The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
SlyEli

Default Broncos Restructure Kuper's Contract

"Kupe and I have talked about this several times all that matters for him right now is he gets healthy," Broncos coach John Fox said.

Kuper is not expected to be cleared to practice until next week, and then only on a limited basis. The hope is Kuper can test his ankle in the fourth and final preseason game Aug. 29 against Arizona.

Until then, the Broncos have to start setting their salary-capped payroll. What is certain is Kuper won't play this season on the $4.5 million salary he is scheduled to make under his current contract. That's fair money for a player who started 78 games the previous six seasons but too steep for a guard who because of injury is not expected to start this season, at least not right away.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...m-restructures

Last edited by JCMElway; 08-13-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
SlyEli

There's been a lot of talk of cutting his big contract but I'd much rather have them restructure to a reasonable deal and keep him as depth. If he's healthy he may even be an upgrade over beadles.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
There's been a lot of talk of cutting his big contract but I'd much rather have them restructure to a reasonable deal and keep him as depth. If he's healthy he may even be an upgrade over beadles.
if we end up cutting him because we can't afford the deal after paying our punter a hundred million dollars I'll be pretty mad.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
if we end up cutting him because we can't afford the deal after paying our punter a hundred million dollars I'll be pretty mad.
The best punter in the NFL is more valuable than some broke down ustabe starter. Kuper has to re-sign if he gets cut then has to rehabilitate and find a new team he will probably get league minimium.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
I know, the nerve of the team paying a productive starter!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Kuper is pretty broken down and I have my doubts if he can play at a high level again. Paycut or hit the road for Kuper. I have no problem giving a Punter some dough because they have a big effect on the game.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Kuper is pretty broken down and I have my doubts if he can play at a high level again. Paycut or hit the road for Kuper. I have no problem giving a Punter some dough because they have a big effect on the game.
I agree that punters have a big effect on a game.

But it just doesn't seem right that Welker is only making a million more per year than our PUNTER.....did I say P U N T E R ?!?!

If you assume our offense will be good enough this year that our punting unit might see the field 4 times per game......and each of those plays takes about 10-15 seconds of game clock......the punter is on the field for ONE MINUTE of game time.

Punters and kickers are the highest paid players PER AMOUNT OF TIME PLAYED of any player on the field......by a very long shot.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Broncos agree to terms on restructured contract with guard chris kuper

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/367282573245816832
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope they work something out, it'd be a shame to lose him entirely.

It depends on Kuper's priorities, I suppose. If he really wants to make a go of things in Denver I expect the two sides will find a common ground. He might prefer to get cut and then test the FA market though, couldn't blame him for that in all honesty.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Salary goes from 4.5 mil non-guarantee to 1.05 mil guaranteed. Another 1.7 mil in play time bonuses. Chris kuper next step is recovery

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/367283322193330176
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well now my post seems redundant.

Great news, hope he can get healthy again.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Salary goes from 4.5 mil non-guarantee to 1.05 mil guaranteed. Another 1.7 mil in play time bonuses. Chris kuper next step is recovery

Makes sense, glad Kupe is remaining a Bronco.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

I like the decency and fair play displayed in the Broncos contracts under the Elway regime. This will not go unnoticed by the players around the league. All the contracts appear to be realistic and fair to both sides.

Nice touch to change Kupes deal from all non guaranteed to guaranteeing 1 mil + playing time bonus' and the reduction is fair to both sides.

Last edited by baja; 08-13-2013 at 08:08 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Absolutely love to keep Kuper and good work by the FO to get this deal done.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This was a long time in the making.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

I hope Kuper can come back and play at a high level. I love his toughness!
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Broncos & G Chris Kuper redo his deal: Final 2 years unchanged. This year, can make $1.1M to $2.8M depending on play time. $1.05M guaranteed

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/367286063263666176

Kuper is due to make $5M next year and $5.5M the year after that...
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I like the decency and fair play displayed in the Broncos contracts under the Elway regime. This will not go unnoticed by the players around the league. All the contracts appear to be realistic and fair to both sides.

Nice touch to change Kupes deal from all non guaranteed to guaranteeing 1 mil + playing time bonus' and the reduction is fair to both sides.
I agree somewhat, really Denver played this out to avoid an injury settlement and it played out in their favor. They played chicken, Kupe ended up with pretty much no option.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing anyone...it was smart business. Just saying, it's probably not a real "feel good" story. In any case, glad he is staying, awesome depth.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

But it just doesn't seem right that Welker is only making a million more per year than our PUNTER.....did I say P U N T E R ?!?!

If you assume our offense will be good enough this year that our punting unit might see the field 4 times per game......and each of those plays takes about 10-15 seconds of game clock......the punter is on the field for ONE MINUTE of game time.

Punters and kickers are the highest paid players PER AMOUNT OF TIME PLAYED of any player on the field......by a very long shot.
Isn't Welker getting 12 mil over 2 years and the P getting 13.something over 4 years?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Broncos & G Chris Kuper redo his deal: Final 2 years unchanged. This year, can make $1.1M to $2.8M depending on play time. $1.05M guaranteed

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/367286063263666176

Kuper is due to make $5M next year and $5.5M the year after that...
Basically a one year rental. No way does he get 5 plus mil the next couple years.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I agree somewhat, really Denver played this out to avoid an injury settlement and it played out in their favor. They played chicken, Kupe ended up with pretty much no option.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing anyone...it was smart business. Just saying, it's probably not a real "feel good" story. In any case, glad he is staying, awesome depth.
I don't understand. The Broncos are giving Kupe a chance to recover and play again that seems like that would be what Kupe wants. You can't keep paying a guy 5 mil that is on the sidelines. I bet this is what Kupe wanted rather than an injury settlement. If there is a question mark here it would be letting he come back before he was completely healed but maybe there was no way to analyze that.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

Yeah this isn't true at all.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Basically a one year rental. No way does he get 5 plus mil the next couple years.
You don't know that nobody does.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post

Exactly and the same goes for the Dumerville offer.

Elway is a smart GM. Hard to believe he may end as good

a GM as a QB.................

Last edited by Jetmeck; 08-13-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post

You don't pay a injured guy top dollar money when you don't know the final end game of his recovery....................

A lot of teams would prob tried to jettison him.

Broncos were fair on this deal..........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote