The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Stanford to retire John Elway's No. 7 jersey

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) Thirty years after he left school, Stanford football is retiring John Elway's No. 7 jersey.

The former Cardinal quarterback and No. 1 overall pick of the 1983 NFL draft will have his jersey retired during halftime of Stanford's home game against Oregon on Nov. 7. Elway, now the executive vice president of the Denver Broncos, will be only the third player to have his jersey enshrined by the school, joining Ernie Nevers ( No. 1) and Jim Plunkett (No. 16).

"I am extremely humbled that Stanford has chosen to recognize me in this very special way," Elway said in a statement released by the university. "It's a tremendous honor to join Cardinal legends Ernie Nevers and Jim Plunkett with this distinction. Being a student-athlete at Stanford and earning my degree from the school are two things I take the utmost pride in accomplishing.

"Without question, my four years at Stanford played an integral role in who I am and any success I've had. In particular, my teammates and coaches deserve so much credit for making me better, both on and off the field. I will always cherish my time on campus as well as the friendships from Stanford that have lasted more than 30 years. I look forward to returning for this occasion and celebrating with the great Cardinal fans."

Wide receiver Ty Montgomery and defensive end Aziz ****tu both wear No. 7 currently. They will be the last to wear that jersey at Stanford.

Elway threw for 9,349 yards and 77 touchdowns while completing 62 percent of his passes at Stanford. He held nearly every major passing record most of them since shattered by Andrew Luck when he left school. Elway still owns the single-game record with six touchdown passes in a 54-13 win against Oregon State on Nov. 1, 1980.

Elway was the Pac-10 Conference Player of the Year in 1980 and 1982, when he also was a consensus All-American. After the Cardinal lost at rival California on the infamous lateral play in his final collegiate game, Elway finished second to Herschel Walker in the 1982 Heisman Trophy voting.

The Baltimore Colts drafted Elway with the top pick in the 1983 draft and traded him to Denver, where he led the Broncos to five Super Bowl appearances and two titles. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2000 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004.

"Today is an exciting day for Stanford football, and you can't talk about Stanford football without talking about John Elway," said third-year Cardinal coach David Shaw. "Like Frankie Albert and Jim Plunkett before him, John's Elway's greatness set the standard for quarterback play for a generation of athletes."

http://news.yahoo.com/stanford-retir...184411229.html
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Congrats to John, well deserved!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
nyuk nyuk

What took so long??!!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Wide receiver Ty Montgomery and defensive end Aziz ****tu both wear No. 7 currently. They will be the last to wear that jersey at Stanford.
The filter censored the first four letters of Aziz's last name. That's some funny stuff...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
What took so long??!!
I don't think there are anymore raider fans at stanford

**** YOU NOCAL
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
What took so long??!!
With Standford rich in Rose Bowl dynasty and #1 rankings in College Football, they needed to make sure Elway was the real deal and would not be the laughing joke of college football. You know it takes more than 2 Super Bowl rings, being a HOF QB in the NFL and being a successful business man to join the ranks of Nevers and Plunkett. They had to do their due diligence on this one and that can take many years or decades in this instance.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
With Standford rich in Rose Bowl dynasty and #1 rankings in College Football, they needed to make sure Elway was the real deal and would not be the laughing joke of college football. You know it takes more than 2 Super Bowl rings, being a HOF QB in the NFL and being a successful business man to join the ranks of Nevers and Plunkett. They had to do their due diligence on this one and that can take many years or decades in this instance.
Plus John donating a large sum of $...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic

I will be there.....

GO Cardinal!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Plus John donating a large sum of $...
I actually think that is what got his numbered retired. All the other things were "Meh, pretty good but is it Plunkett, Nevers good?" Money talked obviously.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'll bet they don't wait thirty years to retire Luck's.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
It's mind boggling. Your sarcasm made me shake my head several times as it brought to the forefront how absurd this really is. Join the ranks of Nevers and Plunkett? Un****ingbelievable.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
It's mind boggling. Your sarcasm made me shake my head several times as it brought to the forefront how absurd this really is. Join the ranks of Nevers and Plunkett? Un****ingbelievable.
Thanks Gunns. Now we might not see a poster who actually thought my post was not tongue in cheek.