The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
It's becoming a very clear and consistent trend IMO.

Will be interesting to how he does down the stretch in the cold.

To you newbies of Colorado. The front range is not consistently cold. Shorts weather most of the winter. However, there are stretches like the one next week that can trash a house quickly.

You might consider leaving some drips going in your sinks the next few days. Wrap your outside spickets and if you have any suspect pipes and need to protect them in a hurry Home depot sells stuff like this. Heat cable. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ou...FcU5Qgod93EAwQ

I've protected pipes with this stuff in -20 degree weather. No problem!

Oh and if your windows suck the shrink wrap stuff does wonders.

Maybe manning could wrap his body in heating cable!
Wait, since becoming a Bronco, whats the trend? Two games? Two games that went into OT? Two games against NE (away) and the eventual super bowl champion in which manning had a 100 rating going into OT? Whats the trend here?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Wait, since becoming a Bronco, whats the trend? Two games? Two games that went into OT? Two games against NE (away) and the eventual super bowl champion in which manning had a 100 rating going into OT? Whats the trend here?
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/1...arm-vs-frigid/

I'd suggest watching the games. You might consider watching the New England game and the Chiefs game from yesterday to start.

Besides am I really going out a limb suggesting it's hard for a an older QB to throw in Colder weather than warmer weather?

Oh the trend is over NINETEEN games now. Very clear, distinct trend, backed by stats.

Last edited by Meck77; 12-02-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Oh the trend is over NINETEEN games now. Very clear, distinct trend, backed by stats.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

I'd suggest watching the games. You might consider watching the New England game and the Chiefs game from yesterday to start.

Besides am I really going out a limb suggesting it's hard for a an older QB to throw in Colder weather than warmer weather?
Oh the old "i suggest watching the games" condescending comment. My favorite! The NE game had a few odd things about it. 1) The broncos jumped to a huge lead and stuck with an ever effective run game that probably never let Manning get into a rhythm. Plus, where the hell was PA all game? 2) He still lead the Broncos on a game tying drive deep into the 4th quarter, which was the best drive by either team all day. 3) wind was probably more of a factor than the cold. 4) Turnovers killed us more than anything 5) I dunno how Belichick does it, but Manning has had plenty of bad games against the patriots. There was a lot that went wrong that game, and he's not AS GOOD in the cold, but pinning the entire loss on the fact that it was cold is silly. Also, just because he's not AS EFFECTIVE in the cold does not mean HES USELESS, like some broncos fans here would lead you to believe.

The Ravens game last year, not his best, far from his worst. Before Rahim Moore, rating over 100, 3 TD's and a pick off a deflection that should have been called back for PI. Thats a good game in some pretty awful conditions.

The Chiefs game in week 17 last year (the 38-3 drubbing), just over freezing at the start of the game, in the 20's by the end. He looked pretty good that game.

So, again, maybe you are right, but 2 close games in the cold, one of which he played well, does not make a disturbing "trend"
Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I don't think age has anything to do with being able to throw a great ball in cold weather. It's really not the cold that does anything to the actual player. It's more about what it does to the ball itself. It's clearly harder to grip a colder ball. Larger hands help offset this but I really don't think it makes a difference if you're 25 or 35. It's not like you will have some 65 year old dude out there throwing the pigskin. I could see your point if that's the type of age gap we were talking about here. But a man in his mid to late 30's throwing a football, if he's healthy, isn't really different then a man in his 20's.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
Meck77

Ok leo lo. So yeah I was being a prick with that comment but honestly I find it hard to believe someone couldn't see the pain on Mannings face during the NE game. Perhaps it was the ankles but "the science" lol does point out to lower numbers for manning in cold weather.

Zona you live in PHX. When is the last time you worked outside in 16 degree weather? I work in both extremes outside in AZ and Colorado. Everything is much much easier in the warmer weather. Weather you are stacking hay, fixing fence, throwing a football, or getting tackled. It's harder in 16 degrees vs 50+. It's more than just the ball itself.

Easier for a 27 year old man vs 37 especially one who admits "I'm always on the questionable list". Look I hate Brady and he's not in his 20's either but how could one argue that he isn't a cold weather QB vs Manning?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Ok leo lo. So yeah I was being a prick with that comment but honestly I find it hard to believe someone couldn't see the pain on Mannings face during the NE game. Perhaps it was the ankles but "the science" lol does point out to lower numbers for manning in cold weather.

Zona you live in PHX. When is the last time you worked outside in 16 degree weather? I work in both extremes outside in AZ and Colorado. Everything is much much easier in the warmer weather. Weather you are stacking hay, fixing fence, throwing a football, or getting tackled. It's harder in 16 degrees vs 50+. It's more than just the ball itself.

Easier for a 27 year old man vs 37 especially one who admits "I'm always on the questionable list". Look I hate Brady and he's not in his 20's either but how could one argue that he isn't a cold weather QB vs Manning?
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, I'm just saying that two close games against good teams doesn't make a trend.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The first INT wasnt really on Manning, it was becuase DT had gotten that shoulder stinger on the very first play of hte game and when he had to leap for teh ball .. which he did a little too early and twisted around to begin with ... he could not raise his other arm as Peyton discribed it in the pressor. Hitting the ball with only one hand while on his way down already is what tipped it up for an easy INT.

If DT had both arms that is far more likely a big catch setting up our first score, or at worst an incomplete. The second INT was a wounded Duck and short at that and was all on Peyton.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

There was a significant difference in his ability to drive the ball yesterday. Was it the temperature / wind / ankles? All I know is he made some throws yesterday that he couldn't last week.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #35
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I'm not so sure its the QB. I think the receivers have a MUCH harder time holding onto the ball when it's cold. Catching the ball hurts. Your fingers don't move well or quickly when it's cold. We had 6-7 drops on what would normally be easy catches in the NE game. Welker, I think, couldn't handle four easily catchable passes.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
There was a significant difference in his ability to drive the ball yesterday. Was it the temperature / wind / ankles? All I know is he made some throws yesterday that he couldn't last week.
50 degree no wind effect. He's never really thrown a great spiral and last week that doesn't help in 20 mph winds. If that game yesterday was cold with no wind I still see the same type of performance. Laser show.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #37
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I think playing a terrible rookie corner and below average safeties helped quite a bit.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think playing a terrible rookie corner and below average safeties helped quite a bit.
You think the Pats lined up better DB's against us than the Chiefs?!?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
The first INT wasnt really on Manning, it was becuase DT had gotten that shoulder stinger on the very first play of hte game and when he had to leap for teh ball .. which he did a little too early and twisted around to begin with ... he could not raise his other arm as Peyton discribed it in the pressor. Hitting the ball with only one hand while on his way down already is what tipped it up for an easy INT.

If DT had both arms that is far more likely a big catch setting up our first score, or at worst an incomplete. The second INT was a wounded Duck and short at that and was all on Peyton.
TRUTH.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
whoeey
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

PFM would throw 10 tds against this defense. Hell they made alice and tommie look like decent qbs.

Ever notice how bradies receivers are always wide open?
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
it didnt help his tragectary which was much better in KC than fox boro.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #42
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

let5s hope for a sunny and mild winter in Denver.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote