The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default It's time for Champ to hang it up

I hate to say it, but Champ Bailey needs to get his retirement papers in order, because this needs to be his last season.

There was a time when I thought Denver could convert him to a safety and maybe buy another two years. But after watching him get injured (yet again) on the 2nd play from scrimmage against KC today, I'm afraid that even a safety role is more than his body can handle.

Champ has been one of my favorite players over the last decade, but guys like Richard Sherman are now the yardstick for "Shut-Down Corners" and Champ is just a shadow of his old self.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Yep. Dude's body is breaking down. It happens sometimes.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

He knows it too.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

idiot thread
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
idiot thread
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years. I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
a difference of opinion. He was great for a couple years. 2010 or 2011 on, he lived off his name.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years. I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would be fine with a move to Safety at this point. I love Champ, he's one of my favorite players of all time. Class guy, HOF player, IMO the best CB to ever play the game.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
Actually the point is that (especially at his "geriatric age" ) he just might need a little bit of time to get into "football shape" -- significantly more time than a young player like Von would need. It isn't Champ's fault that he had the misfortune to be re-injured earlier in the season. While one can say "well, he just can't get healthy" -- it's also a fact that an injury can happen on any play in the NFL and the player's age doesn't matter. What's "silly" is judging his future based on limited playing time in his first game back after injury.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
I think most everyone wants him to go out with a ring. This is pretty much his last shot at it unless he goes into coaching.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Champ said after the game that he wasn't re injured, the team just benched him in favor of Webster, Jammer and Harris.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Champ said after the game that he wasn't re injured, the team just benched him in favor of Webster, Jammer and Harris.
Getting benched in favor of of Webster and Jammer? Yeah that's a very bad sign...
Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Getting benched in favor of of Webster and Jammer? Yeah that's a very bad sign...
JDR said they went into the game with the intention of not playing Champ that much. I think Champ still has ability if he's healthy; it's just getting there.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
JDR said they went into the game with the intention of not playing Champ that much. I think Champ still has ability if he's healthy; it's just getting there.
I hope so. We need help at corner big time.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #17
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years.
and it's my opinion that you and all the other champ haters on this board can go **** yourselves.

sick of seeing this thread six times a month.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #18
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really really like Champ and he's had a nice career but he may be the single most overrated player on the OM. The dude was great for us for maybe 4 years but his numbers, play, and overall intensity have fallen way off since 07/09. But people talk about him like he's the GOAT as a corner, personally I doubt he cracks top 5. Again he's had a nice career (great by Broncos standards) but the dude has fallen way off during the most important time to win in his career.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
He didn't say benched did he? He said he was feeling the rust and age and was on a play count. It is a marked falloff and he may be done, but I still want to see what he looks like after he has eased in a few games.

Edit: Found it referenced in one of the Denver Post articles. That has to sting.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 12-02-2013 at 05:29 AM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I really really like Champ and he's had a nice career but he may be the single most overrated player on the OM. The dude was great for us for maybe 4 years but his numbers, play, and overall intensity have fallen way off since 07/09. But people talk about him like he's the GOAT as a corner, personally I doubt he cracks top 5. Again he's had a nice career (great by Broncos standards) but the dude has fallen way off during the most important time to win in his career.
Whenever I see people make statements like this about Champ I know they are those kinds people who think great cornerback play is measured by interceptions. It's funny really. The number one reason our pass defense has gone to crap this season is not having Champ like we did last year. Seriously, get a clue.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Whenever I see people make statements like this about Champ I know they are those kinds people who think great cornerback play is measured by interceptions. It's funny really. The number one reason our pass defense has gone to crap this season is not having Champ like we did last year. Seriously, get a clue.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #22
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Actually the point is that (especially at his "geriatric age" ) he just might need a little bit of time to get into "football shape" -- significantly more time than a young player like Von would need. It isn't Champ's fault that he had the misfortune to be re-injured earlier in the season. While one can say "well, he just can't get healthy" -- it's also a fact that an injury can happen on any play in the NFL and the player's age doesn't matter. What's "silly" is judging his future based on limited playing time in his first game back after injury.
Hard to get back into shape when you're constantly returning to the sideline to nurse the injury of the moment.

I haven't given up hope that he returns to full-strength and that when he does so he will be as good as he was last season, but it's becoming very hard to see that happening this year. When he's been in this season it seems like he's just been burnt on comeback routes and throws to the sideline over and over again until he heads to the sideline himself with an injury.

Assuming that his body isn't completely giving up on him, I think there's definitely a spot on this team for the guy. He's as good a tackler as we've had for years and aside from blitzing the QB could theoretically bring to our secondary something like Woodson offers the Raiders.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #23
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
How about you explain how I'm wrong instead of nonsense like that picture. Champ was the backbone of our pass defense last year (along with Von). You should maybe learn something about football before posting in a forum about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

With everyone dropping like flies due to injuries, they need every warm body they can find that might have a chance of knowing the defense.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I bet they are easing him in over the next 4 games, which should hold less weight than that KC game...

Champ isn't pre 2010 anymore, but he can still play a year or two.... I'd like to see him get a ring and retire by choice....
B-Large is online now   Reply With Quote