The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Random thoughts from the Rams game

Good game. We still had some things to iron out, but you saw a peek at the awesome potential. Here's what I came away thinking about.
  • As catostrophic as Hillman's fumbles have been, I do believe he'll develop into a playmaker for this team. I just don't know if feature back is his forte. His size makes it easy to stand him up and he isn't strong enough to resist the strip attempts when he runs inside.
  • Ogletree is a really impressive player. Kudos to the rams for getting a real dynamic linebacker.
  • Our special teams tackling is starting to bother me.
  • Ryan Clady looks like best left tackle in football. If you didn't notice how powerful he was in really every aspect, just look at what happened to our offense when he left for precautionary reasons after the first quarter.
  • Zane Beadles is back to his hot and cold ways. He missed a couple of blocks and needs to finish when he gets up-field. It's preseason so he can iron that out.
  • Julius Thomas is probably not going to be that awesome. He may develop into a starter, but until he can block more consistently and get his route running down, he'll need to grow before he can reach his potential.
  • We miss Dumervil. The pressure was more consistent last year with him playing. But it wasn't all bad.
  • Malik Jackson has really stepped up and is taking his opportunity to get more playing time while Wolfe recovers. He'll continue to grow and will be contributor this season.
  • Woodyard is so much a better of a player than DJ Williams, it's not even close. I really look forward to him enjoying a larger role this season.
  • I don't understand why Nate Irving doesn't get more time and other people keep getting reps ahead of him. It's not like Terry Pearce (Pierce?) where he never did anything in preseason either. Irving is making plays.
  • Lerentee McCree won't clear waivers. And even trying to hide him on the fourth team won't work because he'll keep making plays late in games and people will see. We aren't deep enough at linebacker, and enough teams are thin enough elsewhere, where you can cut him and expect to land him on the PS.
  • Rogers-Cromartie looked good. With him, Champ, Harris and Carter, we will have enough help when all are healthy to still have a serviceable defense even during Von's suspension.
  • Peyton Manning is awesome. The rapidity of the offense was amazing.
  • Britton Colquitt is awesome.
  • Keep an eye on Kayvon Webster. He's going to hang in this league.
  • I'm glad they let Osweiller and the line get more reps in the second half. Osweiller needs the time with the ones so he can play on a unit that isn't awful and the line needs as much time as possible.
  • Best news of the night: No major injuries.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
CEH
Ring of Famer

Offense ran 49 plays for 290 yards in the first half

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
30 plays in the 1st quarter - 30 plays!

In the red zone we are seeing a lot of running in the preseason, I believe this is because Gase is reluctant to use his red zone passing plays so teams can't prepare for them. My feeling is that in the regular season we would see different play calling inside the 20, including more pass plays.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good game. We still had some things to iron out, but you saw a peek at the awesome potential. Here's what I came away thinking about.
  • Julius Thomas is probably not going to be that awesome. He may develop into a starter, but until he can block more consistently and get his route running down, he'll need to grow before he can reach his potential.
  • We miss Dumervil. The pressure was more consistent last year with him playing. But it wasn't all bad.
  • Malik Jackson has really stepped up and is taking his opportunity to get more playing time while Wolfe recovers. He'll continue to grow and will be contributor this season.
Special teams definitely need to step up big time - on the 2nd punt return by Austin (he didn't break it but got damn close), our gunners were 10-15 yards wide of him and nobody had gotten in front of him. The blocking in that blocked field goal attempt was pathetic, Julius Thomas had 2 guys on him.

Julius Thomas looks good and then bad. You can tell he just doesn't have the experience and his route running is definitely lacking. He had a couple of good blocks but also some really bad ones.

The pass rush is definitely not impressive, it is okay, but in the base 4 man rush we just don't consistently enough press pocket.

Malik Jackson is going to be a very solid rotation player at DE/DT. He has good quickness and surprising power for a guy his size.

Webster will be a starter next season - doesn't matter if we resign DRC, doesn't matter if Champ doesn't retire and doesn't want to move to FS, Webster will start.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Montee Ball was very impressive IMO. Looks more comfortable in the ZBS and is showing to be the north south runner we've been looking for. Still has much to prove, but I wouldn't bet against him at this point.

Having Clady back, made a world of a difference on the line

Wasn't a great showing for Julius, but I can see him having an impact on Sundays. Very athletic, which makes him a match up nightmare for defenses. Especially when Welker returns.

No major injuries, and depending on Bailey and Wolfe, looks like we'll be full strength for the Balt opener. Offense will be 100%. These guys may be unstoppable in that game
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Special teams definitely need to step up big time - on the 2nd punt return by Austin (he didn't break it but got damn close), our gunners were 10-15 yards wide of him and nobody had gotten in front of him. The blocking in that blocked field goal attempt was pathetic, Julius Thomas had 2 guys on him.

Julius Thomas looks good and then bad. You can tell he just doesn't have the experience and his route running is definitely lacking. He had a couple of good blocks but also some really bad ones.

The pass rush is definitely not impressive, it is okay, but in the base 4 man rush we just don't consistently enough press pocket.

Malik Jackson is going to be a very solid rotation player at DE/DT. He has good quickness and surprising power for a guy his size.

Webster will be a starter next season - doesn't matter if we resign DRC, doesn't matter if Champ doesn't retire and doesn't want to move to FS, Webster will start.

He's had a really good preseason so far. Always around the ball, making his presence known. He keeps this up, I may have to agree with you. Kid can ball
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopatt24 View Post
He's had a really good preseason so far. Always around the ball, making his presence known. He keeps this up, I may have to agree with you. Kid can ball
He can play, he is a big guy with some wheels on him who can tackle. He is probably never going to be confused with Champ or Revis in their respective primes, but he has the look of a very serviceable future starter to me.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I agree on Montee. His run style is patient and doesn't lend itself to taking big hits.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Montee Ball was very impressive IMO. Looks more comfortable in the ZBS and is showing to be the north south runner we've been looking for. Still has much to prove, but I wouldn't bet against him at this point.

Wasn't a great showing for Julius, but I can see him having an impact on Sundays. Very athletic, which makes him a match up nightmare for defenses. Especially when Welker returns.

No major injuries, and depending on Bailey and Wolfe, looks like we'll be full strength for the Balt opener. Offense will be 100%. These guys may be unstoppable in that game
ZBS? Ive read we aren't going to use much of the ZBS. I seen a lot of running between the tackles... more power run then anything.. anyone can confirm or deny this?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I didn't see what you saw with McCree, I think I noted one good play from him.

I thought Steven Johnson (#53) showed well for himself. Looked like he was getting snaps as WLB with Lenon in the middle. He showed good play diagnosis and was involved on most of his reps.

I agree that Irving looks good, but only insofar as he's playing SAM. His run diagnosis is great, but he looks lost anytime he's asked to drop back. In my mind, he has no future at MLB, he's a run support SAM only and STer. But I think he can be solid in that capacity.

Last edited by s0phr0syne; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 PM..
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

I must have missed all of Webster's plays. I only remember one. Way too early. Too me if he was an undrafted FA he is a bubble player looking at the practice squad. Being drafted in the 3rd round of course he makes it.

Last edited by Bacchus; 08-24-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
I agree on Montee. His run style is patient and doesn't lend itself to taking big hits.
Montee's TD made me stand up out of my recliner tonight. We need a guy that can drag guys into the end-zone. In the regular season, I have to think that he will be the goal line guy, whether he is the "starter' or not.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Overall Rameriz looked considerably improved both he and Louis V opened up some big holes that helped spring both Hillman and Ball on some of their bigger runs. Manny also was decent in Pass protect aswell as was the whiole first team O line.

Amazing how good Clady is and how the whole line settles in when Ryan is in there.

Manning is on fire already! Way more tuned in and confident than last year at this time and with a lot more zip and distance on his balls both long and short.

Osweiler shows more promise playing with the Ones .. obviously and
it was good to see that . He still has to learn how to finesse the ball a bit and not always though a 200mph smoker! He mainly just needs more playing time with decent players around him. the first two weeks were mostly with third and fourth string Olinemen with guys like Clark and guard subs for Vasquez last week playing on the first team along with what a fourth string center for Oz? No wonder he was running for his life.

MAybe by next year he will be seasoned enough to not make it feel like a disaster if Peyton has to miss a little time at any point next season ( lets not even go there this year).. God forbid!

PS .. Peyton was 73.5% completion percentage .... looks like mid season form to me from the maestro and they are barely getting started!!

Think both Ball, Hillman and Knowshon will evolve into a very effective run game with defenses having their hands more than tied up trying to slow down our awesome passing game!

I hope they dont use Julius as a blocking TE on any more field goal or punt attempts. In fact try to keep him mostly as a WR/TE this year and not where he has to protect Manning, Prater or Colquitt

DRC was very impressive! While I certainly want a healthy Champ out there, DRCs play could make it almost a blessing in disquise for Champ to get a couple games off and make sure he is 110% before coming back so he has plenty of legs left at the ned of the season and playfoffs.

I think we will get a decent amount of QB pressure while Von is out .. Derek will be back and Malik looks like a real player .. Slyvester looks good out there at times too with a couple wicked spin moves that hurried Bradford a couple times too. Woodyard was stud-ly on blitz as well. Philips too put the heat on Bradford a number of times and when Von comes back there should be a pretty well-oiled rush that will take it to a whole other level with a determined to redeem himself Von back on the war path with fresh legs at week 7.

again cant say enough about Clady, I just finished watching the game again slowly with lots of rewinds and Manning had all day while Clady was in there. Only one real mistake I noticed from the Oline while Clady was out there and it wasnt on Clady .. and this was the team that tied us for sacks last year and they were almost helpless with pressure.

Only Ogletree almost got Peyton that I noticed and hit him solid after Peyton completed a nice pass. Drooling a bit thinking of if we had paired Olgetree with Von for the long term :-) .. still Sly Williams looks he will grow quickly into a solid DT for us as well.

Wont be surprised to see Malik take Ayers starting role on the left side DE before half way through the season.

ST has to get cleaned up this week! two games in a row we get gashed on the left side of the field with wide open barely touched returners taking it basically to teh house. As mentioned above, that second good put return by Austin was allowed by one or our gunners running straight past Austin on the right side and going some yards behind and to Austins left before Austin even caught the ball! He obviously wasnt even looking at the returner of he could have stopped him cold after the catch.

All of that is correctable thank goodness, but they have to shut those mistake down ASAP before week 1.

All in All though a good overall third preseason game in spite of the number of injuries out on defense plus Welker out for the O. Luckily on Omar Boldin was out with a sprain ankle and likely wont miss much time.

Last edited by Hulamau; 08-24-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Hulamau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Our first and second team D held the Rams to around 5o total net yards rushing and only 175 total passing yards all night.

Again the score was MUCH closer than the game was due to those untimely fumbles by Ronnie coughing up the 'strip 7' by Ogletree and Brock muffing the snap with forth string Center both near Rams goal line , Balls dropped pass in his hands on our the two yard line making us settle for 3, and Austin's kick off return setting up a free beginning 7 due to terrible ST coverage.

Now too worried that we wont correct the vast majority of those issues in the coming weeks and first month. If we can just stay relatively healthy this year we are gonna be wicked by the time Champ and Von are back.
Hulamau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
[*]Woodyard is so much a better of a player than DJ Williams, it's not even close. I really look forward to him enjoying a larger role this season.
With all due respect to Champ, Woodyard may be the 2nd best player on defense. jmho.

Quote:
[*]I don't understand why Nate Irving doesn't get more time and other people keep getting reps ahead of him. It's not like Terry Pearce (Pierce?) where he never did anything in preseason either. Irving is making plays.
I don't understand it either. Well, he will probably get a lot of playing time Thursday because Von probably won't play, at least he shouldn't, imo. Irving plays with confidence, so I am not sure what is going on.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Overall the defense played well, as they held the Rams to under 200 total yards....the Rams scored 16 points off 4 Broncos turnovers....add in the punt return that set up their initial score, the Broncos would have run away with this game.

Those posters on here b****ing about this guy or that guy are just emotional vaginas who have to have something to flap their lips about.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Our first and second team D held the Rams to around 5o total net yards rushing and only 175 total passing yards all night.

Again the score was MUCH closer than the game was due to those untimely fumbles by Ronnie coughing up the 'strip 7' by Ogletree and Brock muffing the snap with forth string Center both near Rams goal line , Balls dropped pass in his hands on our the two yard line making us settle for 3, and Austin's kick off return setting up a free beginning 7 due to terrible ST coverage.

Now too worried that we wont correct the vast majority of those issues in the coming weeks and first month. If we can just stay relatively healthy this year we are gonna be wicked by the time Champ and Von are back.
Actually, I was more impressed with the 2nd team D tonight, because it shows quality depth. They played lights out and only gave up a short-td after the Oz fumble.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post

Yeah, id take this with a grain of salt and chalk it up to sample size. The offense is moving pretty dang well.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Julius might not be "awesome," but considering he had 7 catches in essentially a game (from PM over the last two), 50 catches and a handful of TD's isn't out of the realm of possibility (assume he gets the PT). I assume when Dreesen comes back, he'll flank out more like Tamme did last year. I'll take that from him. He's just going to improve.

'm sure his blocking won't suck forever. Even Sharpe improved in this area.

Last edited by SonOfLe-loLang; 08-24-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Anyone still worried about Gase being a first time OC? I know its only preseason, but he is delivering on his promise to go "uptempo". Once they clean up the TO's, this offense will be a tough match up for any defense.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Anyone still worried about Gase being a first time OC? I know its only preseason, but he is delivering on his promise to go "uptempo". Once they clean up the TO's, this offense will be a tough match up for any defense.
Was anyone ever worried about it to begin with?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Was anyone ever worried about it to begin with?
Of course, this is the Mane.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Gase is not the OC. Peyton does whatever he wants, doesn't even look to the sideline. Any failings or success can be planted right at Mannings feet.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #24
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

I wouldn't worry about special teams tackling or blocking in the pre-season because a lot of those guys out there right now won't even make the team they are subbing guys in and out to see who can make the 53 from making plays on special teams and some guys are just blowing it big time.

Also Nate Irving has been great this preseason I don't get why hes not a starter, but he will be for 6 weeks so we can see the good and the bad hopefully its just the good that shows.

Last edited by KevinJames; 08-25-2013 at 01:23 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #25
Action

Quote:
  • As catostrophic as Hillman's fumbles have been, I do believe he'll develop into a playmaker for this team. I just don't know if feature back is his forte. His size makes it easy to stand him up and he isn't strong enough to resist the strip attempts when he runs inside.
  • Ogletree is a really impressive player. Kudos to the rams for getting a real dynamic linebacker.
  • Ryan Clady looks like best left tackle in football. If you didn't notice how powerful he was in really every aspect, just look at what happened to our offense when he left for precautionary reasons after the first quarter.
  • Zane Beadles is back to his hot and cold ways. He missed a couple of blocks and needs to finish when he gets up-field. It's preseason so he can iron that out.
  • Woodyard is so much a better of a player than DJ Williams, it's not even close. I really look forward to him enjoying a larger role this season.
  • I don't understand why Nate Irving doesn't get more time and other people keep getting reps ahead of him. It's not like Terry Pearce (Pierce?) where he never did anything in preseason either. Irving is making plays.
  • Lerentee McCree won't clear waivers. And even trying to hide him on the fourth team won't work because he'll keep making plays late in games and people will see. We aren't deep enough at linebacker, and enough teams are thin enough elsewhere, where you can cut him and expect to land him on the PS.
  • Rogers-Cromartie looked good. With him, Champ, Harris and Carter, we will have enough help when all are healthy to still have a serviceable defense even during Von's suspension.
  • Peyton Manning is awesome. The rapidity of the offense was amazing.
  • Britton Colquitt is awesome.
  • I'm glad they let Osweiller and the line get more reps in the second half. Osweiller needs the time with the ones so he can play on a unit that isn't awful and the line needs as much time as possible.
  • Best news of the night: No major injuries.
Pretty much agree. Kayvon Webster is a big and physical CB...his size definitely stands out with his size and he has speed. His technique needs a lot of work, but I think he will stick around in this league.

Hillman's fumbles have been getting a little overhyped. Everyone fumbles, there have been many RBs his size that have started in the NFL. Chris Johnson weighs less than him.

People need to go educate themselves on how many times RBs fumble in the NFL per season.

The top 4 running backs last season had 16 fumbles alone.

And lastly, it's the pre-season. If he's going to **** up and make mistakes, this is the time to do it. He will get coached and learn.

I also like DRC a lot. He has elite physical skills and talent. He's riding a one year contract so he'll most definitely be tuned in this season.

Last edited by Action; 08-25-2013 at 04:25 AM..