The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #201
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

I am most worried about Champ's game.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #202
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Cut Hillman. Dudes already 21 and in his 2nd year...if he doesn't get it now, he never will. The Broncos need to get younger at the position anyways.
Good to know "Not starting" = cut him.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #203
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The goal line plunge fumble was a bad call
Bad call didn't knock the ball out of his hands. I get what you mean though.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #204
dictionary

Quote:
The goal line plunge fumble was a bad call

The one Ogletree made was just a good play on a late whistle and Ogletree is going to make many a great play in his career, kid can ball.

I am not that worried about the fumbling nor am I worried about the Broncos running backs. We are going to have a great running game you will see.
This pretty much sums things up. I am not overly concerned with the running game. Let the next man up competition begin for Preseason #4 and then focus on the next game.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #205
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hillmans young. Still younger than Montee. I don't think he's a starter at this point but we have to keep developing our young talent.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #206
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Bad call didn't knock the ball out of his hands. I get what you mean though.
Consider he held the ball at risk out in front of him to break the goal line knowing all he had to do was get the ball across the goal line to score which he did do but the call was missed. He did what you want him to do on the goal line, score a TD. Not his fault the call was missed.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #207
CEH
Ring of Famer

The goal line plunge is correctable because he will be told never try to lunge to the goal line unless it's 4th down

He needs to get down quicker or if he is stood up he better get stronger to hold on to the ball . This may to be a film type other teams use when tackling Hillman. I know teams in general will try to stand a RB and rip the ball
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #208
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Apparently you missed fwf's earlier posts. Not that he needs me to defend him, but your accusation of Drama Queen towards NorCal is greatly misplaced. Txtebow and fwf are two more worthy candidates, don't you think?
yeah I must have missed his posts or at least did not read them...lol... Sometimes I don't even read the thread.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #209
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
And Teflon Elway gets no blame for this? Even Moreno's mother knows the guy won't hold up for a full season. So well be left with Unproven and Fumble to lead us to the Meadowlands. I see Peyton getting wacked along the way.
Why was it such a terrible idea John to have 4 Rbs on the roster and pay a guy like Shonn Green the 1.6 million the Titans are paying him?
Because he actually did his homework on him, apparently unlike you:

Shonn Greene:

Rushing Stats
SEASON TEAM GP ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST

2009 (Rookie Year)
NYJ

14 108 540 5.0 33 2 24 3 3

NYJ

16 276 1,063 3.9 36 8 52 3 1

Receiving Stats
SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST

No Receiving Stats in Rookie Season(2009)

NYJ

16 19 31 151 7.9 30 0 3 1 0

Ronnie Hillman:

Rushing Stats

DEN

14 85 330 3.9 31 1 19 2 1

Receiving Stats

DEN

14 10 12 62 6.2 29 0 3 0 0

To summarize for you:

While in Greene's rookie year, he had a better average per carry, he lost a fumble every 36 carries. Hillman lost 1 fumble in 85 carries.
Last season, Greene learned to hold on the ball better, fumbling 3 times, and losing only 1 in 276 carries. Hillman deserves that benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise in regular season games.

However, Greene's rookie year is the only year he averaged 5 yds per carry as last year he regressed to 3.9 yds per carry. It appears Greene is way beyond his peak, while Hillman has just began his career as one of the youngest players in the NFL.

Also, Greene is nowhere near the receiver that Hillman is, as he had no receiving stats in his rookie year. In 2012 Greene was targeted 31 times as a receiver, but caught only 19 and losing a fumble! Hillman, on the other hand in limited duty, was targeted 12 times, catching 10 with no fumbles. Which RB do you think Peyton would want as a receiver?

So you ask, why didn't Elway sign a regressing stone-hands RB in Greene for $1.6 million? Because he already had a RB on the roster that is no worse a runner at this point in their careers, but a much better receiver that has way more upside in his young career, and he is paying him only $515,000. That's why.

Last edited by R8R H8R; 08-26-2013 at 12:16 PM..
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #210
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Consider he held the ball at risk out in front of him to break the goal line knowing all he had to do was get the ball across the goal line to score which he did do but the call was missed. He did what you want him to do on the goal line, score a TD. Not his fault the call was missed.
Yeah I see what you mean, I would rather him just worry about holding onto the ball no matter the situation just as good practice. By itself that play isn't as big a deal, combine it with the rest and it is.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #211
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Mike Klis on Twitter:
Attached Images

Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #212
Drunken.Broncoholic

What will be funny is come regular the same people crying about Elway's RB decisions will be the same people crying that Gase is running the ball too much.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #213
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Yeah I see what you mean, I would rather him just worry about holding onto the ball no matter the situation just as good practice. By itself that play isn't as big a deal, combine it with the rest and it is.
Was there another besides the late whistle strip?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #214
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Hillman fumbled 2x in the Seattle game and 1x vs StL
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #215
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Lol at Hillman carrying a ball everywhere. The sphere of shame.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #216
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
He had 2 against Seattle.

So that makes 2 out of 3 that resulted in immediate scores for the other team. Granted, the goal line one likely should have never happened but holding onto the ball ensures that the 6 the other direction won't happen either.

And late whistles, you play until the whistle blows whether it's BS or not. I want the kid to do well obviously, but he has to figure this out.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #217
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Mike Klis on Twitter:
Darnell Jefferson!

I actually think that tactic really does work. Not that this is comparable at all, but during my high school football days, I spent one off season carrying around a football everywhere (when i was home, not school). The next season my hands were 10 times better.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #218
Drunken.Broncoholic

This team doesn't approach the RB position as using a feature back starter that's going to eat up 25 carries a game. There's no gore or Peterson here. It's set up to be an RB by committee where "starter" just means they in there on the first series. Split carries by 4 RBs.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #219
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Because he actually did his homework on him, apparently unlike you:

Shonn Greene:

Rushing Stats

2009 (Rookie Year)
NYJ

14 108 540 5.0 33 2 24 3 3

NYJ

16 276 1,063 3.9 36 8 52 3 1

Receiving Stats

No Receiving Stats in Rookie Season(2009)

NYJ

16 19 31 151 7.9 30 0 3 1 0

Ronnie Hillman:

Rushing Stats

DEN

14 85 330 3.9 31 1 19 2 1

Receiving Stats

DEN

14 10 12 62 6.2 29 0 3 0 0

To summarize for you:

While in Greene's rookie year, he had a better average per carry, he lost a fumble every 36 carries. Hillman lost 1 fumble in 85 carries.
Last season, Greene learned to hold on the ball better, fumbling 3 times, and losing only 1 in 276 carries. Hillman deserves that benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise in regular season games.

However, Greene's rookie year is the only year he averaged 5 yds per carry as last year he regressed to 3.9 yds per carry. It appears Greene is way beyond his peak, while Hillman has just began his career as one of the youngest players in the NFL.

Also, Greene is nowhere near the receiver that Hillman is, as he had no receiving stats in his rookie year. In 2012 Greene was targeted 31 times as a receiver, but caught only 19 and losing a fumble! Hillman, on the other hand in limited duty, was targeted 12 times, catching 10 with no fumbles. Which RB do you think Peyton would want as a receiver?

So you ask, why didn't Elway sign a regressing stone-hands RB in Greene for $1.6 million? Because he already had a RB on the roster that is no worse a runner at this point in their careers, but a much better receiver that has way more upside in his young career, and he is paying him only $515,000. That's why.
Greene is done, last season with the Jets they kept giving him the ball and he kept on not gaining any yards. He has no burst at all and doesn't create anything at all on his own.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #220
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
This team doesn't approach the RB position as using a feature back starter that's going to eat up 25 carries a game. There's no gore or Peterson here. It's set up to be an RB by committee where "starter" just means they in there on the first series. Split carries by 4 RBs.
Yes. This is not Dan Reeves team of running Sammy Winder on 1st & 2nd down, and then let Elway get the 1st down. Heck, even Shanny's SB teams were way more dependent on the RB, than this team ever will be.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #221
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Greene is done, last season with the Jets they kept giving him the ball and he kept on not gaining any yards. He has no burst at all and doesn't create anything at all on his own.
His stats appear to bear this out. In only his 5th year, his regression sure came swiftly. As I mentioned in the earlier post, his rookie year is the only year he averaged 5 yds a carry. After that, he never got over 4.2.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #222
Action

http://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-fi...rst-half-notes

ack to Ronnie Hillman. I've tried to pour over each of his carries to find him being careless with the ball and I just don't see it. On both the fumbles he's lost, you can chalk it up to bad luck. On the first the ball is popped out by a helmet hit, on the 2nd his forward progress had been stopped. Now I'm not saying it doesn't bother me, but I've backed off of it a little bit. Hillman is the guy who is more capable of stretching the defense from sideline to sideline. He consistently gains positive chunks off tackle and is the only back on our roster that has proven that against the ones.

---------------------

Looks like I'm not the only one with some rationality... unlike some others on this forum whom are worse than women high on their hormones.

Last edited by Action; 08-26-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #223
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Lol at Hillman carrying a ball everywhere. The sphere of shame.
Demaryius did the same thing.

**** happens.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #224
menonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
http://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-fi...rst-half-notes

ack to Ronnie Hillman. I've tried to pour over each of his carries to find him being careless with the ball and I just don't see it. On both the fumbles he's lost, you can chalk it up to bad luck. On the first the ball is popped out by a helmet hit, on the 2nd his forward progress had been stopped. Now I'm not saying it doesn't bother me, but I've backed off of it a little bit. Hillman is the guy who is more capable of stretching the defense from sideline to sideline. He consistently gains positive chunks off tackle and is the only back on our roster that has proven that against the ones.

---------------------

Looks like I'm not the only one overreacting like a woman high on hormones.

He wasn't struck by lightning and didn't piss off Warwick Davis - he had the ball taken away from him. John Fox shoving a rabbits foot up his pooper isn't going to solve his problem.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #225
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
He wasn't struck by lightning or piss off Warwick Davis - he had the ball taken away from him. John Fox shoving a rabbits foot up his pooper isn't going to solve his problem.
And that **** HAPPENS, your star RBs have had more careless **** happen than that. Most RBs who get stood up in the league with a LB getting a full rip like Ogletree will lose the ball.

I swear, it's like most of you people are unaware of how football is played by the rest of the NFL.