The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #51
Tom Nalen
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 250

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Isn't he a 3-4 ILB?
Tom Nalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #52
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,963

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
People keep reaming the o-line, and they were definitely shaky. However, no one here has mentioned the poor blocking performance by Julius Thomas. I love the kid, and his catches were sensational, but we are a quarterback-first offense now and we're lucky that Manning came out of that game healthy.

If Dreesen had gotten the start last night, we would have many fewer questions about our offensive line. Once again, I love that Thomas is getting all the reps because he really has a place on this team now, but his run blocking and pass blocking got embarrassing at times.
Agreed. His blocking is very bad. He almost got Osweiler's knee blown out. Imagine if that was Manning taking that shot? Folks here would be up in arms. At this point you can't let this guy start, he's a situational pass catcher and is a liability in the blocking game. He has potential, no doubt but we hear all the time of the importance of backs that can block and if they can't, they don't play. Same thing goes for Thomas.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #53
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,735
Default

Agreed on Julius. Terrible blocking.

Might be time to split him out as a WR, where the only thing he'll have to block is a CB in the running game, and maybe a linebacker.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #54
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I seem to remember same meltdown thread last year after the Seattle preseason game. I thought OL did fine in protecting Manning they just were ManRammed in the running game. Carroll has done a great job building the trenches up there and I think they are the most physical team in the league. Tom Cable is a great coach and I am glad Oakland cut him loose. I sure wish we modeled our RB in the same mode as Seattle vs the little F#$%ING gnats that are 190 lbs soaking wet in full pads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #55
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,963

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I don't know if i'm truly down on the OL/run game or Stewart Bradley yet. I'll say we didn't look very good yesterday. That being said, Denver has had a few injuries and they switched OL concepts, plus they are breaking in two backs that are very green. We need more from those backs, no doubt. I think as the OL settles in and gets comfortable, both of these positions will gel. Doesn't hurt that we have Manning back there opening things up for them. That being said, this part of the team NEEDS to get better. We can't have a repeat of the Baltimore game where we couldn't pick up a damn 1st down.

In regards to Bradley, he's also learning a new defense. I like what i've seen from his athletic skills in both the run and pass game. He's a big dude, looks like Romo out on the field. He just looks a step behind on reads like he's thinking too much. Time shoudl alleviate this. I dont' really care if he or Irvin play, we just need somebody who won't be a liability in either phase on the field like Mays was.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #56
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Relax people, M Ball will be the starter soon enough, and Hilman will be the back up. The telling stat is that M Ball got only 6 touches for an impressive 4.7 yds per carry against an excellent defense. Hilman got 13; heck, even L Ball got 7 for 2 yards.

I think the coaching staff is seeing growth in the kid each week and didn't need to see much more from him in a losing game. IDK if he starts before the Ravens game or after, but mark my words, he will start soon enough.
Agreed. In Ball's situation it isn't just running the ball anymore. He went from a very simple college offense to an NFL offense that is one of the most sophisticated and difficult to learn in the league. Once his brain catches up, he will settle down and we will see why the team drafted him.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #57
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Agreed. His blocking is very bad. He almost got Osweiler's knee blown out. Imagine if that was Manning taking that shot? Folks here would be up in arms. At this point you can't let this guy start, he's a situational pass catcher and is a liability in the blocking game. He has potential, no doubt but we hear all the time of the importance of backs that can block and if they can't, they don't play. Same thing goes for Thomas.
This is why even though Thomas may be athletically superior, I think Green will be the breakout TE for us.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #58
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,076
Default

Quote:
...if you aren't worried about the Broncos defense, I might suggest another ticket to HempFest on the Seattle waterfront. It runs through Sunday.

The Broncos have questions at defensive end, defensive tackle, middle linebacker and injuries piling up. Free-agent signing Terrance Knighton would be fortunate to make the 53-man roster, linebacker Shaun Phillips will be asked to play a larger role than expected, and middle linebacker Stewart Bradley, the starter for now, isn't fast, at all.

Did I mention Champ Bailey limped off the field during the second quarter?

John Fox said during a halftime interview that Bailey's "foot was bothering him."

Do you know whose foot wasn't bothering him? Jon Ryan, the punter in Seattle.

In the first half, the Broncos never forced the Seahawks to punt.

Worried yet about the Broncos defense?
http://gazette.com/klee-stop-less-in...stom_click=rss
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Agreed on Julius. Terrible blocking.

Might be time to split him out as a WR, where the only thing he'll have to block is a CB in the running game, and maybe a linebacker.
He can fill the role tamme fills. And he'll improve. You know whose blocking completely sucked as a young player? Shannon sharpe!

WR? You guys are so impatient and frustrating
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #60
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Agreed. His blocking is very bad. He almost got Osweiler's knee blown out. Imagine if that was Manning taking that shot? Folks here would be up in arms. At this point you can't let this guy start, he's a situational pass catcher and is a liability in the blocking game. He has potential, no doubt but we hear all the time of the importance of backs that can block and if they can't, they don't play. Same thing goes for Thomas.
Peyton woulda let go of that ball long before
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #61
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

That's a skewed article. Most of their scores came off our turnovers and special teams. I don't think the defense played that poorly. We got a turnover on downs and the second unit did some good things against their starting offense.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #62
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Jesus Christ.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #63
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,796
Default

Evidently another mane poster has found a job in the media.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #64
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I just loved how DT was owning Sherman in the first couple of drives!
Sherman is very good but not half as good as he thinks he is.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #65
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I think if hillman crossed the goal line, the attitude around here woukd be different. And that is so nonsensical it hurts
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #66
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think if hillman crossed the goal line, the attitude around here woukd be different. And that is so nonsensical it hurts
The only preseason game that matters is the fourth.

That's right, the FOURTH not the third.

In the fourth, the players try and fight like dogs because their jobs, their careers, their life-long dreams are on the line. We get to see the future of the Broncos, and, in when injury rears it's head, the next-man-up present of the Broncos.

Anyone taking first team preseason looks seriously should get smacked in the face.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #67
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Jesus Christ.
Yah, probably overly dramatic. But he makes some fair points worth discussion. MLB was an issue last year and it appears it will be again this year. Knighton doesn't appear to be what we were hoping. We lost Doom. We might be without Von for 4 weeks. DRC is hurt. Now Champ and Wolfe are hurt and we don't know for how long. Etc. Not time for a nervous breakdown but there is certainly reason for at least some mild concern.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,980
Default

Sherman is ****ing POS.

I can't wait until that team fails miserably. Seattle pisses me off, ****ing win something before acting like you are a 4 time super bowl champ.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #69
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Sherman is ****ing POS.

I can't wait until that team fails miserably. Seattle pisses me off, ****ing win something before acting like you are a 4 time super bowl champ.
Yep I hate Carroll and his whole ****ing attitude and that team. His son is a good young coach tho.
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #70
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief
 
winstoncup bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NEW YORK CITY, USA
Posts: 5,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yah, probably overly dramatic. But he makes some fair points worth discussion. MLB was an issue last year and it appears it will be again this year. Knighton doesn't appear to be what we were hoping. We lost Doom. We might be without Von for 4 weeks. DRC is hurt. Now Champ and Wolfe are hurt and we don't know for how long. Etc. Not time for a nervous breakdown but there is certainly reason for at least some mild concern.
I agree. Injuries in the preseason aren't any less serious because the season hasn't started.

I honestly believe the Broncos were caught off-guard last night. It just seemed like the Seahawks took this game much more seriously, as if they wanted to send a message to the league and the Las Vegas favorites. Denver was looking at a glorified scrimmage, Seattle was looking at a playoff game.

In any event, some random thoughts I have are:

1. Ramirez is an abomination. The laziness in not downing the guy in the endzone is unforgivable, and a cuttable offense if he wasn't the only guy with the work at C.

2. Hillman hit the hole hard and looked decisive, but damn he can't break a tackle. Ball looked okay, not as good as I expected, but better than the beating he's taking on here.

3. I swear, Manning still throws a wobbly ball. It's getting there, yes, but I don't like that wobble on every throw.

4. Offense is going to be just fine, and will compensate for any injuries to the D for the time being.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #71
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,963

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He can fill the role tamme fills. And he'll improve. You know whose blocking completely sucked as a young player? Shannon sharpe!

WR? You guys are so impatient and frustrating
Nobody is saying cut the guy. He deserves some criticism for his blocking. It needs to improve. Stop attacking anybody's post criticizing the guy, rightfully so. He's young, but he needs to step it up. Same with Hillman. He needs to not fumble away the one aspect he has going for him, getting open and catching passes. That's all.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I agree. Injuries in the preseason aren't any less serious because the season hasn't started.

I honestly believe the Broncos were caught off-guard last night. It just seemed like the Seahawks took this game much more seriously, as if they wanted to send a message to the league and the Las Vegas favorites. Denver was looking at a glorified scrimmage, Seattle was looking at a playoff game.

In any event, some random thoughts I have are:

1. Ramirez is an abomination. The laziness in not downing the guy in the endzone is unforgivable, and a cuttable offense if he wasn't the only guy with the work at C.

2. Hillman hit the hole hard and looked decisive, but damn he can't break a tackle. Ball looked okay, not as good as I expected, but better than the beating he's taking on here.

3. I swear, Manning still throws a wobbly ball. It's getting there, yes, but I don't like that wobble on every throw.

4. Offense is going to be just fine, and will compensate for any injuries to the D for the time being.
I wrote this in another thread, I'll say it again. Back in like 05-06, CBS did a segment on Peyton's wobbly passes and it included Marvin Harrison laughing about it and implying that it doesn't matter because it always gets there. Peyton had two or three real wobblers yesterday and both reach their target with great accuracy. Nothing to see here
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #73
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Nobody is saying cut the guy. He deserves some criticism for his blocking. It needs to improve. Stop attacking anybody's post criticizing the guy, rightfully so. He's young, but he needs to step it up. Same with Hillman. He needs to not fumble away the one aspect he has going for him, getting open and catching passes. That's all.
I'm criticizing the "lets move him to wr" comment because it was silly.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #74
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,963

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

You were jumping all over folks including me for criticizing him in the game thread. Open up your eyes, criticizing a problem is not an issues. He's a 3rd year guy and it's time for him to step the F up. He should be better at blocking and fumbling is a huge issue for any team. If he can hold onto the ball, he'll be a weapon in the passing game but you can't make the club as a TE unless you can keep the $17 million dollar QB upright when you're called to stay in and protect.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #75
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I agree. Injuries in the preseason aren't any less serious because the season hasn't started.

I honestly believe the Broncos were caught off-guard last night. It just seemed like the Seahawks took this game much more seriously, as if they wanted to send a message to the league and the Las Vegas favorites. Denver was looking at a glorified scrimmage, Seattle was looking at a playoff game.

In any event, some random thoughts I have are:

1. Ramirez is an abomination. The laziness in not downing the guy in the endzone is unforgivable, and a cuttable offense if he wasn't the only guy with the work at C.

2. Hillman hit the hole hard and looked decisive, but damn he can't break a tackle. Ball looked okay, not as good as I expected, but better than the beating he's taking on here.

3. I swear, Manning still throws a wobbly ball. It's getting there, yes, but I don't like that wobble on every throw.

4. Offense is going to be just fine, and will compensate for any injuries to the D for the time being.

He did that twice on fumbles. Just looked at it. You know if you dont want to be there...maybe the Front Office should make sure that happens. That was just complete lack of awareness. Fall on the ball for ****'s sake.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Denver Broncos