The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #76
Beej
Seasoned Veteran

I like Redtails, cuz they get spanked a lot.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #77
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I can see both sides of this. I've never personally had a problem with the name. Growing-up I never even considered it racist. I've read in a survey taken back in 2004 that 90% of Native Americans polled have no issue with the name 'Redskins'. My wife who is a card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation would fit into that group as well. However, would anyone on this board ever feel comfortable walking into a bar on a reservation and calling out everyone in the room as a bunch of Redskins?
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
I can see both sides of this. I've never personally had a problem with the name. Growing-up I never even considered it racist. I've read in a survey taken back in 2004 that 90% of Native Americans polled have no issue with the name 'Redskins'. My wife who is a card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation would fit into that group as well. However, would anyone on this board ever feel comfortable walking into a bar on a reservation and calling out everyone in the room as a bunch of Redskins?
Would anyone feel comfortable going into an Indian bar and calling them a bunch of fags? Anything coming out of your mouth in that way would get your ass kicked.

Seriously, when was the last time anyone heard someone call an Indian a "Redskin" in a deragatory way? It is only used as a football team name. Every other detail of Redskin is gone.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #79
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Would anyone feel comfortable going into an Indian bar and calling them a bunch of fags? Anything coming out of your mouth in that way would get your ass kicked.

Seriously, when was the last time anyone heard someone call an Indian a "Redskin" in a deragatory way? It is only used as a football team name. Every other detail of Redskin is gone.
That was my point though, most people, myself and clearly you as well wouldn't feel comfortable doing it because you'd get your ass kicked. What does that say about the name itself then?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
That was my point though, most people, myself and clearly you as well wouldn't feel comfortable doing it because you'd get your ass kicked. What does that say about the name itself then?
I highly doubt you would get your ass kicked for discussing the Washington Redskins though.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #81
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I highly doubt you would get your ass kicked for discussing the Washington Redskins though.
I would agree with that. I'm just on the fence on this one. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. It's up to Synder whether the name will change or not, as it should be.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #82
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
There is no equal to redtail and redskin. Yes, redtails were an all black unit, but, to my knowledge, their decision to paint their tails red had nothing to do with their race specifically. Plus, the redtails are a group that should be celebrated! They are war heroes.

I don't get why there's such ANGER by some toward changing the name. We're still a deeply racist society, and if we're making movements towards some kind of post-racial existence, then these types of things should happen. Not every tradition is good.

And if you bring up the "some native american high schools have the name" argument, its because they've taken ownership of it and decided to do that themselves. Its not like predominantly white highschools are keeping a redskin name. Its just not the same.
I do not believe we are a deeply racist society. I think we are a society abnormally hung up on race. We refuse to have open debates on the topic, and if someone tries they are labeled racist if they have an opinion that deviates from what is deemed politically correct.

I have no problem with a native american group calling themselves whatever the hell they want. I wouldnt care if a predominantly white highschool does the same. A team calling themselves Braves or Chiefs or Indians or using specific tribal names should not be even in the thought process as racism. It's part of our history, isnt it?

Redskin, however is racist. It did not start out that way, but that is what it morphed into. The team name should change, but truthfully I dont care if they change it or not. It's not my team, I'm not a fan of theirs so I could care less.

And I was not comparing Redtails/Redskins because of the use of the word Red. Both specify a group based on race. If you are talking redskins, it is a reference to American Indians. Redtails is a reference to black fighter pilots. It's the same thing, even if one is positive and the other is not. That is what I was referring to.

We need to stop whitewashing (raycis!!!) our past, and it seems to go to two extremes. Either we erase all traces of race and sterilize the discussion, or inject modern takes into historical paradigms and judge it on modern morals. History does not work that way, and when you do that to history you open up the danger for the real evils of racial and religious conflict to happen again.

So again I reiterate...Washington should go with Warriors if they want to avoid offending anyone. Or ManBearPigs.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #83
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
If you walked into a trailer park barred and yelled out "Hey rednecks" they'd probably all cheer loudly... but would they do so if it were a black person?

Personally, I don't give a **** what people call me. Of course I am white and male, so I don't really have any oppressed history.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #84
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
No, that is not the point. My rebuttal was to go into a bar all angry and say anything. No one ever yells, "Redskin" but if you go in all pissed off, of course they will be taking it in a derogatory way. Go in there and call the Indians "Mongals" or make up a word and yell "Damn Daboodles" and see what happens. Probably the same thing.

If this wasn't an issue right now (and really it isn't except media picks up on the small minority), most wouldn't know about the word except it is a football team name.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #85
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
So again I reiterate...Washington should go with Warriors if they want to avoid offending anyone. Or ManBearPigs.

Sorry but the peaceniks will be offended.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #86
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I like the name redtails, it could go to anything too. Like a fox or a hawk or a fighter plane. They're all pretty cool "predators". Of course, I think there are way too many bird logos in the NFL, with the Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, Ravens, Cardinals...

Rick Reily wrote a decent piece recently about not changing the name, and the main thing I agree with him on is that it shouldn't be "white" people who are upset over the use of the name and that appears to be the main backers of a change of the name. Seems like more Native Americans have more issue with chiefs fans dressing up and the tomahawk chop.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...ot-easy-sounds

I hate chiefs fans.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #87
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I can't believe people STILL care enough for this topic to go for multiple pages.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #88
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I like the name redtails, it could go to anything too. Like a fox or a hawk or a fighter plane. They're all pretty cool "predators". Of course, I think there are way too many bird logos in the NFL, with the Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, Ravens, Cardinals...

Rick Reily wrote a decent piece recently about not changing the name, and the main thing I agree with him on is that it shouldn't be "white" people who are upset over the use of the name and that appears to be the main backers of a change of the name. Seems like more Native Americans have more issue with chiefs fans dressing up and the tomahawk chop.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...ot-easy-sounds

I hate chiefs fans.

The Eagles-Chiefs game in Philly was interesting. They kept going to a Chiefs bar in Philly, and those drunken a-holes were doing the warchant and tomahawk chop...nothing screams racism like white people going woowoowoo and chopping their arms in the air.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #89
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I can't believe people STILL care enough for this topic to go for multiple pages.

This is the Mane. We all care just enough to get the final word in.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #90
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
The Eagles-Chiefs game in Philly was interesting. They kept going to a Chiefs bar in Philly, and those drunken a-holes were doing the warchant and tomahawk chop...nothing screams racism like white people going woowoowoo and chopping their arms in the air.

Yeah, thats bad. I know most people don't seem to care, but their butchering of the national anthem drives me bonkers as well. Also, if you ever go to a KC Broncos game and the Broncos lose, expect their fans to be even bigger pricks than normal. They are the sourest bunch of winners I have ever seen in any situation. They'll throw full beer cans at you in the praking lots, hee-haw at you , flash their weiners at you (happened to me multiple times and makes no ****ing sense), and generally attempt to be the biggest bag of turds we could possibly have in this country.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #91
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
This is the Mane. We all care just enough to get the final word in.

Guilty as charged.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #92
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

It's silly to pretend that "Redskins" is not a racist term.

As silly as arguing that universal healthcare is a bad thing.
BowlenBall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #93
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
I got one. BTW, 90% of Indians don't want the name changed. Who in the **** uses the name/slur "Redskins" to describe an Indian?"
Link?
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #94
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
I do not believe we are a deeply racist society. I think we are a society abnormally hung up on race. We refuse to have open debates on the topic, and if someone tries they are labeled racist if they have an opinion that deviates from what is deemed politically correct.

I have no problem with a native american group calling themselves whatever the hell they want. I wouldnt care if a predominantly white highschool does the same. A team calling themselves Braves or Chiefs or Indians or using specific tribal names should not be even in the thought process as racism. It's part of our history, isnt it?

Redskin, however is racist. It did not start out that way, but that is what it morphed into. The team name should change, but truthfully I dont care if they change it or not. It's not my team, I'm not a fan of theirs so I could care less.

And I was not comparing Redtails/Redskins because of the use of the word Red. Both specify a group based on race. If you are talking redskins, it is a reference to American Indians. Redtails is a reference to black fighter pilots. It's the same thing, even if one is positive and the other is not. That is what I was referring to.

We need to stop whitewashing (raycis!!!) our past, and it seems to go to two extremes. Either we erase all traces of race and sterilize the discussion, or inject modern takes into historical paradigms and judge it on modern morals. History does not work that way, and when you do that to history you open up the danger for the real evils of racial and religious conflict to happen again.

I like Warriors or Renegades and they have some cool logos and would sell a ton of merchandise!
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #95
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
No, that is not the point. My rebuttal was to go into a bar all angry and say anything. No one ever yells, "Redskin" but if you go in all pissed off, of course they will be taking it in a derogatory way. Go in there and call the Indians "Mongals" or make up a word and yell "Damn Daboodles" and see what happens. Probably the same thing.

If this wasn't an issue right now (and really it isn't except media picks up on the small minority), most wouldn't know about the word except it is a football team name.
Who says anything about acting angry? The name is a label, one that can be construed (whether you personally think so or not) as a racist one. That said, you wouldn't feel comfortable walking into a bar or approaching someone on the street and calling them that name good natured, angry, or otherwise.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #96
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

We can agree to disagree on our thoughts on the level of racism within our society. As compared to 100 years ago, society has obviously taken great strides, but we're far from a post racial society that some suggest. I, do, however, think the natural progression of acceptance from generation to generation will get us there eventually (even if eventually is a thousand years from now).

I do wonder if there would be any pushback to redtails. I personally don't have a problem with names like Chiefs, Braves, even indians (though chief wahoo really ought to go), and I think Redtails would be even a step beyond that because its celebrating a group of war heroes that overcame prejudice, though I understand Redtails is still viewed through the prism of race. I dont think it would be controversial though.

I think the name Warriors sucks. It reeks of "we cant think of anything else"
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #97
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
How about the Washington Go****Yourselves?

this bull**** about a name change on a team that has been around something like 75 years is stupid. these politically correct people need to shut the **** up and complain about something else. And ****tard Obama can go **** himself too. I am sure there are a lot more pressing needs that need his attention but he is flapping his mouth about the Redskins.
ooooorrrrrrr you could just be a dumb ass.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #98
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I sincerely hope that they tell the idiots demanding a name change to go **** themselves.
The Washington Redskins are as synonymous with their name as the Lakers,Yankees,Red Wings,Steelers. You don't **** with that type of tradition.
Wrong is wrong, no matter how long it's been around. All that means is it's been wrong for a very long time. If the group that represents Native Americans don't like it, maybe, just maybe, it's wrong.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #99
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
We can agree to disagree on our thoughts on the level of racism within our society. As compared to 100 years ago, society has obviously taken great strides, but we're far from a post racial society that some suggest. I, do, however, think the natural progression of acceptance from generation to generation will get us there eventually (even if eventually is a thousand years from now).

I do wonder if there would be any pushback to redtails. I personally don't have a problem with names like Chiefs, Braves, even indians (though chief wahoo really ought to go), and I think Redtails would be even a step beyond that because its celebrating a group of war heroes that overcame prejudice, though I understand Redtails is still viewed through the prism of race. I dont think it would be controversial though.

I think the name Warriors sucks. It reeks of "we cant think of anything else"
It's Washington DC, man. They cant think of anything else.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #100
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:

I do wonder if there would be any pushback to redtails.
Red Tails sounds stupid. Go Red Tails!!!! woohoooooo, nope. I would hate that if I was a redskin fan.

Warriors is played out.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote