The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #201
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
http://www.theamericanconservative.c...ly-blunders-on no one, including Republicans in Congress, can explain what the GOP hopes to achieve at this point
Add Beavis to that list.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #202
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Or just read the inaugural post in this thread.

Although in reality, only one of those items is absolutely mandatory.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #203
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Itís true that most voters arenít pleased with Congressional Democrats or Obama, either, but both the extent and the intensity of disapproval are significantly worse for the GOP. (Strong disapproval of Republicansí handling of things among registered voters is a little higher still at 53%.) Thatís not a surprise when no one, including Republicans in Congress, can explain what the GOP hopes to achieve at this point.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...ly-blunders-on
Sure they can explain it. They want to dismantle the entire concept of government created by FDR, LBJ and others. They just realize that's not going to happen, so meanwhile, they'll throw tantrums.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #204
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,165
Default

Quote:
[H]ere is a POTENTIAL resolution to this entire stand-off: Congress could pass a clean debt-ceiling for a few months, meeting the presidentís requirement of doing it without negotiating. But after that, thereís a negotiation over a longer raise (or ending the debt limit altogether), with the sequester, entitlements, etc. thrown in. Everybody wins: The president gets to say he got Congress to act without negotiating; Boehner can claim he got Obama to the negotiating table.
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-in-sight?lite
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #205
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Sure they can explain it. They want to dismantle the entire concept of government created by FDR, LBJ and others. They just realize that's not going to happen, so meanwhile, they'll throw tantrums.
Their boy Mittens lost by 5 million votes and so now they are holding the gov hostage by demanding that their policies are still put in place. I wonder if the teabaggers who are supposed to be patriots understand what they are really doing.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #206
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
They have the votes. Tanning drunk crying Boner just doesn't want to admit it.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #207
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Their boy Mittens lost by 5 million votes and so now they are holding the gov hostage by demanding that their policies are still put in place. I wonder if the teabaggers who are supposed to be patriots understand what they are really doing.
Quote:
Damned Constitutional Republic! I want a King, Dammit!
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #208
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish.

Ballot access laws are set up certain ways that will likely ensure a two-party system for quite some time, but things like this are just going to make the R's irrelevant unless someone with sanity can reclaim back their party.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #209
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish.

Ballot access laws are set up certain ways that will likely ensure a two-party system for quite some time, but things like this are just going to make the R's irrelevant unless someone with sanity can reclaim back their party.
It's the prototypical "divide and conquer" strategy that is a staple of politics in a two-party system.

Only this time, the Democrats didn't have to do any of the dividing. But they'll be there to pick up the pieces after the whole thing, that's for sure.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #210
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Health care reform is the first sign of the apocalypse.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #211
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's the prototypical "divide and conquer" strategy that is a staple of politics in a two-party system.

Only this time, the Democrats didn't have to do any of the dividing. But they'll be there to pick up the pieces after the whole thing, that's for sure.
I don't think either of them are capable of picking up the pieces, they will just get broken further.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #212
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I don't think either of them are capable of picking up the pieces, they will just get broken further.
For them it doesn't matter whether they do, just as it wouldn't to the Republicans. What I'm referring to the political fallout. The reality is that every day the polls keep getting worse, and the small percentage of Republicans who are responsible just don't have the backing to overwhelm the mainstream. They have to cave, because the public is more moderate than they are. Every day, more Republicans are going on record saying that they will vote for a clean CR. But by the time they do, the damage will have been done, and the media frenzy won't die down for months; just in time for the election season to start. A year from now, most of the extreme right wing Republicans will long since have been primaried by moderate Republicans, who will be backed by the Wall Street they "saved", and in many places, weak Republican districts with motivated moderate and progressive communities will take advantage of it.

That's what I mean by "picking up the pieces".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #213
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
For them it doesn't matter whether they do, just as it wouldn't to the Republicans. What I'm referring to the political fallout. The reality is that every day the polls keep getting worse, and the small percentage of Republicans who are responsible just don't have the backing to overwhelm the mainstream. They have to cave, because the public is more moderate than they are. Every day, more Republicans are going on record saying that they will vote for a clean CR. But by the time they do, the damage will have been done, and the media frenzy won't die down for months; just in time for the election season to start. A year from now, most of the extreme right wing Republicans will long since have been primaried by moderate Republicans, who will be backed by the Wall Street they "saved", and in many places, weak Republican districts with motivated moderate and progressive communities will take advantage of it.

That's what I mean by "picking up the pieces".
Ah, well said. Agreed.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #214
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
For them it doesn't matter whether they do, just as it wouldn't to the Republicans. What I'm referring to the political fallout. The reality is that every day the polls keep getting worse, and the small percentage of Republicans who are responsible just don't have the backing to overwhelm the mainstream. They have to cave, because the public is more moderate than they are. Every day, more Republicans are going on record saying that they will vote for a clean CR. But by the time they do, the damage will have been done, and the media frenzy won't die down for months; just in time for the election season to start. A year from now, most of the extreme right wing Republicans will long since have been primaried by moderate Republicans, who will be backed by the Wall Street they "saved", and in many places, weak Republican districts with motivated moderate and progressive communities will take advantage of it.

That's what I mean by "picking up the pieces".
You keep talking about fallout, but it's really not as bad as you make it out to be.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-to-go-around/

63% "angry" at Republicans, but 57% also show as "angry" at Democrats. A 53% majority are also "angry" at the President. Not enough of a difference to yield a complete surrender a year+ away from the next election.

The only real fallout involves most people cursing both sides. Which (by itself) will have next to zero impact a year from now.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 10-08-2013 at 02:38 PM..
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #215
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

This certainly kills any shot they have at taking the Senate, but gerrymandering will help them keep the house.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #216
Mecklomaniac
Pro Bowler
 
Mecklomaniac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WA
Posts: 742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Dolbin
Default

CU students asked... who do you blame for the shutdown.

Mecklomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #217
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,042
Default

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...ir-own-people/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...7d8_story.html
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #218
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nśstved, DK
Posts: 11,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Health care reform is the first sign of the apocalypse.
Michelle Bachmann thinks it is like the 7th or 8th sign, she is pretty certain this is the end time and the beast will come any day now.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #219
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,072
Default

Gallup: support for Republicans plummets


Have Republicans been unpopular before? Yes.

Have they been *this* unpopular before? No.

http://on.msnbc.com/GH0PYU


L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #220
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklomaniac View Post
CU students asked... who do you blame for the shutdown.

is this the best you got!?
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #221
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
The device tax is just a bargaining chip. It is free to get stripped because this is all about the mandate.

It is a funny liberal concept though. A tax on medical devices as part of the "Affordable Care Act"

That pretty much sums up everything you need to know about leftynomics.
Bargaining chip, ehh? Good call.

I think the tax raises 28b (by memory, I could be wrong), and Dems have been willing to lose that with an offset in revenue. And the Cruz baby tantrum cost 24b, so that's kinda amusing. Shall be called the Ted Cruz ego tax from this point on.

Shame tea-brains are the most narcissistic group ever imagined, you before your country.

Last edited by frerottenextelway; 10-18-2013 at 03:20 PM..
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #222
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Bargaining chip, ehh? Good call.

I think the tax raises 28b (by memory, I could be wrong), and Dems have been willing to lose that with an offset in revenue. And the Cruz baby tantrum cost 24b, so that's kinda amusing. Shall be called the Ted Cruz ego tax from this point on.

Shame tea-brains are the most narcissistic group ever imagined, you before your country.
They would've traded the device tax for a mandate delay in a heartbeat. Turns out Democrats might've been willing to go to the mat over the mandate. Which will be pretty epically comic when they end up having to delay it anyway.

Because then it will be clear that Republicans only failed in trying to get Democrats to do what ultimately had to be done. Meaning the entire shutdown was really about Democratic obstinance and/or denial. Take your pick.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #223
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bůg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Health care reform is the first sign of the apocalypse.
Actually it was forcing kids to watch Ghostbusters/
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #224
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
They would've traded the device tax for a mandate delay in a heartbeat. Turns out Democrats might've been willing to go to the mat over the mandate. Which will be pretty epically comic when they end up having to delay it anyway.

Because then it will be clear that Republicans only failed in trying to get Democrats to do what ultimately had to be done. Meaning the entire shutdown was really about Democratic obstinance and/or denial. Take your pick.
Yes, the entire shutdown was about democrats. The greatest country on earth, God bless her, disagrees. Happy weekend!
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #225
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,072
Default

Boner is already starting with the excuse-making...

Quote:
Boehner doesn't want to be blamed for House Republican radicalism. He was "overrun," he claims, during the shutdown crisis.

But this leads to an uncomfortable follow-up question: why did Boehner allow himself to get pushed around by his own members?

http://on.msnbc.com/1exsxDh

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Denver Broncos