The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default Shutdown meltdown: Elderly residents kicked out of private Lake Mead homes; 60 families affected

Quote:
The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

"I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants," Joyce Spencer told Action News.

The Stewart's Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they're not allowed in until the government reopens.

Park officials said property owners can visit only to retrieve belongings; they sent Action News a statement which reads in part, "Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen."

Joyce Spencer said she's alright in the meantime, staying with nearby family, but the move was a lot to handle as a senior citizen.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Spencer said. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

The Lake Mead properties are considered vacation homes; one of the lease requirements to own a plot is people must have an alternative residence.

Regardless, the Spencers said it's their property and they should be allowed in, shutdown or not.
http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/226557661.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-6-2013 6-02-50 PM.jpg (66.4 KB, 47 views)
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/8448...-due-shutdown/

Gov't Tries to Close the OCEAN Due to Shutdown

Quote:
Charter boat captains in Florida have been informed by the National Park Service that the Florida Bay is closed due to the government shutdown.

The captains, who make a living by taking tourists and anglers on deep-sea fishing trips, are prohibited from fishing in 1,100 square miles of ocean until the shutdown ends. They are also banned from Biscayne National Park.

Rangers will be on duty to enforce the ban. In fact, the personnel and resources required to shut down the ocean will probably cost more than keeping it open. Brilliant.

Breitbart reporter Mike Flynn hit the nail on the head:

This is governing by temper-tantrum. It is on par with the government’s ham-fisted attempts to close the DC WWII Memorial, an open-air public monument that is normally accessible 24 hours a day. By accessible I mean, you walk up to it. When you have finished reflecting, you then walk away from it.

At least that Memorial is an actual structure, with some kind of perimeter that can be fenced off. Florida Bay is the ocean. How, pray tell, do you “close” 1,100 square miles of ocean? Why would one even need to do so?

Apparently, according to an anonymous Park Service ranger, “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

Americans from both sides have criticized the unnecessary theatrics that the shutdown has brought. It’s called Washington Monument Syndrome, and it’s basically when officials close down the most popular government services with hopes of upsetting the public enough to pressure lawmakers to act a particular way.

But forget Washington Monument Syndrome. The bottom line is that Washington is taking advantage of the situation just to make a point, and it seems they have no limits. First the forests, then the monuments, and now the ocean? When will it stop?

Next - 13 National Parks: How They Were Impacted by Government Shutdown
Old 10-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
W*GS
Ring of Famer

How much you getting paid to be a GOP whore?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Usually liberals would be freaking out about such stories, but they reserve that when democrats are not responsible of course. So these stories barely get reported, if at all.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Usually liberals would be freaking out about such stories, but they reserve that when democrats are not responsible of course. So these stories barely get reported, if at all.
Apparently booting people from private homes too close to the King's Lands is considered an essential federal service.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...irs-anger-S-D-

If you've ever been to Mt Rushmore, the highway that drives by the park area has a pull-out lane for traffic to pull over and catch a glimpse of the mountain. Note, this is completely separate from the park itself. Is really just another lane added to the highway at a point where you can see the faces.

And your federal masters Barrycaded it off. A fricking parking lane on a highway. But keep clapping, Roh. Keep clapping.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...irs-anger-S-D-

If you've ever been to Mt Rushmore, the highway that drives by the park area has a pull-out lane for traffic to pull over and catch a glimpse of the mountain. Note, this is completely separate from the park itself. Is really just another lane added to the highway at a point where you can see the faces.

And your federal masters Barrycaded it off. A fricking parking lane on a highway. But keep clapping, Roh. Keep clapping.
Right Wingers: The only people stupid enough to shut down the government and then blame the other guys for the effects.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Right Wingers: The only people stupid enough to shut down the government and then blame the other guys for the effects.
So what you're saying is a shut down government should send 'essential' workers out blocking off scenic outlooks on highways, kicking people out of homes, shutting down missing children websites... etc etc.

By this standard, shouldn't the super-expensive, round-the-clock work on the King's new health care exchange site also be halted? Or is the public 'pain' to be experienced completely subject to his royal highness' discretion?

Maybe he should shut down the Interstate system. Or maybe only in Red States. Whatever it is, Roh's on board.

Seymour needs fed, that's all that's important.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
W*GS
Ring of Famer

There's quite the right-wing propaganda machine at work.

Do you guys have a calling tree to make sure that everyone uses the same talking-points when they pontificate about how evil Obama is on various and sundry 'Net boards, newspaper comment sites, &c., &c?

I've seen the exact same things mentioned by the usual right-wing pudknockers in several different places this morning.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
There's quite the right-wing propaganda machine at work.

Do you guys have a calling tree to make sure that everyone uses the same talking-points when they pontificate about how evil Obama is on various and sundry 'Net boards, newspaper comment sites, &c., &c?

I've seen the exact same things mentioned by the usual right-wing pudknockers in several different places this morning.
Think of it like a right-of-center Politico version of the IPCC. Then it'll make more sense to you.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
It's amazing to watch.

Are their supporters really so stupid as to buy into that bull****?? ::rhetorical::
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
So what you're saying is a shut down government should send 'essential' workers out blocking off scenic outlooks on highways, kicking people out of homes, shutting down missing children websites... etc etc.

By this standard, shouldn't the super-expensive, round-the-clock work on the King's new health care exchange site also be halted? Or is the public 'pain' to be experienced completely subject to his royal highness' discretion?

Maybe he should shut down the Interstate system. Or maybe only in Red States. Whatever it is, Roh's on board.

Seymour needs fed, that's all that's important.
Like a toddler who decides to throw his plate of food on the floor and then starts screaming at mommy because, after all, he really did want the applesauce.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Like a toddler who decides to throw his plate of food on the floor and then starts screaming at mommy because, after all, he really did want the applesauce.
Alternatively...

The King's Government is the spoiled toddler at the store who threatens to scream and break things if his toy demands aren't fully satisfied.

It's pretty startling to see that team Progressive is happy to watch public servants turn to anti-service as soon as the autonomous bureaucracy's demands aren't met.

The mafia does business that same way. But ends justify means I guess. Winning is all that matters.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Alternatively...

The King's Government is the spoiled toddler at the store who threatens to scream and break things if his toy demands aren't fully satisfied.

It's pretty startling to see that team Progressive is happy to watch public servants turn to anti-service as soon as the autonomous bureaucracy's demands aren't met.

The mafia does business that same way. But ends justify means I guess. Winning is all that matters.
Oh. I see. So it's the government that shut itself down because its demands were not being met? And here, I thought it was just a handful of toddlers in the House.

I'm always amazed at the doublethink that comes from the bowels of Fox.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Now that's BS and you know it. Obama is going out of his way to make this painful for everyone.

I said it before and I'll say it again. We're just getting started with the STUPID!

Both sides should be kicked to the curb!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Oh. I see. So it's the government that shut itself down because its demands were not being met? And here, I thought it was just a handful of toddlers in the House.

I'm always amazed at the doublethink that comes from the bowels of Fox.
Nothing compares to the doublethink of someone cheering while a 'shut down' government sends out (paid) goons to make the bureaucracy's butthurt as publicly felt as possible.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

I know this is just one small example, but they all add up. It doesn't cost the government anything when people look at Mt Rushmore from a distance outside the park. So why would the government spend money to make it harder for people to see Mt Rushmore? It's obvious they want to cause as much pain as possible so the slaves will beg for their masters to come save them. Like I said, this is tiny in the grand scheme, but's its so ridiculous, I had to comment.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Now that's BS and you know it. Obama is going out of his way to make this painful for everyone.

I said it before and I'll say it again. We're just getting started with the STUPID!

It's a terrible precedent, top to bottom. Now every time any agency's budget gets trimmed (even from its wishlist budget) we'll probably see this kind of crap.

I guess if Democrats are ever able to force significant military cuts, the Department of Defense should just shut off civilian access to GPS until they're fully funded.

"I mean Watidya Expect?"
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

No. The Right has been this way about health care going back to the 50s. They called Truman a communist over it. Reagan said when Medicare passed that this was the end for America and he would have to tell his grandchildren what America was like before we became a communist country. It's government by hysteria. They called the tune. Let them dance to it or shut the **** up.

Some moron congressman from Texas today said they're not giving up. "We're not the French. We don't surrender." So, throw in stupidity plus an insult to one of our closest allies. When somebody in the crowd reminded him how do you surrender in a fight you started, the congressman went mute. That's the kind of stupidity we're dealing with here.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 10-07-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No. The Right has been this way about health care going back to the 50s. They called Truman a communist over it. Reagan said when Medicare passed that this was the end for America and he would have to tell his grandchildren what America was like before we became a communist country. It's government by hysteria. They called the tune. Let them dance to it or shut the **** up.

Some moron congressman from Texas today said they're not giving up. "We're not the French. We don't surrender." So, throw in stupidity plus an insult to one of our closest allies. When somebody in the crowd reminded him how do you surrender in a fight you started, the congressman went mute. That's the kind of stupidity we're dealing with here.
Dude, 7 years ago, Democrats were basically accusing Republicans of enslaving the grandchildren over raising Bush's debt ceiling. Let's keep some perspective here.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

BS. False equivalencies like your post. Obama isn't going out of his wY make to anything harder. There are consequences to shutting down the government.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
BS. False equivalencies like your post. Obama isn't going out of his wY make to anything harder. There are consequences to shutting down the government.
Not true. Obama personally called those park rangers at Mt. Rushmore and told them to close that scenic outlook. Get with the program, dude.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson