The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #301
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
He's in trouble.
I agree but I did see 2 pretty extraordinary plays out of him last night.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #302
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Not only did Deltha give up the TD in that game, but he also completely misplayed the free kick after the safety. You should never, ever start inside your 20 after a free kick.
and yes, that game was completely against us. Kanell starting, and then Elam unable to kick field goals causing us to punt on 4th and 2 from the Pats 32 yard line.
I don't think there's a single game in the history of the Denver Broncos that gets talked about more on these boards than this one. It's pretty astonishing, really.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #303
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,858
Default

Webster lokks to have the size and adequate speed to be a solid cb but can you name a single play from the st louis game that he made that stood out to you? Against backups? I think he broke up a pass that may have already been bobbled and he was pretty close to his man on some quick slants but did anything really say to you "this guy can play" ?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #304
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Jammer looks done to me. Wouldn't be surprised if he's axed with the first round of cuts.

Kayvon Webster, is somewhat quietly having the most impressive preseason of all of the rookies we've drafted. Granted, it is against 2nd and 3rd team offenses, but he closes very quickly in space and has demonstrated the type of physicality in press coverage and tackling that I like. Although he did get beat last night in coverage, but the receiver dropped the ball.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #305
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Webster lokks to have the size and adequate speed to be a solid cb but can you name a single play from the st louis game that he made that stood out to you? Against backups? I think he broke up a pass that may have already been bobbled and he was pretty close to his man on some quick slants but did anything really say to you "this guy can play" ?
In the St. Louis game, they didn't really challenge him much because his coverage was really solid with the exception of the play I mentioned where the receiver dropped the ball. I think it was a quick slant, but honestly, I can't remember.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #306
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,797

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Yeah they keep six CBs, especially with Champ's injury. There's a chance he won't be available for the Ravens game.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #307
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect this will be a season of decline for Champ.

Faltered late last season

Had a pretty bad playoff game

Possible nagging injury

That is why I think the Broncos may surprise some of us and keep Jammer because he can play both corner and safety

Last edited by baja; 08-25-2013 at 03:29 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #308
stoxman
Ring of Famer
 
stoxman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,153

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect this will be a season of decline for Champ.

Faltered late last season

Had a pretty bad playoff game

Possible nagging injury

That is why I think the Broncos may surprise some of us and keep Jammer because he can play both corner and safety
I was thinking this as well last night watching him at CB.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #309
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
In the St. Louis game, they didn't really challenge him much because his coverage was really solid with the exception of the play I mentioned where the receiver dropped the ball. I think it was a quick slant, but honestly, I can't remember.
Im not ruling out the possibility that he could be a good player for us some day, im just saying that i havent seen anything from him that has really impressed me. Does he look bad? No, just very average...against backups.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #310
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,797

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect this will be a season of decline for Champ.

Faltered late last season

Had a pretty bad playoff game

Possible nagging injury

That is why I think the Broncos may surprise some of us and keep Jammer because he can play both corner and safety
Been hearing that for several years now and he'll be fine. Champ is the least of the teams worries at this point.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #311
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,739

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Im not ruling out the possibility that he could be a good player for us some day, im just saying that i havent seen anything from him that has really impressed me. Does he look bad? No, just very average...against backups.
Considering that he himself is just a back up, at best, at this point in his career, average should be considered a positive. No?

Many thought he was over-drafted in the 3rd round. It may take a couple of years to determine who was right, our very "sauced" FO () or the Mel Kipers of the world. Either way, just the fact that he is not getting embarrassed in just his 3rd preseason game is worth applauding, IMO.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #312
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Im not ruling out the possibility that he could be a good player for us some day, im just saying that i havent seen anything from him that has really impressed me. Does he look bad? No, just very average...against backups.
Tied for the team lead in tackles against Seattle (6)

Had a pick against the Niners.

Didn't really do much statistically speaking against the Rams, but I thought he pretty much locked his defender down with the exception of one play.

Overall, I think he's looked above average against backups (especially, considering at this point, he's a backup.)
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #313
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I don't think there's a single game in the history of the Denver Broncos that gets talked about more on these boards than this one. It's pretty astonishing, really.
That game was pretty remarkable really. Pats would go on to win the Super Bowl, but the Broncos played them head to toe extremely well with Danny Kanell at QB and no kicker really available.
I think the misplay on the free kick by Deltha really hurt the team the most. I would garner he gave up 20 yards there, so instead of starting at the 15ish yard line, we're starting at the 35.
****in Dealtha O'Neal man
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #314
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,739

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
That game was pretty remarkable really. Pats would go on to win the Super Bowl, but the Broncos played them head to toe extremely well with Danny Kanell at QB and no kicker really available.
I think the misplay on the free kick by Deltha really hurt the team the most. I would garner he gave up 20 yards there, so instead of starting at the 15ish yard line, we're starting at the 35.
****in Dealtha O'Neal man
And don't forget that Jeb Putzier dropped a 3rd down pass that would've sealed the game.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #315
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
And don't forget that Jeb Putzier dropped a 3rd down pass that would've sealed the game.
Was that the game where Belichik had his long snapper intentionally snap into the end zone for a safety? Damn, that was some of the best coaching I've ever seen -- hate the man, but got to give him props for that.

That game was probably my second-favorite game that the Broncos lost, ever (behind the classic 1994 Elway-Montana duel).
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #316
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Is it possible Bolden doesn't make the team? Champ, DRC, and Harris are your top 3. Webster is a lock to make the team, and you figure Carter also sticks. So that's 5 guys. Do they keep 6?
There's almost zero chance of them cutting him. They just spent a high pick on him last year knowing that the first year was essentially a rehab season.
People give up on picks a lot faster than the team does.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #317
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,739

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Was that the game where Belichik had his long snapper intentionally snap into the end zone for a safety? Damn, that was some of the best coaching I've ever seen -- hate the man, but got to give him props for that.

That game was probably my second-favorite game that the Broncos lost, ever (behind the classic 1994 Elway-Montana duel).
Yes, good memory. However, i think Don Shula gets the nod for making the original move.

IIRC, our punt returner (Deltha?) just returned a TD on them, so when our defense backed them up again, Belli took no chances and had his punter take a safety. And that was when Deltha totally misplayed the punt.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #318
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Was that the game where Belichik had his long snapper intentionally snap into the end zone for a safety? Damn, that was some of the best coaching I've ever seen -- hate the man, but got to give him props for that.

That game was probably my second-favorite game that the Broncos lost, ever (behind the classic 1994 Elway-Montana duel).
QFT
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #319
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 736
Default

Webster closes quicker than anyone on the team. Sounds crazy, but watch the games if you have them recorded and focus in on him. The kid has a future in the NFL.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #320
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Webster closes quicker than anyone on the team. Sounds crazy, but watch the games if you have them recorded and focus in on him. The kid has a future in the NFL.
If it comes down to him versus Bolden for the last CB spot, I think Webster gets the call. You're right, he looked very athletic and instinctive in the Rams game, whereas Bolden always looks like he's running through molasses.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #321
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer
 
Broncos4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Webster closes quicker than anyone on the team. Sounds crazy, but watch the games if you have them recorded and focus in on him. The kid has a future in the NFL.
I don't get it. How do others not see this. A CB doesn't have to be spectacular to show something. I think he's above Carter, and I'm sure other posters would agree. He should be our 4th CB. There isn't a ton of NFL film on Kayvon yet, but I do not see a lot of wasted movement by the kid. He seems mentally tough too. I think the dude could handle starting now, as crazy as that sounds, if we were in that unfortunate circumstance.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #322
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,393

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Been hearing that for several years now and he'll be fine. Champ is the least of the teams worries at this point.
I don't know about that. He is going into his 15th season. While he has been quite durable over his career, he has been getting those little nagging injuries the last few years. he is starting this season with an injury like that. For some players it isn't just a slow steady decline in play, sometimes there is just a dramatic dropoff from one year to the next. I hope it isn't happening to Champ, but it wouldn't be surprising if it did.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #323
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,393

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
He's in trouble.
i'm not so sure that Jammer is a goner. With the potential that Champ's injury is nagging him all year, it is possible that the team lets Bolden, or Q Carter go and keeps Jammer since he has versatility to play the Safety and Corner positions. while he is pretty much done in his career, his versatility could buy him 1 last ride.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #324
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Webster closes quicker than anyone on the team. Sounds crazy, but watch the games if you have them recorded and focus in on him. The kid has a future in the NFL.
That's what I'm seeing too. The kid is raw, but has a ton of natural ability. I really think he'll see the field this year as a dime DB. Maybe not right away, but as the season progresses. I can see how the FO got the scouting report, saw some tape and reached for him. Boom or bust player. He'll either be a starting CB in a couple of years, or out of the league.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #325
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
There's almost zero chance of them cutting him. They just spent a high pick on him last year knowing that the first year was essentially a rehab season.
People give up on picks a lot faster than the team does.
It's not an issue of "giving up on him" as much as it is a numbers game. He's basically the 6th CB, so it comes down to whether they keep 5 or 6.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Denver Broncos