The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Peytonís retirement plans arenít tied to winning another Super Bowl

Asked recently whether quarterback Peyton Manning would retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl this year, executive V.P. of football operations John Elway said he hopes thatís a bridge theyíll have to cross.

From Manningís perspective, walking off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy under his arm (like Elway did) doesnít seem to be a priority.

ďItís really not,Ē Manning told Erik Kuselias of NBCSNís Pro Football Talk regarding whether the quarterbackís retirement is tied to winning another title. ĒI really have no idea how much longer Iíll play. In the 2011 season, I wasnít sure if I was going to be able to play again. I had a very strange injury. I had different doctors that just couldnít give me any type of definite timetable or any guarantee, and when youíre dealing with nerves in an injury, itís just so unpredictable.Ē

ďI want to play, Erik, as long as Iím still a productive player, as long as I can still help a team, and as long as I still enjoy it,Ē Manning said. ďI donít think itís about enjoying the games, itís about do you enjoy practice? Do you enjoy meetings? Iíve heard guys that retire, they just say they dreaded going to meetings, they dreaded going to a walk-through. If itís just so miserable, then you probably should stop. But I still enjoy the preparation. I still enjoy the practice. I enjoy getting to work with other great football players. And as long as I can still be effective, Iím going to keep playing.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-super-bowl/

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Sounds good to me
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

yeah, Manning never struck me as a guy looking for an ideal retirement situation. he's going to play until his production drops or his body tells him he can't
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

This year and 2 more. That gives Brock plenty of time to get his game in elite shape.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Manning is a wise man.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

I think he plays out the entire contract
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

At the risk of getting lambasted for quoting ESPN radio again... Gary Miller thinks Manning can play out his contract, AND sign a two year extension while playing at a hight level. That's this year, plus five more, retiring a year older than Brett Favre did.

Really no way to tell at this point though.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Agamemnon

I can see him playing to 40 to be honest.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I could see him playing into his 40's as long as he is healthy. Dude loves what he does.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I always assumed that if healthy he would play until 42-44 and then retire.
That's about the age in which he just cannot physically hold up unless he's just some kind of uber freak.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
That's about the age in which he just cannot physically hold up unless he's just some kind of uber freak.
How long did Vinny Testeverdy(SP?) play? Wasn't he at least 41ish?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
44 would be insane...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

"I think its time to hang em up, and hand over the reigns to Brock. Its been a good run Denver, I enjoyed being your quarterback these past 10 years"
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
extralife
Ring of Famer

I don't think his arm strength is going to hold up THAT long. no, arm strength isn't the most important thing in the world for Manning, and yes, it tends to hold up pretty well with age, but you still need to hit a certain threshold to be a top notch QB, and Manning is in danger of dropping below that threshold at some point.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I've always said that Peyton Manning will play as long as he can play at a decent level.

He eats, breathes, and ****s football.

They'll have to take him off the field kicking and screaming.

I'd love to see him stay healthy and play well for another 4 seasons.

Peyton will never admit, but he's a historian of the game and would love to own all the major passing records (in addition to winning a few more Super Bowls).

If Peyton Manning stays healthy for 4 more seasons, he could own almost all of the major career passing records:

Passing Completions:

Leader: Brett Favre - 6,300

Peyton Manning - 5,082 (Peyton has averaged 363 completions per season....lets conservatively say 320 completions a season for the next 4 seasons....that would give him 6,362 career completions).

Passing Attempts:

Leader: Brett Favre - 10,169

Peyton Manning - 7,793 (Peyton Manning has averaged 557 attempts per season....lets conservatively give him 530 attempts a season for the next 4 seasons....that would give him 9,913 career attempts, still 256 attempts short of Brett Favre's record....damn that dude threw a lot of passes).

Passing Yards:

Leader: Brett Favre - 71,838 passing yards

Peyton Manning - 59,487 passing yards (Peyton Manning has averaged 4,249 yards passing per season....lets conservatively give him 4,000 yards a season for the next 4 seasons. That would give him 71,487 passing yards after 3 season and 75,487 passing yards per season after 4 seasons. This is a record Peyton Manning could very easily take over with another 3 solid seasons).

Passing Touchdowns:

Leader: Brett Favre - 508 Passing TDs

Peyton Manning - 436 Passing TDs (Peyton Manning has averaged a little over 31 passing TDs per season....lets conservatively give him 25 TD passes per season for the next 4 seasons. That would give him 511 TD passes after 3 seasons and 536 TD passes after 4 seasons. This is another record Peyton Manning could very easily take over with another 3 solid seasons).

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-28-2013 at 10:02 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I don't think his arm strength is going to hold up THAT long. no, arm strength isn't the most important thing in the world for Manning, and yes, it tends to hold up pretty well with age, but you still need to hit a certain threshold to be a top notch QB, and Manning is in danger of dropping below that threshold at some point.
I think it is his legs, can he move enough to save himself, can his body bounce back from injury (talking the small hits that add up over time), can stay conditioned enough to play a full season and Playoffs?

His arm will be fine as long as his head doesn't fall off.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #17
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Asked recently whether quarterback Peyton Manning would retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl this year, executive V.P. of football operations John Elway said he hopes thatís a bridge theyíll have to cross.

From Manningís perspective, walking off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy under his arm (like Elway did) doesnít seem to be a priority.

ďItís really not,Ē Manning told Erik Kuselias of NBCSNís Pro Football Talk regarding whether the quarterbackís retirement is tied to winning another title. ĒI really have no idea how much longer Iíll play. In the 2011 season, I wasnít sure if I was going to be able to play again. I had a very strange injury. I had different doctors that just couldnít give me any type of definite timetable or any guarantee, and when youíre dealing with nerves in an injury, itís just so unpredictable.Ē

ďI want to play, Erik, as long as Iím still a productive player, as long as I can still help a team, and as long as I still enjoy it,Ē Manning said. ďI donít think itís about enjoying the games, itís about do you enjoy practice? Do you enjoy meetings? Iíve heard guys that retire, they just say they dreaded going to meetings, they dreaded going to a walk-through. If itís just so miserable, then you probably should stop. But I still enjoy the preparation. I still enjoy the practice. I enjoy getting to work with other great football players. And as long as I can still be effective, Iím going to keep playing.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-super-bowl/

Manning has his sites set on all of Favre's records, 3-4 more full seasons. I can see him playing until he is 41 as long as the team is good. When you get older you lose arm strength and foot speed and he doesn't rely on those anyway.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I personally think Peyton Manning wants to coach. I think he'd be great at it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I personally think Peyton Manning wants to coach. I think he'd be great at it.
How long before Peyton Manning and John Elway come to loggerheads? Just wondering.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
44 would be insane...
For a time it almost seemed like "44-year-old" was the official title (like Mr. or Dr.) for Steve DeBerg.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

and even if Manning gets all of Favre's records he probably knows that Brees is likely to end up taking over just a few years later
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
and even if Manning gets all of Favre's records he probably knows that Brees is likely to end up taking over just a few years later
I don't know....Drew Brees is 34 years old and Peyton Manning is 37 years old.

Manning is currently 1,047 completions ahead of Brees, 1,644 attempts ahead of Brees, 13,568 passing yards ahead of Brees, and 112 TD passes ahead of Brees.

If Peyton Manning played 4 more productive seasons, Drew Brees wouldn't make up a lot of ground and then would be 38 years old and have a ways to go to catch Peyton Manning.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
If Peyton Manning played 4 more productive seasons, Drew Brees wouldn't make up a lot of ground and then would be 38 years old and have a ways to go to catch Peyton Manning.
any kind of prediction that sees Manning playing four more seasons probably shouldn't count Brees out at 38. the TD record might be hard for him, but the others are well within reach
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I think he plays out the entire contract
Outside of a health issue, this would not shock me at all. And that's regardless of what happens in the post-season.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I've always said that Peyton Manning will play as long as he can play at a decent level.

He eats, breathes, and ****s football.

They'll have to take him off the field kicking and screaming.

I'd love to see him stay healthy and play well for another 4 seasons.

Peyton will never admit, but he's a historian of the game and would love to own all the major passing records (in addition to winning a few more Super Bowls).

If Peyton Manning stays healthy for 4 more seasons, he could own almost all of the major career passing records:

Passing Completions:

Leader: Brett Favre - 6,300

Peyton Manning - 5,082 (Peyton has averaged 363 completions per season....lets conservatively say 320 completions a season for the next 4 seasons....that would give him 6,362 career completions).

Passing Attempts:

Leader: Brett Favre - 10,169

Peyton Manning - 7,793 (Peyton Manning has averaged 557 attempts per season....lets conservatively give him 530 attempts a season for the next 4 seasons....that would give him 9,913 career attempts, still 256 attempts short of Brett Favre's record....damn that dude threw a lot of passes).

Passing Yards:

Leader: Brett Favre - 71,838 passing yards

Peyton Manning - 59,487 passing yards (Peyton Manning has averaged 4,249 yards passing per season....lets conservatively give him 4,000 yards a season for the next 4 seasons. That would give him 71,487 passing yards after 3 season and 75,487 passing yards per season after 4 seasons. This is a record Peyton Manning could very easily take over with another 3 solid seasons).

Passing Touchdowns:

Leader: Brett Favre - 508 Passing TDs

Peyton Manning - 436 Passing TDs (Peyton Manning has averaged a little over 31 passing TDs per season....lets conservatively give him 25 TD passes per season for the next 4 seasons. That would give him 511 TD passes after 3 seasons and 536 TD passes after 4 seasons. This is another record Peyton Manning could very easily take over with another 3 solid seasons).
Insane numbers by Favre. A great QB.

After seeing Manning get knocked down the other preseason game, first thought was Favre. Slow to get up and everything. Wonder if we will see a Saints game again in the playoffs where they just knocked Favre down all over the place without any flags. Age is catching up with Manning. I doubt Manning will eclipse Favre's #'s. I just don't see him lasting that long.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote