The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,710
Default

If Doom were still on the roster...we would probably have the same exact sack numbers. We would not have signed Phillips and people would be complaining about Doom's lack of explosive plays.

...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,959
Default

It would be nice if we stopped using Wolfe as an edge rusher and let him attack the middle

That is something we have not seen this year that we had last year

Hopefully with Von back that changes
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games.

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.


Sorry buddy, your credibility on this issue is WAY out the window. Phillips HAS been an impact player with the Broncos. Just last week he had 3 tipped balls (2 of them for INT's). Phillips also leading the Broncos in sacks.

Not a bad deal for $1M. You have no clue what you're talking about.

And oh yeah, Vasquez is kickin' ass too.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 8,055

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

Phillips + $11,000,000 > Doom + fun

You could make that 7 instead of 11 and the equation still works. Doom is a good player, but not worth $12M and probably not worth $8 either. Phillips has played well and he (and the rest of the DL) should benefit from Von's return.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,032

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
It would be nice if we stopped using Wolfe as an edge rusher and let him attack the middle

That is something we have not seen this year that we had last year

Hopefully with Von back that changes
Totally agree.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I am of the camp that Doom's level of play since his torn pec has been pretty much equivalent to what Phillips is now providing. Doom feasted on poor quality Tackles and end of game sacks (when he didn't have to worry about any threat of the run). To my eyes - he completely disappeared for very long stretches at a time his last 2 years in Denver. The only thing he maybe did better than Phillips was the strip-sack (which, admittedly, is a big play). But - Phillips seems to be stronger against the run.

It will be interesting to keep tabs on the comparison as the year goes on, and particularly now that Phillips has Von on the other side to take away some attention (but maybe Von also steals some sacks by getting to the QB quicker).
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I will say that I miss the games where Von and Elvis were uninjured, fresh, and just scary. That was a fun defense to watch - when those two were meeting at the QB on almost every pass play.

I don't think Phillips will have that same dynamic, obviously.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,710
Default

I expect Von to create the confusion the defense needs to apply pressure Bronco fans are used to seeing. Von may not get the sack numbers himself, but Jackson, Phillips, Wolfe and Ayers will.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!
Dammit. Fixed
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #35
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Football Outsiders has us listed at 27th in Adjusted Sack Rate.

Which is mostly an adjustment for how many passing plays you defense (among some other minor things).

A flat sack count doesn't mean much if you're getting thrown at twice as often as other teams.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Phillips + $11,000,000 > Doom + fun + $5,000,000 dead cap money.
Makes a slight difference.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
It would be nice if we stopped using Wolfe as an edge rusher and let him attack the middle

That is something we have not seen this year that we had last year

Hopefully with Von back that changes
Yes, exactly my point.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #38
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Dammit. Fixed
Wait, there was something to fix?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
Football Outsiders has us listed at 27th in Adjusted Sack Rate.

Which is mostly an adjustment for how many passing plays you defense (among some other minor things).

A flat sack count doesn't mean much if you're getting thrown at twice as often as other teams.
Yeah, it's pretty clear just from watching them that getting pressure is the biggest issue on D. Throwing Von out there should right the ship though.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #40
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 23,133

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.
I agree. We gained something but also lost a huge amount in pressures and sacks. Let us see if Phillips gets a move on once Miller takes the field. That will be the biggest test for the defense.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
QB hurries? overall impact on the Defense..... should have paid the man - er faxgate
No, he shouldn't have ****ed around at Kinko's He was overpaid and his true value was shown on the market.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #42
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,032

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games.

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.

I haven't been paying attention to Dumervil. It seems like he's doing okay but not anything spectacular.
He had two pressures last game that caused deflections that directly led to interceptions. The Dallas sack was huge because it put them in a bind that led to that late interception.

We aren't paying him a ton of money. With Miller back it will continue to be a complimentary amount of pressure. I know fans' propensity to want players who leave their team to suck, but he's been doing exactly what we hoped out of someone at his salary and age.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #43
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games.

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.

I haven't been paying attention to Dumervil. It seems like he's doing okay but not anything spectacular.
Eh, it's hard to bang on the guy for doing what he's supposed to especially since if he didn't take advantage of situations you'd equally blast him for that.

It's just like teams winning against crappy teams and not getting credit...you can only play against who's on the schedule.

I suppose when Von comes back and Phillips can run a little more free, he won't get credit then either amirite?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post


Sorry buddy, your credibility on this issue is WAY out the window. Phillips HAS been an impact player with the Broncos. Just last week he had 3 tipped balls (2 of them for INT's). Phillips also leading the Broncos in sacks.

Not a bad deal for $1M. You have no clue what you're talking about.

And oh yeah, Vasquez is kickin' ass too.
Don't get me wrong, for the salary he's earning, it's a good deal. I've never said anything contrary to that since he signed with Denver.

He's always been good at deflecting passes. That's been one of his best traits throughout his entire career.

The point is that he tends to pad his stats against inferior opponents. I've already commented on his sacks and sacks are often a very misleading statistic.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #45
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Eh, it's hard to bang on the guy for doing what he's supposed to especially since if he didn't take advantage of situations you'd equally blast him for that.

It's just like teams winning against crappy teams and not getting credit...you can only play against who's on the schedule.

I suppose when Von comes back and Phillips can run a little more free, he won't get credit then either amirite?
For me, it's mostly just from eyeballing the games. The pass rush has looked nothing like it did in '11-12. And it's not just the lack of sacks, but how absolutely comfortable those pockets look 90% of the time.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #46
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 8,055

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Don't get me wrong, for the salary he's earning, it's a good deal. I've never said anything contrary to that since he signed with Denver.

He's always been good at deflecting passes. That's been one of his best traits throughout his entire career.

The point is that he tends to pad his stats against inferior opponents. I've already commented on his sacks and sacks are often a very misleading statistic.
Shouldn't everyone though? I mean, by definition, if you are better then you will have the stats and if you are worse, they're going to be the ones padding their stats. It's basic logic. We've also had this same complaint against Doom.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #47
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Eh, it's hard to bang on the guy for doing what he's supposed to especially since if he didn't take advantage of situations you'd equally blast him for that.

It's just like teams winning against crappy teams and not getting credit...you can only play against who's on the schedule.

I suppose when Von comes back and Phillips can run a little more free, he won't get credit then either amirite?
If Miller continues to beast, that will open it up for the other pass rushers for sure. Phillips was at his best here when teams had to focus on Merriman.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #48
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Shouldn't everyone though? I mean, by definition, if you are better then you will have the stats and if you are worse, they're going to be the ones padding their stats. It's basic logic. We've also had this same complaint against Doom.
One would think huh?

Instead people use it to suit their arguments, and if anyone or a team struggles against an inferior opponent then they use that.

We should be playing the Patriots every week or the season means nothing.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Shouldn't everyone though? I mean, by definition, if you are better then you will have the stats and if you are worse, they're going to be the ones padding their stats. It's basic logic. We've also had this same complaint against Doom.
Sure, everyone does it, Pass rushers, QBs, running backs.

That's why it's important for players to perform well in clutch situations against the best competition. I know Denver has played a weak schedule so far but if people going to be touting his sack numbers, I think you have to take a closer look at how he got them.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
If Miller continues to beast, that will open it up for the other pass rushers for sure. Phillips was at his best here when teams had to focus on Merriman.
Oh I agree with you fully, but that is what being part of a team is. The same can and will be said for the front 4 once Von gets back also. I am just saying, that shouldn't discredit Phillips nor should he have some magical asterisk for playing against weaker players.

Now, a guy like Kruger...if we were talking about that sort of difference in play from one team to another you would have a point. He CLEARLY benefited from his surrounding cast from the results so far.

I just think you are too biased to be fair here, he's not Doom by any stretch but he's playing very well.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Denver Broncos