The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Shanny still has it. His offense was prolific last year so there's no such thing as the game has passed him by. The real problem is he is having to coach with a 36m cap penalty which makes it hard to field a team.
Repeat and wash. I think there is more to it then the cap penalty.

Can you even defend Slowick?

Here is the turbo start of a 10 pager.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
I don't know what has happened with Shanahan, but man how times have changed. My theory is that he is to much of an ego maniac and surrounds himself with Yes Men. He did it in Denver and now again in Washington. The talent got him over the hump in Denver, but he doesn't have as much in Washington and has a newbie QB versus on of the GOAT's finishing his career. That alone is a big difference.

That said, overcoming Snyder and the hole Washington was in before he got there is a tough spot, not to mention the salary cap restriction they have. Isn't going to get any easier next year though as they don't have their first round pick and have a big contract for Orakpo if they want to keep him.
I'm surprised anyone asks if the game has passed him by. I thought that's why we got rid of him, I thought it passed him by earlier than that, but that's my opinion. He was an ego maniac here and it will be his downfall. Talent didn't get him by in Denver, two SB wins did. I also think that the salary cap restriction is another rationalization for not producing. Remember, Bowlen restricted money here, or so they say. Shanahan used the cap on players that weren't worth anything. Personally I don't believe Shanahan will keep Orakpo. Who needs a defense?
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Shanny still has it. His offense was prolific last year so there's no such thing as the game has passed him by. The real problem is he is having to coach with a 36m cap penalty which makes it hard to field a team.
OMFG are you serious? PROLIFIC??

What kind and how much weed do you smoke man?

The offense you are watching for the Denver Broncos this season is prolific. The offense the Redskins ran last season was average at best.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Yeah...they jumped on the Giants yesterday, but there didn't seem like a big adjustment was made later in the game.
shaNNY has consistently been outcoached in the second half of games and the second half of the season.
he hjasnt looked like anything special since gary kubiak left his side !
He runs the same 12 plays and receiver routes disguised in 20 different formations !
PASSED HIM BY?
shanny is the same clown that called 4 consecutive pass plays with plummer as his QB inside the 5 yard line, 2 of those plays with an empty backfield.
any other coach would have been called an idiot !
shanny has always needed a super QB to make him look good.
in 1995 he hired kubiak turner and gibbs.
its been 18 years, who is the last top co-ordinator he has hired?
shanny, over-rated, sorry.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Shanahan (with the help of Kubiak) changed the run game in the NFL forever, if they'd been around in the 70s they'd have hoovered up lombardis...but the NFL has changed in the last ten years. So despite the fact that he can install a kickass run offence wherever he goes and it was successful last year, it's not going to hold up in todays league so i do feel the game has passed him by. Couple that with the fact that he's completely clueless on the defensive side of the ball, the whole mishandling of RGIIIs injury fiasco, the fact that the read option has been found out and the offence will likely need to be retooled in Washington anyways and now this season, i find it hard to see him getting another job in the NFL after this year.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #31
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Shanahan (with the help of Kubiak) changed the run game in the NFL forever, if they'd been around in the 70s they'd have hoovered up lombardis...but the NFL has changed in the last ten years. So despite the fact that he can install a kickass run offence wherever he goes and it was successful last year, it's not going to hold up in todays league so i do feel the game has passed him by. Couple that with the fact that he's completely clueless on the defensive side of the ball, the whole mishandling of RGIIIs injury fiasco, the fact that the read option has been found out and the offence will likely need to be retooled in Washington anyways and now this season, i find it hard to see him getting another job in the NFL after this year.
last year shannys run game improved because he once again hired bobby turner and his QB put up big running numbers !
shanny has never coached ANY position other than wide receiver and QB.
He is a glorified OC / QB coach.
his defenses stink
his special teams stink.
shanny, over-rated.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Has the game passed him by - No. What is causing his problem is 2nd year QB that defense coordinators have film on and who is struggling to make plays in the pocket. Great coaches only look great when they have great QB play.

The story going around DC last week was the Skins' o-line was having problem with Griffin because of his attitude.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #33
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Shanahan is a bit overrated, but Griffin is not healthy. He has lost a step that won't come back until next season, 2 years removed from surgery. He also does not step into throws all the time, even when there is no rush and has the chance to do so. He is not trusting his knee from getting hurt at times and you just can't play like that and play consistently at QB. Not to mention his supporting cast in the passing game is questionable and a smallish OL, especially in the middle. Plus, a defense that has not performed well that often either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Shanahan should have waited for the Chicago job to be offered to him, everyone knew back then that Lovie's days were numbered.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

For the record, the game hasn't passed Shanny by as a coach. I think the problem is RG3, and how much of a decline he has been since last year. Shanny should have just went with Cousins this season.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #36
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Shanahan's big mistake was wanting to be a CEO of football operations essentially.

He doesn't know defense, yet he wants to be the one to pick personnel on that side of the ball.

IMO, the league is not phased by small oline, zone blocking scheme anymore. If you notice, shanahan offenses since the tail end of Denver days and with skins are atrocious on 3rd down conversions. The 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 situations where they get stopped on a regular basis is embarrassing
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
CEH
Ring of Famer

1 playoff win in 14 years yeah that's something to hang your hat on
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
IMO - RGIII might be his undoing. The team is definitely committed to RGIII, and he isn't exactly seeing eye to eye with Shanny. I'm not convinced that is all Shanahan's fault (because I personally see RGIII as a bit of a prima donna), but there it is. Disharmony, dysfunction, disappointment.

I'm just glad this soap opera isn't unfolding in Denver this offseason.
I think its too early to tell but Robert appears to not be worth the seco d pick nor the ammo to move to get him.

Either way in Denver (late) and in Washington now, his team is poorly managed.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandftw View Post
The RG3 trade kinda backfired on them. It's hard to give up 4 draft picks for 1 draft pick, unless you hit gold on the pick.
RG3 has potential to be great but Shanny pushed him too hard, especially coming back from his knee rebuild. The thing is Shanny could have won with Cousins. He could have started Cousins, won the NFCE and then traded Cousins for at least a #1 pick and then put RG3 back in the line up for next season.

but no, hell no. Shanny ego destroys Shanny coach, again.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #40
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Certainly a contributing factor, but this samething was happening when he had capspace. Further, we rarely had capspace here either. I would also argue that his "offense" last year was based on the read option, which got his QB destroyed. Rg3 is no Tebow..lol. Now that his QB can't play like that his offense struggles. I guess you can call that "prolific" but obviously its not sustainable.

Over time when you get down to where the rubber meets the road, he's not winning games at a good pace anymore. And he hasn't for a long time. He's struggling to say the least.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #41
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
RG3 has potential to be great but Shanny pushed him too hard, especially coming back from his knee rebuild. The thing is Shanny could have won with Cousins. He could have started Cousins, won the NFCE and then traded Cousins for at least a #1 pick and then put RG3 back in the line up for next season.

but no, hell no. Shanny ego destroys Shanny coach, again.
good post.shanny to ego driven to be sensable, practicle and to see the cousins alternative.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #42
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
You guys are asking for a **** storm when SoCal and Rev see this thread.

Predict 10+ pages at least.
you say that like you're scared of them.......

Mike is like any other coach in the NFL.....when he has talent he generally wins a lot of games and has proven he can win a title. When he doesn't have talent, he loses.

Unfortunately for him, he's the guy picking the talent.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Shanahan is a bit overrated, but Griffin is not healthy. He has lost a step that won't come back until next season, 2 years removed from surgery. He also does not step into throws all the time, even when there is no rush and has the chance to do so. He is not trusting his knee from getting hurt at times and you just can't play like that and play consistently at QB. Not to mention his supporting cast in the passing game is questionable and a smallish OL, especially in the middle. Plus, a defense that has not performed well that often either.
He's been making and working with all those decisions for years. Shanahan decided to have a small oline. He decided to let that kid play when he knew it was wrong. Desperate people do desperate things.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #44
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
1 playoff win in 14 years yeah that's something to hang your hat on
Chiefs fans ask, "Where do I sign up?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
For the record, the game hasn't passed Shanny by as a coach. I think the problem is RG3, and how much of a decline he has been since last year. Shanny should have just went with Cousins this season.
Not sure about that. I want both to succeed and Washington put a lot of eggs in that basket. It took a huge season comeback last year for Redskins to make the playoffs. Shanny had issues before RG3 came around and is it too easy for Shanny backers to put it all on RG3? I think it is beyond him but it sure hasn't helped that he hasn't been the same player as last season. They give him one more season and that is it. This season had so many chances to take the division and instead they are almost eliminated from the playoffs with 4 to play.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 12-02-2013 at 05:23 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post

Unfortunately for him, he's the guy picking the talent.....
So..../thread?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #46
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If he still has "it" wouldn't he be better than 3-9?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #47
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

yah, I think Shanny gets one more year. The thing is they don't have a first round pick. Perhaps they trade Cousins anyway and try and get another pick. That franchise is a cluster from top to bottom and Shanny has very much added to the meat grinder mentality there. He should have been a stabilizing HC there but he's been more of a train wreck. His first mistake was switching the defense from a base 4-3 to a base 3-4. Why Shanny? Him toting Slowit around is just baffling.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #48
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

I still maintain when RG3 is at the top of his game, the skins are real hard to beat even if they lack the personnel.

Last year, RG3 being himself, guys overachieving for 7 games and an easier schedule got them to 10-6.

This year, RG3 wasn't ready (his fault for coming back early, but he's an athlete) and so Shanahan is getting burned because well RG3 is not capable of dominating games this season...

At the end of the day, he will probably recover for next season but he just doesn't get along with shanahan so change is needed.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #49
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I still maintain when RG3 is at the top of his game, the skins are real hard to beat even if they lack the personnel.

Last year, RG3 being himself, guys overachieving for 7 games and an easier schedule got them to 10-6.

This year, RG3 wasn't ready (his fault for coming back early, but he's an athlete) and so Shanahan is getting burned because well RG3 is not capable of dominating games this season...

At the end of the day, he will probably recover for next season but he just doesn't get along with shanahan so change is needed.
You do realize that RGIII doesn't get to play unless Mike says he does, right?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #50
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You guys are missing a lot here.

1. RGIII has had a sophomore slump more than the rest of last years great rookie class because while the league got to gameplan that offense, he could not take reps and get better physically in the offseason. RGIII did not have an offseason to get better with the WR's, run custom routes, get adjustments down, and work on his craft physically. And, it has shown in his poor technique and decision making this season.

He is just now getting how to read defenses that are no longer scared of missing him on a zone read play and playing traditional coverages against him. He has struggled to execute and missed plays he made last year as well. Overall, he has not gotten better while teams have learned how to force him into doing things that are not his strengths and he could not improve in the offseason. The result is he has simply regressed in his on field performances.

2. More teams are playing the Zone read scheme than ever before, and teams are getting more comfortable playing against it. WAS is not getting the big "Sportscenter type hype" plays they did last year to beat teams. They need to be able to make sustained drives and their OL has been flat out atrocious in pass protection this year.

3. The defense is actually pretty talented, but pretty young on the back end. Safety is also an issue for WAS like it has been in DEN and their CB play has been some of the worst I have ever seen this season. This is Raheem Morris, who used to be TB's DB's and HC not Slowik, who has not brought them along at all and they blow coverages as much as any team in the NFL this year.

4. Jim Haslet has not done a very good job as DC under Shanahan. His conversion of the defense from 4-3 to 3-4 has not worked and required them to Blitz entirely too much to put pressure on the running game and the passing game. Combine that with a secondary that blows coverages and you get a pretty poor defense that is entirely too risky at its core.

5. WAS has the lowest rated ST's unit in the NFL and they are almost 40% worse on ST's than the 31st ranked NY Giants! They have lost a bunch of games this year to ST's blunders as well as continually screwing both offense and Defense with Field position. Former DEN ST's captain Keith Burns runs this unit, and they are just about as awful as you can get. This is a hidden area where the Salary Cap restrictions kill them as they have a bunch of scrubs playing ST's as well as the specialists themselves being poor.

Combine that with the inability to sign and keep the right talent due to salary cap restrictions, and you get a 3-8 team that is wildly inconsistent.

I also think Mike needs to do less, but having Kyle run the offense has helped him be more of an overall HC. Bruce Allen and AJ Smith, formerly of the SD SuperChargers are still involved in Talent assessment with Shanahan as well so he has less total control than he did have in DEN. Snyder is not the best owner in the world to work for, but Shanahan did estrange Pat Bowlen of all people and now he has to see how the other half of the league has to deal with bad ownership. You would have thought he would have learned after Al Davis
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote