The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #51
yerner
Ring of Famer

Couldn't Boldin or James Jones do what Decker does but cheaper? I say yes.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
It's not really about the value Denver places on Decker, it's about the value he places on himself as a free agent.

Is he the best WR on the team? No.
Is he the best WR in a weak FA class? Probably yes.

Decker's going to want to see what's out there as a free agent. He would be stupid otherwise given the weak WR class at FA and the number of teams that would be lining up to outbid Denver for him.

I just don't see us competing with that given our other FAs, not just this offseason but in '15.

That's why Tamme is so important. Losing Decker to FA isn't going to be such a big loss if we can still run two TE sets with JT/Tamme and have Welker/DT as well.
This was my point. I don't advocate letting Decker go, but I also don't advocate paying him so much money that it hurts us somewhere else.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #53
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

When you have big guys that can play DT at a fairly high level like Vickerson has, you have to re-sign him. He's totally pissed me off a couple times this year with his penalties. Other than that I think he is a key contributor to our run D playing well. I know we don't get run on a lot but he's solid+.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd also like to keep Decker. however, how much of a upgrade is he over a guy like Caldwell?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Cool, I said hold onto it which can cover a few things.
He's been better the last couple of weeks. However, there is a book of him and ball security. To deny it is homerish..
Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #56
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I'd also like to keep Decker. however, how much of a upgrade is he over a guy like Caldwell?

think canoe compared to the Queen Mary.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
think canoe compared to the Queen Mary.
God Save the Queen.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #58
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Decker, Ayers and Beadles are way better than most folks give them credit for around here. Shockingly, all are McD picks. Phillips isn't that good and is old. Woodyard is a must, same with DRC.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #59
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Oh and Vickerson is an awesome DT when not removing his helmet to taunt or whatever.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #60
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Ideally, we win it all this year and Champ rides off into the sunset.
I think Champ retires regardless...especially if he doesn't come back 100% healthy later on this year.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #61
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
He's leading the team in targets because Welker and Thomas are drawing all of the double teams. No myth there.
so your plan is to let Caldwell or some as of yet unknown player become the target in 2014 season instead of Decker? Welker and DT will still be drawing those double teams next year too correct?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #62
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Why do folks continue to perpetuate this myth?

3rd receivers don't lead the team in targets. Period.
Same reason why they still think Moreno fumbles every other game....because they are low information fans who hate on a guy because he was drafted instead of someone they wanted or by a coach they hate.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #63
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

In a dream world, we keep Decker...the chemistry between he and Manning cannot be undervalued. Manning puts huge emphasis and importance on playing with the same plays year in and year out.

The reality is, this FA off-season will be his chance to cash in. Unless John Elway can sell he and DT that they will hugely benefit from playing together for the rest of their careers, I don't see how else he would stay.

It's rare that you get 2 star receivers in the same draft (kudos to McDaniels)... so in the perfect world, you'd think about a scenario where both players could be put on similar long term contracts and get all the ego out of the way. Neither player currently strikes me as diva types, but you never know until the situation presents itself.

Then you factor in the agents in the players ear because they want a huge pay day too...

Last edited by Action; 11-05-2013 at 02:55 AM..
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #64
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The big reason we keep Decker is to keep the continuity on offense. Thats a huge deal in a Peyton ran offense. If it means we have to over pay by a little then im ok with it. You can tell it's on both DT and Decker's mind to stay healthy and get that next contract. Neither of those guys ever fight for the extra yard. Not that I blame. Does anyone know what putting the Tag on Decker next season would cost us?
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #65
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lets not forget that Free Agents want to come play here, probably more then any other team. So we could could easily add several key pieces in the offseason that way. Jarius Byrd, A Talib, Charles Tillman, Jared Allen are all guys we could get.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #66
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I honestly believe that Elway expects Peyton to play out his contract. 3.5 more seasons! This would have me believe the plan should be to first sure-up the Offense, OL in particular then look to stock the Defense through the draft and signing guys to 1 or 2 year deals. Giving DRC a 40-50M dollar deal is a bad idea imo. We should possibly look to put the tag on Wesley. Then maybe resign Deck to a longer deal with more guaranteed money, but make the first couple years cheap.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #67
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Don't forget Trindon Holliday, Duke, Chris Harris and Tony Carter will all need new contracts as well.

There will be a LOT of moving money around to resign these guys and get everything in order.
I do see us resigning DRC, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Duke and Chris Harris. Decker is a wild card, I think people underrate his ability a little on here, but if some team is willing to throw top dollar money at him, let him walk because Demaryius is more important.
Duke and Trindon are ERFA and will be re-signed to 1 year $555,000 deals. Harris will most likely get a 2nd rd or 1st rd tender, Carter will most likely hit the market.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #68
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
so your plan is to let Caldwell or some as of yet unknown player become the target in 2014 season instead of Decker? Welker and DT will still be drawing those double teams next year too correct?
Yes. Elway has done a fantastic job of building talent on this team both through free agency and the draft. I trust him to replace Decker with a cheaper but productive option allowing Denver to keep DT the following season. Good teams simply can't keep all of their good players in the salary cap era.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #69
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Duke and Trindon are ERFA and will be re-signed to 1 year $555,000 deals. Harris will most likely get a 2nd rd or 1st rd tender, Carter will most likely hit the market.
I'd hope that Harris gets a first round tender. Good man corners are hard to find, especially ones that can cover slot receivers effectively.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #70
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Decker is a luxury as a 3rd receiver, not a need. I'm guessing that him and Beadles will be gone.
paging ziggy
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #71
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Who has more TDs in the four years with the broncos? Decker or DT?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote