The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #76
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
THAT deserves a positive reputation.

You have been swooning over me since you came here. Everybody knows it. Lets make out.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #77
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You have been swooning over me since you came here. Everybody knows it. Lets make out.
Keep up with that talk and I'll hump your leg.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #78
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Keep up with that talk and I'll hump your leg.
Impossible. I am Max Cleeland.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #79
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What do ratings have to do with double standards in racial attack reporting, unless you think Americans want this?
Generally, the people who watch a news outlet like NBC are going to be a lot less inclined to want to see a story like this on the news than they are something about, say, voting rights.

Just as people who watch Fox News are going to be less likely to watch if theyre being told that polls show Obama ahead of Romney, which is why Fox News only reported on the favorable polls as well as their "internal polling".

It is, pretty simply stated, catering to your customer base. It's why a vegetarian restaurant wouldn't serve meat, and why Taco Bell doesn't serve hamburgers.

Pretty simple, really. So unless you're ready to accept state run news agencies, I'd suggest you acknowledge the bias of ALL for-profit media, and not just those dirty libruls.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #80
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What do ratings have to do with double standards in racial attack reporting, unless you think Americans want this?
Ratings dictate everything,it is how they make money. The better the ratings the more that can be charged on advertisements.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #81
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Impossible. I am Max Cleeland.
You're mine, buddy.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #82
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Generally, the people who watch a news outlet like NBC are going to be a lot less inclined to want to see a story like this on the news than they are something about, say, voting rights.

Just as people who watch Fox News are going to be less likely to watch if theyre being told that polls show Obama ahead of Romney, which is why Fox News only reported on the favorable polls as well as their "internal polling".

It is, pretty simply stated, catering to your customer base. It's why a vegetarian restaurant wouldn't serve meat, and why Taco Bell doesn't serve hamburgers.

Pretty simple, really. So unless you're ready to accept state run news agencies, I'd suggest you acknowledge the bias of ALL for-profit media, and not just those dirty libruls.
It's too lopsided for me to believe that. What I see is a combination of certain topics that are too taboo to touch specifically for their being uncomfortable for liberals and others that are touched dishonestly consistent with political correctness. Do the markets dictate that we want the media to spin and lie to us and tell us what values to hold or are journalists taking it upon themselves to use their access to media as a soap box as well as propaganda outlet for government and other powerful people?

I don't want a state media but I do want the return of more balanced journalism in which sides are presented without biased input or judgment from the narrator. CNN was a quality channel in the 80s and actually reported quality investigative news, but now part of its mission is liberal social activism. It has that content on the front page of its website on a daily basis.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #83
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It's too lopsided for me to believe that. What I see is a combination of certain topics that are too taboo to touch specifically for their being uncomfortable for liberals and others that are touched dishonestly consistent with political correctness. Do the markets dictate that we want the media to spin and lie to us and tell us what values to hold or are journalists taking it upon themselves to use their access to media as a soap box as well as propaganda outlet for government and other powerful people?

I don't want a state media but I do want the return of more balanced journalism in which sides are presented without biased input or judgment from the narrator. CNN was a quality channel in the 80s and actually reported quality investigative news, but now part of its mission is liberal social activism. It has that content on the front page of its website on a daily basis.
You can believe what you want, but its obvious you don't watch a whole lot of media. I, on the other hand, since I quit working and started staying home with the kids, have nothing better to do during my downtime than watch news and my Detroit Tigers. It's not lopsided in the least. It's media providing a service to the people who watch their advertisers.

If you think there's a market for unbiased news, by all means go out there and start one. Of course, if you think the librul media is more biased than the conservative media, then you probably don't have a very good chance of being able to create an unbiased outlet of your own, because you either have your yea buried in the sand, are too biased yourself to realize it, or both.

Personally, I don't think there's a market for unbiased news, whatever that means. I'm not even sure it would be possible, but even if it were, there aren't enough people who will listen to things they don't want to hear to make it profitable, ie, a business.

Don't you think, in all your belief in the "free market", that if there were an audience for "unbiased" news, there would already be one? Or is that what you call Fox News??

Last edited by houghtam; 08-23-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #84
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
The Oklahoma suspects? All black. "Biracial" is a term not even 30 years old for mulattoes always identified as black apparently coined by some leftist campus activist-goons. If you wish to use the term biracial, then you're going to have to call nearly all blacks in the country as such due to their genetic makeup.
You're biracial too.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #85
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
You can believe what you want, but its obvious you don't watch a whole lot of media. I, on the other hand, since I quit working and started staying home with the kids, have nothing better to do during my downtime than watch news and my Detroit Tigers. It's not lopsided in the least. It's media providing a service to the people who watch their advertisers.

If you think there's a market for unbiased news, by all means go out there and start one. Of course, if you think the librul media is more biased than the conservative media, then you probably don't have a very good chance of being able to create an unbiased outlet of your own, because you either have your yea buried in the sand, are too biased yourself to realize it, or both.

Personally, I don't think there's a market for unbiased news, whatever that means. I'm not even sure it would be possible, but even if it were, there aren't enough people who will listen to things they don't want to hear to make it profitable, ie, a business.

Don't you think, in all your belief in the "free market", that if there were an audience for "unbiased" news, there would already be one? Or is that what you call Fox News??
I think Nyuk proved two of your points with this little bit.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't watch any cable news networks. But then again, the Fox News rumble is just another lefty canard. Please, continue.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...3&postcount=21
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #86
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

Good find, I had forgotten about that. It was during his "Word of the Day" phase.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #87
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
You're biracial too.
Actually I'm not. Invoking a one drop rule from 500 years ago isn't going to cut it. I'll file your post under "media science" and move on.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 08-23-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #88
nyuk nyuk

Quote:

I've watched plenty of it in my lifetime. I don't watch much anymore because I got sick and tired of the bias and the political/ideological drum beating. As I stated, the market doesn't explain the ideological undercurrents common in media as well as the universally taboo topics they all avoid like the plague.

As much as people complain about the poor quality of news reporting in terms of bias and ideological blinders, I have a very hard time believing in the idea that the behavior of these people is market-driven, especially with the largely left slant in media. Little has a right slant outside of Fox News. Nothing on TV does. You have to go to radio shows and websites.

Unbiased news simply means reporting events without ideological undercurrent, taking sides, and so forth. They're more able to do it on a local TV news level, but when you get to national news, you can largely forget it.

That isn't journalism. People don't like being told who is the good guy and what to think.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #89
nyuk nyuk

Quote:

Proved what point? When people rumble about one outlet and one outlet ONLY, it indicates the bias of the complainer far more than it does the single outlet they're whining about. What they're saying between the lines is that they don't mind biased media, just bias that doesn't match their own.

I am not impressed.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #90
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've watched plenty of it in my lifetime. I don't watch much anymore because I got sick and tired of the bias and the political/ideological drum beating. As I stated, the market doesn't explain the ideological undercurrents common in media as well as the universally taboo topics they all avoid like the plague.

As much as people complain about the poor quality of news reporting in terms of bias and ideological blinders, I have a very hard time believing in the idea that the behavior of these people is market-driven, especially with the largely left slant in media. Little has a right slant outside of Fox News. Nothing on TV does. You have to go to radio shows and websites.

Unbiased news simply means reporting events without ideological undercurrent, taking sides, and so forth. They're more able to do it on a local TV news level, but when you get to national news, you can largely forget it.

That isn't journalism. People don't like being told who is the good guy and what to think.
Hey, you can believe what you want. Like I said, if there were a market for it, there'd already be one. There's not, so there isn't. Pretty simple.

You disagree?

Go found one and make billions.

Of course you just contradicted yourself in the last line. People like being told what to think, which is why unbiased news is a sheer impossibility.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #91
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Hey, you can believe what you want. Like I said, if there were a market for it, there'd already be one. There's not, so there isn't. Pretty simple.

You disagree?

Go found one and make billions.
So you actually think there's a huge market for selective racial outrage and the endless pandering to blacks and treating them like wounded animals?

Okie dokie.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #92
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So you actually think there's a huge market for selective racial outrage and the endless pandering to blacks and treating them like wounded animals?

Okie dokie.
Nope, I just think people would rather hear about other things, and there's only so much time in the day.

I also find it funny that one on hand you admit you never watch (anymore) and yet you complain about something you don't watch, and so could not possibly have a clue as to what they're actually covering. I can say for a fact that several MSNBC hosts mentioned some of these incidents, but it doesn't really do much to tell you...you repeatedly posted faux anger about the librul media not covering drone policies and military suicide rates, yet when I posted a link that proved you wrong, you didn't even address it.

I would suggest you stop whining about coverage that you don't watch, because it makes you look stupid. It would be like me complaining about the Detroit Red Wings' roster moves even though haven't watched hockey in years.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #93
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

88-year-old WWII veteran Delbert beaten to death by two black teens.

CBS) SPOKANE, Wash. -- Police in Spokane, Wash. have arrested a juvenile male in connection with the Wednesday beating death of an outside an Eagles Ice-A-Rena, CBS affiliate KREM reports.

The boy was booked on first degree robbery and first degree murder charges, the station reports.

Police say two teens are suspected in the beating death of Delbert Belton, who was shot in the leg during the Battle of Okinawa, where thousands of American soldiers died. Images of the two teen suspects were captured on surveillance video, police said.

Authorities say the two young men, between 16 and 19-years-old, approached Delbert Belton in his car Wednesday night outside the Ice-A-Rena as he was waiting for a friend.

The victim's daughter-in-law said Belton was hit with "big heavy flashlights" and doctors told her he was bleeding from all parts of his face, reports the station.

"The way he died, you expect older people to die. But not that way," the daughter-in-law, Bobbie Belton, told the station. "They shouldn't have beaten him up. That was a bad thing. You don't do those kind of things."

Belton had reportedly gone to the lodge to play pool with a friend when he was attacked.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...n-report-says/

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #94
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
88-year-old WWII veteran Delbert beaten to death by two black teens.

CBS) SPOKANE, Wash. -- Police in Spokane, Wash. have arrested a juvenile male in connection with the Wednesday beating death of an outside an Eagles Ice-A-Rena, CBS affiliate KREM reports.

The boy was booked on first degree robbery and first degree murder charges, the station reports.

Police say two teens are suspected in the beating death of Delbert Belton, who was shot in the leg during the Battle of Okinawa, where thousands of American soldiers died. Images of the two teen suspects were captured on surveillance video, police said.

Authorities say the two young men, between 16 and 19-years-old, approached Delbert Belton in his car Wednesday night outside the Ice-A-Rena as he was waiting for a friend.

The victim's daughter-in-law said Belton was hit with "big heavy flashlights" and doctors told her he was bleeding from all parts of his face, reports the station.

"The way he died, you expect older people to die. But not that way," the daughter-in-law, Bobbie Belton, told the station. "They shouldn't have beaten him up. That was a bad thing. You don't do those kind of things."

Belton had reportedly gone to the lodge to play pool with a friend when he was attacked.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...n-report-says/
Another tragedy...
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #95
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Pat Buchanan nails it AGAIN....

Last Friday, Christopher Lane, a 22-year-old Australian here on a baseball scholarship, was shot and killed while jogging in Duncan, Okla., population 23,000. He died where he fell.

Police have three suspects, two black and one white. The former said they were bored and decided to shoot Lane for “the fun of it.”

As Lane was white and the shooter black, racism has surfaced as a motive. Thursday came reports that killing a white man may have been an initiation rite for the black teens in joining some offshoot of the Crips or Bloods.

What happened in Oklahoma and the reaction, or lack of reaction to it, tells us much about America in 2013, not much of it good.

Teenagers who can shoot and kill a man out of summertime boredom are moral barbarians, dead souls.

If we go back to the end of World War II, 90 percent of black families consisted of a mother and father and children raised and disciplined by their parents. The churches to which these families went on Sundays were stronger. Black schools may have been largely segregated, but they were also the transmission belts of patriotism and traditional values rooted in biblical truths and a Christian faith.

Though such schools graduated hardworking, law-abiding and productive citizens, today they would be closed as unconstitutional.

Indeed, all of those character- and conscience-forming institutions of yesterday are in an advanced state of decline today.

Seventy-three percent of black kids are born to single moms. Black kids who make it to 12th grade may often be found reading at seventh-, eighth- or ninth-grade levels. In some cities the black dropout rate can hit as high as 50 percent.

Drugs are readily available. And among black males ages 18 to 29, in urban areas, often a third are in prison or jail, or on probation or parole, or walking around with a criminal record.

Where do the kids get their ideas of right and wrong, good and evil? In homes where the father is absent and the TV is always on. From radios tuned in to rap and hip-hop. From films where Hollywood values prevail and the shooting never stops. From street gangs that sometimes form the only families these kids have ever known.

Still, crime has fallen since 1990, we are told.

And so it has. But that is only because the baby boomers, the largest population cohort in our history, passed out of the high-crime age group a quarter of a century ago, and because the jail and prison population in America has tripled

What kind of leadership do we see today in Black America?

What can be said for an NAACP that was lately demanding a Justice Department investigation of a rodeo clown running around a bull ring in rural Missouri in an Obama mask, but cannot find its voice to address a black-on-white atrocity in Middle America?

When Trayvon Martin was shot to death in a murky incident in Sanford, Fla., Jesse Jackson rushed there to declare: “Blacks are under attack. … Killing us is big business.” Trayvon was “shot down in cold blood by a vigilante … murdered and martyred.”

After Chris Lane’s cold-blooded murder, Jesse tweeted: This sort of thing is to be “frowned upon.”

If I had a son, said President Obama, he would have looked like Trayvon; 35 years ago, I could have been Trayvon. Can the president not find his voice to speak to the parents of Chris Lane?

Since Lyndon Johnson took office, 50 years ago, we have spent trillions on his programs for health care, housing, education, food stamps, welfare and civil rights. Are we living in that Great Society we were promised?

In that same decade, we were told that the social, cultural and moral revolution bursting forth on the campuses would rid us of the repressive old-time morality and Old Time Religion, and lead to a more equal, just, humane and better America, a beacon to mankind.

Yet, are not the killers of Chris Lane who shot him for the fun of it the “do-your-own-thing!” children of that cultural revolution?

The death of Trayvon was said to be reflective of the real America, a country where black folks live in constant fear of white vigilantes and white racist cops. What nonsense.

In the real America, interracial violence is overwhelmingly black-on-white. Even if the media will not report it, everybody knows it.

And journalists will not dig into the numbers that prove it, for the truth would undermine their ideology and contradict the narrative that governs and gives meaning to their lives.

For liberals, America is always “Mississippi Burning.” It just has to be that way.
But who created these monsters? Where did they come from? Surely one explanation lies in the fact that the old conscience-forming and character-forming institutions – home, church, school and a moral and healthy culture fortifying basic truths – have collapsed. And the community hardest hit is Black America.
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #96
El Minion
Ring of Famer

The right’s black crime obsession

Conservative media's total fixation on black-on-black and black-on-white crime isn't going to end. Here's why
BY BRIAN BEUTLER

There are a few black people up to no good in this country and Fox News is on it! So is Drudge Report. Vigilantly on the lookout, 24 hours a day, for stories about black youths behaving badly.

This isn’t a particularly new phenomenon, but it’s intensified noticeably in the past year for at least two reasons. Conservatives, particularly white conservatives, feel a burning urgency to find a racial counterweight to the aftermath of Trayvon Martin’s shooting (including President Obama’s public comments about the incident), a logical response to the argument that things like background checks and an assault weapons ban are appropriate ways to reduce the likelihood of another Sandy Hook-style massacre, and anecdotal justifications for indiscriminate policing of dangerous neighborhoods.

But these are hopeless pursuits. The incidents they draw attention to fail by definition to underscore the things they believe. They all require projecting motives or details or both into tragic events, to create false dichotomies between shootings perpetrated by whites and blacks. They have the unhealthy effect of creating dueling tallies of white-on-black and black-on-white crime. And ironically they all tend to underscore the argument that more “stand your ground” laws and more racial profiling are off-point responses to these incidents.

The latest conservative cri de coeur is over the tragic shooting death of Chris Lane, a 22-year-old Australian attending East Central University in Oklahoma on a baseball scholarship. Two teen boys spotted Lane on a jog last week, trailed him in a car, and allegedly shot him fatally in the back (a third teen reportedly served as their driver). One of the suspects said the boys committed the murder out of boredom.

Word of the shooting spread quickly. And that’s when the right clumsily revealed that its obsession with gun violence reflects an obsession with racial score settling rather than with averting further tragedies. The conservative media, including Fox News, repeated the claim that the Oklahoma suspects were all black. But this turned out to be a toxic mix of racial bias and wishful thinking. You almost wonder whether the people whose ulterior motives led them into error like this actually lamented the fact that one of the suspects happened to be white. It would be so much more convenient if that weren’t the case.

But let’s pretend for a minute that the suspects had all fit the stereotype the hosts at Fox and Friends wanted. Then the idea is that Chris Lane’s death should somehow offset Trayvon Martin’s, or that the people who sought to turn George Zimmerman’s actions into a national referendum on “stand your ground” laws are somehow hypocritical for having little to say when the races of the culprits and innocent victims are reversed. For reactionary Obama foes like former Rep. Allen West, R-Fla., the obvious question is, “Whom will POTUS identify w/this time?”

I’ll give West, et al., this: If you ignore motive, circumstance, history and (likely) outcome, then liberals, particularly black liberals, sure seem craven. By that standard, though, Jean Valjean and John, King of England are moral equals — just a couple of guys with similar names taking other people’s property.

So let’s review: George Zimmerman wouldn’t have shot Trayvon Martin if he hadn’t been profiling by race. And even if he had been, the shooting feasibly wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t been legally allowed to carry a handgun and didn’t think he was empowered by law to take matters into his own hands. The monstrous killing of Chris Lane has no such back story. The killers apparently had no motive whatsoever, were armed illegally, and certainly weren’t trailing Lane because they believed, based on his race, that he might be a criminal. They are, however, likely to face serious prison time for their crimes. Zimmerman walked.

Put that all together, and it turns out these stories aren’t counter-parallel at all. And more to the point, the events don’t even anecdotally augur for policies the right supports. The kids in Oklahoma weren’t “standing their ground,” and a “stand your ground” law wouldn’t have saved Chris Lane. Neither would a stop-and-frisk regime — the killers were trailing him in a car. By contrast, a “stand your ground” environment and a stop-and-frisk mentality were instrumental in Trayvon Martin’s death. Take either away, and there’s a good chance he’d be alive today. Martin in fact personified the statistical folly of stop-and-frisk. If Zimmerman had yielded to real police, they would have, in absence of any suspicious behavior, stopped Martin, frisked him and found only the skittles and iced tea that made his death that much more tragically poignant.

You could twist that into a claim that stop-and-frisk might have saved Martin’s life. But that gets the onus backward. Proponents of profiling policies need to do better than argue we have to violate the civil rights of minorities in order to protect them from hair-triggered vigilantes.

What might well have stopped both killings, though, is making it harder for people, legally or illegally, to come into possession of handguns. That’s a conversation the right is less obsessed with.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #97
W*GS
Ring of Famer

The Right is just dog-whistling to the bigots in their base.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #98
houghtam
Ring of Famer

And notice how quickly Buchanan glosses over that one of the accused was white.

It doesn't fit his narrative.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #99
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Maybe it's because the left media never address it unless it's within a narrow context of blaming whites? It seems to me that if the right media is obsessed with black crime, than the left media are at least as obsessed about underreporting and covering it up.

This article can only be posted because a black guy wrote it --

Don’t Ignore Race in Christopher Lane’s Murder
The association of young black men with violence doesn't come out of thin air
Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #100
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
The Right is just dog-whistling to the bigots in their base.
Isn't blaming high black crime rates on whites bigotry?