for my POV place me on ignore and save us a whole load of our time.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #107
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Insightful post. You can get off Your knees and wipe your face off now. What's funny is this is from the guy who calls Derrick Wolfe a math head. Jackass
Solid point. No way Cinci is the school of choice for a legit math-head.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #108
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

crazy how revisionist history is making champs career out to be an above average one. many people including (i believe) woody paige believe champ is the best bronco defender EVER, not to mention one of the best cover corners in NFL history. other guys like revis, sherman etc come and go as the best for a few years, champ was at the top of the game for 10 years including one of the best DB years ever.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #109
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Meh....

Champ wasn't 100% healthy, which means he's not at his best, which means Del Rio has him on a limited role play count, which means he's done when he reaches it....none of this would have happened if Champ were 100%.

We've all witnessed some bad CB play over the course of our lives, and Champ isn't half as bad as some of you are trying to make it seem.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #110
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
crazy how revisionist history is making champs career out to be an above average one. many people including (i believe) woody paige believe champ is the best bronco defender EVER, not to mention one of the best cover corners in NFL history. other guys like revis, sherman etc come and go as the best for a few years, champ was at the top of the game for 10 years including one of the best DB years ever.
Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #111
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

Sup beotch?

had it wrong it was kiszla
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19494180?source=bb
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #112
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

"I think anytime a player misses playing time, a considerable amount of playing time, regardless of who you are, it takes a minute to get back and to play against the best football players on the planet," Fox said.

Read more: Derek Wolfe released from hospital, returns to Broncos after seizure-like symptoms
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #113
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Fox, on Champ.
Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey had played half the defensive snaps until the final drive Sunday, when he watched all 11 Kansas City plays from the sideline.

Bailey wound up playing 30 of 72 defensive snaps, or 42 percent. Not bad for a return to work, although Bailey as a 12-time Pro Bowler has set a higher standard. Bailey missed the first five games with a left foot injury, returned to play against Jacksonville and Indianapolis, then aggravated his injury and missed the next four games before returning against the Chiefs.

"I think anytime a player misses playing time, a considerable amount of playing time, regardless of who you are, it takes a minute to get back and to play against the best football players on the planet," Fox said.

Read more: Derek Wolfe released from hospital, returns to Broncos after seizure-like symptoms - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2mOZP1TsS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #114
TD4HOF
Perennial Pro-bowler

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

Champ f'ing Bailey! We'll never ever see another like him again. He's not finished c'mon he was still a top ten corner last year. He doesn't have good ball skills anymore but can still cover. He'll be back next year when DRC signs a big contract elsewhere.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #115
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
Champ f'ing Bailey! We'll never ever see another like him again. He's not finished c'mon he was still a top ten corner last year. He doesn't have good ball skills anymore but can still cover. He'll be back next year when DRC signs a big contract elsewhere.
You have it backwards. He has great ball skills and instincts, but his age makes it more difficult for him to cover.

Also, not saying he's done, just that it's harder for him to stick on people like he used to. Which I think he can make up for with his incredible instincts and intelligence.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #116
frozenconcentratedorange
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von's Urine

I was actually unaware that Champ returned after he hurt his ribs(?).
As others have said that is a real compliment to a corner - that I didn't notice him.

I still think he has enough left in the tank to be a worthwhile contributor, maybe not a pro-bowler, but as 1 in a group of corners he will be invaluable.
frozenconcentratedorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #117
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Fox, on Champ.
Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey had played half the defensive snaps until the final drive Sunday, when he watched all 11 Kansas City plays from the sideline.

Bailey wound up playing 30 of 72 defensive snaps, or 42 percent. Not bad for a return to work, although Bailey as a 12-time Pro Bowler has set a higher standard. Bailey missed the first five games with a left foot injury, returned to play against Jacksonville and Indianapolis, then aggravated his injury and missed the next four games before returning against the Chiefs.

Read more: Derek Wolfe released from hospital, returns to Broncos after seizure-like symptoms - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2mOZP1TsS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
That is way more than I thought, and probably more than most of us thought because his name was called only early after a couple of plays. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that he had an adequate and quiet game the rest of the way. A quiet game for a cb is usually a good thing. Just saying.

Can we get someone with all-22 to verify his total game? I think we need a different perspective on this than just what we see on TV coverage.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #118
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
That is way more than I thought, and probably more than most of us thought because his name was called only early after a couple of plays. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that he had an adequate and quiet game the rest of the way. A quiet game for a cb is usually a good thing. Just saying.

Can we get someone with all-22 to verify his total game? I think we need a different perspective on this than just what we see on TV coverage.
I read that PFF had him at -.5, for what its worth.
Natedogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #119
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

As the starter of this thread, I never said that Bailey isn't one of the greatest Bronco defenders of all time. And I never said that he was living off his reputation.

But I did say that his body is breaking down (which it is, and not just this year but for part of last year as well).

And I did say that Champ is a shadow of his former self (which is also true). If you think "Shut-Down Corner", who is the first guy you think of TODAY? That's easy: 25-year-old Richard Sherman, not 35-year-old Champ Bailey.

For years and years, Champ held that title. But not anymore. And, I'm sad to say, he'll never hold that coveted title again, either.

If Champ hangs around for another year, he needs to convert to a safety, and use his innate football skills to make up for his age. But even if he does, there's no guarantee that he won't miss half the season with a bum ankle. And he'll still be no 24-year-old Earl Thomas, either.

"Rust never sleeps..."

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 12-03-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #120
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Champ is better than Webster, who makes a play here and there but has proven to be a liability the last couple weeks against the pats and chiefs. Looking forward to champ getting healthy and the defense finally playing up to its potential. Sucks missing Rahim and Big Vick because those guys aren't really replaceable.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #121
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
I read that PFF had him at -.5, for what its worth.
I admit I don't know how their grading system works, but really, -.5 doesn't seem all that bad for a 1st game back following injury. He needs a few games to knock off that rust.

Also, if Champ isn't thrown at because he has his guy covered, how is that graded, if at all? IDK; but at the least, 30 snaps tells me he probably wasn't killing the team as much as some assumed based on those early couple of plays we all saw on tv.

Anyway, the fact that he had 30 snaps, and really didn't have any catastrophes, makes me much more encouraged about his role going forward this year.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #122
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default copying a post I did at MHR...

OK, just feel like I must weigh in on this...

I hear that Champ is obviously done or Champ won't take a demotion to safety or this or that. What do we know about Champ right now??
  • Champ graded out as one of the top corners last year based on several statistical sites
  • Champ has not been able to stay healthy over the last 3 years
  • Champ has not played well this year trying to come back from injury.

Besides that we know nothing. We have no idea whatsoever whether he can be an elite or even productive CB again. We have no idea if he will be injured 70% of the time or if that is just bad luck (think KM). We have no reason to believe that he has been asked to play safety and has refused.

WE DON"T KNOW IF CHAMP CAN PLAY GREAT ANYMORE! HE HAS BEEN INJURED!!! Champ doesn't know. The coaches don't know. We don't know.

Champ might be done, and if he is imho it is because he just cannot stay healthy. But Champ might be Champ again in 2 weeks and help lead us to a glorious SB win. Champ might be a very good CB for another year and a half. Champ and the coaches might decide that a move to safety will help the team and extend his career.

But to decide to give up on the talent and the moxie of a player like Champ based on how he plays when injured or having not played or trained for basically a year seems absurd. I am quite willing to wait and find out because the upside is huge.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #123
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

A lot of guys angry with reality. I understand the love for Champ and hope he contributes as we move forward but he is and will be a shell of what he used to be. Certainly not worth the $10 million he makes. Hope he gets a ring this year as he has deserved it but he had a real shot last year and he was continually burned deep against the Ravens. Elway had to get Dumerville's salary in line last off season and needs to have a hard talk with Champ at the end of this season.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #124
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

A pretty decent response from Mike Klis, of all people.

Quote:
Question's been asked before a thousand times. But I'll ask it again now that he's back. Is this the end for Champ Bailey? Maybe a switch to safety because he's lost a step?
--Greg, Centennial

The Chiefs had 28 plays in the fourth quarter Sunday -- 17 in one possession; 11 in another. Champ Bailey's fourth quarter snap count: zero. In all, he played in 30 of 72 snaps, which means he was in on 30 of the first 44 snaps, or 68.2 percent, through the first three quarters.

With the Broncos up 35-21 heading into the fourth quarter, it may have been determined Champ already had a nice workload for a first game back from injury. The coaching staff did this in a couple games last year. But when things got tight again during that last Kansas City drive, I was surprised Bailey wasn't out there.

I do not think this is the end for Bailey, just like Knowshon Moreno was not a first-round bust through his first 3 ˝ seasons, just like Sylvester Williams is not a first-round bust now.

In each case, there were circumstances involved that led to frustrating performance. In Bailey's case, I believe he's struggling to perform because of rust and injury. His foot isn't right. It's better. It's healthy enough to play. But it's not right.

The rust may be his greatest deterrent. Cornerback is, by far, the most highly skilled athletic position in football. Fleet-footed, freakish receivers act. Cornerbacks react.

And there's no doubt it's much more difficult to shake away rust at 35 than 28.

Bailey is also hurt by expectations. I mean Kayvon Webster had a tough time covering Sunday. Alex Smith went after him. But Webster is a rookie drafted in the third round. Outside the Broncos' building, expectations for Webster are minimal.

Bailey is a 12-time Pro Bowler. When he gives up completions, the reaction is, "Champ is done!" There's no question receivers have been driving Bailey off the ball this year. But let's give him a couple weeks. I think Bailey will still be one of the Broncos' top three corners - along with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Chris Harris - by playoff time.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmai...nvers-playbook
Natedogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #125
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
As the starter of this thread, I never said that Bailey isn't one of the greatest Bronco defenders of all time. And I never said that he was living off his reputation.

But I did say that his body is breaking down (which it is, and not just this year but for part of last year as well).

And I did say that Champ is a shadow of his former self (which is also true). If you think "Shut-Down Corner", who is the first guy you think of TODAY? That's easy: 25-year-old Richard Sherman, not 35-year-old Champ Bailey.

For years and years, Champ held that title. But not anymore. And, I'm sad to say, he'll never hold that coveted title again, either.

If Champ hangs around for another year, he needs to convert to a safety, and use his innate football skills to make up for his age. But even if he does, there's no guarantee that he won't miss half the season with a bum ankle. And he'll still be no 24-year-old Earl Thomas, either.

"Rust never sleeps..."
It seems like you don't want to talk about Champ, you just want an excuse to talk about the Seahawks.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote