The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #126
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
[*]Julius Thomas...
Just saw this from Gil Brandt, hadn't seen posted before:

Quote:
A former basketball player at Portland State, Thomas didn't do much in his first two seasons with the Broncos, catching one pass while playing in just nine games (including one start). But he's really taken off in the 2013 preseason; against the Seattle Seahawks last Saturday, he was targeted by quarterback Peyton Manning four times -- and came away with four catches for 70 yards. Thomas is a big, athletic player who has shown he can block and be an asset in the receiving game. His size (6-foot-5, 250 pounds) makes him a tough matchup for opposing linebackers and an appealing target for Manning. I think Thomas will beat out veterans Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen and slot in as Manning's fourth receiving option. Thomas reminds me of a slightly heavier Shannon Sharpe, someone who could finish the season with around 50 catches and a handful of touchdowns.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ng-camp-risers

I see he's also saying positive things about the Chiefs' Dontari Poe...
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #127
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

Poe still hasn't done anything of note in the preseason. I've heard "he looks good" and such but it isn't translating - at least not yet.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #128
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm not sure what the rules are for the RB other than find a crease, cut up and gain as many positive yards as possible. For the oline, it's about simply putting a hat on a defender, whomever that defender is (could be a LBer, could be a safety, could be a DE), because you are positioning yourself in a "zone" and you simply block whoever is there. When the ball snaps you see some of the back side blockers immediately cut blocking defensive lineman down because it's not about creating massive holes for the RB, it's about creating creases large enough for the RB to cut up and through. So if the play is going left, the right side offensive lineman guys are cut blocking while the left side offensive lineman guys are getting their helmets arcross the body of the defensive lineman and also getting up to the second level to cut off pursuing LBers and safeties. It takes offensive lineman who are quick off the ball and can get to the second level fast, cutting off pursuing defenders.

From what I remember about the game, Hillman did good on these pitch sweep plays as he had the speed. But he's got to be able to cut up inside and trust his linemen to be in front of any pursuing defender so as to create a "crease" where he can slip through.

Hillman is the only RB right now who can get around the edge. KM had a good run to the outside but the D never was able to get deep enough to set the edge on that play, KM didn't have to run outside the numbers.

Hillman's true role on this team will be change of pace and he should only be getting 15 carries tops after Ball takes control of the #1 job.

I am hoping by week 4 the RB rotation will be

MoneyBall
Hillman
KM (3rd down passing situations only)
whoever else makes the team.

No matter how it shakes out we have a solid rotation at a position that is really an afterthought in this offense as long as they don't get fumbleitis.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #129
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Poe still hasn't done anything of note in the preseason. I've heard "he looks good" and such but it isn't translating - at least not yet.
Poe has had a couple good pressures and he has been taking on multiple blockers. He is better than last year but still not great value for their #1 pick.

They are just happy he is not an all out bust like the other couple DL they have taken in the 1st over the years.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #130
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just saw this from Gil Brandt, hadn't seen posted before:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ng-camp-risers

Gill go back and watch Kellen Winslow SR in the MIA playoff game in 81
A lot closer in build and running style than a heavier Sharpe
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #131
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Gill go back and watch Kellen Winslow SR in the MIA playoff game in 81
A lot closer in build and running style than a heavier Sharpe
Sharpe grew into his body as his career went on. Take a look at some of his game from his 1st 2 years he was a stick and more of a failed WR moved to TE than a true TE who knew how to block.

Sharpe is a good comparision because Thomas is coming from Basketball background and is learning how to block just as Sharpe had to learn to block coming from a position on a team who's WR's were not expected to block down field at the time.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #132
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Finally got around to watching the game on tape.

Hillman and Ball both had mixed performances. I realize that Moreno wasn't going against starters, but he still looks like the more complete back at this stage of their various careers. That's fairly disappointing so far as Hillman is concerned. (I'll give Ball slightly more rope since he's a rookie). The whistle should have blown before Hillman was stripped, but he has to take better care of the ball. We already know the refs hate us, (probably because Manning makes them work harder) so we are going to see more than our share of bad calls and crap like that.

Special teams coverage was awful, but I'm assuming that the cover squads are filled with backups trying to make the squad. God help us all if I'm wrong.

Ryan Clady deserves his new contract. The difference with him at LT was obvious. As it should be.

Still hard to see what's going on in the interior line, but I didn't see any of the three starters there getting blown up, and they did get a couple of nice seals.

Orange Julius makes the squad, but he'll need to drastically improve on his blocking assignments if he ever wants to start.

That up-tempo passing game is going to be wicked if Manning, DT, Welker and Decker can all stay healthy. Signs of life from Caldwell, too.

The defensive tackles looked pretty good. Even the backups. As a whole, this particular sub-squad may be the best I can remember in a long time here. With Woodyard at MLB we're going to need that.

Put me on the Nate Irving ain't so bad train.

DRC had a nice game. That was encouraging. With a diminished pass rush through the first six games of the season, they are going to have to be on their toes.

At least over the first few games, I think we're in for some old AFL-style shootouts. (which rarely happened in Denver, but old-timers know what I mean).
Agree with all of that. I honestly think we're fine at RB. No feature guy of the stature of Adrian Peterson, but how many teams have that luxury.

The combination of Hillman, Ball, Moreno, and possibly Lance Ball seem like an effective attack and the Broncos will have the luxury of sending fresh legs when needed.

I also think the defense is better than we think at this point. Yes, the temporary loss of Miller and Champ will hurt, but I do believe we have the depth to compensate to a great degree. We will see I suppose, but I'm not all that worried.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote