The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default Manny Ramirez in line driver's seat at center

Frei: Manny Ramirez in line driver's seat at center
By Terry Frei
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/26/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT

Peyton Manning, middle, and the Broncos like to point out that Manny Ramirez (66) remains the team's starting center. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
In my discussion with Broncos offensive line coach Dave Magazu last week, I was working up to a question about center Manny Ramirez. As a preface, I mentioned that I was among those who had been waiting for the converted veteran guard to be supplanted in the starting lineup. I was going to add that by last week, it also was apparent that Ramirez wasn't going to be easily dislodged.

But before I got to the question yes, my prefaces often are longer than my questions Magazu stopped me.

"Why?" he asked.

For the rest of the story...

http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23...seat-at-center
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
lolcopter

Manuel Ramirez is expected to open the season as the Broncos' starting center.
A converted guard, Ramirez has quietly graded out as a top-eight center in Pro Football Focus' 2013 preseason-game ratings. Ryan Lilja was signed as insurance, but has experienced recurring knee issues following offseason microfracture surgery. Ramirez has a big opportunity in the last year of his contract.
Source: Denver Post

Manuel Ramirez winning Broncos center job
http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23...medium=twitter

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-26-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Per Rotoworld
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
DENVERDUI55

ManRam has improved with each game he has played C. I was worried early on but I'm not that worried about him anymore. I know the Orangemane couch GM's say he is terrible and was terrible last year but I thought he showed me something last year. He improved as he got more playing time and that is what I am seeing at C this year.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
SlyEli

My problem with Manny is I think he's something of a liability in the run game due to his inability to get to the second level and get his hands on linebackers. Lilja, on the other hand, is great at that, but may be less stout as a pass blocker than Manny. I still think the team is better off with Lilja but I guess time will tell
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
My problem with Manny is I think he's something of a liability in the run game due to his inability to get to the second level and get his hands on linebackers. Lilja, on the other hand, is great at that, but may be less stout as a pass blocker than Manny. I still think the team is better off with Lilja but I guess time will tell
I feel significantly more comfortable with the OLs condition at this point, and with Lilja, JD, and Kuper in the wings for depth...yeah, Im not worried. Im more concerned about RB consistency and generating a pass rush.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
I feel significantly more comfortable with the OLs condition at this point, and with Lilja, JD, and Kuper in the wings for depth...yeah, Im not worried. Im more concerned about RB consistency and generating a pass rush.
Manny will be fine as long as Clady, Beadles, Vasquez and Franklin are playing Manny will hold his own.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Man Ram has looked very good in the run game. Opening up huge holes and he is getting to the second level on blocks. He's always looking to contact someone.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

lulz... the Broncos offensive line did good in pass protection but struggled in the run game. Just look at how many times Ball got destroyed behind the LOS. Everytime that poor kid got the ball someone was right on top of him---IN THE BACK FIELD.

Meh, whatever. It is what it is. Too bad Lilja isn't working out but I have a feeling that if he didn't have his knee problems he'd be the starting center.

I'm not in panic mode by any means, but the run blocking still needs a lot of work, just ask Montee Ball.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
lulz... the Broncos offensive line did good in pass protection but struggled in the run game. Just look at how many times Ball got destroyed behind the LOS. Everytime that poor kid got the ball someone was right on top of him---IN THE BACK FIELD.

Meh, whatever. It is what it is. Too bad Lilja isn't working out but I have a feeling that if he didn't have his knee problems he'd be the starting center.

I'm not in panic mode by any means, but the run blocking still needs a lot of work, just ask Montee Ball.
I think happened when Clady was out.

Perhaps its misguided, but the OL feels low on the list of potential problems the Broncos currently face. Our offense should hum just fine.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

Perhaps its misguided, but the OL feels low on the list of potential problems the Broncos currently face. Our offense should hum just fine.
All I know is what I saw and what I saw was a dlineman swallowing up Ball before he even got to the LOS. From my experience, that means the interior oline isn't blocking, not necessarily the tackles. But it definitely means someone is missing an assignment.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
All I know is what I saw and what I saw was a dlineman swallowing up Ball before he even got to the LOS. From my experience, that means the interior oline isn't blocking, not necessarily the tackles. But it definitely means someone is missing an assignment.
Perhaps. But between the two of them they ran 20 times for 77 yards, which is just a shade under 4 a carry. Not terrible.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

I'm feeling better about things now that Clady is back but if this preseason showed anything it is that our backups are just horrid. I'm hoping Moffitt can stick but outside of JD and Kuper we have nothing else. Clark sucks, CJ sucks, Painter, OMG.

We have to address this position in the draft next year and pray that this line protecting 18 (our entire season really) stays healthy.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

He was never bad.

People here just liked to assume he was bad because he's a former backup G.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

The majority of issues with the run game stem from one player. His name is Chris Clark. Dude has been getting straight served every game. Thank the higher powers that Clady is returning.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He was never bad.

People here just liked to assume he was bad because he's a former backup G.
He struggled mightily at times last year (raiders game stands out) and looked terrible, especially in the run game against SF two weeks ago
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Magazu for MVP!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:

Surely you are not talking about the SL game. The O line opened holes I could run through.

Edit; When Clady was in.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Surely you are not talking about the SL game. The O line opened holes I could run through.

Edit; When Clady was in.
While I agree with you, I would say "run" is pretty subjective...
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Dude I bet I can out hike you today. Run might be stretching it a bit though. Are we talking down hill?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
He struggled mightily at times last year (raiders game stands out) and looked terrible, especially in the run game against SF two weeks ago
I think you're blowing one play out of proportion two weeks ago and grossly exaggerating the meaning of "mightily".

No one is mistaking Manny for an all-pro, but he is far, far from bad.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
dictionary

Quote:
When M. Ball was stuffed, it was more or less a by-product of his rookie-ness, in short mental decision making. He will be fine after a few more games. I aint overly scared and am totally comfortable if they start Moreno and then slowly bring M. Ball along increasing touches.

OL and DL look great. We just need to get/stay healthy and roll through the next 16 preseason games.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
This is so awesome...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Run lanes were few and far between, need more consistency.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Run lanes were few and far between, need more consistency.
If every carry doesn't go for 10+ yards ... fail.

The Mane.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
lolcopter

Quote:
Everytime that poor kid got the ball someone was right on top of him---IN THE BACK FIELD.
Welcome to Knowshon Moreno's entire career

*with an injury sprinkled in here and there