The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Bye Week #1

Quote:
Demaryius Smash

The Broncos LOVE Demaryius Thomas down the left sideline. Manningís stat line targeting him outside of the left hash is 12-for-13 for 232 yards and a touchdown. Compound that with abysmal safety play over the top?

Good luck, Alan Ball.

While that remains my favorite match-up, these Jaguars simply donít have the speed or talent to match-up with any of the Broncos skill positions.
Rest at: http://patrickturley.org/bye-week-1/
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I just did some research on historic upsets trying to find a trend. While there are examples, most are on the road there are too many elements at play where Denver should run away with this thing. Even if the Jags started the game up 14 ala the Pokes last week, I'd still believe the game would be over by the third quarter. Their missing their tackles. Mercedes Lewis is out, so you can put Irving in there to be the thumper if Woodyard can't go. Our secondary will give them problems and they punt a lot which means Holiday will get chances and Prater is kicking at altitude.

If the above was all we had, we'd probably win. But then we have Manning et al. It's over.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I just did some research on historic upsets trying to find a trend. While there are examples, most are on the road there are too many elements at play where Denver should run away with this thing. Even if the Jags started the game up 14 ala the Pokes last week, I'd still believe the game would be over by the third quarter. Their missing their tackles. Mercedes Lewis is out, so you can put Irving in there to be the thumper if Woodyard can't go. Our secondary will give them problems and they punt a lot which means Holiday will get chances and Prater is kicking at altitude.

If the above was all we had, we'd probably win. But then we have Manning et al. It's over.
If it wasn't at home I might worry a bit. Historically the way to lose these games (and it doesn't happen often) is to turn the ball over..a lot.

We had two fumbles last week (everyone seems to have simply forgotten that Knowshon put one on the ground). Manning does have a history with blow-up games were he'll throw 2 or 3 interceptions as well. If either one of those happens, this is a loseable game.

Even then..if everything goes wrong.. I just don't think the Jags offense can get out of its own way to take advantage. I just can't see a situation in which we lose.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

I added this segment after reading your post to address trap potential:

Quote:
Trap Game?

I hated the Jaguars for over a decade after the 1996 playoff upset. Imagine how Elway feels.

I still hate my last employer and I wasn't even fired let alone had an entire community turn on me and walk me to the door. Imagine how Del Rio feels.

I still want to bury my old rivals. Imagine how Peyton Manning (a guy who had minimal qualms about hanging 41 points on his brother) feels.

Last edited by TheReverend; 10-11-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
If it wasn't at home I might worry a bit. Historically the way to lose these games (and it doesn't happen often) is to turn the ball over..a lot.

We had two fumbles last week (everyone seems to have simply forgotten that Knowshon put one on the ground). Manning does have a history with blow-up games were he'll throw 2 or 3 interceptions as well. If either one of those happens, this is a loseable game.

Even then..if everything goes wrong.. I just don't think the Jags offense can get out of its own way to take advantage. I just can't see a situation in which we lose.
When you recover your own fumble it's not a turnover.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
When you recover your own fumble it's not a turnover.
Didn't say it was.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I added this segment after reading your post to address trap potential:
I don't think Manning has any more desire to bury the Jags as them being an old rival than any other opponent. I think he takes every game 100% seriously regardless. Which really goes toward your original point in that Manning isn't looking past anyone.

The rest of your points hold, though. Del Rio will probably want to send a statement.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I don't think Manning has any more desire to bury the Jags as them being an old rival than any other opponent. I think he takes every game 100% seriously regardless. Which really goes toward your original point in that Manning isn't looking past anyone.

The rest of your points hold, though. Del Rio will probably want to send a statement.
Interesting post. Argues one aspect but in doing so essentially comes full circle. I applaud you.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just hate the idea of anyone on our team taking a game off. It's really the type of let down that could hurt us the rest of the season. I hope they approach this game with the same focus and intensity as any other.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

From the Chive
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post

From the Chive
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Really think he didn't immediately have that upcoming game at Indy circled on the calendar the minute the schedule was released? If he really takes every game 100% seriously, he'll find a way to become superhuman for that one and up the ante to 150% serious.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Really think he didn't immediately have that upcoming game at Indy circled on the calendar the minute the schedule was released? If he really takes every game 100% seriously, he'll find a way to become superhuman for that one and up the ante to 150% serious.
It's funny you bring that up. The morning radio program here was saying they were worried the tribute was going to make Manning want to pull his punches against the Colts.

I feel like it's the total opposite. You want to play your best against your former team and former fans. You don't want to get honored and then go out and there suck it up.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

This just isn't a good game..

1. We don't win by at least 30 and it's not going to feel at all satisfying.
2. One of our key players gets hurt and can't go next week (or beyond), it's going to feel like a practice injury, and oh yeah by the way limit us against the colts to whatever extent.
3. We play a team with that little talent, at home, and I think going into Indianapolis the following week there is going to be a little bit of shell shock. On the road, packed house, and they are looking to (try and) crush us. Of coPurse you could argue the opposite, that there will be no emotional hangover after playing a hapless team.

We need to approach this like dominant college teams approach their first couple of games against D2 (fcs now?) schools. Demoralize them early, put it out of reach, and rest your guys. Basically, treat it like preseason game 2.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Didn't say it was.
You correctly stated that turnovers are the great equalizer, but then used Moreno's fumble as part of your argument. By definition that was not a turnover.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
You correctly stated that turnovers are the great equalizer, but then used Moreno's fumble as part of your argument. By definition that was not a turnover.
I concur - this is like saying "Republicans are shutting down the gov't" while refusing to negotiate a compromise

oops, turned this thread political accidently
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Only way I see even a possibility of a close game is if Manning gets hurt. Even then...
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post

From the Chive
Stolen and added to opener
Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Only way I see even a possibility of a close game is if Manning gets hurt. Even then...
It's worth noting Babin has giving QBs cheap shots all season.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Oh No you didn't
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Interesting post. Argues one aspect but in doing so essentially comes full circle. I applaud you.
Yes, he should go far.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this is the very first time I could really say Any Given Sunday doesn't apply. It just can't happen. Period.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Oh No you didn't
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote