The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #101
pricejj
jungle

I'll take Shaun Phillips at $1M any day of the week. Don't care about Dumervil anymore. Hyah hyah!! Let's ride!!!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #102
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Were any of Phillips' sacks before Oher went out? The backup was trash.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #103
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Backup or not, at least he took advantage of the opporutnites and mismatch. That's a large part of the game.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #104
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
No way they go 7-9 with that front 7. They're a playoff team, and probably a superbowl contender.
I think 7-9 is a distinct possibility. Their defense will probably be a top 10 unit, but they have no receiving threats and Flacco is overrated. They were 10-6 last year. Dropping to 7-9 seems quite possible to me.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #105
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Several times. I think Franklin was expecting the outside move and got caught off guard like the Jets tackle when Von threw him with one arm.
Hmm . . I didn't see it that way. Franklin either took him outside wide and out of the play or he got walked back a few feet but didn't give up a pressure.

Maybe you're thinking of two plays on either side of the half. The first one near the end of the 2nd when Doom was lined up wide outside of Thomas with Franklin inside and Thomas didn't chip but released straight and Moreno ended up pushing Doom towards Manning.

The 2nd right at the start of the third when Thomas again, completely got stood up and walked back by Doom. Franklin had the DT but it ended up like it was his fault because he tried at the last minute to help chip Doom.

Either way Franklin had a pretty good game both against Doom and Upshaw.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #106
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
No way they go 7-9 with that front 7. They're a playoff team, and probably a superbowl contender.
I sure don't think so. The ravens have no weapons on offense outside of Rice and Smith who is really a number 2 WR. Flacco is a slightly better Mark Sanchez. Their D isn't that great in the secondary either.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #107
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

S Phillips @ 1mil >> Doom @ 8.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #108
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Both Phillips and Ayers had a pretty good game. Phillips played less snaps but was effective and Ayers got a lot of pressures and I think one sack.

The biggest difference though, is that neither one of these guys has that explosive closing speed that really good pass rushers have like Doom in his prime. So overall we generated decent pressure and really didn't have to blitz a whole lot.

Also the Ravens went to 6 man fronts with a RB to stay at home and pass protect a lot when it was close, so you're not going to be effective rushing the QB there.

Doom went up against Franklin most of the game and had one sack with Thomas blocking him (poorly), but apart from that he had what one/two pressures the whole game?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #109
DENVERDUI55

Franklin had a pretty good game against Elvis. He got bull rushed a couple times but that is a terrible technique against Manning. Takes too long and Manning was getting rid of the ball before the rush could get there.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #110
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Both Phillips and Ayers had a pretty good game. Phillips played less snaps but was effective and Ayers got a lot of pressures and I think one sack.

The biggest difference though, is that neither one of these guys has that explosive closing speed that really good pass rushers have like Doom in his prime. So overall we generated decent pressure and really didn't have to blitz a whole lot.

Also the Ravens went to 6 man fronts with a RB to stay at home and pass protect a lot when it was close, so you're not going to be effective rushing the QB there.

Doom went up against Franklin most of the game and had one sack with Thomas blocking him (poorly), but apart from that he had what one/two pressures the whole game?
We blitzed a lot in this game.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #111
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Good riddence.

Over rated

Liability in the run game

Not worth $8m/yr...let alone $12m

I'd rather give Ayers a go. Here's my thinking. I believe we will have just as many sacks, QB pressures etc. this year as we did last. In JDR I trust.

Draft a stud rookie at #28 and plug him in and off we go.

No player should hold a team hostage for big money...unless they are super elite. Doom...Nope....that's not him!
This is the way I felt when you posted this in March. It has never bothered me losing Doom. Yes, I would have preferred to keep him and not worry about the position but as far as talent I didn't think it hurt the Broncos as much as others who I felt described him as more than what he was. He was a good player, not a great player. Yes he had 9 sacks last year. Tebow won a playoff game. Big Whoop. Shaun Phillips compared to him, last night, proved that.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #112
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I'd still take doom. We're not going knock their starting RT out of the game every Sunday. That had a lot to do with Phillips' success.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #113
BroncsCheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
This is the way I felt when you posted this in March. It has never bothered me losing Doom. Yes, I would have preferred to keep him and not worry about the position but as far as talent I didn't think it hurt the Broncos as much as others who I felt described him as more than what he was. He was a good player, not a great player. Yes he had 9 sacks last year. Tebow won a playoff game. Big Whoop. Shaun Phillips compared to him, last night, proved that.
This was so good until the non sequitur
Why use that player in... Sorry, carry on
Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #114
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I sure don't think so. The ravens have no weapons on offense outside of Rice and Smith who is really a number 2 WR. Flacco is a slightly better Mark Sanchez. Their D isn't that great in the secondary either.
Agree with some of this, but I think you're underrating Flacco a little comparing him to Sanchez. He's better than that. Having no Boldin or Pitta, and then losing Jones, really hurt him last night. That and a lot of drops.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #115
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Your equation is missing a few million in dead cap money. The real question is what we gained this year outside of some Bowlen scotch slush by watching Doom walk. Is this defense better or worse because of it?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #116
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree with some of this, but I think you're underrating Flacco a little comparing him to Sanchez. He's better than that. Having no Boldin or Pitta, and then losing Jones, really hurt him last night. That and a lot of drops.
I don't see how. Did you watch all the throws he made that night? Almost could have inserted Sanchez and the result would have been pretty similar. Good QBs don't look like dog **** because they lose WR's or TE's. Look at Manning and Brady.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #117
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
Almost could have inserted Sanchez and the result would have been pretty similar.
lol no. Just no. 5 drops for the Ravens in that game, Flacco's mistakes mostly in large deficit desperation mode. Remember the mistakes Manning made in the Ravens playoff loss? Is Sanchez as good as him, too? Come on, bro. Let's not jude a guy by one game. He did throw for 362 yards against us.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #118
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
lol no. Just no. 5 drops for the Ravens in that game, Flacco's mistakes mostly in large deficit desperation mode. Remember the mistakes Manning made in the Ravens playoff loss? Is Sanchez as good as him, too? Come on, bro. Let's not jude a guy by one game. He did throw for 362 yards against us.
I've always called Joe Flaccid a slightly better Sanchez. Even last year in the playoff game hit hit 3 or 4 throws but missed the same amount. He got almost all his yardage in a couple plays. This last game he really threw several dog crap throws that easily could of went for 6 pts the other way. I love it his contract will handcuff that team down the road.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #119
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I'd never call Flacco Sanchez by any stretch. But Joe overthrew quite a few receivers Thursday night. And looked genuinely frustrated that the old jump ball wasn't working out the way it did during his streak. When he was forced to throw short and tight, he made some pretty ****ty throws and bad mistakes.

It's gonna be a very long season for him if he thinks the things he did during that playoff run will continue to work forever.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #120
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I'd never call Flacco Sanchez by any stretch. But Joe overthrew quite a few receivers Thursday night. And looked genuinely frustrated that the old jump ball wasn't working out the way it did during his streak. When he was forced to throw short and tight, he made some pretty ****ty throws and bad mistakes.

It's gonna be a very long season for him if he thinks the things he did during that playoff run will continue to work forever.
Agree completely with this. He's not remotely a top 5 QB. But to say he's not much better than Sanchez is silly.