The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
With the exception of the one play that was the best performance by a backup left tackle I've seen.
Nearly all of the time (I would guess 75-80%+ of the pass plays) he had a TE and/or a RB behind him to help. That one play was one of the few times he was left alone.

He wasnt terrible but I will certainly be more concerned when we face an elite DE.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Nearly all of the time (I would guess 75-80%+ of the pass plays) he had a TE and/or a RB behind him to help. That one play was one of the few times he was left alone.

He wasnt terrible but I will certainly be more concerned when we face an elite DE.
Don't get me wrong, he is no Clady. But I expected worlds worse play. He was serviceable. They also ran tons of TE sets for the majority of the second half to run the ball. Wouldn't say it was all because of him.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Not my words but his...

Clark said his aim right now is to make sure the Broncos' Super Bowl aspirations aren't derailed because of Clady's injury.

"No one wants to be that guy," Clark said.

He had a solid game tonight. Only giving up 1 sack which led to a fumble. Something Clady allowed once in 1,110 snaps. THUS the thread title...Clady v. Clark.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 09-23-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He just needs to hold the guy in that case. Overall they didn't leave a tight end over there very often. Clark played pretty well.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
Jekyll15Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Don't get me wrong, he is no Clady. But I expected worlds worse play. He was serviceable. They also ran tons of TE sets for the majority of the second half to run the ball. Wouldn't say it was all because of him.
I am only looking at the pass plays. I didnt keep a specific count but I remember because I was explaining it to someone who I was watching the game with and each time we saw PFM in the gun or some other obvious passing formation, he had help.

And I OK with it. He wasnt a disaster and would think he will only get better with more reps and more confidence that he can hold his own.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think Clark was solid. You gotta give the guy a little bit of a break. 1st game in there. I'd really have to go back and watch it again and pay more attention to him to grade his overall game.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He just needs to hold the guy in that case. Overall they didn't leave a tight end over there very often. Clark played pretty well.
Yeah I didn't see him getting any special treatment to be honest. He was getting about as much help as Clady would've gotten. I really don't get what Jekyll was watching.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
Jekyll15Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That isnt what I recall seeing. But I am also counting when they had an RB to do the same job. He wasnt alone often.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #34
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I think Clark was solid. You gotta give the guy a little bit of a break. 1st game in there. I'd really have to go back and watch it again and pay more attention to him to grade his overall game.
It is really only one guy, the other criticism was more saying its expected. But a thread call out is full retard. You never go full retard.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Good point. And at that point in the game, and at that place of the field, more conservative play calling there was probably warranted. A pass is OK, but protection of Manning should have taken priority.
I think Peyton held it too long, and didn't move up in the pocket - Clark was beat on a speed rush, but he forced him far enough in the back field that Peyton could have moved up and avoided it - stuff for film study.
That said, I REALLY like Gase's tendency to be a little unconventional in his playcalling while salting away the clock - McCoy didn't do that and it cost us down the stretch last year. Twice this year I've seen quick posts to WRs for first downs when we are trying to kill clock - that is a move in the right direction.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
It is really only one guy, the other criticism was more saying its expected. But a thread call out is full retard. You never go full retard.
His first start back and Oh nooz a thread 'call out'...of all the things in this world that are wrong...this is #1.

Manning’s blindside was protected by left tackle Chris Clark, who started his first game in place of All-Pro Ryan Clady, who went on injured reserve with a foot injury earlier this week.

Manning said he’d know more after watching the tape, but was pleased by the Clark’s effort.

I haven’t seen the film yet , but I thought Chris was sharp,” Manning said. “He was on top of all the checks. There were no mental issues with him. He’ll just get better each game throughout the season.”
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

aside from 2 plays, i didn't notice Clark, and that is the highest compliment you can give an OL.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #38
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
His first start back and Oh nooz a thread 'call out'...of all the things in this world that are wrong...this is #1.

Manning’s blindside was protected by left tackle Chris Clark, who started his first game in place of All-Pro Ryan Clady, who went on injured reserve with a foot injury earlier this week.

Manning said he’d know more after watching the tape, but was pleased by the Clark’s effort.

I haven’t seen the film yet , but I thought Chris was sharp,” Manning said. “He was on top of all the checks. There were no mental issues with him. He’ll just get better each game throughout the season.”
Well clearly when he sees the film, maybe you will have one other person who may agree with you... but lets be honest, you won't.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #39
Jekyll15Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yeah I didn't see him getting any special treatment to be honest. He was getting about as much help as Clady would've gotten. I really don't get what Jekyll was watching.
I just zipped through the 1st half on DVR again. The only series where the majority of passing plays didnt have a TE or RB help was the first series. After that, at least half or more of the passing plays in each series did have help but I was definitely wrong to call it 75-80%. And with it being so close to half overall, its not really a tendency.

I guess it was just when I was observing it and how it was sticking in my mind. I would say that the tendency was strong there on obvious passing down like 3rd and 5+. Most often an RB at Manning's left.

Ironically, all 3 TD passes did not have any help. And looking at the running plays, when there was no TE over there to help Clark, it seemed like they wanted to run to weak side a little more often than the strong side.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #40
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

good game or bad game, he can't be letting guys run scottfree through Peyton's back like he did. At least get a hand on the guy, hell, tackle the ****er. I'll take a 15 yard penalty over the QB getting smoked.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #41
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Clark had a very good game. Yes he gave up a sack to Houston and had another mistake in the 4th when Houston side stepped him inside.

The point is the offense can work with him and didn't drastically alter their plan with him the game.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #42
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think the thing that can be said is the Raider DE is pretty ordinary. We will see much better DE's down the road, including against KC, and this guy better have his mind right.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #43
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I think the thing that can be said is the Raider DE is pretty ordinary. We will see much better DE's down the road, including against KC, and this guy better have his mind right.
Who Lamarr Houston? He was matched up most of the night against Clark and is very good DE with Clark holding his own, redirecting, punching and counter punching very well.

I agree that we'll see more flat out speed rushers down the line and it remains to be seen how Clark does against that type of DE but so far in a pretty big test he showed enough power and mobility to get the job done.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #44
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The nerve wracking part is seeing Manning take these blindside hits. Just can't let that happen.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #45
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

He made some mistakes, and had quite a bit of help. Houston is an above average DE. It was a better performance than I expected. Will be interesting to see how he does against some of the better DEs. Broncos will have to have somebody chip on any 3+ drop when they face Ware type DEs.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #46
frozenconcentratedorange
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von's Urine

I'd say Michael Vick would bite your arm off to get Clark protecting his blindside
frozenconcentratedorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #47
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenconcentratedorange View Post
I'd say Michael Vick would bite your arm off to get Clark protecting his blindside
Haha. Great point!
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #48
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

The Raiders are pretty good on defense until that bit of surgery last night.

Clark did really well for his first game. I recall that he was alone many times and one mistake while it could have cost us big, didn't.

Can you enjoy a blowout of the hated Raiders?
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote