The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > OrangeMane.com Podcast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default OrangeMane Podcast - Episode 36 - @ Dallas

Download Episode 36 - @ Dallas
(right click - save as)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Daughter was sick last night, so instead of rewatching some key parts of the game I had to lay down with her until she fell asleep. It manifests itself in some rants that kind of peter out aimlessly.

Also, Taco foolishly yanked an amazing new segment from this week's episode (we should have yanked the Jacksonville segment), where I have time to start taking the appropriate credit for all my gloriously spot on predictions.

In its stead, some highlights from this week:

Quote:
Recall the Brent Celek example and expect a big day from Julius Thomas as Peyton abuses the seam and the side line (both deep and between the corner and safety). While I expect Dallas to pose the greatest threat Denver has faced this season, there are no breaks on the rape train.
Quote:
How could Chris Clark possibly match-up with one of the best pass rushers there has ever been in Demarcus Ware? By minimizing the job. Per Profootballfocus.com, 23 of 34 pass attempts were released in 2.5 seconds or less. A dizzying rate and a near impossible task for a defender to read pass, beat his man, close and sack the QB. The other eleven attempts are likely to all be by design–longer step drops, more elaborate developing routes–and assisted with a tight end or back.
Quote:
I think Seattle's streak will come to an end at Indy and like Baltimore to get their feet back underneath them at Miami.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Thanks and great podcast guys.

Though I have to wonder what game was Mike (Socal)? watching when he talks about no pressure?

For the entirety of the 2nd half we were without our best pass rusher (Ayers), our best blizing LBer in Woodyard, and Harris.

What kind of pressure were you expecting from Adrian Robinson playing at RDE?

In the first half when we had those guys healthy, we were sacking Romo and forced him out of the pocket numerous times.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Thanks again for doing this, fellas. I'll be giving this a listen this afternoon.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Persnickety!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Though I have to wonder what game was Mike (Socal)? watching when he talks about no pressure?

For the entirety of the 2nd half we were without our best pass rusher (Ayers), our best blizing LBer in Woodyard, and Harris.

What kind of pressure were you expecting from Adrian Robinson playing at RDE?

In the first half when we had those guys healthy, we were sacking Romo and forced him out of the pocket numerous times.
Not to mention plays where we get hands on Romo THREE TIMES but he escapes and hits a 30+ yard pass to move the chains.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not to mention plays where we get hands on Romo THREE TIMES but he escapes and hits a 30+ yard pass to move the chains.
Just think if Von Miller chases Romo down just twice. 2 sacks that force two punts and gives the ball back to Manning. You're looking at 10-14 more points minimum.

Would have been great to watch Miller on that carpet chase down Romo.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Yeah, we're not going to feature that 2nd half defense again this season that gave up 28 point in one half consisting of Irving at Mike, Robinson at DE, Bolden at slot and Carter on one side with zone coverage concepts with players that just aren't used to.

Week 7 against Indy is going to be the true test of this defense because we'll have all our guys back (barring any further unexpected setbacks) against a strong run oriented OL with Richardson/Brown featuring an elite QB that can really spread that ball around.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-09-2013 at 06:13 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

I just turned it on and the first thing I hear is Archer81 and Kaylore talking about chaps. craziness. But I am excited to hear the rest now. Thanks for a great gift on my travel day.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Just think if Von Miller chases Romo down just twice. 2 sacks that force two punts and gives the ball back to Manning. You're looking at 10-14 more points minimum.

Would have been great to watch Miller on that carpet chase down Romo.
Yeah, one of the things I emphasized in the podcast was that players were in position to make a lot more game-changing plays and didn't finish.

Von and Champ are both finishers.

Quote:
Yeah, we're not going to feature that 2nd half defense again this season that gave up 28 point in one half consisting of Irving at Mike, Robinson at DE, Bolden at slot and Carter on one side with zone coverage concepts with players that just aren't used to.

Week 7 against Indy is going to be the true test of this defense because we'll have all our guys back (barring any further unexpected setbacks) against a strong run oriented OL with Richardson/Brown featuring an elite QB that can really spread that ball around.
Killer post as usual, fontaine.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I put together some screen shots of the Cowboys biggest plays so we can take a closer look at what went wrong (sorry for the quality, couldn't find any HD replay through NFL ticket immediately this morning):

Early TD:

^ big fast pressure, Romo off backfoot throws after 4 seconds (the first 2 developing play action) for a score

^ early big 3rd and 10, pocket crushed and multiple Broncos close on Romo

^ Bronco fans breathe a sigh of relief as this drive is about to come to a close

^ despite the ridiculous pressure, first sack eluded

^ now Wolfe can't bring him down for a second sack eluded

^ here's Romo staring down the shot from the 3rd Bronco to make contact with him and delivering a ridiculous 3rd down strike

Meanwhile on the OM: "We're not getting pressure!"

Here's the big 82 yard pass play in the pocket:

^ another rapidly collapsing pocket

^ Here's the other end of that ball. Tony Carter in perfect position and smartly high-pointing the ball... misses, had no safety help and it's an 82 yard TD score.

^ Huge pass to Dez, 2 seconds in, pocket already collapsing. Throw is out at 3 secs--ridiculously fast for a 7 step drop

In a game where the goal is to hit and hurry the QB and get him off center, that was absolutely accomplished in spades. The plays were there, but the Cowboys finished on offense and the Broncos did not on defense.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like how at the beginning it sounds like Taco is on microphone in a super market.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like how at the beginning it sounds like Taco is on microphone in a super market.
He's not? I always thought he was an illegal working as a grocery bagger....
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Good podcast, per the usual.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I put together some screen shots of the Cowboys biggest plays so we can take a closer look at what went wrong (sorry for the quality, couldn't find any HD replay through NFL ticket immediately this morning):

Early TD:

^ big fast pressure, Romo off backfoot throws after 4 seconds (the first 2 developing play action) for a score
Sorry that was not pressure on that play. Romo had a full 4 seconds to throw and the Broncos sent 6. Bryant had enough time to run from one side of the field to the other and Romo was able to throw a good touch pass. I'm 5 pass plays in on the rewatch and there has yet to be any pressure on Romo and he has had a minimum of 4 seconds when he didn't throw in timing at the back of his drop.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Fan reaction:

QB completes pass - "We have no pressure!"
QB doesn't complete pass - "Our pressure caused that throw!"
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Socal is seeing what a lot of people are seeing. I went ahead and watched the first half and noted down Romo's time. He had 22 passes and only 6 pressures. Out of those 6 pressures only 1 was under 3 seconds(Jackson sack) and the other 2 sacks were 5 seconds or longer. Here is what I wrote down.

Romo's 1st pass-6 seconds in the pocket, no pressure big 25 yard gain.

2. 3 seconds hits first read for 14.

3. 4 seconds 10 yard gain.

4. 3 seconds and out for 10.

5. The Dez Bryant TD Romo had plenty of time to sit back and wait for 4 seconds while Bryant ran accross the field. He threw a nice touch pass to Dez. Broncos blitzed 6 on the play and they all got stoned.

6. First pressure of the game on a PA bootleg by Vickerson. Romo took off running forward and Escobar dropped a shuffle pass.

7. 3 seconds in the pocket and Phillips made a lunging attempt which Romo side stepped and sat for 2 more seconds before tossing incomplete pass which was really dropped.

8. Second pressure of the game by Wolfe. He gets pressure here(even though held like crazy) and Romo scrambles around breaks 2 tackles makes a pass to Witten.

9. 4 seconds screen set up for short gain.

10. Denver Blitzed which doesn't get there Romo steps up and fires a big gain to Witten after 4 seconds.

11. 4 seconds, no pressure Dez for 20.

12. 4 seconds, no pressure Escobar for 20.

13. Ayers sack which is 3rd pressure of the game.

14. Pot roast breaks free which Romo has no problem escaping and proceeds to hold the ball for 6 seconds while Witten gets open for 10.

15. 5 seconds standing in the pocket and Dez can't make the great one handed catch on the bullet.

16. 5 seconds no pressure Duke with the good coverage on incomplete pass to Witten at the goalline.

17. 5 seconds Romo holds on to the ball before back tracking and being sacked for 17 yd loss at 8 seconds.

18. Romo hits Dez for 12 at the back of his drop.

19. Malik sack best defensive line play yet.

20. 4 seconds Romo runs for short gain. Good Coverage down the field.

21. 3 seconds Romo slides left 10 yard gain.

22. This play was a joke. A little bit of pressure but nothing that Romo doesn't slide around. Stands there for 9 F$%KING seconds before throwing long pass to Williams to give the pokes 3 pts.

Romo had 5 plus seconds to throw on almost all his throws which is not good in the NFL for the defenses. He has great escape ability but he only uses it when he needs to and isn't afraid to sit in the pocket. Hopefully adding Von fixes this problem which I think it can to an extent.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 10-09-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Good podcast, per the usual.

This.

Go Canes!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

WooHoo! Got my first mention on the podcast!

Well done as always, gentlemen -- thanks for the labor of love, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Persnickety!
....It's a good word! Persnickety!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Great job! Always a pleasure to listen!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

^ Huge pass to Dez, 2 seconds in, pocket already collapsing. Throw is out at 3 secs--ridiculously fast for a 7 step drop

Sorry Bro but 2 seconds in pocket may have been collapsing but those 2 guys Wolfe and Malik were pushed to the side giving Romo a clear path. Romo had a full 4 seconds and was able to step up into the throw. It was a 5 step drop too BTW.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Good podcast. I want to believe TheRevs assertion regarding the pass rush. I really do, but there were some epic long pocket times in there. Somebody should go back and just look at the third downs to see if there was a statistical difference in the time Romo had vs the rest of the pass plays.

Pro tip 1: Don't chew ice with mouth next to microphone.
Pro tip 2: Don't put phone on speaker on a multi line conference call.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I got time to watch the second half again and the pass rush/pressure was nonexistent. Denver didn't blitz a lot and the cowboys were able to keep a clean pocket without keeping a TE in very often. Romo is a hell of a QB when he was hot and Dez is probably the best WR in the game right now. It has been mentioned before that the inconsistent pass rush would show up against a legit QB and it did in the amount of 500 yards and 5 TDs.

2nd half throws

1- Long TD to Williams Romo took full drop took 2 steps up and fired the ball. He had 5 seconds in the pocket.

2-Romo allowed to reach back of drop and one step forward.

3 and 4- Clean pocket on both throws and pass rush nonexistent.

5- CB blitz works Romo and Beasley on same page completed hot route.

6 and 7- Clean pocket with 4 seconds to throw with no pressure.

8-Vickerson beat his man to pressure Romo. Romo doesn't see him but he didn't need to because the quick pass was a TD to Dez. 2pt conversion no pressure but the coverage was good and Romo tried to run for it.

9, 10, and 11- Clean pockets Romo was allowed to stand in for at least 4 seconds.

12-Romo had an enternity in the pocket and about 8 seconds. Webster was lucky he wasn't called for shoving Witten out of bounds.

13-Romo TD 8 seconds in the pocket.

14-Romo had 4 seconds in the pocket, no pressure but great coverage.

15 and 17-Passes were too quick for rush to to anything.

16-Romo had 5 seconds in the pocket.

17-Pressure up the middle and great coverage on the back end. Romo sacked by Phillips.

18-Up the middle pressure Romo couldn't step into the throw which wasn't that bad. Great play by Danny.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 10-09-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
Good podcast. I want to believe TheRevs assertion regarding the pass rush. I really do, but there were some epic long pocket times in there. Somebody should go back and just look at the third downs to see if there was a statistical difference in the time Romo had vs the rest of the pass plays.
They only faced 6 3rd downs the whole game, which is ridiculous. And they converted 4 of them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: