The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #26
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

I just want our 11 best players out on the field when our opponents have the ball....if Champ is one of them, so be it. If not, I'm OK with that too.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #27
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Ok, we need to look at it this way. While I think he is pretty much done and like just about everyone would hope that he is "not quite done" we have to look at production vs. salary cap.

The amount of money we are paying him is not even close to justification for the return we get. We have way too many players to re-sign (might have to include Decker now after yesterday's game--without him we likely don't win that game). We have to use that cap money for our other needs. Champ is a "luxury" that just can't be afforded based on the return we have been getting and will get over the rest of this season--even if he comes back and plays relatively well for a few games.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #28
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxman View Post
Ok, we need to look at it this way. While I think he is pretty much done and like just about everyone would hope that he is "not quite done" we have to look at production vs. salary cap.

The amount of money we are paying him is not even close to justification for the return we get. We have way too many players to re-sign (might have to include Decker now after yesterday's game--without him we likely don't win that game). We have to use that cap money for our other needs. Champ is a "luxury" that just can't be afforded based on the return we have been getting and will get over the rest of this season--even if he comes back and plays relatively well for a few games.
Champ as had a good run. He was continually burned in the Ravens game last year that cost us the title and this year has been pathetic for the production vs. salary cap. We need DRC, Decker and others signed to deals to make this team relevant. I agreed with the Dumerville pay realignment, don't know why we didn't take the same stance with Champ this last year.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #29
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Hard to get back into shape when you're constantly returning to the sideline to nurse the injury of the moment.

I haven't given up hope that he returns to full-strength and that when he does so he will be as good as he was last season, but it's becoming very hard to see that happening this year. When he's been in this season it seems like he's just been burnt on comeback routes and throws to the sideline over and over again until he heads to the sideline himself with an injury.

Assuming that his body isn't completely giving up on him, I think there's definitely a spot on this team for the guy. He's as good a tackler as we've had for years and aside from blitzing the QB could theoretically bring to our secondary something like Woodson offers the Raiders.
No doubt Champ has faced a lot of adversity due to injuries this year. Still, I believe that it's unfair to judge him after one game in which he had limited playing time -- when he cannot possibly be back in "football shape". We can talk about how "he should retire" if he's still struggling when we get to the playoffs.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #30
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Blue as the voice of reason?

/Man Tears

Whether on a limited play count or just getting back into game shape, Champ deserves to be judged after playing more than 1 game back. Outside of ONE game just last year, Champ was dominant. Still. Yes, he needs to get healthy, but he also gets some leeway because of that.

It's not like we're going to cut Champ right in the middle of the season.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I hate to say it, but Champ Bailey needs to get his retirement papers in order, because this needs to be his last season.

There was a time when I thought Denver could convert him to a safety and maybe buy another two years. But after watching him get injured (yet again) on the 2nd play from scrimmage against KC today, I'm afraid that even a safety role is more than his body can handle.

Champ has been one of my favorite players over the last decade, but guys like Richard Sherman are now the yardstick for "Shut-Down Corners" and Champ is just a shadow of his old self.
WTF am I reading and WTF is this thread?

- Champ gave up just 4 receptions - 2 or 3 on small gains on quick inside slants where he had very good coverage but the bigger WR/TE just jerked inside.

- Yes he got hurt (abs I think) but played for almost all the snaps, barring obvious run downs till midway through the 3rd quarter.

- He was matched up Bowe most of the time and only gave up one/two small receptions to him.

- When Champ went off the field for KC's last two drives and we had Webster/Jammer outside that's when KC started moving the chains, unlike before when they couldn't do sh*t in the passing game because Champ took Bowe out completely.

Seriously, take this thread and dump it in the gutter.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #32
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Also, Smith looked to his right at least two/three times when KC went into punt mode and each time Champ had tight coverage on Bowe, and it forced Smith to go to his 2nd read.

Smith/KC wanted to target Champ this game but apart from 3/4 small receptions Bailey held up very well for a guy who's missed three months of football.

How about before people start putting up garbage they back it up with some facts like how many times he was targetted? How many big plays he gave up? How many snaps did he play and against which WR?

Champ has done the most important thing so far this season: Get back on the field without any physical setbacks. We've got 4 weeks for him to get his conditioning back up, get into better shape and we roll into the playoffs with two cover corners in DRC/Champ lined up outside and Harris inside.

Which dumba$$ here wouldn't want that?

Again, seriously, take this thread and dump it in the gutter.

Last edited by fontaine; 12-02-2013 at 09:43 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

God, some of you people are idiots.

Seems like you can't wait to throw one of the best players to ever wear the jersey under the bus. Doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Hoping Champ can work his way into game shape by the time we hit the playoffs. I like Webster but he's still very raw, if we can have a fully healthy depth chart reading

DRC
Champ
Harris

at CB come January we'll look a whole lot better on D.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
yerner
Ring of Famer

Some of you should stop watching football. You don't know what you're watching.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I think it is way too early to throw dirt on him.

I had only two beers during the game, so I know I wasn't lit, could have sworn he played alright. He just has to get his body acclimated. Same thing Von is doing right now..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Yes- Champ is probably done after this year unless he wants to make pennies on the dollar and play a much more diminshed role.

Its been great to have him all of these years, but time and age awlays catch up.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Also, Smith looked to his right at least two/three times when KC went into punt mode and each time Champ had tight coverage on Bowe, and it forced Smith to go to his 2nd read.

Smith/KC wanted to target Champ this game but apart from 3/4 small receptions Bailey held up very well for a guy who's missed three months of football.

How about before people start putting up garbage they back it up with some facts like how many times he was targetted? How many big plays he gave up? How many snaps did he play and against which WR?

Champ has done the most important thing so far this season: Get back on the field without any physical setbacks. We've got 4 weeks for him to get his conditioning back up, get into the better shape and we roll into the playoffs with two cover corners in DRC/Champ lined up outside and Harris inside.

No kidding. We've gotten like five of these threads this season for every time he's taken an extra week to come back from injury. Now he plays on a limited schedule like a guy they want ease back in and we get another ****ing "he's finished" thread.

It's just bizarre how borderline giddy a few Broncos fans on here are to bury the best thing to happen to this franchise post-Elway/pre-Manning. They can't just raise concerns about if he will be able to bounce back—they have to shout loudly that he needs to be axed.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service.
It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years.
I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement

"It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years."
bingo ! QBs just looked elswhere and found paths of less resistance.
champ has been living off of reputation for at least the last 3 years.
now, he is the guy with a bulls-eye on his jersey, front and back.
he coulkd have been a tremendous safety and added 20more INTs to his resume, instead he was content to follow decoys to the bathroom every sunday and pick up his paycheck for being ignored.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #39
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Champ has done the most important thing so far this season: Get back on the field without any physical setbacks. We've got 4 weeks for him to get his conditioning back up, get into the better shape and we roll into the playoffs with two cover corners in DRC/Champ lined up outside and Harris inside.

fellow bronco fan, fontaine,' I rtespect your opinion but your emotions are making you delusional on this one if you think CHAMP is still a viable 1 on 1 cover corner.
he has NEVER played prerss coverage, he cant hang with ANY deep threat, he cant deny ANY TE the ball on ANY typical TE route.
I thnk he could learn the free safety position, play 'centerfield' and use his savvy, ball skills, tackling ability, and years of knowledge and instincts to be an ed reed kind of contributor, but that is a move he should have made years ago!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
ChampJesusBailey
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What happened to Tony Carter? He seemed at least serviceable last year. Webster just gets abused over and over and over.
ChampJesusBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #41
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Will Champ be back with the Broncos next season at his current cap number- not likely.

However I am only concerned with this season, and this season he can help us win the SB. It would have been stupid to play him in all of the defensive snaps in his first game back. Come playoff time he might be back in his usual starting role though, which would be good for us.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #42
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:

yesterdays game?
champ is now our cooper.
thats reality people.
QBs will be targeting champ.
he knows it... thats why he is so willing to come off the field.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Pretty sure Chef Luigi is one of those Chinese "smart" bots, some sort of Internet posting program some nerds wrote in college.

If there's a living, breathing person sitting at a keyboard, making those posts... damn, it's a dazzling thought.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #44
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
He's had all off season to get healthy? He got injured in the preseason. Some injuries take a while to come back from even for younger players. Even if this injury keeps him limited this season I don't see any reason to think actually having an off season to recover from this injury couldn't get him back on the field.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #45
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Pretty sure Chef Luigi is one of those Chinese "smart" bots, some sort of Internet posting program some nerds wrote in college.

If there's a living, breathing person sitting at a keyboard, making those posts... damn, it's a dazzling thought.
daMNation, I have been exposed, must re-boot.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #46
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
"It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years."
bingo ! QBs just looked elswhere and found paths of less resistance.
Does not compute.
Shananahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #47
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

am glad JDR has the balls to pull him when necessary.

11 best on the field all the time.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #48
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.
I mean really? Of course he's gonna play if healthy the rest of the year. K am talking about moving forward
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #49
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Chef luigi needs hormone replacement therapy. It helped my mother in law a lot.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
and it's my opinion that you and all the other champ haters on this board can go **** yourselves.

sick of seeing this thread six times a month.
Lol, I am no champ hater homie. So players don't get old and diminish. Ed reed? Jesus ****ing Christ. Don't shoot the messenger
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote