The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How much does it hurt to Lose Clady?
None at all. We have PMFM! Super Bowl Champs! 6 9.38%
This could really bite us against the elite. Still a great shot to do well in playoffs 55 85.94%
We'll win the West, but may not win a playoff game 2 3.13%
We might not even win the West. We're doomed! 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default You knew it was coming...a Clady poll

How much of a blow is losing Clady? Vote!

Poll Coming
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

it only really sucks if we go against Seattle on San Fancisco. So I'll be cheering for GB lol
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Like Schlereth said, it will only hurt against the elite pass rushers.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You need to add one more option

* Yes it hurts us, he's one of the best in the league at his position. We tweak some thing but still win the Superbowl.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

We still got a shot if Duke signs Tebow.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

We can still win the Super Bowl without him. It's harder but we're still really good.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver is going to go from what was essentially zero sacks coming through left-tackle to whatever production is going to inevitably be a huge step down from that. It's a big deal and I expect the offense to tinker a bit to shore up Manning's blindside. Manning himself is still a wizard inside the pocket, but it's a lot easier to move around knowing your blindside is protected by a brickwall instead of a sieve.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Manning needs to get rid of the ball faster...this might force more robust tempo in the pocket which our wr's need.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
How much of a blow is losing Clady? Vote!

Poll Coming
Pssst

The vote is Req!

Don't tell him.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

I personally think the only player that kills hopes of a SB win is an elite QB. If you lose that, you may well lose any chance at winning the SB. Although Clady is an amazing player, it's not like he is going to be replaced with a potato. He gets plays off so quickly that he may only see one or two times a game where he has to throw it away prematurely. I don't think it's a dream-killer by any stretch of the imagination.

If we lose a few more franchise players due to injury, then ok, the cumulative effect may hurt us. But we'll actually be getting players back, and probably will be better off come the playoffs as long as we stay healthy.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
I personally think the only player that kills hopes of a SB win is an elite QB. If you lose that, you may well lose any chance at winning the SB. Although Clady is an amazing player, it's not like he is going to be replaced with a potato. He gets plays off so quickly that he may only see one or two times a game where he has to throw it away prematurely. I don't think it's a dream-killer by any stretch of the imagination.

If we lose a few more franchise players due to injury, then ok, the cumulative effect may hurt us. But we'll actually be getting players back, and probably will be better off come the playoffs as long as we stay healthy.
Yep.

He will be missed and they will have to make adjustments to shore up protection.

I do wonder about the timing of the Clark extension. I wonder if the staff thinks he will be able to handle the job and wanted to lock him up cheap either not to have to pay him legit money next year or to use as trade bait.

We will have to see Clark perform at a high level 1st but this is as bad as I want this year to get.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The biggest thing that will help us at this point is the continued commitment to the run game. It's funny to say that Knowshon could be the key to our O-line success. Our quick passing game shouldn't miss a beat, but if defenses don't respect the run, our deep passing game could suffer.

We need our run game to keep rolling in order to keep demolishing teams in the sans-Clady era.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We've got some damn good coaches on this team, not to mention PM himself. We'll scheme around this.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

The value of the left tackle is all of the sudden getting overstated. It's an important position, but now it's the most important position outside of QB? I'd like to see someone come up with a list of Super Bowl Winners and their corresponding elite LTs. Ryan Clady is one of the only elite LTs in the league that's playing for a good team.

It's a blow, no doubt. Perfect storm, against an elite pass rusher that Clark can't handle, it could contribute to a playoff loss. But it wouldn't be the sole reason.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The value of the left tackle is all of the sudden getting overstated. It's an important position, but now it's the most important position outside of QB?
Based on this:
Quote:
...executive vice president of football operations John Elway has routinely said he believes quarterback, left tackle and edge rusher are foundation positions in roster-building.
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...aybook-remains

...and this:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

...Elway/Broncos FO clearly think it's one of the top 2-3 positions.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Based on this:
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...aybook-remains

...and this:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

...Elway/Broncos FO clearly think it's one of the top 2-3 positions.
Does everything have to be black and white? How about gray areas? No dispute it is an important position. But does an injury at the position torpedo Super Bowl hopes? I don't think you could make a good case for that looking at Super Bowl winners.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

...executive vice president of football operations John Elway has routinely said he believes quarterback, left tackle and edge rusher are foundation positions in roster-building.

I think the entire league believes in this, unless they're running the read option, maybe.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

17%.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
...does an injury at the position torpedo Super Bowl hopes?
No, not necessarily. But I think some people underestimate how important Ryan Clady was for the Broncos and how huge this loss is. The Broncos are still going to be a very good football team, but you have to be both good and catch some breaks to win the Lombardi. Hopefully this just bends them but doesn't break them.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Any chance we could trade for Joe Thomas? Sounds like sh-t is up for sale over there...

Back to the matter at hand, win division, win 1 play off game, gonna be tough in the AFC Championship..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Can't disagree with them, though I can't shake the opinion that a dominant wideout like Demaryius Thomas may have greater value than even an all-pro LT. If you had to lose one for the year, Clady or D Thomas, which would you choose?

Obviously there is a case to make for Clady having more value, but Thomas is an entire dimension of the offense (as are guys like AJ Green, Johnson, Marshall, Julio Jones).
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
If you had to lose one for the year, Clady or D Thomas, which would you choose?
DT. What DT does is more visible and flashy and exciting, but what Clady does is more important. And that's why LT's are generally drafted higher and paid more than WR.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Can't disagree with them, though I can't shake the opinion that a dominant wideout like Demaryius Thomas may have greater value than even an all-pro LT. If you had to lose one for the year, Clady or D Thomas, which would you choose?

Obviously there is a case to make for Clady having more value, but Thomas is an entire dimension of the offense (as are guys like AJ Green, Johnson, Marshall, Julio Jones).
It seems to me based on the idea of the ripple effect. The QB has the biggest effect. He initiates every offensive play. The entire offense ripples out from him. Then, he has to have protection. His blind side is the most critical area, so the ripple there is the LT protecting the QB is protecting the whole offense. It's like the number one concern in military movement is protecting your flank.

On D, the pass rush makes everything else better. A good pass rush makes for a better secondary and even for a better run D if your pass rush is good enough that you can scheme more man coverage. A WR is only one facet of the offense. If a team only has one good receiver, a good pass rush and double teaming can negate him. Not much ripple effect there. Plus, you have three or four receivers on the field on any given play.