The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #151
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Probably with a lot of folks on here. I didnt share my thoughts on the subject becuase i thought they would be popular. Insesitive? How about everytime i log on this board im insulted or verbally abused. Yeah perspective you wantto be shown respect but you wont give any.ok seems about right

!. Clearly you do not know me very well.
2. You are being mocked because your opinion is so far out there. What you essentially said was that groups that had been brutalized in the past deserved the brutalization. Which is akin to you saying rape victims deserved it.
3. I can tolerate most opinions, even if I think they are complete and utter bull****. Do not whine because people correctly mock you.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #152
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Find the respect you showed for the Native American people, and we can have this discussion. Til then, you'll get the respect YOU show others, which is absolutely none.

You're stupid as ****. You should probably start accepting that fact.
bro, youre captin ****head. I dont need anything from you. I know your posting style.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #153
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
right or wrong the jews knew what was gonna go down with hitler and had opportunities to leave. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...zi_Germany.htm. your revisionist history fails
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #154
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
!. Clearly you do not know me very well.
2. You are being mocked because your opinion is so far out there. What you essentially said was that groups that had been brutalized in the past deserved the brutalization. Which is akin to you saying rape victims deserved it.
3. I can tolerate most opinions, even if I think they are complete and utter bull****. Do not whine because people correctly mock you.

this will be my last post in this thread. Thiis should have been posted in here in the first place. I rarely come to the the political threads. If you want to carry on pm me

Me
**** decker dropped a pass.
Poster
Hey ****off moron decker signed my wifes jersey.
Typical of the mane.

Again i dont need anyones support or respect. But if you want people to respect YOU OR YOUR BELIEFS. You had better ****ing give it. Dont like my opionon? Ignore it or reasonably make a claim to dispute it. Calling me a ****ing moron makes you what you are calling me
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #155
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
Say 'what' again, I dare you

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post


Redtails, Renegades, Hogs or Warriors is fine, but this uniform rocks.
I like the Warriors but not the military logo. I get the "support our troops" angle, but the mustard looking helmet makes him look like a construction worker. Besides, it needs more feathers.

Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #156
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

"The word Redskin was taught to me at a very young age, and this is the meaning it has for me.

"I am a Native American. I grew up on an Indian reservation. As a child, the United States Government and the Catholic Church came into our homes, took us away from our families, and forced us into Catholic boarding schools. There was no choice to be had in this matter, you had to go. The Catholic Church with the blessings of the United States Government took it upon themselves to determine that we were savages, and needed to be transformed to fit into their society.

"When my hair was cut short by the priests, I was called a "redskin" and a savage. When I spoke my native tongue, I was beaten and called "redskin". When I tried to follow the spiritual path of my people, I was again beaten and called a "redskin". I was told by them to turn my back on the ways of my people, or I would forever be nothing but a dirty "redskin".

"The only way "redskin" was ever used towards my people and myself was in a derogatory manner. It was never, ever, used in a show of respect or kindness. It was only used to let you know that you were dirty and no good, and to this day still is.

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans."

-- Clem Ironwing, Sioux
http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/articles/redskin.htm
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #157
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,574

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
"The word Redskin was taught to me at a very young age, and this is the meaning it has for me.

"I am a Native American. I grew up on an Indian reservation. As a child, the United States Government and the Catholic Church came into our homes, took us away from our families, and forced us into Catholic boarding schools. There was no choice to be had in this matter, you had to go. The Catholic Church with the blessings of the United States Government took it upon themselves to determine that we were savages, and needed to be transformed to fit into their society.

"When my hair was cut short by the priests, I was called a "redskin" and a savage. When I spoke my native tongue, I was beaten and called "redskin". When I tried to follow the spiritual path of my people, I was again beaten and called a "redskin". I was told by them to turn my back on the ways of my people, or I would forever be nothing but a dirty "redskin".

"The only way "redskin" was ever used towards my people and myself was in a derogatory manner. It was never, ever, used in a show of respect or kindness. It was only used to let you know that you were dirty and no good, and to this day still is.

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans."

-- Clem Ironwing, Sioux
http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/articles/redskin.htm
Indian's basically a pejorative too. Where does this end?

I'm sure there are a few Irish people that resent being represented by a drunk scrappy leprechaun too.

Ok, none that I know, but they've gotta be out there.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #158
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

I can't wait to hear more white male's opinions on what should and shouldn't be offensive.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #159
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I can't wait to hear more white male's opinions on what should and shouldn't be offensive.
Yep our race and gender make our opinions invalid
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #160
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,527

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I can't wait to hear more white male's opinions on what should and shouldn't be offensive.
90% of Indians said in a poll that they want the name to stay.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #161
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Duh Washington Republicans. They either win or refuse to play the 4th quarter.
More like every time they fumble the ball away to the other team and the other team scores a touchdown with it they demand that the play be reversed and the ball given back to them just because they don't like the score.

But seriously I think the Redskin fanbase should decide. Have the folks who are so offended by the name make their case to the fans and if they don't turn the tide of opinion in their favor the name stays.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #162
JimmyFocus
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
90% of Indians said in a poll that they want the name to stay.
you keep saying this like it is fact. fact is you are wrong... here is the link....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-redskins-name

This was NOT Native Americans that were polled.
JimmyFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #163
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,960

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

OTM lost his marbles.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #164
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Yep our race and gender make our opinions invalid
Oh please, your opinions come from a position of power.

Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #165
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Keep the name but let indians open up a sportsbook at the stadium.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #166
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
!. Clearly you do not know me very well.
2. You are being mocked because your opinion is so far out there. What you essentially said was that groups that had been brutalized in the past deserved the brutalization. Which is akin to you saying rape victims deserved it.
3. I can tolerate most opinions, even if I think they are complete and utter bull****. Do not whine because people correctly mock you.

Co-signed.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #167
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default

The Washington franchise is failing to recognize an extraordinary marketing opportunity. Selling all new gear to all of your fanbase is not a small amount of money. Why don't they see this?

How about the Obstructionists? With a caricature of a fat senator with a cigar?
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #168
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Washington Terrorists
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #169
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,527

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFocus View Post
you keep saying this like it is fact. fact is you are wrong... here is the link....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-redskins-name

This was NOT Native Americans that were polled.
First, your link says 80% think the name should stay so I am not sure where you want to go with your argument. 2nd, I already provided a link in an earlier post that I guess you skipped. Here it is for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...ins-is-a-slur/

http://nation.time.com/2013/10/08/na...ss-conference/


Let me know when the last time anyone has used the word "Redskin" as a derogatory name. Only thing that lives from the word Redskin is a football team name and nothing else.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #170
JimmyFocus
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
First, your link says 80% think the name should stay so I am not sure where you want to go with your argument. 2nd, I already provided a link in an earlier post that I guess you skipped. Here it is for you...
Ok. fair enough I didn't see that. but im sure you also read this.

"Because they make up a very small proportion of the total population, the responses of 768 people who said they were Indians or Native Americans were collected over a very long period of polling, from October 7, 2003 through September 20, 2004".

So its a poll from people you SAID they were native American and only 768 at that. the whole article from the first link is just plain lie after lie. My wife has heard the slur called to her quite a few times. Its pretty simple really. Just because you haven't heard it doesnt mean it isn't a slur.
JimmyFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #171
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

There are really two questions here:

Is the name Redskins a racial slur and do you think the name Redskins should be changed?

The answer to the first is yes, Iím a Native American and I can tell you if anyone wants to walk up and call me a Redskin they will be missing some teeth.

As to the answer to the second question, I really donít care if they change it or not. I played football and one of our rival teams was the Savages and I never gave it a second thought.

So I got your poll right here in my BVDís, the name Redskins is a racial slur plain and simple so STFU.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #172
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
Say 'what' again, I dare you

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Is the name Redskins a racial slur and do you think the name Redskins should be changed?
The answer to the first question is yes.

The answer to second question should be yes, but it depends from a business point of view. They could care less about offending the small % of Native Americans that have always been offended. As the % has grown to include other minorities and sympathetic whites, it becomes a marketing decision between tradition and not turning off new fans. The government shouldn't get involved though. They never outlawed blackface. It just lost popularity. Native American mascots may be just as ridiculous in 60 years.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #173
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
right or wrong the jews knew what was gonna go down with hitler and had opportunities to leave. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...zi_Germany.htm. your revisionist history fails
Wow.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #174
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
The answer to the first question is yes.

The answer to second question should be yes, but it depends from a business point of view. They could care less about offending the small % of Native Americans that have always been offended. As the % has grown to include other minorities and sympathetic whites, it becomes a marketing decision between tradition and not turning off new fans. The government shouldn't get involved though. They never outlawed blackface. It just lost popularity. Native American mascots may be just as ridiculous in 60 years.
The name Redskins in itself symbolizes an ugly chapter in our nation's history but it also seems to be a chaper in our history that many whites feel comfortable with and expressed by some of the comments in this thread and this a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Dont change the name. Im not sorry my fore fathers came to this land and settled it. Fighting over lands wasnt foriegn to the natiives of this, country we just did it better. How many other nations give those they took land from reservations? Not to mention a check. Call me racist, im not sorry.
Even the history books still say "the white men were massacred but on the other hand "the Indians were removed".
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #175
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Washington Terrorists
An apt moniker for the tea party lunatics you support.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Denver Broncos