The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #51
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Thanks for the info, catching it on iTunes.

at Scotty beaming Chekov's guts into space.
Broncomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #52
menonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't understand how anyone could prefer either of those shows to Breaking Bad, but to each their own.

I have yet to watch The Wire, but The Sopranos was not even in the same league as Breaking Bad. The first season or two was pretty great, but it went downhill fast. It was a chore slogging through he last two seasons when most of the interesting characters had been written out of the show. And the last episode was absolutely pathetic.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
I have yet to watch The Wire, but The Sopranos was not even in the same league as Breaking Bad.
I love Breaking Bad, but to say The Sopranos isn't "in the same league" is silly. The Sopranos is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, television drama of all time.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/leah-picke...ll-time-108018

http://www.imdb.com/list/If1o3I1UpOo/

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=4925

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2071....html#21352675

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=161603&p=30#{"page":30,"issue_id":161603}

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun...-time-20130531

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...ries-tv-606472

Last edited by TonyR; 08-23-2013 at 03:23 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The Wire > Sopranos
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #55
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Last five minutes tonight when Jesse had his epiphany...as intense as this show has ever been. First couple episodes this year were (somewhat) slowly setting up the repercussions of Hank's discovery. Tonight just pushed everything over the cliff, and I don't think we're going to be slowing down again until the very end.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #56
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

I wasn't too excited about Jessie's epiphany - but the 'confession' video - damn that was like one of the top 3 'holy crap' moments in the history of BB - and that's a lot of holy crap moments. Walt certainly is the devil.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #57
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
I wasn't too excited about Jessie's epiphany...
I "like" the epiphany concept, but I'm not sure I'm down with how they executed it. I really don't get how Jesse made the connection the way he did.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #58
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I "like" the epiphany concept, but I'm not sure I'm down with how they executed it. I really don't get how Jesse made the connection the way he did.
I've been rewatching the entire series so a lot of details have been fresh in my head... it actually makes complete sense that Jesse made the connection.

1) Jesse has already suspected that Huell had lifted the ricin cigarrette off him and Walt was involved in the poisoning. He stated his suspicions as such when he went to confront Walt about it at the end of season 4. Walt was the only other person other than Jesse who knew about the ricin. Walt convinced Jesse Gus was behind it as an attempt to manipulate Jesse into not only signing off on sending Walt to Belize, but doing it himself.

2) Later it turned out Brock had been poisoned by Lily of the Valleys not ricin and the police suspected it was an accident. Gus is dead and there is no longer reason to suspect he was involved in the poisoning, and Jesse is unnerved about the whereabouts of the ricin cigarette. Walt came over to help find it and planted a fake ricin cigarette in the Roomba. At this point Jesse still trusts Walt.

3) Drew Sharpe, Mike and the 10 prisoners are murdered, and Jesse's trust in Walt has eroded. Walt lies to Jesse about Mike and Jesse knows it.

4) Huell again lifts a joint off Jesse to make sure the Hachi's Quick Vanish guy doesn't call off the vanishing because of it. When Jesse realizes it, his original suspicions immediately resurface, coupled with his new found perspective on what Walt is capable of, he realizes not only was the ricin lifted earlier but Walt's helping him find the fake one in the Roomba was a ruse.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #59
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
I've been rewatching the entire series so a lot of details have been fresh in my head... it actually makes complete sense that Jesse made the connection.
Yes, you do have an advantage having watched it all more recently. But I'm still not 100% sold on the joints not being in his pocket triggering the connection like that. But I'll go with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #60
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes, you do have an advantage having watched it all more recently. But I'm still not 100% sold on the joints not being in his pocket triggering the connection like that. But I'll go with it.
I'd have a problem if it seemed out of character for Jesse, but it's been well established that Jesse is intelligent enough to make the deduction.

The scenes where Huell lifts both the ricin cigarette and the joint are in the show. The joint was a little more obvious, but both times you'd miss it if you weren't paying attention. If you look for it, and given it happened to Jesse twice, it's not implausible that he figured it out.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #61
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The scenes where Huell lifts both the ricin cigarette and the joint are in the show. The joint was a little more obvious, but both times you'd miss it if you weren't paying attention. If you look for it, and given it happened to Jesse twice, it's not implausible that he figured it out.
But did he know that Huell lifted the ricin cigarette? Or did he suspect it? I know if I was missing something from my pocket I wouldn't immediately suspect that someone had picked me. And then if I did suspect it I don't know that I'd immediate suspect they'd done it with something else before. I know I'm over-analyzing this but it was one of very few times something didn't work for me on this show. But, I'm sure much of it is the details not being fresh in my mind.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #62
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
But did he know that Huell lifted the ricin cigarette? Or did he suspect it? I know if I was missing something from my pocket I wouldn't immediately suspect that someone had picked me. And then if I did suspect it I don't know that I'd immediate suspect they'd done it with something else before. I know I'm over-analyzing this but it was one of very few times something didn't work for me on this show. But, I'm sure much of it is the details not being fresh in my mind.
He suspected Huell lifted the ricin cigarette. But he knew Huell lifted the joint, which suddenly brought a lot of weight to his earlier suspicions about the ricin. The whole ricin in the Roomba thing seemed flimsier in retrospect, especially given Walt was involved in discovering it.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #63
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
I wasn't too excited about Jessie's epiphany - but the 'confession' video - damn that was like one of the top 3 'holy crap' moments in the history of BB - and that's a lot of holy crap moments. Walt certainly is the devil.
I had seen it brought up before this season started just how bad the evidence would look for Hank if he tried to convict Walt, and the confession video really hit the major points I'd almost forgot:

-His rehab paid for in drug money

-Hector Salamanca specifically visited Hank right before returning to blow himself up (as part of the ruse to get Fring to visit the nursing home)

-He had been friendly with Fring beforehand via charity work.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #64
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Wire > Sopranos
Oh here we go....

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #65
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Wire > Sopranos
I sometimes agree with you. (see post linked below)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...4&postcount=27
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #66
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
I'd have a problem if it seemed out of character for Jesse, but it's been well established that Jesse is intelligent enough to make the deduction.

Like you, I've watched all episodes recently and you break it down really well.

At first I thought Jesse was just pissed because he couldn't find his lighter (mixed with other concerns), but then I realized it was the dope he wanted and the way he kept looking back at the smokes it clicked for me. Clicked for him also apparently. Subtle.

The confession video was like getting smacked in the face though.

Good stuff.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #67
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
I had seen it brought up before this season started just how bad the evidence would look for Hank if he tried to convict Walt, and the confession video really hit the major points I'd almost forgot:

-Hector Salamanca specifically visited Hank right before returning to blow himself up (as part of the ruse to get Fring to visit the nursing home)

It also very nicely recapped the whole show - starting from when Hank took Walt along for a bust - when we were also first introduced to Jesse.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #68
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

1) Jesse has already suspected that Huell had lifted the ricin cigarrette off him and Walt was involved in the poisoning. He stated his suspicions as such when he went to confront Walt about it at the end of season 4. Walt was the only other person other than Jesse who knew about the ricin. Walt convinced Jesse Gus was behind it as an attempt to manipulate Jesse into not only signing off on sending Walt to Belize, but doing it himself.

2) Later it turned out Brock had been poisoned by Lily of the Valleys not ricin and the police suspected it was an accident. Gus is dead and there is no longer reason to suspect he was involved in the poisoning, and Jesse is unnerved about the whereabouts of the ricin cigarette. Walt came over to help find it and planted a fake ricin cigarette in the Roomba. At this point Jesse still trusts Walt.

3) Drew Sharpe, Mike and the 10 prisoners are murdered, and Jesse's trust in Walt has eroded. Walt lies to Jesse about Mike and Jesse knows it.

4) Huell again lifts a joint off Jesse to make sure the Hachi's Quick Vanish guy doesn't call off the vanishing because of it. When Jesse realizes it, his original suspicions immediately resurface, coupled with his new found perspective on what Walt is capable of, he realizes not only was the ricin lifted earlier but Walt's helping him find the fake one in the Roomba was a ruse.
It's not entirely clear to me, but I think a large part of the 'aha' moment is that not only did Huell lift the pot, he might have actually replaced it with the ciggs (just like he did when he swiped the ricin containing pack) -- which if that is the case makes it much more plausible that Jessie would figure it out.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #69
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

I have no idea if it was planned all along, and if so how much planning actually went into it, but in any event it's a fantastic bit of writing.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #70
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Soooo...ummmmm

who lives?

I think Hank and Gomez are goners. Jesse gets away maybe for Walt to deal with later. We know he obviously lives through this ordeal from earlier previews.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #71
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

I can't think of a credible scenario where Hank and Gomez live, but the writers of Breaking Bad are a lot better at coming up with stuff like that than I am. I think it'd be strange for them to end the episode where they did if in fact Hank was going to die in this shootout. If this was his time to die, I would think it would have happened at the end of this episode. Also, they were telegraphing his death through much of the episode. Especially with the phone call to Marie. I mean it was really a cliche, but damn if I wasn't jittery as all hell watching that scene expecting a sniper to take out Hank. I don't think the writers would telegraph it that blatantly if his death was going to happen right after the cut off. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #72
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

The clock has to have struck midnight for Hank and Gomez. No way they can survive being that heavily outgunned. I'm surprised they even survived the first volley. Can't see a credible way Walt still has his freedom, albeit on the lam, unless Hank and Gomez are dead. I have a guess who Walt's M-60 is for now.

But then again, I never saw Walt and Jesse escaping the RV after being cornered by Hank, or the laptop being destroyed in an evidence locker. I still think the electro-magnet was a bit far fetched though. Great TV none the less. Somebody told me Mythbusters did a Breaking Bad episode. Wonder if they busted that?

The show has used some foreshadowing I believe. Jesse's last friendly meeting with Walt, a fatherly hug goodbye. I think Walt and Walt Jr. have had their last scene together, another hug goodbye. Hank's call with Marie.

I really hope Todd and his uncle die slow, agonizing deaths.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #73
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Mythbusters covered the stuff from season one; 1) the bathtub/acid incident in the house and 2) when Walt confronted Tuco and threw the mercury fulminate on the ground to cause the explosion. Both were busted. As far as the fulminate, they said he would need a lot more than what he had to create that explosion. If that explosion did occur they would both be dead.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #74
JPPT1974
September Falls!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!

Don't worry for all of you Hank fans, as he is now at "Under the Dome" on the other side of the law.

But when Walter either dies or goes to another country, show will end with him!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #75
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Always makes me angry when character shields extend to total absurdity. Multiple people wielding rifles completely miss two people standing out in the open at maybe 50 yards? I expect a lot better from a show like BB.

:facepalm: