The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #151
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That is not true at all...
Yup. And lots of people are working but not being paid. I would consider that "affected".

Last edited by TonyR; 10-03-2013 at 12:06 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #152
bombay
Ring of Famer

NYT says Boehner will not allow country to default, will not invoke Hastert rule.

This is good for the country, so he'll probably lose his Speakership for it.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #153
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...will-be-raised

Quote:
The lawmaker, who spoke on the condition of not being named, said Mr. Boehner indicated he would be willing to violate the so-called Hastert rule if necessary to pass a debt limit increase. The informal rule refers to a policy of not bringing to the floor any measure that does not have a majority of Republican votes.

Other Republicans also said Thursday that they got the sense that Mr. Boehner, who held two meetings Wednesday with groups of House moderates, would do whatever was necessary to ensure that the country did not default on its debt.
with that said,shut down will be over relatively soon. with no concessions.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #154
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...will-be-raised

Quote:
The lawmaker, who spoke on the condition of not being named, said Mr. Boehner indicated he would be willing to violate the so-called Hastert rule if necessary to pass a debt limit increase. The informal rule refers to a policy of not bringing to the floor any measure that does not have a majority of Republican votes.

Other Republicans also said Thursday that they got the sense that Mr. Boehner, who held two meetings Wednesday with groups of House moderates, would do whatever was necessary to ensure that the country did not default on its debt.
with that said,shut down will be over relatively soon. with no concessions.
Denny Hastert Disses the ‘Hastert Rule’: It ‘Never Really Existed’
by Eleanor Clift Oct 3, 2013 5:45 AM EDT

The former Republican speaker’s ‘rule,’ that you can’t bring legislation to the House floor without a majority of GOP votes, is cited as the reason Boehner can’t end the shutdown. But Hastert tells Eleanor Clift it’s a ‘non-entity’—and ‘if we had to work with Democrats, we did.’

There’s been a lot said in recent days about the so-called Hastert Rule. It is cited as the main reason why House Speaker John Boehner won’t allow a vote to fund the government with no Obamacare strings attached—under the rule, no legislation can be brought to the floor without a majority of Republican votes. But the rule’s namesake, former House speaker Denny Hastert, told The Daily Beast on Wednesday, “The Hastert Rule never really existed. It’s a non-entity as far as I’m concerned.”

He explained that at the 2006 press conference where he is credited with instituting the rule, he was speaking generally and philosophically. A reporter asked if Hastert, who was having trouble getting an immigration reform bill out of committee and building support in the GOP conference, couldn’t get Democrats to work with him. The genial speaker replied that relying on the other party for the bulk of votes is “something I would not generally do,” a fairly benign statement, as he remembers it now, that appears to have morphed into an ironclad rule. “Generally speaking, I needed to have a majority of my majority, at least half of my conference. This wasn’t a rule. I was speaking philosophically at the time…The Hastert Rule is kind of a misnomer.”

Continues
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #155
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That is not true at all. Several programs under VA are shut down or running on reduced schedules including several hot-lines, regional offices are gone. Claim and payment services will be running for another 2-3 weeks and then shut down if funding has not resumed.

Don't call people liars when you don't know what you are talking about son, it reflects poorly on your intelligence.
Veterans Affairs isn't projected to run out of money until late October.

Today, the House has passed legislation to continue Veterans Affairs funding (past the end of October) but Harry Reid and Obama refuse to pass anything. Do some research before you post boy.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...n-exemption-VA

Last edited by pricejj; 10-03-2013 at 07:30 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #156
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup. And lots of people are working but not being paid. I would consider that "affected".
Dumb to take a government job when you know that the US borrows 40 cents for every dollar it spends.

The taxpayers simply can't support the Democrat Federal budget. It doesn't matter whether you refuse to accept it or not.

You think taxpayers aren't "affected" by paying interest? You remain clueless.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #157
bombay
Ring of Famer

Paul Kane ‏@pkcapitol 31m
House Rs just unanimously voted to pay fed workers for time they're not working. Things that wouldn't have happened 10 days ago.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #158
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Seems reasonable...
  • Repeal of the Medical Device Tax
  • One year delay on the individual mandate
  • The Senate's Continuing Resolution gets pushed to December 15th
  • Troops get paid regardless

http://www.speaker.gov/press-release...stop-obamacare

Except the medical device tax pays for a lot of Obamacare so its a no starter........its just another way to defund.

In short its BS
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #159
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
House Rs just unanimously voted to pay fed workers for time they're not working. Things that wouldn't have happened 10 days ago.

Isn;t that nice of them, what about all the money prvate sector has lost and the damage to an already struggling economy ?

DO THEY HAVE A BILL TO FIX THAT ?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #160
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Veterans Affairs isn't projected to run out of money until late October.

Today, the House has passed legislation to continue Veterans Affairs funding (past the end of October) but Harry Reid and Obama refuse to pass anything. Do some research before you post boy.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...n-exemption-VA

idiot, pure and simple

Lets piece meal the whole damn budget...........

The POS repubs will leave anything OUT they don't like out...........

Like anything that helps the poor for example.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #161
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Just put a clean bill back on the floor for a vote. ****ing idiot politicians!!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #162
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
So, in other words, they're making a crass, purely political move that will add to the debt.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #163
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
So, in other words, they're making a crass, purely political move that will add to the debt.
Yes. This is a pretty big deal.

As I understand it, most pay periods for Federal employees end on the 6th, so most were holding off on filing unemployment claims until then.

They still will, but now there's recourse for states to get the federal money back when those workers go back.

Last edited by bombay; 10-05-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #164
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Lolz. You act like federal workers getting back wages wasn't a forgone conclusion or that you wouldn't be spittling all over your screen if federal workers ended up unpaid for their time in furloughgatory.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #165
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
idiot, pure and simple

Lets piece meal the whole damn budget...........

The POS repubs will leave anything OUT they don't like out...........

Like anything that helps the poor for example.
If you think about it, budgets should be done in pieces.

All-or-nothing budgets only lead to waste, hostage-taking, and brinksmanship.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #166
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Just as idiotic and hypocritical as this quote by the Republicans. “We’re not going to be disrespected, we have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #167
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Paid vacation.
I'll take "the way the Federal Government always disciplines employees" for 500 Alex.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #168
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

You lookin at me?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dom Casual

A: Back pay is NEVER a foregone conclusion. Given the 6 days of furlough already done this fiscal year, it was especially in question. Frankly I assumed we would not get it. By saying we will this just gives them an opening to keep the government closed longer.
B. Paid Vacation none of us wanted. We did 6 days of it already, which is about $5K on my salary and about $10K plus for higher salaries
C. The last time this happened it took months to get the back pay so **** load of good it does the people who need to pay rent NOW. Geezus.
D. Only Non-Exempt can file unemployment so the exempt workers are currently working without getting paid.
E. Regular Federal workers on the GS Scale have had a pay freeze for 5 years so they haven't gotten any increases in pay short of taking a promotion. This freeze is only the GS, not the SES or of course Congress or the President.

As for other idiotic remarks about Fed workers, we do our jobs because we love our country. We are angry right now because we can't do the jobs we love and because fiscally yet again we got ****ed up the ass. The last anal rape though we knew was coming and planned for. This time however, they tore us up and most of us continued to save our money as much as we could, but it still will require a lot to fix. I was just getting back to pre-furlough savings when this **** hit the fan. My agency is looking at a 20% reduction in the workforce and additional cost reduction measures and we've been under our budget for the past 10 years.

Anyway, carry on, I am going to start editing my resume and looking for a new job.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #169
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How many shutdowns have their been before? 16? Not aware of any of them where federal workers weren't paid back.

Certainly didn't happen the last time in 1996 (first time ever involving a Republican Congress/Democratic President)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #170
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

You lookin at me?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dom Casual

You will have to excuse me if I don't exactly trust my "leaders" these days. One of the things they are paid to do is the budget and in my 10 years they've neither passed one on time nor passed one that effectively managed our debt. I have very little faith in anyone DC these days. Frankly I am not sure I have faith in anything right now except possibly Peyton Manning.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #171
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
You will have to excuse me if I don't exactly trust my "leaders" these days. One of the things they are paid to do is the budget and in my 10 years they've neither passed one on time nor passed one that effectively managed our debt. I have very little faith in anyone DC these days. Frankly I am not sure I have faith in anything right now except possibly Peyton Manning.
They really need to start budgeting agency by agency. Oh and stop being utter tools.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #172
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
Lolz. You act like federal workers getting back wages wasn't a forgone conclusion or that you wouldn't be spittling all over your screen if federal workers ended up unpaid for their time in furloughgatory.

Considering the wack job house of reps who kept holding funds for hurricanes no I wasn't sure they would get their money.

Glad your proud of them for doing their jobs and doing the right thing.

How will they repay all the private sector money being lost ?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #173
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Considering the wack job house of reps who kept holding funds for hurricanes no I wasn't sure they would get their money.

Glad your proud of them for doing their jobs and doing the right thing.

How will they repay all the private sector money being lost ?
Lolz, Funny time for you kids to start worrying about that...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...ost-1-trillion

Quote:
EPA's Proposed Ozone Regulation Could Cost $1 Trillion
Old 10-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #174
W*GS
Ring of Famer

W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #175
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
Lolz, Funny time for you kids to start worrying about that...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...ost-1-trillion
That op-ed is over two years old.

Quote:
EPA's Proposed Ozone Regulation Could Cost $1 Trillion
By THOMAS PYLE
August 25, 2011
Thomas Pyle is the president of the Institute for Energy Research
Who the heck is "Thomas Pyle"?

Quote:
The Institute for Energy Research has a political arm, the American Energy Alliance, which is responsible for multi-million dollar television advertising campaigns that have attacked energy policy, ideas and positions of the Obama Administration that are contrary to the those held by IER. The American Energy Alliance is run by Thomas (Tom) Pyle, a former lobbyist for Koch Industries. According the its website, the Alliance engages in "grassroots public policy advocacy and debate" regarding energy.

Both IER and the American Energy Alliance are partly funded by the Koch Brothers and their donor network, according to Politico's research, sources - and to reports by Koch-controlled charitable foundations themselves.
Figures. BroncoBeavis is a Koch-sucker.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote