The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default Obama admin. knew millions could not keep their health insurance

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...insurance?lite

Quote:
NBC News
President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years.
Four sources deeply involved in the Affordable Care Act tell NBC NEWS that 50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy their insurance individually can expect to receive a “cancellation” letter or the equivalent over the next year because their existing policies don’t meet the standards mandated by the new health care law. One expert predicts that number could reach as high as 80 percent. And all say that many of those forced to buy pricier new policies will experience “sticker shock.”
Advertise | AdChoices

None of this should come as a shock to the Obama administration. The law states that policies in effect as of March 23, 2010 will be “grandfathered,” meaning consumers can keep those policies even though they don’t meet requirements of the new health care law. But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date -- the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example -- the policy would not be grandfathered.

Buried in Obamacare regulations from July 2010 is an estimate that because of normal turnover in the individual insurance market, “40 to 67 percent” of customers will not be able to keep their policy. And because many policies will have been changed since the key date, “the percentage of individual market policies losing grandfather status in a given year exceeds the 40 to 67 percent range.”
That means the administration knew that more than 40 to 67 percent of those in the individual market would not be able to keep their plans, even if they liked them.
Yet President Obama, who had promised in 2009, “if you like your health plan, you will be able to keep your health plan,” was still saying in 2012, “If [you] already have health insurance, you will keep your health insurance.”
“This says that when they made the promise, they knew half the people in this market outright couldn’t keep what they had and then they wrote the rules so that others couldn’t make it either,” said Robert Laszewski, of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, a consultant who works for health industry firms. Laszewski estimates that 80 percent of those in the individual market will not be able to keep their current policies and will have to buy insurance that meets requirements of the new law, which generally requires a richer package of benefits than most policies today.
The White House does not dispute that many in the individual market will lose their current coverage, but argues they will be offered better coverage in its place, and that many will get tax subsidies that would offset any increased costs.
“One of the main goals of the law is to ensure that people have insurance they can rely on – that doesn’t discriminate or charge more based on pre-existing conditions. The consumers who are getting notices are in plans that do not provide all these protections – but in the vast majority of cases, those same insurers will automatically shift their enrollees to a plan that provides new consumer protections and, for nearly half of individual market enrollees, discounts through premium tax credits,” said White House spokesperson Jessica Santillo.
“Nothing in the Affordable Care Act forces people out of their health plans: The law allows plans that covered people at the time the law was enacted to continue to offer that same coverage to the same enrollees – nothing has changed and that coverage can continue into 2014,” she said.
Individual insurance plans with low premiums often lack basic benefits, such as prescription drug coverage, or carry high deductibles and out-of-pocket costs. The Affordable Care Act requires all companies to offer more benefits, such as mental health care, and also bars companies from denying coverage for preexisting conditions.
Today, White House spokesman Jay Carney was asked about the president’s promise that consumers would be able to keep their health care. “What the president said and what everybody said all along is that there are going to be changes brought about by the Affordable Care Act to create minimum standards of coverage, minimum services that every insurance plan has to provide,” Carney said. “So it's true that there are existing healthcare plans on the individual market that don't meet those minimum standards and therefore do not qualify for the Affordable Care Act.”

Courtesy of Heather Goldwater
Heather Goldwater, 38, of South Carolina, says that she received a letter from her insurer saying the company would no longer offer her plan, but hasn't yet received a follow-up letter with a comparable option.

Other experts said that most consumers in the individual market will not be able to keep their policies. Nancy Thompson, senior vice president of CBIZ Benefits, which helps companies manage their employee benefits, says numbers in this market are hard to pin down, but that data from states and carriers suggests “anywhere from 50 to 75 percent” of individual policy holders will get cancellation letters. Kansas Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger, who chairs the health committee of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, says that estimate is “probably about right.” She added that a few states are asking insurance companies to cancel and replace policies, rather than just amend them, to avoid confusion.
Advertise | AdChoices

A spokesman for America's Health Plans says there are no precise numbers on how many will receive cancellations letters or get notices that their current policies don’t meet ACA standards. In both cases, consumers will not be able to keep their current coverage.
Those getting the cancellation letters are often shocked and unhappy.
George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was "perfectly happy" with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a letter saying his policy was no longer available. The "comparable" plan the insurance company offered him carried a $1,208 monthly premium and a $5,500 deductible.
And the best option he’s found on the exchange so far offered a 415 percent jump in premium, to $948 a month.
"The deductible is less," he said, "But the plan doesn't meet my needs. Its unaffordable."
"I'm sitting here looking at this, thinking we ought to just pay the fine and just get insurance when we're sick," Schwab added. "Everybody's worried about whether the website works or not, but that's fixable. That's just the tip of the iceberg. This stuff isn't fixable."

Heather Goldwater, 38, of South Carolina, is raising a new baby while running her own PR firm. She said she received a letter last July from Cigna, her insurance company, that said the company would no longer offer her individual plan, and promised to send a letter by October offering a comparable option. So far, she hasn't received anything.

"I'm completely overwhelmed with a six-month-old and a business,” said Goldwater. “The last thing I can do is spend hours poring over a website that isn't working, trying to wrap my head around this entire health care overhaul."
Goldwater said she supports the new law and is grateful for provisions helping folks like her with pre-existing conditions, but she worries she won’t be able to afford the new insurance, which is expected to cost more because it has more benefits. "I'm jealous of people who have really good health insurance," she said. "It's people like me who are stuck in the middle who are going to get screwed."

Richard Helgren, a Lansing, Mich., retiree, said he was “irate” when he received a letter informing him that his wife Amy's $559 a month health plan was being changed because of the law. The plan the insurer offered raised his deductible from $0 to $2,500, and the company gave him 17 days to decide.
The higher costs spooked him and his wife, who have painstakingly planned for their retirement years. "Every dollar we didn't plan for erodes our standard of living," Helgren said.
Ulltimately, though Helgren opted not to shop through the ACA exchanges, he was able to apply for a good plan with a slightly lower premium through an insurance agent.
He said he never believed President Obama’s promise that people would be able to keep their current plans.
"I heard him only about a thousand times," he said. "I didn't believe him when he said it though because there was just no way that was going to happen. They wrote the regulations so strictly that none of the old polices can grandfather."
For months, Laszewski has warned that some consumers will face sticker shock. He recently got his own notice that he and his wife cannot keep their current policy, which he described as one of the best, so-called "Cadillac" plans offered for 2013. Now, he said, the best comparable plan he found for 2014 has a smaller doctor network, larger out-of-pocket costs, and a 66 percent premium increase.
“Mr. President, I like the coverage I have," Laszweski said. "It is the best health insurance policy you can buy."
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default CBS: Horror Story Discredits Obama's 'Reassuring Phrase' About Keeping Health Plans

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew...out-keeping-he
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Rep!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Board Liberals remain quiet when confronted with facts as usual
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Crickets!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I guess Americans are getting a good feel for how expensive private profit driven healthcare really is... lol....

when insurance compaines take 20 cents of every dollar American spends on healthcare, and that was considered an improvement over the 30-35 cents they used to take, you know your system is bordering on criminal.

But we got to keep our **** system private, we reap what we sow...
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Which is why I've been opposed to the ACA ever since the Heritage Foundation proposed it. Like Moynihan said, just take away the age limit on Medicare and be done with it. The funny thing is, Nixon is the one who said the whole health insurance industry, HMO thing was a sham right out of the gate.

And if there's one guy in the world who knew what a crooked deal was when he saw it...

Last edited by Rohirrim; 10-29-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Which is why I've been opposed to the ACA ever since the Heritage Foundation proposed it. Like Moynihan said, just take away the age limit on Medicare and be done with it. The funny thing is, Nixon is the one who said the whole health insurance industry, HMO thing was a sham right out of the gate.

And if there's one guy in the world who knew what a crooked deal was when he saw it...
There you go again. Acting like expanding a retirement health program into a universal pay-go program is seamless.

It'd make healthcare.gov look like a walk in the park.

Buh buh buh.... we wrote legislation! That means it has to work!
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
There you go again. Acting like expanding a retirement health program into a universal pay-go program is seamless.

It'd make healthcare.gov look like a walk in the park.

Buh buh buh.... we wrote legislation! That means it has to work!
There you go again, making up your own jokes that have nothing to do with anything and then laughing at them. What is it with you guys and your smilies, anyway? Covering up for some kind of insecurity, no doubt.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I guess Americans are getting a good feel for how expensive private profit driven healthcare really is... lol....

when insurance compaines take 20 cents of every dollar American spends on healthcare, and that was considered an improvement over the 30-35 cents they used to take, you know your system is bordering on criminal.

But we got to keep our **** system private, we reap what we sow...
Not sure where you're getting those percentages. Health Insurers aren't all that profitable. 5% is a great year for them. If you want profitable, look at Pharma and Health services. That's where most of the money goes.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nce-companies/
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There you go again, making up your own jokes that have nothing to do with anything and then laughing at them. What is it with you guys and your smilies, anyway? Covering up for some kind of insecurity, no doubt.
Sorry man. It's just pretty funny watching Proggies in Denial, staring this whole clustereff in the face and saying to themselves "Yep. I want these guys to run my health care. All of it."
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting those percentages. Health Insurers aren't all that profitable. 5% is a great year for them. If you want profitable, look at Pharma and Health services. That's where most of the money goes.

Which, from a $3 trillion dollar industry is not so bad. Especially given that they shouldn't exist in the first place.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Which, from a $3 trillion dollar industry is not so bad. Especially given that they shouldn't exist in the first place.
Insurance isn't the whole industry. But even that, take the 2.2% or 3% average quoted in the article I posted. Banish it. Then watch one year of medical inflation eat that amount up and probably still outpace regular inflation on top of it.

What did you just really solve? Other than getting a few of those "Give Richie Rich What He Had Comin'" goosebumps and tingles you kids live for.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Sorry man. It's just pretty funny watching Proggies in Denial, staring this whole clustereff in the face and saying to themselves "Yep. I want these guys to run my health care. All of it."
I find it just as funny to watch Right Wing fanatics... period.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I find it just as funny to watch Right Wing fanatics... period.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Insurance isn't the whole industry. But even that, take the 2.2% or 3% average quoted in the article I posted. Banish it. Then watch one year of medical inflation eat that amount up and probably still outpace regular inflation on top of it.

What did you just really solve? Other than getting a few of those "Give Richie Rich What He Had Comin'" goosebumps and tingles you kids live for.
I really don't have to bother arguing about it. Universal, single payer health care in America is as inevitable as snow in winter. Health care ain't widgets. Continuously trying to market it as if it were just proves a kind of intransigent stupidity that will eventually be bulldozed by history. Sayonara.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

It was a rule in the ACA, 80 cents of a dollar collected has to go to direct care, other wise the premium payor gets refunded. It hard to discuss this when people don't even care to know what is in the legislation.

So the question is, what the heck are they doing with 20 cents of every dollar? They process claims, does 20 cents of every dollar we spend in the US as premium really need to a TPA to process claim? Its all computerized, you get a contract in place, assign values to CPT codes and cross them wiht ICD9's, and pay or don't pay. I understand denials and appeals, but 20% of every dollar?

By Health services do you mean hospitals? We run on 3-5% profit margins... that ain't high on the hog.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I really don't have to bother arguing about it. Universal, single payer health care in America is as inevitable as snow in winter. Health care ain't widgets. Continuously trying to market it as if it were just proves a kind of intransigent stupidity that will eventually be bulldozed by history. Sayonara.
Free Markets simple don't work efficiently in Healthcare. Everybody wants to the product, very few can pay for it outright in serious cases and as a nation we may sure everybody gets it for humanitarain reasons.

What other industries work like that? That's right, none.

Single Payor with scaled deductibles and copays for everyone. Make the Tax Imposed small, put more Americans in a place to budget for their health expenses by covering a chuck upfront. Let hospitals band together to buy drugs and supplies in mass... streamline billing and establish a National EMR so we have WAY less waste time and reosurces.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It was a rule in the ACA, 80 cents of a dollar collected has to go to direct care, other wise the premium payor gets refunded. It hard to discuss this when people don't even care to know what is in the legislation.

So the question is, what the heck are they doing with 20 cents of every dollar? They process claims, does 20 cents of every dollar we spend in the US as premium really need to a TPA to process claim? Its all computerized, you get a contract in place, assign values to CPT codes and cross them wiht ICD9's, and pay or don't pay. I understand denials and appeals, but 20% of every dollar?

By Health services do you mean hospitals? We run on 3-5% profit margins... that ain't high on the hog.
There are some arguments over how much it should cost to manage claims. But there's a reason that Medicare is the most defrauded insurance in the world. And it's defenders call that "efficiency"

The problem with 'set it and forget it' automation instead of good claims management is that once you lock a system in place, providers find out what it is.

So if you're willing to pay for w,x,y, and z under a given diagnosis code, instead of providers sometimes ordering x and z or w and y depending on the situation, they'll order all of it. Everything the system is configured to pay for. And they have software that cookbooks it all for them.

Good claim management tells the provider "Hey, you might have to defend this decision at some point, and act in the interest of efficiency for your client"

If the patient was paying directly, providers would do this intrinsically. But the idea that that can be substituted with a few coding filters is extremely naive.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I mean the whole sector. As for Hospitals, like many interests, they have ways of putting money different places.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...lousy-villains

Quote:
Overall, the profit margin for health insurance companies was a modest 3.4 percent over the past year, according to data provided by Morningstar. That ranks 87th out of 215 industries and slightly above the median of 2.2 percent. By this measure, the most profitable industry over the past year has been beverages, with a 25.9 percent profit margin. Right behind that were healthcare real-estate trusts (firms that are basically the landlords for hospitals and healthcare facilities) and application-software (think Windows). The worst performer was copper, with a profit margin of minus 56.6 percent.

Health insurers turn out to be underperformers compared with the other parts of the healthcare sector. Pharmaceutical companies have a profit margin of 16.4 percent—seventh highest of the 215 industries that Morningstar tracks. Others segments of healthcare with margins well above the median include healthcare information (9.4 percent), home healthcare firms (8.5 percent), medical labs (8.2 percent), and generic drugmakers (6.5 percent).
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Obamacare Lies Exposed -- Data Proves ACA Not Responsible For Growth In Part-Time Jobs

One of the more popular economic myths spun by the anti-Obamacare forces is the suggestion that employers are avoiding the law by moving to an employee model based on part-time workers rather than full-time employees.

For those committed to destroying the Affordable Care act by any means possible, who can blame them for seeking to misdirect based on using only a small part of the data as it pertains to employment when telling the full story blows up the entire meme? Such a claim is, after all, ear candy for an audience looking for any reason to hate the law, even if they don’t quite know why they so are so displeased.

The problem, however, is that this popular line of attack comes with a rather significant flaw—the claim is provably false.

While there are, no doubt, a few companies out there moving to increase part-time employees at the expense of full-time workers—mostly involving retail and fast food companies that have always depended heavily on a part-time employee model—it turns out that the frantic claims arguing that the ACA is causing some massive loss of full-time work is simply not supported by the empirical data.

While we will get to that data in just a moment, to better understand how the opponents of healthcare reform are selling this bit of disinformation, it is important to know the basis of their claim.

It begins by acknowledging that 27 million Americans are currently employed in part-time jobs—a number that is, in fact, well above the historical norms.

Left on its own, that bit of information ties in quite nicely with the suggestion that we can hold Obamacare responsible for these numbers when one considers that employing full-time workers holds the potential for greater benefits obligations for a company with 50 or more employees.

However, when one looks just one layer beneath the surface—a bit of research one might expect honest brokers to perform before informing the public that the sky is falling—a very different picture emerges.

There are—as defined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)—two classifications of part-time workers.

Those who are working 35 hours or less because they cannot accomplish the full-time employment they desire are called “part-time for economic reasons”, while those who work 35 hours or less because that is all the work they want are part-time by choice.

A more careful review of the latest BLS jobs report out last week—a review in which the anti-Obamacare forces do not want you to engage in—reveals that while we do, indeed, currently have 27 million part-time workers in the economy, only 8 million of these people are working part-time because they cannot find a full-time job.

That means that 19 million Americans are working part-time because that is all the work they desire to have.

What’s more, not only does the September jobs report reveal that the number of part-timers wishing for full-time work showed no increase when compared to the previous month’s numbers, the report provides a piece of data far more important—

In September of 2012, the number of part-timers seeking full-time work comprised 6 percent of the workforce. One year later, the September jobs report reveals that the number has shrunk to 5.5 percent.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...art-time-jobs/
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

"I KNOW NOTHING!"

Last edited by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun; 10-29-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post

Millions of Americans knew it as well, but as many here have demonstrated repeatedly with their deliberate ignorance, they just couldn't believe this good and decent man gave less than two sh 1 ts about them. Some here were predicting this in 2009, btw.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The crazy liberal that lives down the street from me is outside on his porch crying about getting a cancellation notice in his mail. He is now pissed at Obama. It's hilarious to watch. The low information fools are getting dropped left and right. It's only gonna get worse.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote