The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #51
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Now we have shown that IQ is meaningless too,” Dr Highfield said.
He's at odds with the establishment of psychology as well as decades of IQ studies which have shown it to be proven valid. That's pretty wild. I'd suggest his politics are somewhere to the left.

Let's face it though, this wouldn't be an issue if these IQ tests were slathered in equals signs. It's that they aren't is why people become hostile and defensive and try to dismiss them, much like some Christians have been known to do with whatever contradicts their faith as well.

The problem here is that you are talking about "a study," when these IQ studies are compiled studies by many different people over decades. See the problem?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #52
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Don't forget this part:

For my part, I’ve come to doubt the existence of something called “g” or general intelligence, as the research has gathered over the years. I believe IQ is an artificial construct created to predict how well a random person is likely to do in an advanced post-industrial society. And that’s all it is. It certainly shouldn’t be conflated with some Platonic idea of “intelligence.” I don’t think it carries any moral weight at all, either, and I don’t think it should be used in any way in immigration policy. In fact, any public policy that rests on this kind of data is anathema to me. It’s far too close to eugenics, and to the morally repugnant idea that smarter people are somehow better in any meaningful sense.
Too bad I didn't learn that in psych. Notice he says, "For my part..." IQ has been proven valid by decades of research and the scientific method. The fact that this guy invokes trash neo-Marxist terms such as "artificial construct" tell me all I have to know about this guy.

I smell Karl Marx.

You fall for this ****?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #53
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
There is a correlation in this. I certainly didn't invent it nor did I invent anything I said about IQ and the heritability of IQ. Perhaps the issue is you need to look beyond anthro?
No, not really.

You had stated previously that higher CC = higher intellectual capabilities, which is false. You also provided studies generally dismissed in almost unanimous fashion by the AAA and APA.

Intelligence is a polygenic trait. What difference in genes exists among races that bear your IQ / Race arguments out?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #54
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
No, not really.

You had stated previously that higher CC = higher intellectual capabilities, which is false. You also provided studies generally dismissed in almost unanimous fashion by the AAA and APA.

Intelligence is a polygenic trait. What difference in genes exists among races that bear your IQ / Race arguments out?
There is a positive correlation that has been shown. Keep in mind your anthro heroes such as Gould were worried about it enough to use bogus data about cranial capacity to attack Morton which I have already referenced. There is also a well-known correlation between function and size of the parts of the brain, such as the pons. Bipeds have much larger ones than quadrupeds due to the necessity for higher and more sophisticated function in maintaining balance. Are there exceptions to the rule? Quite possibly but they don't invalidate the general rule.

I'd love to see where these studies are "dismissed in almost unanimous fashion by the AAA and APA." On the contrary; these are published in peer-reviewed journals. You don't seem to understand that this is literally decades of compiled data done by many international researchers. It's not a few rogues.

I wouldn't know what trait differences there are. That I don't know of any is isn't relevant. It doesn't mean they don't exist. There are known physical and genetic differences among the human races. They even respond differently to medications. Why people would deny this is idiotic. Indeed, there is a blossoming research field of race-based medicine which politically correct neurotics are trying to suppress fearing "Hitler."
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #55
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Too bad I didn't learn that in psych. Notice he says, "For my part..." IQ has been proven valid by decades of research and the scientific method. The fact that this guy invokes trash neo-Marxist terms such as "artificial construct" tell me all I have to know about this guy.

I smell Karl Marx.

You fall for this ****?
The Heritage Foundation could smear **** on cookies and you Right Wingers would gobble them up.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #56
W*GS
Ring of Famer

As expected, two of our resident right-wing knuckledraggers (but I repeat myself) are attempting to use (manipulate, cherry-pick, and otherwise mutilate) science to rationalize their bigotry.

Nothing new, in other words.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #57
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Heritage Foundation could smear **** on cookies and you Right Wingers would gobble them up.
Obama: Eating poop is bad.
Sean Beckbaugh: Poop is the best thing for you - eat lots every day!
Mindless minions: Yum, yum, yum. Please poop on us so we can eat!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #58
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
If all else fails, lob ad hominem. You actually think that makes facts you don't like go away? Notice how the clown you quoted admitted that his personal views impacted his opinion on IQ studies.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 08-13-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
As expected, two of our resident right-wing knuckledraggers (but I repeat myself) are attempting to use (manipulate, cherry-pick, and otherwise mutilate) science to rationalize their bigotry.

Nothing new, in other words.
Great, give us an example. Even egalitarians have come up with studies on the topic that show not only the heritability aspect of IQ, but also the unequal distribution of it in world populations. Refer to the Minnesota Transracial Adoption Study, founded in part by the United States government, not the KKK.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 08-13-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #60
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Their messiah limbaugh recently stated that if you believe in god then man cannot be blamed for global warming...
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #61
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Great, give us an example. Even egalitarians have come up with studies on the topic that show not only the heritability aspect of IQ, but also the unequal distribution of it in world populations. Refer to the Minnesota Transracial Adoption Study, founded in part by the United States government, not the KKK.
Like I said, you're misusing science to justify bigotry.

Since when is a thoroughgoing right-winger such as yourself using the same collectivist bullshyte that hardcore lefties use?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Since when is a thoroughgoing right-winger such as yourself using the same collectivist bullshyte that hardcore lefties use?
When they have been indoctrinated as Marxists?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #63
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
If all else fails, lob ad hominem. You actually think that makes facts you don't like go away? Notice how the clown you quoted admitted that his personal views impacted his opinion on IQ studies.
Notice that I didn't post that piece? It was posted by your fuhrer, txtebow. I was responding to his post. Clue? Rent one.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #64
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
You're the one who brought up the study. I'm just trying to get you to admit what the policy implications are. That's what it's all about. Even the writer sums up the article with that point.

You tell me what the policy implications are.
"Implications" shouldn't get in the way of science, yet that's exactly what has happened with this subject, just like in the old days when it was heresy to say the earth was round and orbits the sun, which I believe was the point txtebow was correctly making on this thread.

People need to shut up and let science go where it may, and many people simply cannot handle it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Their messiah limbaugh recently stated that if you believe in god then man cannot be blamed for global warming...
He appreciates your listening to his show.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #66
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Notice that I didn't post that piece? It was posted by your fuhrer, txtebow. I was responding to his post. Clue? Rent one.
I can't see where it came from. I see a broken link in one of tx's posts that I cannot look up. Whoever wrote it was disingenuous.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #67
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Interestingly, that study received a lot of coverage. Apparently our resident 'race' expert didn't like its findings.

IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence,
according to a study which found that a minimum of three
different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...elligence.html
Who needs years of valid psychological testing in intelligence and its heritability when you have the news media and their version of science?

Hint: "A study." Not the overall consensus which is that IQ testing is valid and due to that is in frequent use.

Though as txtebow already stated in this thread, with the left, IQ never matters until its time to invoke low IQ as a reason to not execute a murderer.

Funny how that works.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #68
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
There is a positive correlation that has been shown.
Lol, no there hasn't been.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #69
nyuk nyuk

Quote:

So what about the data in this test indicates that I am guilty of what you claim? That I state accurately what the test result says, which is that outcomes in IQ testing are not equal? Indeed not only are they not equal, they are consistently unequal. Or is that the researchers concede IQ has a genetic component which is commonly taught in even FRESHMAN psychology which the egalitarian dimwits on this forum still cannot wrap their heads around? If it is merely a justification for bigotry, then clearly the NIH is also responsible for this since they helped fund the testing which didn't come out with results that you find acceptable.

Your beef isn't with me, it's with science itself and your attempts to keep together your egalitarian house of cards.

If all else fails, you could do what I saw done in a current-issue Sociology textbook. Admit the 15 point white-black IQ gap exists and with a quick stroke of a brush-off in spite of lack of evidence to the effect, blame it on whitey.

I'm not against collectivism in and of itself necessarily, just the left-wing version of it. I reject extreme individualism which is partly why I'm not a fan of Rand.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
So what about the data in this test indicates that I am guilty of what you claim? That I state accurately what the test result says, which is that outcomes in IQ testing are not equal? Indeed not only are they not equal, they are consistently unequal. Or is that the researchers concede IQ has a genetic component which is commonly taught in even FRESHMAN psychology which the egalitarian dimwits on this forum still cannot wrap their heads around? If it is merely a justification for bigotry, then clearly the NIH is also responsible for this since they helped fund the testing which didn't come out with results that you find acceptable.

Your beef isn't with me, it's with science itself and your attempts to keep together your egalitarian house of cards.

If all else fails, you could do what I saw done in a current-issue Sociology textbook. Admit the 15 point white-black IQ gap exists and with a quick stroke of a brush-off in spite of lack of evidence to the effect, blame it on whitey.

I'm not against collectivism in and of itself necessarily, just the left-wing version of it. I reject extreme individualism which is partly why I'm not a fan of Rand.
There's such a thing as Right Wing collectivism?

You hate egalitarianism? You must despise the Bill of Rights.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #71
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He appreciates your listening to his show.
I appreciate seeing your ilk following along like good little sheep. Shouldn't you be praying?
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #72
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Lol, no there hasn't been.
Ok then why did Gould do what he did?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #73
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
I appreciate seeing your ilk following along like good little sheep. Shouldn't you be praying?
I'm not religious and I don't listen to him. Perhaps entering the adult world and having adult conversations instead of b****ing at caricatures are in order today?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So what about the data in this test indicates that I am guilty of what you claim?
Because one potentially-flawed study based on a flawed and insufficient measure isn't enough to declare blacks inherently more stupid than whites.

Like I said, misusing science to justify your bigotry.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
There's such a thing as Right Wing collectivism?

You hate egalitarianism? You must despise the Bill of Rights.
1. Dictionary
2. Pre-civil rights era Constitution was not egalitarian. Note the slaves.