The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #101
mennonite
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm surprised they haven't set it so that every team plays one game in London per year. That way American fans share the screwing equally and the London "fan base" gets a full 16 game season.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #102
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
if the rest of the world was interested then they'd have their kid's playing American football right?

This is just simple logic. It is a 1 to 1 correlation. Did you play American Football as a kid in the UK? If not, did you have the opportunity to play it as a kid? Are their coaches in the UK who know how to coach American Football and are actively putting teams together like a pee-wee league or something?

If you answered yes to these questions then yes, I think NFL football can be successful in the UK.

IIRC American football was started by US colleges and then worked it's way into high schools and then younger kids leagues and whatnot. However, it was started as a youth sport and then eventually the NFL got rolling. I'm not so sure you can put and NFL team in London or any where in Europe and all of a sudden expect the infrastructure for kids to play the game to pop up.

You gotta have a culture of American Football ingrained into the overall culture of the country in which you are expecting the game to succeed at a professional level IMHO.

I think this argument is totally false. Lost of kids play soccer and they grown up not caring much for it. Everyone of my four brothers and sisters played youth soccer. None of us care.

I don't believe that Europe needs to have their youth in football practice to enjoy football. For crying out loud most fans didn't play and neither have their kids but they love it.

I also don't agree that a city can't root for a team unless there is existing interest in that sport. Colorado has embraced the Avalanche when they arrived and before that most locals didn't give a crap about pro hockey. And before you play the "DU and Colorado College" card, even fewer still care about college hockey but a lot of fans support the Avs.

And to speak to chrisp's point, I would not mind at all if there was a Euro league or something like that. My problem is when you take away home games from teams to go play in another city. If the NFL could find a way to feasibly put a team in London and have them play with the rest of the NFL, I think that would be the "best" solution. And I would love if more people around the world enjoyed football. My disdain for this specifically is that teams have to surrender a home game. That really sucks.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #103
mennonite
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The rules for NFL football must be a complete mind-**** for people who are new to the sport. Look at how many American fans who have been watching the sport their entire lives get confused by the massive rule book. Hell, the refs make blunders every week.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #104
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Not even close, basketball is a niche sport at best. In Southern Europe it is still behind cycling, handball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf and track and field. Basketball in Europe is a much smaller sport than soccer or tennis is in America.
Excellent point and true.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #105
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
So fans who pay for season tickets to watch a franchise that has sucked for more than a decade are "fair weather" fans?

****ty team + crappy economy + an oversized stadium = tarps. If you are a Jags fan and still pay full price to watch them after all these years of suck, you are a true fan. Unlike Oakland "fans" who are clearly just looking for a place to hide from their parole officer on Sundays.
When they were good they were not selling out games. They have always been that way.

I'm sure some season ticket holders are glad they don't have to pay for another game.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #106
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
The map is what games have already been played. I thought there were more than one game in Japan. I believe that was the American Bowl Denver vs Rams. I got that poster framed. Might have been the first game outside North America.
All I know is that it was posted with the caption, "What the NFL could look like in 2020."
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #107
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Not even close, basketball is a niche sport at best. In Southern Europe it is still behind cycling, handball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf and track and field. Basketball in Europe is a much smaller sport than soccer or tennis is in America.
That wasn't my experience living in the Netherlands. People loved some hoops out there.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote