The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Making fun of people with dark skin. Great idea bozo.
Another unintentional laugher. Boehner made himself that color.

He's still quite turdlike, despite your pathetic attempt at calling me a racist.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post

He's still quite turdlike, despite your pathetic attempt at calling me a racist.
Yeah, I 'ed too.

I thought only liberals were supposed to be so sensitive as to see racism everywhere.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think when the people examine this, they'll see that it wasn't worth shutting down the government over a year delay and the repeal of a very unpopular tax. I'm not sure what Obama and Reid are thinking.

For my part, I'm comfortable with this. I feel like the Republicans offered a reasonable compromise to keep the government open and funded. If Obama and Reid don't want to give an inch, then this is on them.
what they'll see is a rethuglican party willing to throw the country under a bus over their own ideology.
what Obama and Ried are thinking is that you don't allow extortion to be used as a negotiating tactic.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
I'm actually stunned. I thought this was a great compromise. I can't believe Reid and Obama aren't willing to budge an inch and instead choose to preside over a shut down over such a small concession. I guess I have to credit them for having principles too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure our side will hold the line in the House and get the same extension for the people that Obama granted to big business. That's an easy hill for our side to find footing and fix bayonets on.
It's the far right and the fools who pander to them that are throwing a childish tantrum. Like it or not, the ACA was passed by both houses and upheld by the Supreme Court. What we are witnessing is nothing more than a far right, ideological power play that reinforces the corrupt, dysfunctional cluster **** in DC.

Why bother to have elections and pass bills?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
It's the far right and the fools who pander to them that are throwing a childish tantrum. Like it or not, the ACA was passed by both houses and upheld by the Supreme Court. What we are witnessing is nothing more than a far right, ideological power play that reinforces the corrupt, dysfunctional cluster **** in DC.

not to mention that the "referendum" already happened in 2012.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That's fine with me. You guys point your fingers. We'll point ours.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #32
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post

So what you're saying is that your man Obama is doing Americans a great service by unilaterally (and illegally) delaying the parts of the law his donors don't like. But Republicans offering delay for the rest of us as part of a legal legislative compromise is what's wrong with American politics.

BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
So what you're saying is that your man Obama is doing Americans a great service by unilaterally (and illegally) delaying the parts of the law his donors don't like. But Republicans offering delay for the rest of us as part of a legal legislative compromise is what's wrong with American politics.

whats being said is get the **** over it, ACA is a done deal.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
whats being said is get the **** over it, ACA is a done deal.
Unless the King no likely. Then its a matter of executive discretion.

This attitude could come back to haunt the left much sooner than they imagine.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post

Different screen name, same comprehension.

DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
"Seems" reasonable... but it's not.

The repeal of the Medical Device Tax is just another effort at defunding the PPACA and the only purpose of the delay is to buy time for the republicans to kill the law entirely.

The democrats should -- and will -- reject this Trojan horse.
Why should the elderly, disabled, and the sick pay higher taxes?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #37
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What the insiders are saying is that the smell of booze coming from the Boehner contingent is strong. When they come out of committee meetings, it smells like the local dive. Destroy America and party on! I guess that's their new slogan. A different kind of Taliban.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #38
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Why should the elderly, disabled, and the sick pay higher taxes?
didn't realise that the owners/CEOs of medical device companies were the elderly,disabled & the sick. thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #39
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
I would expect this to be obvious. What the repubs are hoping for is to delay the PPACA so they can have another year to bash it in the press and turn the public against it. Then, they hope, the dems can be pressured into repealing it.

If they don't get that done a year from now they'll demand another year delay which will push it past the 2014 elections. If they can get control of Congress by then they hope it will make it even harder to implement the law. Ands if they don't get another delay they plan to stomp their little feet again and threaten to shut down the government.

The delay is yet another effort at repeal. Fairness has nothing to do with it.
Delaying the individual mandate has absolutely NO EFFECT on the rest of the bill. You still get your community rating, expansion of Medicaid, free birth control, etc. ad nauseam.

The latest bill passed by the House is a compromise which simply wouldn't force people to buy insurance. Obama and Reid are not being honest when they say otherwise.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
And you likened his skin color to your excrement. Your "contributions" to this forum are devoid of inspiration and intellect.

Please do us all a favor, try to post something constructive for once.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #41
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Our form of government was not designed to be run from the House. There have been many times in history where some political cabal in the House thought they could pull the levers of power. It's always ended in disaster. Last one to try it was Gingrich. Obama has no choice but to slam the door shut on this bull****. Not just for himself, but for the executive office.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #42
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
And you likened his skin color to your excrement.
Only if I eat a LOT of carrots, to get that orangey tinge, like Boehner's face.

One would think he could afford a decent fake bake.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Our form of government was not designed to be run from the House. There have been many times in history where some political cabal in the House thought they could pull the levers of power. It's always ended in disaster. Last one to try it was Gingrich. Obama has no choice but to slam the door shut on this bull****. Not just for himself, but for the executive office.
That's actually a really good point. The conservatives on this board have time and time again pointed out how "if Obama does X" he'll open the door for future presidents to do the same. For example, selective enforcement.

This works both ways. If he doesn't stand up to the House, what sort of precedent do you think this will set? Do you think the GOP will control the House forever? Do you enjoy the prospect of having the House determine policy if/when another GOP candidate ever gets into the White House? Moreover, do you realistically think Obama is going to let that happen for that reason alone, not to mention the fact that he's said time and time again he's not going to alter his signature piece of (legally passed, Supreme Court vetted, election-survived) legislation.

This, all over and above the fact that they're demanding a compromise from something that was already a compromise to begin with.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #44
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

This is a very dangerous precedent and there will be retribution if and when the shoe is on the other foot. Bad move by our House members.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #45
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Our form of government was not designed to be run from the House.
Actually, it was. The House has the purse strings. That was an intentional design.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
That's actually a really good point. The conservatives on this board have time and time again pointed out how "if Obama does X" he'll open the door for future presidents to do the same. For example, selective enforcement.

This works both ways. If he doesn't stand up to the House, what sort of precedent do you think this will set? Do you think the GOP will control the House forever? Do you enjoy the prospect of having the House determine policy if/when another GOP candidate ever gets into the White House? Moreover, do you realistically think Obama is going to let that happen for that reason alone, not to mention the fact that he's said time and time again he's not going to alter his signature piece of (legally passed, Supreme Court vetted, election-survived) legislation.

This, all over and above the fact that they're demanding a compromise from something that was already a compromise to begin with.
I would love to see the Democrats try to do something to limit spending in the House. That would be wonderful.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I would love to see the Democrats try to do something to limit spending in the House. That would be wonderful.
Cute, but completely missing the point.

SoCal at least is acknowledging the pandora's box being opened by practicing this form of "governing".

But, as I said...the Democrats hold all the cards here, so it's kind of a moot point.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Since when is it considered proper governance to threaten to destroy economy in order to get your way in a negotiation? Negotiation is about finding common ground and making concessions, and the leverage used should be in the form of supporting various causes in exchange for support in others. Holding a gun to the country's head in exchange for concessions is destructive to the entire political process, and just a mind-blowingly awful way to approach negotiation.

The only thing I can imagine is that this whole thing is either a spotlight grabbing and fundraising charade, or they truly don't care if they burn the entire process down in exchange for 100% of what they want.

They are either going to go right up to the brink and then back down (looking like this whole thing was a sham from the start anyway), or they are truly going to disrupt the government and there will be a significant backlash when the stock market plunges in the aftermath. Either way, this is terrible political strategy for the GOP. Great if you're trying to sell books and raise money for 2014 from your base, I guess, but it's a huge gamble with very little upside. There's no way the President would sign a bill gutting his top domestic achievement right before it starts, and they don't have anywhere close to the number of votes in the Senate.

Last edited by Mr.Meanie; 09-29-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
This is a very dangerous precedent and there will be retribution if and when the shoe is on the other foot. Bad move by our House members.
Hehe.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Cute, but completely missing the point.

SoCal at least is acknowledging the pandora's box being opened by practicing this form of "governing".

But, as I said...the Democrats hold all the cards here, so it's kind of a moot point.
Make my day.

Go ahead, shut down the government. Great way to reduce the deficit, and great way to reduce the liability of future generations. Shut it down for the whole year if you want (or longer). Time to start paying down some of that debt. The American people DO NOT NEED the US government.

The House holds the purse strings, and all their asking for is a delay in forcing all Americans to purchase insurance (the entire law is a train wreck right now anyway). So no, the Democrats do not hold all the cards. The US government was specifically designed to provide checks and balances, while limiting the power of the federal government. That's exactly what is happening here.