The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Update: It's done! Whoo! Bronco Bros I Need Your Help: Excel VBA Script to Standardize Names

Hey Guys - First of all my sincerest apologies for placing this on main page after entering On-Season mode yesterday, but I really need some help to keep my job and this is last my hope. I know this will be moved. Sorry once again.

I am at work (on a Saturday) beating my head against my desk trying to standardize names to make a report. Keep in mind, I have no previous VBA experience. This is what I am dealing with:

My boss gets invoices in Excel from three different staffing agencies that supply our company with workers. But each staffing agency lists the names of the workers in different formats. Staffing Agency One puts the last name in column A and the first name in column B; Staffing Agency Two puts the complete name in one cell in [last name, first name format] (Doe, John) ; and Staffing Agency Three puts the complete name in one cell as well but puts it in [first name last name format] (John Doe). And these variations happen for, literally, almost a thousand contract workers.

I need to take all that disjointed data and put into a standardized format that I can then import into Access.

I'm taking baby steps here and trying to at least standardize names into the same format. Ultimately, I want all that data to look like this:

Since I don't know how to code, I searched the web for a VBA script, and I found something on an Excel message board for a guy who was also trying to standardize some names but based off slightly different criteria/data as seen below.

Here is the script the guy posted to standardize his names but it gets a "Subscript out of range" error. Microsoft Help suggests using a For Each....Next construct instead of specifying index elements - whatever that means.

This is my last hope, guys. I'll post another post below for an entertaining backdrop to this story. I'm neither a writer or a programmer. I do know that I am a desperate man trying to keep his job and any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bronco0608; 08-26-2013 at 05:52 AM..
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links