The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default OT: life in Silicon Valley

So I'm interviewing with one of the big tech companies in the bay area. I'm a little nervous about moving all the way out there (I'm in Charlotte, NC area now), and have absolutely no friends or family anywhere west of I-25.

I understand cost of living is high, housing especially. I'm assuming salaries are high to compensate - no dice otherwise. I love Charlotte and the Carolinas but hate my job...this company is what I consider top-of the line, state of the art in what I do and it would be an honor to work there, doubt I'd consider the move if it was for anyone else.

So for the Bay area football guys - what are your impressions? likes/dislikes? Can you smell oakland from the south end of the bay? What are the good areas, and what areas should be avoided? What should I keep in mind while considering any potential offer?

Unfortunately, they wanted me in for a 2-day interview on 9/5 and 9/6, overlapping Ravens game. Looks like I won't get to enjoy the game from the comfort of my house. 5:30 PDT kickoff probably means I won't even get to watch the first half...ugh.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Are you serious You are talking about a potential job (career ) of a lifetime and you have time to whine about missing a game. If you are even remotely concerned about missing a football game, the job is not for you.
just my 2 cents worth.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Are you serious You are talking about a potential job (career ) of a lifetime and you have time to whine about missing a game. If you are even remotely concerned about missing a football game, the job is not for you.
just my 2 cents worth.
oh, I'm going. Doesn't mean I cant b**** about it. This is the mane, right?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
just my 2 cents worth.
****in lighten up, Francis.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
So I'm interviewing with one of the big tech companies in the bay area. I'm a little nervous about moving all the way out there (I'm in Charlotte, NC area now), and have absolutely no friends or family anywhere west of I-25.

I understand cost of living is high, housing especially. I'm assuming salaries are high to compensate - no dice otherwise. I love Charlotte and the Carolinas but hate my job...this company is what I consider top-of the line, state of the art in what I do and it would be an honor to work there, doubt I'd consider the move if it was for anyone else.

So for the Bay area football guys - what are your impressions? likes/dislikes? Can you smell oakland from the south end of the bay? What are the good areas, and what areas should be avoided? What should I keep in mind while considering any potential offer?

Unfortunately, they wanted me in for a 2-day interview on 9/5 and 9/6, overlapping Ravens game. Looks like I won't get to enjoy the game from the comfort of my house. 5:30 PDT kickoff probably means I won't even get to watch the first half...ugh.
Why don't you try and get in with Red Hat, then you could just move to Raleigh. They are hiring in drives right now, because they are quickly becoming a leading tech firm in the US.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Why don't you try and get in with Red Hat, then you could just move to Raleigh. They are hiring in drives right now, because they are quickly becoming a leading tech firm in the US.
not a bad idea, but I'm not a software guy. I'm a mechanical engineer.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Or IBM, I was at their Triangle Park Research center where they developed Watson among other systems about 7-8 years ago.

All I remember about the trip outside of Triangle Park was that there were lots of pine trees.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

If it is an established company like Cisco then do whatever you can to go, you likely will be working more than living and those campuses are usually geared to keep you there working anyway.

If it is a startup then bail, good luck.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic

I'm about an hour south of there. I'm not sure what type of weather you like but IMO this area is by far the best weather wise. Sure there's earthquakes but they only last for seconds. Silicon Valley is far enough away from Oakland that you won't even know. There's little communities like los gatos Campbell and Sunnyvale around that area. Los Gatos is pretty sweet and only about 20 mins or so over highway 17 to Santa Cruz(ocean). You aren't far away from SF either. I prefer living by the ocean(I'm in monterey/Carmel). San Jose has its good and bad. Great shopping in Santana row/valley fair. As far as the state govt well it sucks. Cali is filled with libs and run into the ground because of it(part of the high cost of living) but I'm in such an amazing spot of the country that I can't live inland. I need an oceans edge. I'm in an area where I can surf in the morning snowboard in the afternoon. Lake Tahoe is a playground for the Silicon Valley population.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 08-19-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Umm I hear there is some good tech in Myrtle Beach.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Where is the job actually at? In the city? In the valley? The whole area is pretty amazing. It's gorgeous. The weather is generally nice. Year round fresh fruit and seafood is awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of actual silicone valley. Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc... just aren't for me. The city is amazing, but stupidly expensive. There are few areas to avoid in the city itself (the Tenderloin I suppose). Just know that $4k/month doesn't necessarily go very far.

I had a friend just move into Oakland and the area he's in (close to Downtown really) seemed pretty nice. Just don't plan on going to many 49'ers game since they're moving the team almost down to freaking L.A. (well Santa Clara, but close enough).
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

i was in the Bay area 2 weeks ago for vacation with the fiance. I am not sure how traffic is in the area you currently live, but compared with Denver traffic it is ****ing terrible. it isn't that there are so many cars on the road, it is that a lot of the streets are really ****ing narrow and people just randomly stop in the middle of the street. California is land to the worst drivers on the planet.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

My sister lived in SF for 4 years and loved it. She lived in the Mission (now quickly gentrifying) and also close to Golden Gate park - each time I visited I thought the food was amazing and the park was pretty cool as well. She had to live in a house with a bunch of other people to afford but it but she only has fond memories. Not sure if this helps given that most of the big tech companies are about 45min drive south of San Fran.

I also have family out in Fremont (45-1hr south of oakland) and have visted a couple times and I agree with the BroncoMan - it takes forever to get anywhere driving. Things are pretty spread out but the weather is awesome.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've been to San Jose and Cupertino area a few times. I thought it was nice. You're also close a a million awesome things.

* Ocean
* Napa Valley
* SF
* Carmel
* Lake Tahoe
* Yosimite
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:

I lived in San Jose/Milpitas for a couple of years back in the Dot Com/Bomb days, I moved to Raleigh at the end of 2001. If you love Charlotte and the Carolinas, I suspect you aren't going to be happy in the Bay Area.

The traffic was horrible (8 mile drive to work took 45+ mins, good Lord help you if it rained and would double that). Probably going to take 3x your Charlotte salary to afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood with decent schools that's only 1-1.5 hour commute. 12+ years ago, my share of the rent for a house in an okay neighborhood was equal to my entire mortgage on my own in Cary, NC.

No one probably could pay me enough to live there again.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Or IBM, I was at their Triangle Park Research center where they developed Watson among other systems about 7-8 years ago.

All I remember about the trip outside of Triangle Park was that there were lots of pine trees.
IBM is laying off tons of people in Raleigh...I'm getting their applications left and right. Very hard for some of the IBM Lifers to enter back into working society so we generally avoid them.