The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #51
NorCalBronco7

We'll see how many snaps Woodyard takes at MLB on base downs. Im skeptical. Maybe he can be a decent player there, but I dont think he has the skill set to be a difference maker in the middle.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #52
toad
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Clark

My guess: Irving plays Von's spot during the suspension (I think that's obvious) then phases back into MLB when Von returns.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #53
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
We'll see how many snaps Woodyard takes at MLB on base downs. Im skeptical. Maybe he can be a decent player there, but I dont think he has the skill set to be a difference maker in the middle.
Out of curiosity. Which "Skills" does he lack?
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #54
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
So we lost 5 starters for varying periods of time because Pete Carroll wanted to make a statement in the 2nd pre season game.
I've seen this several times, and I don't get it at all. It's a football game. You come out tentative and you are going to get hurt.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #55
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

And if Irving is going to move back to MLB, I think it would be a much better idea to keep him at MLB (and develop some game time at that position in the NFL) and have Trevathan play SLB (or Phillips) while Von is out.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Out of curiosity. Which "Skills" does he lack?
Getting off the block would be the most important one. Woodyard often gets engulfed in the run game when lineman get there hands on him. That a pretty big deal for a MLB.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Odd timing, surely doing this in camp might have made more sense?
How is this odd timing? Bradley was the starter and now he is hurt. Did Bradly's injury come at an odd time?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #58
FrankieTwoThumbs

Quote:
Getting off the block would be the most important one. Woodyard often gets engulfed in the run game when lineman get there hands on him. That a pretty big deal for a MLB.
I agree. But, if the d line plays to its potential (big if), he should't have to deal with too much from O lineman, in which case he could fit pretty nicely, IMHO. But like I said, I do agree that if the D line doesn't force double teams then he is going to get steamrolled.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #59
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTwoThumbs View Post
I agree. But, if the d line plays to its potential (big if), he should't have to deal with too much from O lineman, in which case he could fit pretty nicely, IMHO. But like I said, I do agree that if the D line doesn't force double teams then he is going to get steamrolled.
I disagree about Woodyard fitting in, but thats a fair point. Dline play will be a factor. Hopefully they can dominate this year both against the run and pass.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #60
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Is it Lerentee time?
It would be nice if he and Quanterus could come in and kick some ass.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #61
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
It would be nice if he and Quanterus could come in and kick some ass.
Word is Q has a brace on his knee and its bothering him.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I've seen this several times, and I don't get it at all. It's a football game. You come out tentative and you are going to get hurt.
Team in thug mode - go bloody some noses - make a statement

Like the hit in the head after he was down on Wolfe
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #63
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Smells like a desperation move. WW is not a MLB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #64
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Team in thug mode - go bloody some noses - make a statement

Like the hit in the head after he was down on Wolfe
Seriously? have you ever played football? The whole point of the game, at least in the trenches, is to physically dominant the other team. If you aren't playing it 100% you will get your ass kicked or hurt.

And the wolfe hit wasn't dirty. The FB was clearing out the hole and saw that Wolfe was getting up to close the hole. he did his job and I would have done the same thing. It's just an unfortunate part of the game.

Last edited by Rascal; 08-19-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #65
Bmore Manning

Let me address this size issue. It doesn't matter if he is 230 or 250. It's all about how he plays. I actually would prefer Trevethan at MLB and think he could play and hold up there.

Our DTs will be two gapping. That means whichever two DTs (Knighton and Vickerson) in whichever order along with Wolfe or Malik will all be two gapping in base downs. This will keep our LBs clean as there are more gaps filled allowing the LBs to flow.

Where I have the issue is Irving starting over Phillips at SOLB. I think Phillips would be a solid replacement option there, bringing a similar skill set *EDIT (Like Von's). Irving may be better verse the run, but is that really worth sacrificing the pass rush Phillips offers?

I said in the beginning of this thread I didn't want Bradley. I mentioned another name and even said some targets in the draft. But that's not where we are today, and today we appear to be Von less for sometime. And I'm not as worried about the run as I am the pass rush..

It will almost be as if we are in Nickel, just with Irving at SAM instead of Phillips for whatever reason..

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 08-19-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #66
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Let me address this size issue. It doesn't matter if he is 230 or 250. It's all about how he plays. I actually would prefer Trevethan at MLB and think he could play and hold up there.

Our DTs will be two gapping. That means whichever two DTs (Knighton and Vickerson) in whichever order along with Wolfe or Malik will all be two gapping in base downs. This will keep our LBs clean as there are more gaps filled allowing the LBs to flow.

Where I have the issue is Irving starting over Phillips at SOLB. I think Phillips would be a solid replacement option there, bringing a similar skill set. Irving may be better verse the run, but is that really worth sacrificing the pass rush Phillips offers?

I said in the beginning of this thread I didn't want Bradley. I mentioned another name and even said some targets in the draft. But that's not where we are today, and today we appear to be Von less for sometime. And I'm not as worried about the run as I am the pass rush..

It will almost be as if we are in Nickel, just with Irving at SAM instead of Phillips for whatever reason..
Irving and Phillips are both in title Sams, but they're not close to having the same skill set. Both their roles are entirely different. Phillips will be on the line most of the time, and Iving will be off the line most of the time. I dont see Irving edge rushing hardly ever from the line like Von does. Why these two guys are being pitted together makes no sense to me.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #67
Agamemnon

I think a linebacking corp of Trevathan-Woodyard-Irving will be quite good to be honest. The pass rush remains a big concern though.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #68
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The problem is that Trevathan has neither the leadership or in-depth understanding of the defense to fill the position properly. Especially considering the guy has only been playing Will since he was drafted.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #69
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Irving and Phillips are both in title Sams, but they're not close to having the same skill set. Both their roles are entirely different. Phillips will be on the line most of the time, and Iving will be off the line most of the time. I dont see Irving edge rushing hardly ever from the line like Von does. Why these two guys are being pitted together makes no sense to me.
Phillips and Von have a similar skill set..

You interpreted that completely wrong..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #70
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The problem is that Trevathan has neither the leadership or in-depth understanding of the defense to fill the position properly. Especially considering the guy has only been playing Will since he was drafted.
He's played both sides in Nickel, not strictly Will. It's not as if Woodyard wouldn't have been making the calls with Irving or Bradley at Mike anyway.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
pricejj
jungle

Thank god. I've had enough of the Bradley/Irving show.

1. Trevathan should be MLB (bigger than Wood).
2. The only difference between Nickel and Base is Chris Harris and Terrance Knighton? Uh, please get Knighton off the field.
3. Wood gets blocked too easily (too small against OG's).

But, it's the best of a bad situation. Guess Brooking ain't coming back.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #72
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Seriously? have you ever played football? The whole point of the game, at least in the trenches, is to physically dominant the other team. If you aren't playing it 100% you will get your ass kicked or hurt.

And the wolfe hit wasn't dirty. The FB was clearing out the hole and saw that Wolfe was getting up to close the hole. he did his job and I would have done the same thing. It's just an unfortunate part of the game.

But driving Manning into the ground and body slamming Hillman are not clean football and the refs let thendirty plays continue.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
pricejj
jungle

Anybody who thinks Irving is anything more than Chukwurah, needs to get their head examined.

Bradley showed his true colors against Seattle. Not dependable. Bad instincts.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #74
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Anybody who thinks Irving is anything more than Chukwurah, needs to get their head examined.
is it the dreads that make you come to that conclusion?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #75
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

Bradley showed his true colors against Seattle. Not dependable. Bad instincts.
Really, how do you make that comparison? Irving hasn't played enough to determine his career path. Why is this board so quick to judge a player that never had the chance to play? These guys aren't first rounders for a reason. They need a chance to play and develop.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote