The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #76
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Tackles for a loss should become an official stat. That would help depreciate the value of a sack a little bit, because any negative play is a win for the defense, and a players should be measured statistically through positive impact plays.
Whole-heartedly agree. It would definitely reshape how we value LOS defenders, as well, and I think it would be a very positive shift.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #77
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Whole-heartedly agree. It would definitely reshape how we value LOS defenders, as well, and I think it would be a very positive shift.
I agree, I have never liked the blurry line when it comes to distinguishing tackles for loss on the QB and sacks. Having an official negative play stat would be very nice and would eliminate the high variability between different reporting websites when it comes to tackles for loss.

For LOS defenders, having two categories - negative plays and no-gain plays would be very nice. In negative plays you have tackles for loss, sacks and fumbles recovered (and interceptions if any) and in no-gain plays you have passes defended, tackles for no gain and fumbles forced (the idea being that a forced fumble is not a definite negative play since the offense can recover the ball but it does stop forward progress).
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #78
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I wonder if NFL stat guys keep track of this and don't share the info because its not "sexy"...

I know they have basically an NFL facebook where players are graded and put on the block... so why not hidden stats fans arent privy to?
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #79
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I wonder if NFL stat guys keep track of this and don't share the info because its not "sexy"...

I know they have basically an NFL facebook where players are graded and put on the block... so why not hidden stats fans arent privy to?
No, the more things to keep track of the more they need to pay. That is why each team has their own stat guys to keep track during games. I believe most people use stats inc, which is pretty well respected.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #80
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
No, the more things to keep track of the more they need to pay. That is why each team has their own stat guys to keep track during games. I believe most people use stats inc, which is pretty well respected.
doubt money is the reason they wouldnt do something like this to get an edge.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #81
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This is the guy Sheepstud was insisting is better than Von. I would argue most of Houston's sacks have come in one game.
After his struggles in the first half of his rookie year, he's got 22 sacks in his last 19 games.

Suck it Gaylore.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #82
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Chiefs are going to have to say goodbye to Hali in a few years, to be able to afford Houston's salary
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #83
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
After his struggles in the first half of his rookie year, he's got 22 sacks in his last 19 games.

Suck it Gaylore.
Congratulations?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #84
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandftw View Post
Chiefs are going to have to say goodbye to Hali in a few years, to be able to afford Houston's salary
Nope. Tamba gets paid a lot this year but it goes down a significantly after that.

The time to sign Houston will be this offseason.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #85
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Nope. Tamba gets paid a lot this year but it goes down a significantly after that.

So did they end up letting you marry her or not?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #86
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I don't think they can resign Houston until one more year. Players aren't allowed to restructure rookie deals, until after the 3rd year

And still a high cap number for Hali. $11.5 and $12 million the next 2 seasons. hard to see them be willing to go pay the $25 million they both are going to cost.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #87
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Houston sucks. He's not even average.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #88
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Houston sucks. He's not even average.
I'm right along with you in hating the Chiefs, but you're kidding about Houston, right? Better than Von? lol no. But he can play a little.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #89
CEH
Ring of Famer

They do keep track of impact plays. Whatever that definition is for the team they compile and analyzed plays every angle and configuration.

I have mentioned this several times but I will miss Von's play behind the LOS as much as his sacks.

When he turns a 2nd and 3 into 3rd and 6 becuase he drops the runner 3 yards behind the LOS that is a major win and the dude has a knack for doing it at key moments
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #90
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm right along with you in hating the Chiefs, but you're kidding about Houston, right? Better than Von? lol no. But he can play a little.
Yeah I'm just blowing smoke op Sheeptstud's ass. This dude couldn't wait to run over here and tell me how awesome Houston is. I imagine it has been eating at him all year.

I have to dude on ignore and can get him wound out better than any of the Chief trolls on here.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #91
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandftw View Post
they will be able to sign him if they continue to ignore the QB position
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #92
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What is interesting to me is that Houston and Poe obviously have a lot of sacks, but relatively few other pressures compared to other players. When they rush the passer, they either get a sack or have zero impact on the play. Hali is the opposite, he leads the league in pressures, but only has one sack.

Or, maybe it's not interesting. I'm not sure.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #93
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
What is interesting to me is that Houston and Poe obviously have a lot of sacks, but relatively few other pressures compared to other players. When they rush the passer, they either get a sack or have zero impact on the play. Hali is the opposite, he leads the league in pressures, but only has one sack.

Or, maybe it's not interesting. I'm not sure.
Hali seems to have an issue finishing the sack, but he clearly makes an impact. I can't for the life of me figure out why he whiffs on QBs so often.

As for Houston, the guy's a beast, pure and simple. I can honestly say I'd rather have Houston than Von at this point. I think Von's a better pure pass rusher, but Houston is incredibly versatile and does a great job dropping into coverage when he needs to. That type of thing confuses the hell out of offenses and has been a big part of our defense's success thus far.

Plus, he pays his speeding tickets.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #94
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

Like Jared Allen? ROFL.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #95
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Hali seems to have an issue finishing the sack, but he clearly makes an impact. I can't for the life of me figure out why he whiffs on QBs so often.

As for Houston, the guy's a beast, pure and simple. I can honestly say I'd rather have Houston than Von at this point. I think Von's a better pure pass rusher, but Houston is incredibly versatile and does a great job dropping into coverage when he needs to. That type of thing confuses the hell out of offenses and has been a big part of our defense's success thus far.

In my experience, playing football is absolutely the best way for a football player to make an impact.

I'd certainly rather have Von for 16 games than Houston, though.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #96
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
In my experience, playing football is absolutely the best way for a football player to make an impact.

I'd certainly rather have Von for 16 games than Houston, though.
Yep, and I wouldn't expect otherwise. Houston is what the Chiefs need right now, and Von is what the Broncos need. Well, want. They can obviously get by without him.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #97
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

I don't even need to look to know that KCitDoesn'tMatterWhatYourNameIS bump this thread.

Last edited by HILife; 09-20-2013 at 11:38 AM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #98
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post

Houston is overrated. He is an edge pass rusher and that is it. with the switch to the 3-4 he has been better setting the edge on run plays but even when he forces the play inside he falls off tackles and lets the RB through the hole which is one of the reasons kFc is so bad vs the run. Hali is even worse against the run.

Thursday night vs the Eagles Houston and Hali didn't show up in the game until after there was a double digit lead and Sutton (I think that is your DC's name) decided to let them just rush the passer.

McCoy and Vick both still had big yardage on the ground after that but Houston was able to get a couple sacks cleaning up Hali's wiffs.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #99
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Houston is overrated. He is an edge pass rusher and that is it. with the switch to the 3-4 he has been better setting the edge on run plays but even when he forces the play inside he falls off tackles and lets the RB through the hole which is one of the reasons kFc is so bad vs the run. Hali is even worse against the run.

Thursday night vs the Eagles Houston and Hali didn't show up in the game until after there was a double digit lead and Sutton (I think that is your DC's name) decided to let them just rush the passer.

McCoy and Vick both still had big yardage on the ground after that but Houston was able to get a couple sacks cleaning up Hali's wiffs.
Literally all of this is wrong.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #100
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Literally all of this is wrong.
Refute it, you can go back and look through the game thread, it backs up everything I have said about Houston and even Bowe.

Prove me otherwise.

264 yards rushing given up by your vaunted D.

Miller is much better vs the run than Houston and Hali put together.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote