The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #126
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Davis went nutso on special teams to get noticed and our RB's weren't nearly as talent that year. This is not even close to the same situation.

Obscure running back (TD) leapfrogs three backs ahead of him to win starting job. I'd say it fits very well as a response to the post claiming there was no chance CJ would be the starter this season.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #127
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMagic View Post
Because the three in front of him are so great? Montee is the only unknown. Hillman and Moreno are terrible.
Good lord, it's been one preseason game. Hillman is #1 until someone takes it from him and Ball is the only one likely to do so.
Way too many fans trying to crown a UDFA as the next starting Broncos RB.

Anderson looked good last night, he's earned more reps but that doesn't mean he's overtaking anyone.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #128
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Obscure running back (TD) leapfrogs three backs ahead of him to win starting job. I'd say it fits very well as a response to the post claiming there was no chance CJ would be the starter this season.
TD was a HOF player in his prime and rushed for 2,000 yards in a season.
Anderson is not TD.
That'd be like trying to compare a 13th round pick in the MLB to Albert Pujols because he was drafted by the Cardinals.
It's not the same situation.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #129
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Anderson is not TD.
That'd be like trying to compare a 13th round pick in the MLB to Albert Pujols because he was drafted by the Cardinals.
I think you have completely missed the point. TD was once as obscure as CJ Anderson, that is the single comparison being made.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #130
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I think you have completely missed the point. TD was once as obscure as CJ Anderson, that is the single comparison being made.
No, it is you who is missing the point.
TD's career and career trajectory is as rare if not more so than Tom Brady's.
It's not likely to happen to the Broncos again in our lifetimes.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #131
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Bingo!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #132
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Rod Smith.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #133
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I take that to mean that he's the current #4 RB and has a chance to solidify a roster spot. He's not gonna leapfrog all three of our current top guys and start.

baja - Terrell Davis did - just sayin.

Nobody is talking career trajectory. The only comparison here is both players started as lowly regarded running backs one of which went from that lowly status to start. This was pointed out to you when you made your above quoted statement.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #134
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Shanny himself said it was that hit that caught the eye of the coaches before that he was buried in the depth chart and getting almost reps. He had been injured coming out of Georgia and was being over looked. Almost positive Shanny said TD was going to be among the next wave of cuts had it not been for that hit on ST
That's the way I remember it.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #135
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I take that to mean that he's the current #4 RB and has a chance to solidify a roster spot. He's not gonna leapfrog all three of our current top guys and start.

baja - Terrell Davis did - just sayin.

Nobody is talking career trajectory. The only comparison here is both players started as lowly regarded running backs one of which went from that lowly status to start. This was pointed out to you when you made your above quoted statement.
That doesn't work. You can't compare players and then ignore what happened in the career of the player you mention.
When you compare a player to another you compare the entirety of their career whether you want to or not.
TD being obscure and then leap frogging others to make the roster and have meaningful playing time is rare for a UDFA to do.
Even rarer for one team to do it more than once.

If you wanted to say you had faith in him to become a player for us that's one thing.
But to mention TD and then attempt to qualify it as a comparison in situation only when they're not similar it not feasible.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #136
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Quote:
Good lord, it's been one preseason game. Hillman is #1 until someone takes it from him and Ball is the only one likely to do so.
Way too many fans trying to crown a UDFA as the next starting Broncos RB.

Anderson looked good last night, he's earned more reps but that doesn't mean he's overtaking anyone.
Yeah, Hillman has accomplished so much for this club. How dare anyone think his stranglehold on that #1 job could be in jeopardy. Those undrafted free agents have no shot, especially on this team. I mean, can you imagine us actually starting an undrafted free agent, let alone, multiple!?!

Last edited by MileHighMagic; 08-10-2013 at 11:27 PM..
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #137
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

The Mane has just destined CJ Anderson as the next practice squad hero. J.Johnson has now past the crown to CJ. Let us see if he gets the "MF" moniker too.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #138
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Anderson is not TD.
So what if Anderson isn't TD?

Maybe he is maybe he isn't, but it's sure fun to have hope for a player. That's what camp and preseason are all about. Seems some here have forgotten that.

I like CJ, there were a few plays I swore would be losses yet he gained a yard or two. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #139
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Of course it's not LIKELY to happen, but there are parallels ... obscure Juco start, transferred into a shuffle of backs in a big program, somewhat overlooked because of that. It looks like Anderson has that one-cut gene, too.

And don't let the fireplug appearance mislead you, check this out:

Quote:
C.J. Anderson, RB, California
Anderson participated in the 2013 NFL Combine, ranking among the event's top running backs in the 20-yard shuttle (T3rd, 4.12) and broad jump (T13th, 119.0").

3rd in the short shuttle? That's sick for a guy built like him ... It's 9 straight years now an undrafted rookie RB has made the roster, don't bet against a 10th.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #140
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Interesting to watch. On a couple plays he looks like Ron Dayne ... but then on a couple others he looks like the cheerleders from Jetmeck's high school ...

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #141
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
That doesn't work. You can't compare players and then ignore what happened in the career of the player you mention.
When you compare a player to another you compare the entirety of their career whether you want to or not.
TD being obscure and then leap frogging others to make the roster and have meaningful playing time is rare for a UDFA to do.

If you wanted to say you had faith in him to become a player for us that's one thing.
But to mention TD and then attempt to qualify it as a comparison in situation only when they're not similar it not feasible.
Steve Young and Tim Tebow are both left handed. Oh but wait I can't make that comparison unless they have similar career trajectories.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #142
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:

Thick headed, huh ?
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #143
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

He reminds me more of Jamall Anderson than TD.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #144
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Shanny himself said it was that hit that caught the eye of the coaches before that he was buried in the depth chart and getting almost reps. He had been injured coming out of Georgia and was being over looked. Almost positive Shanny said TD was going to be among the next wave of cuts had it not been for that hit on ST
I don't remember hearing/reading that, but apologies if I was off with my post. I agree that it would be pretty cool if he could make an impact as an UDFA.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #145
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I'm thinking you guys are missing the obvious... PT Anderson reminds me of Ed Mccaffrey
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #146
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #147
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

He is clearly a slower, thicker Maurice Jones-Drew.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #148
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He is clearly a slower, thicker Maurice Jones-Drew.
More like a shorter thicker more tan Eddie Mac.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #149
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

This the number one thing I miss from the Shanahan era. Your play on the field dictated your place on the field. With Shanahan it didn't matter if you were a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder, the highest paid guy on the team or a practice squad player. If you played better than the guy in front of you, you got a shot. Fox is all about the veterans.

Last edited by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun; 08-11-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #150
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Anderson hasn't had a career yet. So how can you compare Tds whole career to nothing. So hes comparing the beginning.Believe it or not, Td was a no name who came into the league and made a name for himself later. He was not the great back we saw during the super bowl years. If we went by first years Mike Andreson should be in the Hall of fame. Unless you have a magic crystal ball their is no way you can say how C.J. Anderson career will go.
Quote:
TD was drafted, unless your talking about someone else

Quote:
Every late round rb that shows a little promise can be compared to tds situation. Td wasn't a 2000 yard rusher or playoff mvp when he came into the league. It is possible for any of them to be a starter.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote