The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #476
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
You really think 'private' health care in the US isn't heavily regulated?
Of course it is, it is EVERYWHERE to some degree.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #477
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
No it's not. Get your facts straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Singapore

"The government regularly adjusts policies to actively regulate "the supply and prices of healthcare services in the country" in an attempt to keep costs in check. However, for the most part the government does not directly regulate the costs of private medical care. These costs are largely subject to market forces, and vary enormously within the private sector, depending on the medical specialty and service provided."

Oh, so now Wiki is a good source.

I'll go with factual business news from the region. Here is a piece on Private Hospital investment in Singapore.

Quote:
News Analysis: Singapore private hospital runners face uncertain outlook despite medical tourism boom

Credit Suisse Research said while stable revenue growth of the private hospital operators is probably a given, there are also some underlying risks that may arise from inherently volatile margins and high capital expenditure.

For instance, IHH Healthcare, which operates private hospitals in Singapore, Malaysia and Turkey, expects margins to remain volatile in the near term as new hospitals are starting up.

Hospital groups with an expanding hospital network often face margin pressure because of losses and competition from new hospitals. They require huge fixed asset investments such as land, buildings and equipment before they can start their expanded operations.

After they commenced operations, new hospitals will typically need two to three years to reach acceptable capacity utilization levels.

Margin pressure of medical service providers also comes from the regulatory environment in a variety of ways, such as cap on patient fees, high license fees, higher public sector investment, and restrictions on import of foreign labor.
Add the regulations covering drugs and you have a regulated healthcare system, no matter what Wiki says. How do you think a country with a much higher per capita income than the US, spends a fraction of their GDP, compared to the US, on Healthcare without regulation? It doesn't, the system is heavily regulated by a somewhat benign dictatorial Government, that's how costs are suppressed.

Anyway, explain how their healthcare system could be copied by the US without government regulation controlling costs??

Last edited by DenverBrit; 10-05-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #478
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
I love how the righties adore Singapore. It's an authoritarian system with no pretenses about liberty, freedom, rights... Just like the Right's wet dreams.

Any port in a storm.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #479
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
You are incorrect. Hospitals are not allowed to turn away patrons. Medicare, Medicaid, CICP (in Colorado), all exist for people who cannot afford medical care.

The US system does not have a problem with access to care, it has a problem with cost. Obamacare increases costs.

Except it doesn't raise costs..........already saved me 400 hundred on wellness exams just this year. Got prices yesterday on kids healthcare premiums.........200 a month lower.

Free wellness exam caught pre cancer in the wife, without she might have put it off for who knows how long.

As usual you watch too much Fox news...........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #480
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post

Oh, so now Wiki is a good source.

I'll go with factual business news from the region. Here is a piece on Private Hospital investment in Singapore.

Add the regulations covering drugs and you have a regulated healthcare system, no matter what Wiki says. How do you think a country with a much higher per capita income than the US, spends a fraction of their GDP, compared to the US, on Healthcare without regulation? It doesn't, the system is heavily regulated by a somewhat benign dictatorial Government, that's how costs are suppressed.

Anyway, explain how their healthcare system could be copied by the US without government regulation controlling costs??
To reiterate:

1. Singapore's PUBLIC healthcare system consists of the hospital/end of life sector and is heavily regulated.
2. Singapore's PRIVATE healthcare system consists of family practice and is free market, largely without government spending and controls.
3. Singapore's healthcare system is going increasingly PRIVATE.

It stands to reason that a PRIVATE hospital entering Singapore's PUBLIC hospital system would also be under some of the same regulations and price controls as the PUBLIC hospitals.

Even a mentally retarded 2-year old chimpanzee would understand, yet you cannot seem to grasp it. The only question remaining is how many more pages it will take?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #481
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
To reiterate:

1. Singapore's PUBLIC healthcare system consists of the hospital/end of life sector and is heavily regulated.
2. Singapore's PRIVATE healthcare system consists of family practice and is free market, largely without government spending and controls.
3. Singapore's healthcare system is going increasingly PRIVATE.

It stands to reason that a PRIVATE hospital entering Singapore's PUBLIC hospital system would also be under some of the same regulations and price controls as the PUBLIC hospitals.

Even a mentally retarded 2-year old chimpanzee would understand, yet you cannot seem to grasp it. The only question remaining is how many more pages it will take?

You're not only an dumbass, you're a dishonest dumbass. You've spent pages arguing that the private healthcare market IS NOT regulated. Now that I've shown you otherwise, you change direction.
Quote:
Your article refers to the PUBLIC part of Singapore's system. Not the PRIVATE part.

PUBLIC is highly regulated (as it should be to keep taxpayer liability low), the PRIVATE (free market) is not.
Look in the mirror, and there's that "mentally retarded 2-year old chimpanzee" staring at you.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 10-05-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #482
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Sums it up...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #483
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://votesmart.org/public-statemen...g#.UlC9XFDkupw

Quote:
Sanders Opposes Bush Administration Plan to Dramatically Raise National Debt Ceiling
1/3/2006

Rep. Bernie Sanders today voiced his strong opposition to the Bush Administration's attempt to dramatically increase the U.S. debt ceiling. The Administration recently stated that if Congress doesn't increase the national debt ceiling, the United States may have to default on its debt obligation for the first time in history. In response, the Republican Leadership has proposed raising the debt ceiling by a whopping $781 billion. Since the Republicans took control of the White House, the Senate, and the House of Representatives five years ago, they have racked up the largest debt in our nation's history while passing hundreds of billions of dollars in tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. Because of this record-breaking spending, the U.S. is expected to overtake the current debt ceiling of $8.2 trillion by mid-February.
He cried foul about raising the debt ceiling by $780 billion, and now sits by clapping while we add over $1,000 billion in debt each and every year.

Like Jonah said. For people with standards, this looks like hypocrisy, but in this case, there are no standards or principles.

Win at all Costs. Progressive power above all else.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #484
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
You're not only an dumbass, you're a dishonest dumbass. You've spent pages arguing that the private healthcare market IS NOT regulated. Now that I've shown you otherwise, you change direction.

Look in the mirror, and there's that "mentally retarded 2-year old chimpanzee" staring at you.
I could re-post all the proof I've shown you, but it wouldn't do anything. You fail to recognize that Singapore's PRIVATE (free market) family practice sector is unregulated. I tell you that Singapore's healthcare system is going increasingly PRIVATE, you find a private hospital in the PUBLIC system that is regulated...
...and claim that the whole country is regulated.

You're like a thirsty deaf mule braying for water, as you stand knee deep in the creek. What a humongous waste of time.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #485
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:

Keep laying the wood to this fool, he 's a p***Y and will eventually put you on ignore.

The truth drives him nuts and if you haven't noticed yet he is Mr. Conspiracy................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #486
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Keep laying the wood to this fool, he 's a p***Y and will eventually put you on ignore.

The truth drives him nuts and if you haven't noticed yet he is Mr. Conspiracy................
No, you're just not worth responding to.

I spent several pages saying that Singapore's PUBLIC (taxpayer funded) sector is regulated to limit taxpayer liability, while Singapore's PRIVATE (family practice) sector is free market.

It's not my fault neither one of you can understand that. I spelled it out very simply. There's nothing more to say on the subject. I can't argue with someone who continues to deny the facts. It's a complete waste of time.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #487
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Bernie Sanders: One of the few voices of sanity left in America.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #488
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
http://votesmart.org/public-statemen...g#.UlC9XFDkupw

He cried foul about raising the debt ceiling by $780 billion, and now sits by clapping while we add over $1,000 billion in debt each and every year.

Like Jonah said. For people with standards, this looks like hypocrisy, but in this case, there are no standards or principles.

Win at all Costs. Progressive power above all else.
Since the progressive basic premise is all power is to derive from the people, then yes.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #489
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
I could re-post all the proof I've shown you, but it wouldn't do anything. You fail to recognize that Singapore's PRIVATE (free market) family practice sector is unregulated. I tell you that Singapore's healthcare system is going increasingly PRIVATE, you find a private hospital in the PUBLIC system that is regulated...
...and claim that the whole country is regulated.

You're like a thirsty deaf mule braying for water, as you stand knee deep in the creek. What a humongous waste of time.
Obviously you either can't read, comprehend or are being your usual obtuse self.

For the last time, and it couldn't be any clearer, this article is about PRIVATE, not public hospitals:

Quote:
Credit Suisse Research said while stable revenue growth of the private hospital operators is probably a given, there are also some underlying risks that may arise from inherently volatile margins and high capital expenditure.

Margin pressure of medical service providers also comes from the regulatory environment in a variety of ways, such as cap on patient fees, high license fees
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #490
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Obviously you either can't read, comprehend or are being your usual obtuse self.

For the last time, and it couldn't be any clearer, this article is about PRIVATE, not public hospitals:
Let's see if you can follow logic.

Here are the facts:
1. 'the PUBLIC hospital system is regulated'
2. 'the PRIVATE family practice system is not regulated'
3. 'Singapore is going increasingly PRIVATE'

Which statement holds true?
a. 'a new PRIVATE hospital may be subject to some of the same regulations as PUBLIC hospitals'
b. 'Singapore's ENTIRE system is regulated'
c. both statements hold true
d. neither statement is true

What is your answer: a, b, c, or d?

If you answer anything other than 'a', you don't understand logic.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #491
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #492
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

That's what I thought punk. Quit wasting my time.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #493
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Save your insults for the idiot in your mirror.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #494
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
Um... no they can't. The PPACA requires insurance companies to spend 80% of their revenues on patient care. That prevents any such "milking."
I find it interesting that insurance companies, who are privately held must spend 80% of their revenues on patient care, yet non-profit hospitals who receive insane tax breaks in the BILLIONS are required to spend no more than 5% of their revenue on charity care, its a ****ing joke.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #495
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Except it doesn't raise costs..........already saved me 400 hundred on wellness exams just this year. Got prices yesterday on kids healthcare premiums.........200 a month lower.

Free wellness exam caught pre cancer in the wife, without she might have put it off for who knows how long.

As usual you watch too much Fox news...........
Why don't you try being accurate. It does not raise costs for YOU, however for millions of young healthy people, we are going to see drastic healthcare premium increases mine went up from $101.00 a month to $160.00 a month for the same exact plan, that is a 58% increase in my rate. Also, there are more than 20 taxes that are being levied or increased to cover the costs of the subsidies, guess what, those are cost INCREASES, that will be seen by a ton of people and business's. Here is a list of the taxes that will be increased or levied

http://jeffduncan.house.gov/full-lis...care-tax-hikes.

So just because YOUR rate decreases it doesn't mean that it doesn't raise costs on people or business.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #496
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
Why don't you try being accurate. It does not raise costs for YOU, however for millions of young healthy people, we are going to see drastic healthcare premium increases mine went up from $101.00 a month to $160.00 a month for the same exact plan, that is a 58% increase in my rate. Also, there are more than 20 taxes that are being levied or increased to cover the costs of the subsidies, guess what, those are cost INCREASES, that will be seen by a ton of people and business's. Here is a list of the taxes that will be increased or levied

http://jeffduncan.house.gov/full-lis...care-tax-hikes.

So just because YOUR rate decreases it doesn't mean that it doesn't raise costs on people or business.
First of all, how do you know "millions" of young healthy people will see "drastic" premium increases? Where do you get your numbers and how do you define "drastic" in this context?

Secondly, how did your premiums increase? Was it your insurance company? If so have you shopped your state's insurance exchange for a better deal?

And what state do you live in? When did the increase occur?
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #497
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Quote:
First of all, how do you know "millions" of young healthy people will see "drastic" premium increases? Where do you get your numbers and how do you define "drastic" in this context?

Secondly, how did your premiums increase? Was it your insurance company? If so have you shopped your state's insurance exchange for a better deal?

And what state do you live in? When did the increase occur?
Links about Obamacare's impact on the young:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/14/news...ums/index.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150220951.html

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/03/st...surance-costs/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ent-entirely-/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...bamacare-.html

Is 5 sources enough or do you need more, or maybe you just care to ignore the FACTS.

2. My current plan which I am operating under right now, as my employer dropped my insurance coverage last year in advance of Obamacare, I live in Colorado, was $101.00 a month for the last year. The exact same plan, same deductible, same exact coverage, as found through the Colorado Exchange as of 10/3/2013, was $160.00 which is a 58% increase in my costs for the exact same coverage in ALL respects.

Now, if you would like me to break down exactly WHY the costs increased I can actually provide you a letter from Rocky Mountain Health Plan that I requested explaining the rise in my costs for my existing plan and the plan I found through the exchange, when I get it. The nice representative I spoke to on the phone (Amber, because I actually take notes) told me that the reason for this hike is that my former plan was NOT ACA compliant and the increase in my costs was a result a the new plan being ACA compliant. Inevitable whining from you is going to be " but you are getting more benefits that you didn't get before so it is fair". Last time I checked I don't need maternity stuff because I am a guy, I don't have any mental illness, I dont need that, I don't take any prescriptions, do need that. So yes Obamacare increased my costs. Before you ask I make between $60,000 - $85,000 (work for a gas company as a an energy analyst, and have a Masters Degree) so I am not eligible for a subsidy.

That enough proof for you Lone Bolt or would you like to challenge me on something else you have no ****ing clue about.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #498
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
Links about Obamacare's impact on the young:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/14/news...ums/index.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150220951.html

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/03/st...surance-costs/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ent-entirely-/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...bamacare-.html

Is 5 sources enough or do you need more, or maybe you just care to ignore the FACTS.

2. My current plan which I am operating under right now, as my employer dropped my insurance coverage last year in advance of Obamacare, I live in Colorado, was $101.00 a month for the last year. The exact same plan, same deductible, same exact coverage, as found through the Colorado Exchange as of 10/3/2013, was $160.00 which is a 58% increase in my costs for the exact same coverage in ALL respects.

Now, if you would like me to break down exactly WHY the costs increased I can actually provide you a letter from Rocky Mountain Health Plan that I requested explaining the rise in my costs for my existing plan and the plan I found through the exchange, when I get it. The nice representative I spoke to on the phone (Amber, because I actually take notes) told me that the reason for this hike is that my former plan was NOT ACA compliant and the increase in my costs was a result a the new plan being ACA compliant. Inevitable whining from you is going to be " but you are getting more benefits that you didn't get before so it is fair". Last time I checked I don't need maternity stuff because I am a guy, I don't have any mental illness, I dont need that, I don't take any prescriptions, do need that. So yes Obamacare increased my costs. Before you ask I make between $60,000 - $85,000 (work for a gas company as a an energy analyst, and have a Masters Degree) so I am not eligible for a subsidy.

That enough proof for you Lone Bolt or would you like to challenge me on something else you have no ****ing clue about.
Tsk tsk Such hostility. I was just asking questions.

So you are implying that you do in fact get better benefits. And as a mental health professional (also master's-level educated) I can assure you that you do need mental health coverage. No history of mental health issues is no guarantee that one will not occur. You could for example be involved in a horrific accident and suffer from PTSD or severe depression. And are you really sure you don't need prescription medication coverage? Even you might come down with an unexpected illness.

Now if you think that the PPACA standard plans cover too much, that can be debated and the law can be reformed if needed. But that's not evidence that it doesn't work at all.

Last edited by The Lone Bolt; 10-06-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #499
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Tsk tsk Such hostility. I was just asking questions.

So you are implying that you do in fact get better benefits. And as a mental health professional (also master's-level educated) I can assure you that you do need mental health coverage. No history of mental health issues is no guarantee that one will not occur. You could for example be involved in a horrific accident and suffer from PTSD or severe depression. And are you really sure you don't need prescription medication coverage? Even you might come down with an unexpected illness.

Now if you think that the PPACA standard plans cover too much, that can be debated and the law can be reformed if needed. But that's not evidence that it doesn't work at all.
You just nutshelled the problem. The Consumer can no longer buy the coverage he needs but instead only that which is politically ordained.

Which will only serve to amplify everything that's wrong with health care.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #500
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
You just nutshelled the problem. The Consumer can no longer buy the coverage he needs but instead only that which is politically ordained.

Which will only serve to amplify everything that's wrong with health care.
The system doesn't work without standards. Without standard plans insurance companies will just offer "compliance plans" that cost almost nothing but also cover almost nothing.

And people often think they don't need coverage that they do. Lots of young people out there who think they're invincible and don't need this coverage or that coverage. What coverage people "need" is a subject of public debate and should be decided by the public because the public pays for whatever costs are passed on by hospitals who treat the uninsured or underinsured.