The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Is Manning hurt? What was the deal with the passes to the RBs in the flats that went for nothing?

A lot of the time it looked like that was their intended play call....we were playing very conservative, like something was wrong with Peyton.

2nd half it looked like we tried it for the 3 three and outs in a row we had.

Our offense was looking like the offense we had when Orton was the QB for a couple of plays WTF was going on tonight. If the defense wouldn't have bucked down we could of been blown out pretty badly due to these series of plays that we ran.

Adam Gase has been impressive all year but he left me scratching my head today thinking is Manning is hurt or is this just a bad play call with bad throws sprinkled in why else would they call nothing but short passes.

example:

(7:40) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 27-K.Moreno to DEN 18 for 4 yards (30-L.Landry).

In the final quarter he had some real serious ducks out there, and I know Peyton doesn't have the strongest arm but this was different he seemed to lack arm strength from previous games, and if it wasn't for our WRs making unbelievable catches on those ducks we could of been in even more trouble.

Were they just calling these short plays because he was injured? Even when they were forced to throw it down field there was something about Peyton that looked way off. It seemed like he had to really step into the throws to get anything on them late in the game.

I know his numbers looked good this game, but the eyes told a different story we can't ignore. I am concerned about Peyton, should I be or am I reading too much into it?
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Not sure if this warranted ANOTHER thread. But yes there is something off. On in hit he was on camera for a brief second grabbing at an ankle. I still worry about that face mask he took in Dallas and any reoccurring damage to his neck.

But you also have to factor in that the OL protection has resorted to him making decisions in 1.5 seconds and there is no way he can plant his feet and make the reads. Where as earlier he had way more time to make progressions and set up for a good pass.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
A lot of the time it looked like that was their intended play call....we were playing very conservative, like something was wrong with Peyton.

2nd half it looked like we tried it for the 3 three and outs in a row we had.

Our offense was looking like the offense we had when Orton was the QB for a couple of plays WTF was going on tonight. If the defense wouldn't have bucked down we could of been blown out pretty badly due to these series of plays that we ran.

Adam Gase has been impressive all year but he left me scratching my head today thinking is Manning is hurt or is this just a bad play call with bad throws sprinkled in why else would they call nothing but short passes.

example:

(7:40) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 27-K.Moreno to DEN 18 for 4 yards (30-L.Landry).

In the final quarter he had some real serious ducks out there, and I know Peyton doesn't have the strongest arm but this was different he seemed to lack arm strength from previous games, and if it wasn't for our WRs making unbelievable catches on those ducks we could of been in even more trouble.

Were they just calling these short plays because he was injured? Even when they were forced to throw it down field there was something about Peyton that looked way off. It seemed like he had to really step into the throws to get anything on them late in the game.

I know his numbers looked good this game, but the eyes told a different story we can't ignore. I am concerned about Peyton, should I be or am I reading too much into it?
The example you used was a screen pass I believe.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

But i share your concern....something isnt right
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

I posted in another thread my concern with the face mask in the dallas game and a drop in performance since then. Remember, last time manning screwed up his neck it wasn't 1 hit in particular, it was the slow nerve degeneration after multiple hits that eventually got so bad in 2010 that he was playing the worst of his career.

My concern immediately after seeing his neck pulled to the side two weeks ago was "****, I hope that doesn't cause him more nerve damage." And I think it's a legitimate concern, even though he finished that game strong. Time will tell, I guess, but it's something to keep an eye on.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

^I don't think its THAT serious, I doubt it happened in a previous game because Peyton came out guns blazing with Decker, and until he took that shot from Mathis he wasn't the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
The example you used was a screen pass I believe.
Maybe but I thought it was the play that looked like a wheel route, the same one they kept running all night for some reason
Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Maybe but I thought it was the play that looked like a wheel route, the same one they kept running all night for some reason
Maybe it was a wheel route, but there were blockers set up.

But i agree, im concerned. There's something wrong.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Maybe it was a wheel route, but there were blockers set up.

But i agree, im concerned. There's something wrong.
Maybe I got to re-watch it.

They kept calling that play though and they kept running the ball almost every 1st down I wanted to rip my hair out.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just think the Colts did a good job frustrating him. There were some awful play calls, and Denver couldn't get the ground game going at all. Really, never could get in sync
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Not sure if this warranted ANOTHER thread. But yes there is something off. On in hit he was on camera for a brief second grabbing at an ankle. I still worry about that face mask he took in Dallas and any reoccurring damage to his neck.

Mods closed all other relevant threads. This one will be too.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Mods closed all other relevant threads. This one will be too.
Ah got, thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Its funny how awesome the offense looked when Peyton stopped giving a **** and was throwing it up for his WR's to make catches.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

He's the same guy. He has no arm strength, but he didn't have arm strength last year or at any point during the first six games. The only difference is the Colts played man exclusively and their cover guys came to play. We got beat, plain and simple.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Something was wrong with Manning's arm strength tonight. it was obvious to me anyway that something was wrong. I hope it's nothing serious.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Looked the same to me other than him having some accuracy issues. Not sure what you people are talking about.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Looked the same to me other than him having some accuracy issues. Not sure what you people are talking about.
It looked like he was having an off day, but arm strength isn't a concern right now. He chucked it down field multiple times.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

I think the colts came to play and Manning wasn't right in the head (mentally). Couple that w the horrendous oline/TE blocking and there you have it. Oh, and lets not forget the pass D. Holy crap.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I don't think it was arm strength, rather the WR weren't able to break the press and Manning was taking what the defense gave him. Unfortunately we didn't get it done.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Granted i only saw the highlights but i didn't see anything different.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I don't think it was arm strength, rather the WR weren't able to break the press and Manning was taking what the defense gave him. Unfortunately we didn't get it done.
This. We only started getting open when they had 3 DBs out.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Manning was injured in the Jax game... (remember him going to the locker room in the 1st half) ... he is still hurting
i4jelway7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

There were a lot of big, strong men getting the **** kicked out of them by lil guys like Vontae, Butler and CASSIUS ****ING VAUGHN.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
Manning was injured in the Jax game... (remember him going to the locker room in the 1st half) ... he is still hurting
I agree.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There were a lot of big, strong men getting the **** kicked out of them by lil guys like Vontae, Butler and CASSIUS ****ING VAUGHN.
This
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

In the presser a reporter asked Manning if the Mathis hit had an effect on his arm strength since it seemed like that play started the switch to floaters. Peyton played it off (joking that he throws a lot of wobbly passes... and wobbly TD's too), but you could tell the question bothered him a bit.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote