The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #126
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,077
Default

Ted Cruz may even be a better candidate than Rubio. Time will tell.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #127
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Rubio would be same age as Obama during entering 1st term (47). He would also have the support of the fiscal conservative base, he's extremely personable, smart, and photogenic.

Perfect candidate to beat Hillary Clinton.
Why would he have the support of the fiscal base? I don't see it. He'll have to out-flank Paul to get that set, and he's not done anything of note to manage it. His big accomplishment to date is to anger the right with his immigration stance, and then tucking tail and hiding when the waters got too rough.

Rubio as a presidential candidate is such a long shot right now that I have a hard time seeing how he manages to get his name back into the picture without simply forcing the issue by showing up.

The way I see it, Rubio's campaign would end up a lot like Rick Perry's campaign ended up. Rubio is like Obama in that there's not a lot of substance there, but he looks pretty doing it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #128
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Here's the dilemma the Republicans have: How do you run as a fringe radical in the primary (in order to win the psycho base) and then veer back toward the center to win in a general election. You have to eat babies in the primary and they declare you're a vegan in the general.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #129
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Why would he have the support of the fiscal base? I don't see it. He'll have to out-flank Paul to get that set, and he's not done anything of note to manage it. His big accomplishment to date is to anger the right with his immigration stance, and then tucking tail and hiding when the waters got too rough.

Rubio as a presidential candidate is such a long shot right now that I have a hard time seeing how he manages to get his name back into the picture without simply forcing the issue by showing up.

The way I see it, Rubio's campaign would end up a lot like Rick Perry's campaign ended up. Rubio is like Obama in that there's not a lot of substance there, but he looks pretty doing it.
I don't know much about Rand Paul yet. I would have much rather voted for his dad.

Rubio's stance on immigration is by no means a 'show-stopper'. Garnering Latino support is imperative for any winning Republican Presidential campaign.

I'd vote for Cruz, Ryan, Rubio, or Paul.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #130
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Who was Romney's running mate? I forget now. He went poof!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #131
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here's the dilemma the Republicans have: How do you run as a fringe radical in the primary (in order to win the psycho base) and then veer back toward the center to win in a general election. You have to eat babies in the primary and they declare you're a vegan in the general.
It's funny how you radical Socialists keep using these words in an attempt to paint your opponents, who only want to preserve the American dream, and improve the greatest democracy the world has ever seen.

The only extremists here are you. Hell bent on 'transforming' the US into an unworkable, corrupt, and bankrupt cesspool.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #132
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It's funny how you radical Socialists keep using these words in an attempt to paint your opponents, who only want to preserve the American dream, and improve the greatest democracy the world has ever seen.

The only extremists here are you. Hell bent on 'transforming' the US into an unworkable, corrupt, and bankrupt cesspool.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #133
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here's the dilemma the Republicans have: How do you run as a fringe radical in the primary (in order to win the psycho base) and then veer back toward the center to win in a general election. You have to eat babies in the primary and they declare you're a vegan in the general.
This is the long and short of it. It disincentives our best candidates.
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #134
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,077
Default

pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #135
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Looks like TJ's hero doesn't even agree with him.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ant/?hpt=hp_t2

Rand Paul on Obamacare: Democrats will get what they want

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #136
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Looks like TJ's hero doesn't even agree with him.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ant/?hpt=hp_t2

Rand Paul on Obamacare: Democrats will get what they want

I actually agree with everything he said there. Getting the defund bill past the Senate will be a huge task that likely won't happen - certainly not this time around. That doesn't change the long term strategy that Cruz seems to have set up. Whatever anyone thinks about the bit of theatre this week, it's clear that Cruz is playing the long game on this one.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #137
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Christie/Susana Martinez

Hillary/Cory Booker

Lock it up. It'll be close. Christie is the only R that has a legitimate chance of sinking the SS Clinton machine.

No way the establishment Eastern Wall Street money Republicans will let a Rand Paul or Cruz get the nomination. If by some unlikely circumstance that it does happen, we're talking about Barry Goldwater in 64 levels of fail. Also, I have about as much of a chance of being Senate Majority leader as Ted Cruz does.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #138
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Christie/Susana Martinez

Hillary/Cory Booker

Lock it up. It'll be close. Christie is the only R that has a legitimate chance of sinking the SS Clinton machine.

No way the establishment Eastern Wall Street money Republicans will let a Rand Paul or Cruz get the nomination. If by some unlikely circumstance that it does happen, we're talking about Barry Goldwater in 64 levels of fail. Also, I have about as much of a chance of being Senate Majority leader as Ted Cruz does.
I don't think it will be Booker. Not yet, anyway. Though, with Clinton on the ticket, it won't much matter. Especially against anyone not named Christie.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #139
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I don't think it will be Booker. Not yet, anyway. Though, with Clinton on the ticket, it won't much matter. Especially against anyone not named Christie.
I think the Dems might try to Brock Osweiler him under Hillary for a couple of terms, but you're right. His lack of big stage experience might eliminate him from contention.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #140
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

If after all that's happened, and what's happening now, the Dems run Clinton, especially with income inequality this bad, it means they've learned nothing, they intend to do nothing except support the status quo, and they deserve no one's support. They sure as hell won't get mine.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #141
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If after all that's happened, and what's happening now, the Dems run Clinton, especially with income inequality this bad, it means they've learned nothing, they intend to do nothing except support the status quo, and they deserve no one's support. They sure as hell won't get mine.
This sentiment is exactly why Hillary has no chance to win the nomination, let alone the election. The Democrat party is on the cusp of their own civil war much like the Republicans are experiencing. They are now where the Republicans were in 2007.

Hillary Clinton is seen as poison by half of the Democrat base.

Camille Paglia: “It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton is our party’s best chance”
As a registered Democrat, I am praying for a credible presidential candidate to emerge from the younger tier of politicians in their late 40s. A governor with executive experience would be ideal. It’s time to put my baby-boom generation out to pasture! We’ve had our day and managed to muck up a hell of a lot. It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton (born the same year as me) is our party’s best chance. She has more sooty baggage than a 90-car freight train. And what exactly has she ever accomplished — beyond bullishly covering for her philandering husband? She’s certainly busy, busy and ever on the move — with the tunnel-vision workaholism of someone trying to blot out uncomfortable private thoughts.

As far as I’m concerned, Hillary disqualified herself for the presidency in that fist-pounding moment at a congressional hearing when she said, “What difference does it make what we knew and when we knew it, Senator?” Democrats have got to shake off the Clinton albatross and find new blood.
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/cami...s_best_chance/

Last edited by Taco John; 09-21-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #142
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If after all that's happened, and what's happening now, the Dems run Clinton, especially with income inequality this bad, it means they've learned nothing, they intend to do nothing except support the status quo, and they deserve no one's support. They sure as hell won't get mine.
That may be the case, but we're talking realistically here. You are in the vast minority of people who, when it comes down to it, won't vote for "their" candidate.

I personally don't believe that all the people who say I voted for Ron Paul/Gary Johnson/Whoever the **** actually do...which is why those candidates end up with a sliver of a percent of the vote. If I had more faith in that, I would throw my vote behind someone I agree with closer to 100% ideologically.

However, since we've been talking about basic facts in several threads here today, the basic fact is that we are in a two party system. My first criterium for a candidate is that they are in favor of opening up the voter rolls, not closing them, as I believe the right to vote is the most important right we have remaining. That automatically negates the Republican party, based on their actions for the past several years (decades). At the moment, that only leaves the Democratic party to ensure that the Republicans don't gain power.

I'm pretty sure you and I had this exact same conversation leading up to the election.

If Libertarians could divorce themselves from the economic ideology that taxes = bad, I could easily support a Libertarian candidate. But that, much like Democrats growing backbones or Republicans not basing themselves entirely on leaving out whole segments of the population, is never going to happen.

Least worst for me. I vote on reality, not a hope and a prayer.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #143
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,077
Default

Anybody who thinks Hillary Clinton won't be the Democrat nominee for President in 2016 is plain smoking rocks.

After Obama, nobody stirs up the liberal base better than Hillary Clinton. Why? Because she's a woman.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #144
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The most inexpensive, and efficient health care system will always be two party patient-doctor transactions where the individual takes responsibility for payment with pre-tax HSA's that can be used for education, healthcare, and retirement.

Based on what evidence?





Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Anybody who thinks Hillary Clinton won't be the Democrat nominee for President in 2016 is plain smoking rocks.

After Obama, nobody stirs up the liberal base better than Hillary Clinton. Why? Because she's a woman.

Just because you judge people by their gender/race (which you are doing right now) doesn't mean other people do as well.

Examples: Democrats aren't going to vote for Michelle Bachmann. Ralph Nader earned more votes as a green party candidate than Jill Stein. There have been zero women US presidents in history.

This is similar to the debunked racist claim that people voted for Obama "'cause he's black" - when statistic modeling shows that Obama would have earned at least 2% more of the vote had he been white.

Last edited by Blart; 09-22-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #145
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Christie/Susana Martinez

Hillary/Cory Booker

Lock it up. It'll be close. Christie is the only R that has a legitimate chance of sinking the SS Clinton machine.

No way the establishment Eastern Wall Street money Republicans will let a Rand Paul or Cruz get the nomination. If by some unlikely circumstance that it does happen, we're talking about Barry Goldwater in 64 levels of fail. Also, I have about as much of a chance of being Senate Majority leader as Ted Cruz does.
Christie doesn't have a prayer in the primaries.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #146
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Christie doesn't have a prayer in the primaries.
We'll see. It depends on if the banksters and 1 percent power structure want a Republican candidate that can actually win. Paul or Cruz would get absolutely eviscerated in the general. If they do want an R to win, they'll be unprecedented corporate primary money behind Christie. Balance him with a popular Hispanic Western female governor like Martinez and they have a real shot.

My guess is that even though Wall Street made out pretty well under Obama's "Socialist" lolerz policies, they'd prefer Christie over Hilldawg.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #147
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
We'll see. It depends on if the banksters and 1 percent power structure want a Republican candidate that can actually win. Paul or Cruz would get absolutely eviscerated in the general. If they do want an R to win, they'll be unprecedented corporate primary money behind Christie. Balance him with a popular Hispanic Western female governor like Martinez and they have a real shot.

My guess is that even though Wall Street made out pretty well under Obama's "Socialist" lolerz policies, they'd prefer Christie over Hilldawg.
It is telling that of the only three candidates anyone is talking about, Cruz and Christie are getting blasted by their own party and wouldn't win the nomination, and the other would end up losing in one of the most lopsided elections ever.

Rand is not his dad; he sold his soul to the Republicans, which means he won't get the youth vote. Just who do people think will vote for this guy?

But you're right...and I think it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about national issues. He's stayed pretty quiet so far.

Last edited by houghtam; 09-22-2013 at 05:57 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #148
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,044

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This sentiment is exactly why Hillary has no chance to win the nomination, let alone the election. The Democrat party is on the cusp of their own civil war much like the Republicans are experiencing. They are now where the Republicans were in 2007.

Hillary Clinton is seen as poison by half of the Democrat base.

Camille Paglia: “It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton is our party’s best chance”
As a registered Democrat, I am praying for a credible presidential candidate to emerge from the younger tier of politicians in their late 40s. A governor with executive experience would be ideal. It’s time to put my baby-boom generation out to pasture! We’ve had our day and managed to muck up a hell of a lot. It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton (born the same year as me) is our party’s best chance. She has more sooty baggage than a 90-car freight train. And what exactly has she ever accomplished — beyond bullishly covering for her philandering husband? She’s certainly busy, busy and ever on the move — with the tunnel-vision workaholism of someone trying to blot out uncomfortable private thoughts.

As far as I’m concerned, Hillary disqualified herself for the presidency in that fist-pounding moment at a congressional hearing when she said, “What difference does it make what we knew and when we knew it, Senator?” Democrats have got to shake off the Clinton albatross and find new blood.
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/cami...s_best_chance/
BS it's why every pundit viewed hillary as the largest figure in the room with rethugs looking small. she handed them their asses in that congressional hearing. the only people looking at it any differently are the ones with a sore ass over it.
fact is,there is no civil war brewing in the demacratic party,if hillary decides to run she'll sail through the primaries and get the nomination. It's not harry reid or nancy pelosi that are getting embarrassed like john boehner or getting challenged in his primary like Mitch McConnell. With rethugs attacking ted cruz and john boehners inability to lead his own party it's no surprise that they try deflect from it. there's a civil war going on and it is not in the dem party.

BTW,if rethugs & conservatives truely believed that hillary wouldn't make out of the primaries they wouldn't already be forming super pacs to run against her. they are trying to use the terry Mccauluff/ cucinelli governors race as a proxy to attack clinton and it failing miserably.

Last edited by peacepipe; 09-22-2013 at 07:53 PM..
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #149
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
fact is,there is no civil war brewing in the demacratic party...
If you say so...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #150
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,044

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
If you say so...
where is it? have you noticed what's been going on with reps and the tea party wing of their party
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Denver Broncos